• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Liberty4all

Banned
Cornbread78 said:
Good or Bad, I want to hear everyone's comments as well. I have limited funds to buy games, so I have to plan out which games to get and when. If all my friends play it then I will be more likely to play as well, especially as an online only game. People complain about no SP, but would it be worth addign an 8 hour crappy story to it, or build it into the online experience, so please, cheerlead and biatch, I want to hear it all, so I can better make a decision

Did you like Shadowbane?

You'll probably like this

Did you like Frontlines Fuel of War?

Do you enjoy the Battlefield series?

Did you enjoy Planetside?

You'll LOVE this

Do you enjoy "tactical" strategy games with arcadish pseudo sim type gameplay?

You'll LOVE THIS

Basically anyone that digs team based FPS's should be grabbing this game. In my opinion this is the first console based FPS to bring the massive sense of scale that some PC titles have been doing for years. Warhawk came close, but MAG takes the cake.

Violater

Bamelin said:

homer_drool.jpg
Can't wait to get home and play some more.

Arnie

Who are my SVER officers? I want to know who's boots I'm gonna have to polish.

Oh and is there customisation for things like clan matches? If not then I have to assume Zipper is working on that for DLC. The best thing would be for some type of 32 v 32 clan matches so we could have some tense GAF rivalries. Even better would be if there was 32 V 32 V 32, and all three factions could fight it out.

Liberty4all

Banned
Lonestar said:
:D

It's that, but smooth moving, better looking, with no sci-fi elements and super vehicles.

Yeah it's Planetside in terms of squad and platoon dynamics. Minus the super vehicles, sci fi and global/continental chat spam. WIth that said I miss my dear Vanu on Emerald. I was an icon back in the day ... ;)

Wes

venison crêpe
Kowak said:
so should i make everyone officers for a week, then limit it???

Can you take away the officer status afterwards?

As long as people know only to invite other GAFers or people they've asked to add in the thread, I don't see the problem. I don't know how the other Ravens feel about it but thats my view.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Kowak said:
so should i make everyone officers for a week, then limit it???
I think you should only have a selected few officers, people that you know won't do anything stupid, people you trust. Like people from open beta.

elohel

at what point did zipper imply or say that this game would be single player focused? or even have one?

given that the main point of interest for this game is...the 256 players...i dont understand the reviews that dock it for it

especially when they have a training level, people compare it to warhawk and warhawk didnt have one(initially, it does now)

reviewers, psh lol

jk but srsly why fucking expect it when it was never mentioned?

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Heh I know the guy BattleCry1791, he's really good and always one of the top 5 players. Too bad he's Valor though.

Safe Bet

Banned
elohel said:
reviewers, psh lol

Most reviewers are "single-player gamers" more than "online gamers".

They guy grew up playing the same game over and over and over and over....

Perfect example is the reviews Bioshock received despite the fact having a MP mode is STANDARD in shooters.

Attitudes will change as more online gamers enter the industry.

Cornbread78

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
at what point did zipper imply or say that this game would be single player focused? or even have one?
given that the main point of interest for this game is...the 256 players...i dont understand the reviews that dock it for it
especially when they have a training level, people compare it to warhawk and warhawk didnt have one(initially, it does now)
reviewers, psh lol

That's exactly why I wait for player reviews. Other than that Reviewers in general miss the point on games, that why I wait for actually player reviews.

elohel said:

The training level only covers movement, firing, and repairing. NONE of the game modes or communication systems or leadership/orders are explained. MAG really needs in depth, in-game videos that detail each game mode and how various systems work.

Also, while I think it was always known that the game was multiplayer only, I think some were surprised by the fact that you can't do ANYTHING without connecting to the server. No character creation, loadouts, options, stats, tutorial. Nothing. When the servers are down you don't have any part of the game at all.

J-Rzez

elohel said:

reviewers, psh lol

Because they're terrible at online games, especially shooters. All you have to do is read their articles to tell what kind of scrubs they really are.

Safe Bet

Banned
NullPointer said:
When the servers are down you don't have any part of the game at all.
That sound just like World of Warcraft.

;)

J-Rzez said:
Because they're terrible at online games, especially shooters. All you have to do is read their articles to tell what kind of scrubs they really are.
:lol

noobie

Banned
Can we get some sales estimate by looking at the ranking or something like that.? after all its all online.. so there should be a way to see how much it has sold and are people getting interested in it..

Dont expect to do it any insance numbers.. but 400 - 500k FW will be great for a new IP especially on PS3

Violater

I can't explain the feeling when i flank 5 guys camping an objective and I just open up my LMG and put all 75 bullets to use, sooo good.

Last night I played an Acquisition match, sneaked behind enemy lines and set charge to the AAA. The alarm raised and I was taken down by two of Valor's "finest", I then proceeded to yell out "Watch out there is another one" so they could hear in the proximity chat. They got nervous and I kept yelling it out so the poor confused grunts would hear. They were turning in circles looking for "the other one" till the AAA blew up and took them both out, sooo good.:D

Wes

venison crêpe
Violater said:
I can't explain the feeling when i flank 5 guys camping an objective and I just open up my LMG and put all 75 bullets to use, sooo good.

I can explain it.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooo MEDIC!

Kowak

Banned
Inanna said:
I think you should only have a selected few officers, people that you know won't do anything stupid, people you trust. Like people from open beta.

this is what i was planning to do. i will just stick to that and someone can ask the officers to add their friends if they want.

:lol Hey Guys, just to fill everybody in about ValorGAF

Um, I was supposed to set up the clan but actually had hemmorhaging (a mini stroke...technically) in my brain Sunday night. Lost all the feeling in the left side of my face for two hours :lol . This isn't an excuse either. I made a full recovery actually and just got out of the hospital luckily with no neurological issues.

I will try to be on tonight...I am not kidding.

Kowak

Banned
i just played the worst valor sabotage, i must have been the only medic there despite seeing the little medical cross on everybody. the amount of people i had running past me. it was fucking frustration.

almost as frustrating as the amount of people who bleedout when you get to them, and then get shot in the back for your troubles.

Anerythristic said:

Um, I was supposed to set up the clan but actually had hemmorhaging (a mini stroke...technically) in my brain Sunday night. Lost all the feeling in the left side of my face for two hours :lol . This isn't an excuse either. I made a full recovery actually and just got out of the hospital luckily with no neurological issues.

Holy shit!

Well, for what it's worth, i'm glad you're ok?

Captain N

I Really like deathmatch, but I notice just about everyone bleeds out there. Even if they'll need to wait 16 seconds. I can bring them back if they'd just wait 3 seconds!

I've already been added to what will be surely the most prestigious of the GAF factions, ValorGAF. I'll try to hop on a for a few this evening so I can at least receive the clan invite. Didnt even get a chance to open it yesterday. : /

Sorry about your brain dude. Hope everything is going okay now.

Kowak

Banned
Anerythristic said:

shit man, glad to know you are ok.

makes me have more respect for valor, that they have mini strokes and still want to play on.

hope you take it easy and stay well.

Violater

Anerythristic said:

Valor sucks that bad huh

Wow glad you are ok man

surefire1982 said:
Holy shit!

Well, for what it's worth, i'm glad you're ok?

Thanks, totally my fault. I knew I had high blood pressure issues and still worked my high stress job, drank 3-4 cups of coffee a day and still ate salty foods. Learn from me children :D

Wes

venison crêpe
Anerythristic said:

Wow. Good to hear you're ok.

For Raven clan it may be best just to have regular gaf players for officers. Is there other titles than officer for clan?

It would suck having someone delete everyone out or disband the clan if they had the power to do so.

johnnylineup

Neo Member
I was NOT expecting this kind of response for the game at all, from the press or the community. I typically stay away from online only games since I just dont have enough time to commit to it but I enjoyed the beta and think I'll have to pick this up on the way home now.

Kratos is going to be pissed I'm putting his collection aside for awhile....

Trevelyan

Banned
So yeah, in the domination game I'm currently in, I can't leave the bunker.. been stuck here for about 10 mins now. At least we're winning! :lol

Edit: So apparently I'm dying over and over again... but the deaths aren't actually affecting my death count.

oktarb

Anerythristic said:

This was an obvious chemical attack by Raven. Luckily your Valor brothers are here to support you. We have the finest doctors.

All kidding aside, health first. Glad to hear everything is OK. Sign me up for ValorGaf I'm Chaos-Mandatory.

Kowak

Banned
Trevelyan said:
So yeah, in the domination game I'm currently in, I can't leave the bunker.. been stuck here for about 10 mins now. At least we're winning! :lol

Edit: So apparently I'm dying over and over again... but the deaths aren't actually affecting my death count.

have you tried pressing circle???

Wes

venison crêpe
Cellbomber said:
For Raven clan it may be best just to have regular gaf players for officers. Is there other titles than officer for clan?

It would suck having someone delete everyone out or disband the clan if they had the power to do so.

100% this.

oktarb

Trevelyan said:

If its a bug that sucks. But I wasted several minutes moving the yellow cilinder around wondering what the hell it was. Then I just started hitting random buttons and spawned. New game stupidity an my part...if only there was an instruction manual...

Kyoufu

Captain N said:
I Really like deathmatch, but I notice just about everyone bleeds out there. Even if they'll need to wait 16 seconds. I can bring them back if they'd just wait 3 seconds!

Don't worry, its just noob-player syndrome. I bet not many people are actually used to being revived by other players on console FPS games.

It actually used to be like that on the Enemy Territory games I've played on PC but people get the hang of things eventually and understand they should only tap out a few seconds before the respawn timer.

Which brings me to my question: Where is the respawn timer? I was watching MAG on justintv and noticed the guy bleeding out when the skull was almost full yet there was still a good 10 seconds left on the timer. I'm not sure I understand it.

Captain N

Kyoufu said:
Don't worry, its just noob-player syndrome. I bet not many people are actually used to being revived by other players on console FPS games.

It actually used to be like that on the Enemy Territory games I've played on PC but people get the hang of things eventually and understand they should only tap out a few seconds before the respawn timer.

Which brings me to my question: Where is the respawn timer? I was watching MAG on justintv and noticed the guy bleeding out when the skull was almost full yet there was still a good 10 seconds left on the timer. I'm not sure I understand it.

here's how it works...

Your squad mates names are always On the screen.

When someones name is red out completely they are laying down and bleeding out.

The red bar goes down as they are waiting to respawn.

If you see the bar is almost down and no one is around..bleed out. You'll respawn with them.

Top Bottom