• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Arnie

2zh15wj.png

Collectors Edition should be with me tomorrow. SVER GAF will be unstoppable.

Cornbread78 said:
I know they are our brothers from over seas, but doesn anyone else find it funny they call it "Royal Mail" :lol

Not really, it was originally created for 'royalty' i think early 1600's, remind me what you guys where upto around then ? :D

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Kenak said:
Wait, does the game come with a headset? Or is it a $60 multiplayer only game?

Yep. Though, I've spent worse on multiplayer only games, nevermind absurd amounts of cash towards MMO's.

Apath

Lonestar said:
Yep. Though, I've spent worse on multiplayer only games, nevermind absurd amounts of cash towards MMO's.
Arnie said:
Multiplayer only. Highly worth it though if you enjoy competitive multiplayer shooters.
I played and enjoyed the beta, but I'm too cheap to spend $60 for a multiplayer only game. As I said earlier in the thread, I'll just wait on a B2G1 free deal and toss this one in there with Mass Effect 2.

Violater

Sigh.. Moving on

Good games last night Click.
I started getting some weird network issues around 12:30 and decided to call it a night.
Hopefully things get ironed out this week.

depward

Had a lot of fun with Raven GAF last night. Good stuff! Yeah we lost a good deal of them but, dang, it seemed like for all four / five hours of playtime I put in yesterday, Raven was always attacking. For attacking in Sabatoge, I feel like we have a fighting chance against Valor. I've only beat SVER ONCE; actually, I've only unlocked objective C twice (one time being last night with that strong late-game push we had... almost had it!).

Once Raven GAF gets some unlocks and we get some better weaponry + specialized classes rolling, I think we'll be juuuust fine :D

Lonestar

depward said:
Had a lot of fun with Raven GAF last night. Good stuff! Yeah we lost a good deal of them but, dang, it seemed like for all four / five hours of playtime I put in yesterday, Raven was always attacking. For attacking in Sabatoge, I feel like we have a fighting chance against Valor. I've only beat SVER ONCE; actually, I've only unlocked objective C twice (one time being last night with that strong late-game push we had... almost had it!).

Once Raven GAF gets some unlocks and we get some better weaponry + specialized classes rolling, I think we'll be juuuust fine :D

Aye. Upset that I think I wasted a point on heavy machine gun reload speed, instead of going to claymore mines. Seeing that poison gas grenade option at the end of that tier :D

Vinci

Danish
Lonestar said:
Aye. Upset that I think I wasted a point on heavy machine gun reload speed, instead of going to claymore mines. Seeing that poison gas grenade option at the end of that tier :D

In Beta, my first six points went to: Med Kit, Res, and then AP Mines. Not saying that's a template everyone should follow, but it's damn helpful.

Kenak said:
I played and enjoyed the beta, but I'm too cheap to spend $60 for a multiplayer only game. As I said earlier in the thread, I'll just wait on a B2G1 free deal and toss this one in there with Mass Effect 2.

there are some deals out for MAG. If you're in the US, Amazon is offering the game for $56.99 and a $10 gift card for a future game purchase. The bluetooth headset is also on sale for $40. I got the game for free and the headset for like $20 with a gift card I had though.

Violater

I'm sorry I have to comment on this $60 for an online only bitchfest.
Can't tell you the amount of games that have both SP and online and will never come close to the amount of hours I will put into MAG.
I guess this is the flipside of "X" game has not online component so its not deserving of a high score or its price tag. BS

Vinci

Danish
Violater said:
I'm sorry I have to comment on this $60 for an online only bitchfest.
Can't tell you the amount of games that have both SP and online and will never come close to the amount of hours I will put into MAG.
I guess this is the flipside of "X" game has not online component so its not deserving of a high score or its price tag. BS

One of the reasons I'm holding off on a purchase is, in fact, due to the lack of other play options. You can disagree with that, but if (for whatever reason) this game's community goes south fast, it becomes essentially useless. See: Anyone who bought Fat Princess recently and wants to play it online. Fortunately, Fat Princess has some offline content.

Lonestar

Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 2 were worth the price of admission, for it's large scale battles. It's offline component was the MP game with crummy AI. MAG forgoes the AI, and instead, offers up to 128 opponents on 1 map to try and kill, which is twice the amount of players that the bigger BF maps would allow. Nevermind that you have 127 people on your side, and objectives. Throw in an experience system, with advancement in gear and stuff, it's now become an MMO. That you don't pay a monthly fee for.

Though yes, if the community goes south and leaves, like some MMO's, the game is more or less done for.

I wasn't interested in this game at alllllllllllllllllll. Even after starting up the beta and playing for like half hour. But after reading through some of the comments it does sound really cool. I didn't know you get like experience points to distribute. Thats pretty sweet. I must be really missing some cool stuff.

sk3tch

TrAcEr_x90 said:
I wasn't interested in this game at alllllllllllllllllll. Even after starting up the beta and playing for like half hour. But after reading through some of the comments it does sound really cool. I didn't know you get like experience points to distribute. Thats pretty sweet. I must be really missing some cool stuff.

That's the tough thing about first impressions with this game. I was initially turned off, too. I gave it another go and now I'm hooked. You need like 2-3 hours to make a good assessment. It gets more fun as you unlock things and even if you suck you will unlock some fun stuff in a few hours of play.

Vinci

Danish
Lonestar said:
Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 2 were worth the price of admission, for it's large scale battles. It's offline component was the MP game with crummy AI. MAG forgoes the AI, and instead, offers up to 128 opponents on 1 map to try and kill, which is twice the amount of players that the bigger BF maps would allow. Nevermind that you have 127 people on your side, and objectives. Throw in an experience system, with advancement in gear and stuff, it's now become an MMO. That you don't pay a monthly fee for.

Though yes, if the community goes south and leaves, like some MMO's, the game is more or less done for.

MMOs are really hard to make work. Whether you make people pay to play them or not. PvP only (or centered) MMOs, in particular, tend to die quickly. There are exceptions, like EVE, but that's due to a lot of factors. Also, with leveling, you automatically turn people into min/maxers - something that most console games don't have to deal with.

Afrikan

Lonestar said:

last night after fighting for god knows how long, finally created a mini opening to outpost "B" to disarm the thing... I decided to make the move and ran in there to disarm it, but blew up soon as I ran in.

*sigh* after playing in the last Beta and playing the last two days...I totally forgot about Claymores being in the game, for some reason.

Vinci said:
MMOs are really hard to make work. Whether you make people pay to play them or not. PvP only (or centered) MMOs, in particular, tend to die quickly.
Honestly, we have yet to see a full PvP MMOFPS.
The only one I can think of without any PvE whatsoever is Planetside.

Vinci

Danish
theMrCravens said:
Honestly, we have yet to see a full PvP MMOFPS.
The only one I can think of without any PvE whatsoever is Planetside.

What do you think MAG is? And it doesn't matter in the slightest what genre (FPS, RPG, etc.) it belongs to, IMO.

Violater

Vinci said:
One of the reasons I'm holding off on a purchase is, in fact, due to the lack of other play options. You can disagree with that, but if (for whatever reason) this game's community goes south fast, it becomes essentially useless. See: Anyone who bought Fat Princess recently and wants to play it online. Fortunately, Fat Princess has some offline content.

Fair enough though the same can be said for any game, whether it has an offline component or not. But maybe that's just me as well because I hardly ever go back to the SP portion of a game.
Take MW2, KZ2, R2 for example, I had to force myself to finish the SP for these games, the stories/characters just did not interest me.

If I will argue anything is that $60 is too much to pay for any game period. Though that stance will not be met well here as people are always clamoring for overpriced filled with useless junk special editions.

No I don't think MAG will die out like most other online games did, though I do feel it is a problem that the entire experience is hinged to the temperament of of Zippers servers.

Wes

venison crêpe
Argh. The Argos SOCOM Confrontation and Headset trick didn't work :lol My local store only had the standard game :(

Violater said:
Fair enough though the same can be said for any game, whether it has an offline component or not. But maybe that's just me as well because I hardly ever go back to the SP portion of a game.
Take MW2, KZ2, R2 for example, I had to force myself to finish the SP for these games, the stories/characters just did not interest me.

If I will argue anything is that $60 is too much to pay for any game period. Though that stance will not be met well here as people are always clamoring for overpriced filled with useless junk special editions.

No I don't think MAG will die out like most other online games did, though I do feel it is a problem that the entire experience is hinged to the temperament of of Zippers servers.

with trade-in credit, promos, gift cards, etc anyone shelling out full price for any videogame is just wasting their money in my opinion. I haven't paid full price out of pocket for a videogame in a few years.

otakuderek

Man, this thread hype makes me really want to buy this at work tonight along with a headset! This game caught me totally off guard. Got $180 to spend in credit so I think this is happening :lol Any advice for a non-beta newbie?

Afrikan

Kenak said:

I understand what you mean, but I also think games like Warhawk and Socom kind of spoiled it for some of us...

but I posted this in another forum when this topic was also brought up...

the game has a special kind of dedicated server(s?) that Zipper put alot of time and money developing....and then on top of that it is basically like a MMO shooter.....so think of that extra $20 as a one time, life time subscription for this fun MMO shooter with no LAG....

I remember when most on the internet thought for sure there would be online monthly fees.

alas no pressure though...you'll join when you are ready...till then, just visit this thread daily.

theBishop

Banned
VendettaXXI said:
Man, this thread hype makes me really want to buy this at work tonight along with a headset! This game caught me totally off guard. Got $180 to spend in credit so I think this is happening :lol Any advice for a non-beta newbie?

Stick with your squad. Follow orders. Unlock at least the basic resuscitation early. And don't forget to change from "First Aid Kit" or "Medical Kit" in your Armory.

These things will get you points early so you can level up.

Vinci said:
What do you think MAG is? And it doesn't matter in the slightest what genre (FPS, RPG, etc.) it belongs to, IMO.
No, I meant before MAG.
256 players at once is pretty massive.

Although most people wouldn't define this as an "MMO" because there's no monthly fee.

Violater

Jesse Jane said:
with trade-in credit, promos, gift cards, etc anyone shelling out full price for any videogame is just wasting their money in my opinion. I haven't paid full price out of pocket for a videogame in a few years.

Gamestop is the devil, so I would never advise anyone to trade in or buy their used games, but that's a whole diff topic.

Lonestar

VendettaXXI said:

Get in one of our clans, make the resusitation item your immediate goal, find someone who knows what they're doing, and stick near them.

Violater said:
Gamestop is the devil, so I would never advise anyone to trade in or buy their used games, but that's a whole diff topic.

haha I totally agree with you on that... which is partly the reason I have like $150+ in credit just sitting at the place.. the only time I deal with Gamestop is to take advantage of their trade-ins. IF not I usually do my trade-ins at Amazon or TRU.

depward

Lonestar said:

Yeah, I'm really thinking about going for the poison gas grenade after I go full medic. Hate reviving you guys at 50% health :lol

Vinci

Danish
Violater said:

That's fine. You may dislike those games' content, but the point is... they have content inherent in and of themselves. MMOs with PvE have content as well. Think of WoW for a moment: It has an enormous amount of content. Whether you like it or not isn't as significant as it offering a plethora of things to take part in and do. With a PVP focused MMO (of any kind, in any genre), the content is the community. Period. The game is completely dependent upon what the community brings to it. If there is a perceived imbalance, for example, the side it favors will usually grow in population. How this affects the rest of the game's community is dependent upon the complexity of the game: If a game is relatively complex in its mechanics, thus mitigating the imbalance in various respects of one's experience, this will change nothing. If the game's mechanics are fairly simple, this imbalance will destroy the game entirely - as the population rise won't affect the 'skill' of that side enough to balance things out.

[For example: People complain about an imbalance favoring SVER. SVER says there is no imbalance; that it is merely the high level skills of its players causing it to be the dominant side in many engagements. If the population begins to move to SVER, yet this dominance continues - then the dominance was due to imbalance, as not all these new soldiers will be as skilled as the prior ones claimed to be. Mind you, this is just an example.]

theMrCravens said:
No, I meant before MAG.
256 players at once is pretty massive.

Although most people wouldn't define this as an "MMO" because there's no monthly fee.

Nothing in the "MMOG" acronym necessitates a monthly fee.

Lonestar

Vinci said:
[For example: People complain about an imbalance favoring SVER. SVER says there is no imbalance; that it is merely the high level skills of its players causing it to be the dominant side in many engagements. If the population begins to move to SVER, yet this dominance continues - then the dominance was due to imbalance, as not all these new soldiers will be as skilled as the prior ones claimed to be. Mind you, this is just an example.]

Of course they say that, because they're SCUM.

Vinci

Danish
Lonestar said:
Of course they say that, because they're SCUM.

What I'm saying is, the way this game turns out over the next month or so will likely clear that debate up. That's why I'm waiting to buy it. I want to see where it goes.

Fixed1979

Vinci said:

Fat Princess is pretty niche and they fucked up their launch, that's the reason no one is playing it right now. No doubt that MAG will have ups and downs but as long as Zipper keeps everything running smoothly and provides updates I don't doubt that this game will have lots of life.

Vinci

Danish
Fixed1979 said:
Fat Princess is pretty niche and they fucked up their launch, that's the reason no one is playing it right now. No doubt that MAG will have ups and downs but as long as Zipper keeps everything running smoothly and provides updates I don't doubt that this game will have lots of life.

I'm aware of that. What I'm saying is, it doesn't matter what the error is... all that matters is what it does to a community that acts as fuel to the core experience of the game. I'm not claiming Zipper has made an error really, but I'm hesitant to pay full price for a game when I'm unsure about it. I've been playing MMOs too long to dive head-long into one from the get-go.

dazed808

FFObsessed said:
Mine shipped today also! :D

Looks like the UK SVER onslaught starts tomorrow then :D

I can see an emergency dentist appointment appearing in tomorrow's work schedule that may well take up the afternoon .....

Arnie

dazed808 said:
Looks like the UK SVER onslaught starts tomorrow then :D

I can see an emergency dentist appointment appearing in tomorrow's work schedule that may well take up the afternoon .....
:D Convenient. Unfortunately for me I have a busy college day.

thaOwner

TrAcEr_x90 said:
I was in a similar situation. I played the beta and really thought it was fun but had no intentions of getting it at launch, maybe somewhere down the road for cheap but defintely not day one. I go into my work study office yesterday and two of my buddies will not shut up about the game and this kick ass commercial they saw on tv for it. I ordered it yesterday and it should be here tomorrow. Cannot wait to see how the full game is

Question though, is there going to be another demo ?

Top Bottom