• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Violater

Vinci said:
I'm aware of that. What I'm saying is, it doesn't matter what the error is... all that matters is what it does to a community that acts as fuel to the core experience of the game. I'm not claiming Zipper has made an error really, but I'm hesitant to pay full price for a game when I'm unsure about it. I've been playing MMOs too long to dive head-long into one from the get-go.

Buy the game and lets keep the community going.

Finally got home from a rather hectic day in Sweden with traffic going haywire because of more than a feet of snowfall (and we're still getting it), and bless the mailman he still got MAG to my door. Will be doing my part for S.V.E.R in about an hour! :D

Vinci

Danish
Violater said:
Buy the game and lets keep the community going.

If there is an imbalance and it's hard to correct, my purchase and involvement won't matter. I'm hoping there isn't. I enjoy MAG, but I'm very strict on purchasing games - particularly games that depend solely on community involvement for their content. I wish you guys the best of luck though, and hope you all have a good time. Over the next month or so, I'll see how things are working out and join up then, if not sooner (given I can get an excellent deal on the game).

Kowak

Banned
Official word on raven recruits, of course its fine bring your mates, family regular gaming buddies to the clan but just remember that they represent GAF so no rascist or offensive language or they will be gone straight away. remember to post their names in the clan thread.

i was going to make everyone in Raven GAF officers so that everybody could recruit and a way to know who is GAF users or would you prefer only a few were officers???????

Me and Bluie had a couple of games and dominated on our squad. Cant wait till i get in a 8 man GAF squad, SVER and Valor wouldnt know what hit them.

P.S it pisses me off that everytime a SVEr map starts up people start saying its the hardest map. i keep having to point out"but it has the worst players defending it"

Hawk269

Vinci said:
What I'm saying is, the way this game turns out over the next month or so will likely clear that debate up. That's why I'm waiting to buy it. I want to see where it goes.

QFT!

That is why I am waiting. Just to see how things shake out with the game. If the community grows or starts to disapate is what I want to know and a month or so will show exactly that. Like some other games, you will get a big rush of users the first week or so, then we will see if the game has any legs.

I hope it does well though..I liked the beta and am very interested in the game, but money and time are scarce and before i committ to an ONLINE ONLY game, I want to see if people are sticking with it.

But some of you folks are making me want to run out and get it today...it sounds very cool, but Mass Effect 2 is in my 360 so that should tempt me away for a little bit..but they are different games and I like to take my time with games like ME...so...hehehe

KZObsessed

dazed808 said:
Looks like the UK SVER onslaught starts tomorrow then :D

I can see an emergency dentist appointment appearing in tomorrow's work schedule that may well take up the afternoon .....

I have an exam on Friday morning so not for me :(

Click

Banned
Vinci said:
MMOs are really hard to make work. Whether you make people pay to play them or not. PvP only (or centered) MMOs, in particular, tend to die quickly. There are exceptions, like EVE, but that's due to a lot of factors. Also, with leveling, you automatically turn people into min/maxers - something that most console games don't have to deal with.

Dude, Lonestar made a good comparison already when he brought up Battlefield 2. In fact, I've always tried to describe MAG as a blend of SOCOM's shooting mechanics (but in 1st person) and "feel," with Battlefield 2's awesome gameplay... just on a much more massive scale, as well as the game being on a console instead of PC.

Technically, yes, MAG is a MMO. It is a Massively Multiplayer Online game. But it's not a MMORPG. You do level up and purchase skills, but there's no persistent world, even though Zipper tried making the Shadow War feel a little like there is one. I don't get why you're trying to compare MAG to MMORPGs all the time.

It's pretty simple really. If you're too cheap, poor, and/or hesitant to buy MAG at $60 or less, then don't. Wait, rent, or don't buy it. Nobody really cares. But please stop trying to spread FUD around here. This game is awesome and is exactly what many online shooters fans have been waiting for, for a long time. Like J-Rzez has said time and again, it also sets a new "bar" for all FPSs, just not in the graphics department. MAG is not perfect and a lot more content, tweaks, and balancing can (and hopefully will be) done in the future. As of now, we're just having lots of fun with the game.

jorma

is now taking requests
I intend to get my moneys worth out of this game in the first month alone! I reckon everything beyond that is just bonus =)

Also, i would be afraid to wait a month to join, when my level 1 character would be a small fish in a big pond of lvl 60 sharks.

kowak yes that was fun. And there is no way we would have lost that last game with a full squad.

Vinci

Danish
Click said:
Technically, yes, MAG is a MMO. It is a Massively Multiplayer Online game. But it's not a MMORPG. You do level up and purchase skills, but there's no persistent world, even though Zipper tried making the Shadow War feel a little like there is one. I don't get why you're trying to compare MAG to MMORPGs all the time.

A persistent world isn't necessary in a MMO, and my comparison to MMORPGs was a comment directed towards its lack of playable options outside of the online experience. It was a discussion of content being in the game, or the game acting as a conduit for the content. There is a difference.

It's pretty simple really. If you're too cheap, poor, and/or hesitant to buy MAG at $60 or less, then don't. Wait, rent, or don't buy it. Nobody really cares. But please stop trying to spread FUD around here.

You think I'm trying to hurt the game? I'm discussing the game because I like it. If I didn't, I wouldn't post in here at all. For example, I don't post in Gran Turismo threads because I don't give a damn about the series.

As of now, we're just having lots of fun with the game.

And that's great. I never said you shouldn't. I was explaining my hesitance in getting the game and responding to Violater's comments about those who don't want to pick it up due to it being online only. [He used 'BS' to describe this, FWIW, when it isn't 'BS' at all.] I'm sorry if I wanted to discuss the game, not simply cheerlead it.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Main thing I want to see, is a parachute drop on a 256 map, and have 30+ parachutists falling at the same time.

uraldix

Jesse Jane said:
so is the consensus with everyone who has the game to upgrade your health/resucitation skills first?

I didn't do it and I wish that I had. I only get around 150-200 experience points per round and I would easily get double that with the 10-20 points per rez. It will be my next upgrade.

Note that my low XP is mainly due to my low skills.:D

Lonestar

I guess the flipside to your problem, Vinci, is that if there are too many people in the wait-and-see demographic, it becomes a self inducing prophecy. A community can't be created, if the community sits back and waits for itself to be created.

theBishop

Banned
I don't consider this an MMO. Yes it's massive, multiplayer and online. But even without the "RPG" label, I think MMO requires that you're in some kind of persistent world. If all the maps were connected via some in-game headquarters with people wandering around and stuff, then we're in MMO country.

Vinci

Danish
Lonestar said:
I guess the flipside to your problem, Vinci, is that if there are too many people in the wait-and-see demographic, it becomes a self inducing prophecy. A community can't be created, if the community sits back and waits for itself to be created.

I highly doubt I represent some massive group, so don't worry.

Click

Banned
Vinci said:
A persistent world isn't necessary in a MMO, and my comparison to MMORPGs was a comment directed towards its lack of playable options outside of the online experience. It was a discussion of content being in the game, or the game acting as a conduit for the content. There is a difference.

I know persistent worlds aren't necessary, but the games you've listed in comparison to MAG all have persistent worlds. One of my favorite MMORPGs is Guild Wars and that game didn't have a persistent world.

Your comparisons to MMORPGs again, has been countered by Lonestar's example of Battlefield 2. Just because a game is online-only doesn't mean it has be discounted below the regular market price for games, especially if it's as big and in-depth as MAG is.

Vinci said:
You think I'm trying to hurt the game? I'm discussing the game because I like it. If I didn't, I wouldn't post in here at all. For example, I don't post in Gran Turismo threads because I don't give a damn about the series.

I don't know what you're trying to do exactly. But you sure have been trying to spread FUD for whatever reason. If you like MAG, cool. Discuss the game, fine. But please don't constantly repeat the fact that you're hesitant, doubtful, and worried about the game's future, when it JUST came out.

Vinci said:
And that's great. I never said you shouldn't. I was explaining my hesitance in getting the game and responding to Violater's comments about those who don't want to pick it up due to it being online only. [He used 'BS' to describe this, FWIW, when it isn't 'BS' at all.] I'm sorry if I wanted to discuss the game, not simply cheerlead it.

There's no requirement for people that post in this thread to have to "cheerlead" MAG. In fact, I've complained about plenty of things already. Rubberbanding, bland party system, overpowered LMGs, (now) lack of character appearance customization, etc. I just hate it when people are CONSTANTLY saying the SAME negative things here over and over. Like I said to Inanna and the other dude bashing me before, valid criticisms are fine and welcomed. Constant blathering about the same shit gets annoying.

Vinci

Danish
Click said:
I don't know what you're trying to do exactly. But you sure have been trying to spread FUD for whatever reason. If you like MAG, cool. Discuss the game, fine. But please don't constantly repeat the fact that you're hesitant, doubtful, and worried about the game's future, when it JUST came out.

Fair enough. I will keep such things to myself.

Biff

Beyond resuscitating friendlies, what's the next best way to earn points while still, you know, shooting people?

Should I stay within the Frago zone and just deathmatch the shit out of the game? Just respawn and sprint into the mayhem and do what I can before dying? Or should I stay outside and snipe the endless train of baddies?

And with respect to sniping, how do Frago bonuses work? Do I have to be standing within the Frago zone, or can I be outside the zone sniping in - provided my target is within the Frago zone, I'll get the bonus?

Liberty4all

Banned
All I know is that this is the first game in a long time where I wanted to play so badly I went home on my lunch hour (I'm a 10 minute drive from the office) and played a quick match.

I'm completely hooked. I fully expect the game to maintain a good community for a long time, hopefully as long as Warhawk lasted. There is nothing like MAG out there in console land, and so far it's everything I hoped a Massive shooter could be. I put 3 years into Planetside, I've been waiting for something like this for a long time.

Thank god they handled command ranks appropriately as well.

The only potential disaster I could see is with charging for new maps ... the games are so large player count wise that splintering the community will have a much more profound effect than normal 16 player servers.

For now though I KNOW I'm going to get my 60 bucks worth. I've already put more time into this "online only" beta than I have some full retail priced single player games.

jorma

is now taking requests
ChefRamsay said:
And with respect to sniping, how do Frago bonuses work? Do I have to be standing within the Frago zone, or can I be outside the zone sniping in - provided my target is within the Frago zone, I'll get the bonus?

Both ways will give you frago bonuses.

From my limited playtime last night, i found that the best thing to do for exp is to hope for a decent SL, get him to set fragos and follow your objectives to get bonus exp. There weren't alot of SLs last night, but as stated earlier in this forum, it will get better as people level up.

theBishop

Banned
Bamelin said:
ging for new maps ... the games are so large player count wise that splintering the community will have a much more profound effect than normal 16 player servers.

They're going to charge for something that's for sure. Maps are clearly the most expensive thing to add.

Vinci said:
Pay no heed to the cheerleaders, your hesitation is completely warranted imho. If you're interested though, I'd recommend renting it and playing it until you can play a few domination matches (level 8 or above, or less if you're in a group of higher level players). That's about a few hours of playtime.

By then you'll know whether you like the controls, feel, and systems in the game. This game isn't for everybody, but if you're looking for a platoon/squad based objective multiplayer game with lots of stuff going on, and lots of roles to play, then this might be right up your alley.

Vinci

Danish
NullPointer said:
Pay no heed to the cheerleaders, your hesitation is completely warranted imho. If you're interested though, I'd recommend renting it and playing it until you can play a few domination matches (level 8 or above, or less if you're in a group of higher level players). That's about a few hours of playtime.

By then you'll know whether you like the controls, feel, and systems in the game. This game isn't for everybody, but if you're looking for a platoon/squad based objective multiplayer game with lots of stuff going on, and lots of roles to play, then this might be right up your alley.

Oh, I know how to play the game. I was in the Beta and Tourney. And I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
depward said:
Had a lot of fun with Raven GAF last night. Good stuff! Yeah we lost a good deal of them but, dang, it seemed like for all four / five hours of playtime I put in yesterday, Raven was always attacking. For attacking in Sabatoge, I feel like we have a fighting chance against Valor. I've only beat SVER ONCE; actually, I've only unlocked objective C twice (one time being last night with that strong late-game push we had... almost had it!).

Once Raven GAF gets some unlocks and we get some better weaponry + specialized classes rolling, I think we'll be juuuust fine :D
Don't mention that someone might get cranky! :lol

God, I can't wait to get the game and play with you guys!

Vinci said:
I love MAG but the game isn't AMAZING like everyone else is making it out to be, it has tons of flaws. It's kinda like KZ2 really. Flawed but good.

Lonestar

Vinci, I know that you aren't representing alot of people and all, but you're kind of recruiting others to the same view point.

But, by all means, everyone should be in control of their own tastes, wallets, and purchases.

Sadly, not much of GAF will get/like the game. For various reasons, good and bad.

theBishop

Banned
Inanna said:
I love MAG but the game isn't AMAZING like everyone else is making it out to be, it has tons of flaws. It's kinda like KZ2 really. Flawed but good.

It's much more flawed than Killzone2 in my opinion. But the "amazing" comes from it being totally unique on consoles, and mostly unique this generation. It's got more in common with Enemy Territory and Tribes than anything else. Those are pretty far out of people's memory at this point.

Wes

venison crêpe
Kowak said:
i was going to make everyone in Raven GAF officers so that everybody could recruit and a way to know who is GAF users or would you prefer only a few were officers???????

I think having just a select few officers is the way to go. It'll just get really messy, really quickly otherwise.

Kowak

Banned
Inanna said:
Don't mention that someone might get cranky! :lol

God, I can't wait to get the game and play with you guys!

need the europeans so that i can play with people when i get home, only ian and jorma were online when i got home.

Cornbread78

Good or Bad, I want to hear everyone's comments as well. I have limited funds to buy games, so I have to plan out which games to get and when. If all my friends play it then I will be more likely to play as well, especially as an online only game. People complain about no SP, but would it be worth addign an 8 hour crappy story to it, or build it into the online experience, so please, cheerlead and biatch, I want to hear it all, so I can better make a decision

Wes

venison crêpe
Kowak said:
need the europeans so that i can play with people when i get home, only ian and jorma were online when i got home.

Mine might be delivered tommorow. Wont have a mic until next week I think though :(

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Wes said:
I think having just a select few officers is the way to go. It'll just get really messy, really quickly otherwise.

Can you un-officer people? For now its probably best to keep officer pool large to recruit GAFers since not everyone is always on, but eventually need to cut it down to the true officer group. But do officers have any type of power besides recruiting and kicking people anyway?

oktarb

Day 1 – The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

This is from day one so I expect my opinions to change as I continue to play and absorb the nooks and crannies.

The Good
+ When the command system works it’s a breath of fresh air. Sub-objectives and having a goal feels great. Getting rewarded for it even better.
+ Leveling up and perks are solid and keep you motivated. I WANT those chemical grenades!
+ Repairing and healing are rewarded well and inspire team support. Everyone is not simply out to get the most kills.
+ I expect this game to age well as they improve upon things and the player base begins to fill the knowledge base themselves.
+ Large population maps were a blast. Want more. Hectic as hell but got my heart racing. Having 14 guys cover a breached door while a buddy and I hide to the sides and repair it was exhilarating.

The Bad
- No squad leader means piss poor objective goals and teamwork. Make a default squad leader even if no one is level 15 yet.
- Some maps seem very lopsided in balance. Currently you can overcome but I think as people become better this imbalance will become more pronounced.
- Some lag issues and model freezing but nothing game breaking.
- Match making isn’t horrible but I was disappointed to see that after every game it completely resets. Several times I wanted to keep going with my squad or platoon. Implement a “Stick with squad” feature.
- Helicopters that don’t fly…

The Ugly
! All documentation. Manual is toilet paper and in game explanations are non-existent. How about a training section with some content! News flash we know you to crouch, jump and shoot. We have no idea what Acquisition is until we jump in and scratch our heads for 2-3 games.
! Had several game freezes when joining a game. Would be ranked as just Bad but this caused the party system to crumble. I had to restart the game, the rest stay in a group. I can’t invite them into a new group because they are already in a group. They invite me, ok np. Wait now Nullpointer is the leader and can’t pass it back to me. Disband group and reinvite. Groan.

Chaos-Mandatory - Valor

Wes

venison crêpe
Corran Horn said:
Can you un-officer people? For now its probably best to keep officer pool large to recruit GAFers since not everyone is always on, but eventually need to cut it down to the true officer group. But do officers have any type of power besides recruiting and kicking people anyway?

If you can un-officer people then I'd say promote everyone now of course. I just think having everyone officered could complicate things at a later date (weeks/months from now).

BeeDog

Did the patch promise of increasing the FPS hold? How's the game after the patch, any other noticeable graphical improvements?

Arnie

Quick question, what about people who buy the game in 6 months when everyone has developed past the stage of playing suppression? Or is suppression a solid enough game mode that people will continue to play it once the other, larger modes are unlocked?

ZZMitch

oktarb said:
- Match making isn’t horrible but I was disappointed to see that after every game it completely resets. Several times I wanted to keep going with my squad or platoon. Implement a “Stick with squad” feature.

Ya, this is the biggest issue with me so far.

oktarb said:
Chaos-Mandatory - Valor

Good man.

Vinci

Danish
Cornbread78 said:
Good or Bad, I want to hear everyone's comments as well. I have limited funds to buy games, so I have to plan out which games to get and when. If all my friends play it then I will be more likely to play as well, especially as an online only game. People complain about no SP, but would it be worth addign an 8 hour crappy story to it, or build it into the online experience, so please, cheerlead and biatch, I want to hear it all, so I can better make a decision

I've listed my concerns above on this issue. I'm not going to reiterate them. Would a SP campaign be worth adding? No clue. Depends on how they did it. If they did it like Demon's Souls - yeah, that would be worth adding. But I'm not expecting something to that level. :lol

oktarb said:
Day 1 – The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

This is from day one so I expect my opinions to change as I continue to play and absorb the nooks and crannies.

The Good
+ When the command system works it’s a breath of fresh air. Sub-objectives and having a goal feels great. Getting rewarded for it even better.
+ Leveling up and perks are solid and keep you motivated. I WANT those chemical grenades!
+ Repairing and healing are rewarded well and inspire team support. Everyone is not simply out to get the most kills.
+ I expect this game to age well as they improve upon things and the player base begins to fill the knowledge base themselves.
+ Large population maps were a blast. Want more. Hectic as hell but got my heart racing. Having 14 guys cover a breached door while a buddy and I hide to the sides and repair it was exhilarating.

The Bad
- No squad leader means piss poor objective goals and teamwork. Make a default squad leader even if no one is level 15 yet.
- Some maps seem very lopsided in balance. Currently you can overcome but I think as people become better this imbalance will become more pronounced.
- Some lag issues and model freezing but nothing game breaking.
- Helicopters that don’t fly…

The Ugly
! All documentation. Manual is toilet paper and in game explanations are non-existent. How about a training section with some content! News flash we know you to crouch, jump and shoot. We have no idea what Acquisition is until we jump in and scratch our heads for 2-3 games.
! Had several game freezes when joining a game. Would be ranked as just Bad but this caused the party system to crumble. I had to restart the game, the rest stay in a group. I can’t invite them into a new group because they are already in a group. They invite me, ok np. Wait now Nullpointer is the leader and can’t pass it back to me. Disband group and reinvite. Groan.

Chaos-Mandatory - Valor
THIS. Exactly. I didn't experience any freezes, but I did see the freaked out player models stuck in the game a few times. Also, I love the "stick with squad" idea, and I think if the current group leader could choose a "promote player to group leader" option that would take care of group management issues.

Violater

BeeDog said:
Did the patch promise of increasing the FPS hold? How's the game after the patch, any other noticeable graphical improvements?

The lighting is different, more bloom I would say.
The FPS drops have now been made to look like special effects :lol
haven't played any domination yet

Top Bottom