• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Violater

Not to rehash anything, but from the GiantBomb videos, does he at any point in time communicate with his squad, aside from asking to be revived?

And yea Domination is laggy as shit.

Click

Banned
Bamelin said:
Click you around? I'm still wondering about the "setting two frago's thing" you talked about earlier. Does setting a waypoint also act as a fraggo? Or when you switch fraggo targets the original one still gives off bonus xp for a limited time?

No, waypoints are not FRAGOs.

What I was talking about only seems to work in Sabotage games... I THINK. Not sure about it, so if people want to try it out in Acq. and Dom., feel free to do so and report back.

Basically, in Sabotage, you're given a default objective / FRAGO. However, the squad leader can spawn the entire squad on the other side / objective. They can also FRAGO the non-default objective, allowing your squad to receive FRAGO points for BOTH objectives. You just gotta keep an eye on the FRAGO though because it will reset from time to time, so the squad leader has to re-FRAGO sometimes.

Sorry if I didn't mention that, nor answer your question sooner.

Liberty4all

Banned
Click said:
No, waypoints are not FRAGOs.

What I was talking about only seems to work in Sabotage games... I THINK. Not sure about it, so if people want to try it out in Acq. and Dom., feel free to do so and report back.

Basically, in Sabotage, you're given a default objective / FRAGO. However, the squad leader can spawn the entire squad on the other side / objective. They can also FRAGO the non-default objective, allowing your squad to receive FRAGO points for BOTH objectives. You just gotta keep an eye on the FRAGO though because it will reset from time to time, so the squad leader has to re-FRAGO sometimes.

Sorry if I didn't mention that, nor answer your question sooner.

No problem. Somebody else actually said that all primary objectives automatically have frago's on them. I dont' seem to remember though getting bonus xp at non fraggo'd capture points in Domination ...

Violater

jmonteiro said:
I love this game but I suck soooo much :(

Anyone has any tips to noob like me?

Don't run into firefights, pick your battles know when to retreat to cover.

Get a feel for the weapons, often times I will test it out on walls then inspect the bullet spread.

Pay attention to whats going on around you. If you are running along and see a downed team mate try and see where he got shot from before you go to save him or proceed past that point.

Stick with your squad, strength lies in numbers here.

Anton668 said:
well, I wouldnt go that far. Hell, he still has no idea how half the game works!

Yet there are people on their site waiting for the reviews before they buy the game. SMMFH

jmonteiro said:
I love this game but I suck soooo much :(

Anyone has any tips to noob like me?

-get a medkit. this will help your team and your levelling alot.
-also, when rezzing a downed teammate, make sure the area is clear first...don't rez only to have both of you shot and bleeding out (i've been guilty of this a couple of times last night)

surefire1982 said:
-get a medkit. this will help your team and your levelling alot.
-also, when rezzing a downed teammate, make sure the area is clear first...don't rez only to have both of you shot and bleeding out (i've been guilty of this a couple of times last night)

playing with GAF and asking questions is also a +

Hixx

Soooo used to playing p2p games, still aiming infront of people when sniping :lol

Games a lot of fun but the first game mode you get put into (capture the point a/b/c one) ends waaaay too fast.

Click

Banned
A lot of people have been asking about the more powerful, unlockable LMGs, lock-on RPGs, and Improved Healing skills. Here's a breakdown from my experience....

The 5 point LMG for SVER has 100 round clips, with 300 bullets total. It's also very powerful and destroys vehicles / turrets quicker than any other non-RPG weapon. However, it fires slower and has less accuracy long-range than the regular LMG does (something that the regular LMG needs to be nerfed down to). It also costs a lot more than the regular LMG (again, something the it should be nerfed down to), so you can't carry as many secondary items as you're used to.

From what I've experienced, Valor and Raven's unlockable LMGs are much more accurate and fires faster than the SVER one does. They're probably nearly as powerful as the SVER one too. However, I don't like their Reflex (red-dot) Sights. The shitty-looking, but simple SVER sight is much better because it doesn't obstruct the view as much as the other 2 factions' sights do.

Personally, I didn't spend the 5 points on the "beastly" LMG. I really like using them, but IMO, the regular LMGs are overpowered as it is, so I stick with that. With the cost being higher, less accuracy, and slower fire rate, I decided the skill points are better spent on other things. I do however, like picking them up from dead enemies and owning them with their own weapon. There is no cost restriction if you pick up weapons from your enemies' body, so take full advantage of this fact.

The lock-on RPGs are awesome for destroying vehicles and turrets... something I believe everyone should get for Acquisition and Domination games. You have to zoom in on your target and hold it there until the beeping "locks" to the target you're aiming at. It usually takes roughly 2-3 seconds to get a lock, so make sure you're not facing the turret is facing, lol. Thankfully, you can lock-on and fire from quite a far distance from the target. I haven't kept track of the max range on these things, but it's pretty far.

I unlocked it yesterday and didn't know it's a whole new weapon. Tried using my regular RPG loadout and realized real fast that it didn't lock-on, lol. It costs 1,000c, comes with 3 rockets, and looks exactly like the regular RPGs do (wish they made a different skin / model). IMO, every squad NEEDS at least 2 people with the lock-on RPGs in Domination and Acquisition attack games. They're good in defense too for taking out APCs, Humvees, and spawn helicopters.

As for Improved Healing, I personally love it. It heals yourself and teammates super fast... crucial during intense firefights when every second counts. Sure, you're not supposed to heal teammates that are getting hit already because most people are dumb and just stand there shooting, taking hits, when they should be running for cover. Remember, Improved Healing helps YOU out more often than it helps teammates.

I personally go: Medical Kit > Improved Healing > Improved Resuscitation. Sure, it costs 6 more points than the basic 50% revive and no fast healing. But to me, it's so worth it. IMO, you're not a real medic unless you go this route.

any AR users out there? I just unlocked the tier 2 raven AR...and was wondering what advantages the AR has over the LMGs (since these seem to be really good right now)...

Click

Banned
icechai said:
nice games last night SVER GAF :) Although its funny in the games where we're outnumbered cuz ppl quit and Click starts getting frustrated and starts yelling for everyone to please follow him this time.

I was tired and frustrated at that point. We also went from 8 GAF'fers in our party down to 5 cuz it was pretty late. Sorry for yelling. It was bound to happen sometime and it won't end with just 1 night. :D

But hey, we did take B when I yelled at everyone and everyone actually followed... for a while. Too bad A was never captured when we had B and vice versa.

Still got 45+ kills though.

Click

Banned
surefire1982 said:
any AR users out there? I just unlocked the tier 2 raven AR...and was wondering what advantages the AR has over the LMGs (since these seem to be really good right now)...

Silencer, faster fire rate, ACOG (4x) Scope, grenade launcher.

But with 2nd tier ARs costing more, having less stopping power, a lot less clip and overall ammo capacity, LMGs own them in just about every way.

Again, LMGs are very overpowered.

Violater

Click said:
I was tired and frustrated at that point. We also went from 8 GAF'fers in our party down to 5 cuz it was pretty late. But hey, we did take B when I yelled at everyone and everyone actually followed... for a while. Too bad A was never captured when we had B and vice versa.

You were yelling ?
How on earth did I manage to miss that:lol

Gaf I like playing with u guys, but it gets kinda dull without some lively talking.
I'm def gonna be 1/2 drunk playing tonight, so stay tuned for that.

Click

Banned
Violater said:
You were yelling ?

Gaf I like playing with u guys, but it gets kinda dull without some lively talking.

You haven't played other shooters with me man.

People from R:FoM, R2, SOCOM Confrontation, Warhawk, KZ2, etc. all know about my yelling. :lol

Liberty4all

Banned
Click said:
A lot of people have been asking about the more powerful, unlockable LMGs, lock-on RPGs, and Improved Healing skills. Here's a breakdown from my experience....

The 5 point LMG for SVER has 100 round clips, with 300 bullets total. It's also very powerful and destroys vehicles / turrets quicker than any other non-RPG weapon. However, it fires slower and has less accuracy long-range than the regular LMG does (something that the regular LMG needs to be nerfed down to). It also costs a lot more than the regular LMG (again, something the it should be nerfed down to), so you can't carry as many secondary items as you're used to.

From what I've experienced, Valor and Raven's unlockable LMGs are much more accurate and fires faster than the SVER one does. They're probably nearly as powerful as the SVER one too. However, I don't like their Reflex (red-dot) Sights. The shitty-looking, but simple SVER sight is much better because it doesn't obstruct the view as much as the other 2 factions' sights do.

Personally, I didn't spend the 5 points on the "beastly" LMG. I really like using them, but IMO, the regular LMGs are overpowered as it is, so I stick with that. With the cost being higher, less accuracy, and slower fire rate, I decided the skill points are better spent on other things. I do however, like picking them up from dead enemies and owning them with their own weapon. There is no cost restriction if you pick up weapons from your enemies' body, so take full advantage of this fact.

The lock-on RPGs are awesome for destroying vehicles and turrets... something I believe everyone should get for Acquisition and Domination games. You have to zoom in on your target and hold it there until the beeping "locks" to the target you're aiming at. It usually takes roughly 2-3 seconds to get a lock, so make sure you're not facing the turret is facing, lol. Thankfully, you can lock-on and fire from quite a far distance from the target. I haven't kept track of the max range on these things, but it's pretty far.

I unlocked it yesterday and didn't know it's a whole new weapon. Tried using my regular RPG loadout and realized real fast that it didn't lock-on, lol. It costs 1,000c, comes with 3 rockets, and looks exactly like the regular RPGs do (wish they made a different skin / model). IMO, every squad NEEDS at least 2 people with the lock-on RPGs in Domination and Acquisition attack games. They're good in defense too for taking out APCs, Humvees, and spawn helicopters.

As for Improved Healing, I personally love it. It heals yourself and teammates super fast... crucial during intense firefights when every second counts. Sure, you're not supposed to heal teammates that are getting hit already because most people are dumb and just stand there shooting, taking hits, when they should be running for cover. Remember, Improved Healing helps YOU out more often than it helps teammates.

I personally go: Medical Kit > Improved Healing > Improved Resuscitation. Sure, it costs 6 more points than the basic 50% revive and no fast healing. But to me, it's so worth it. IMO, you're not a real medic unless you go this route.

omg I just realized that I currently have 2 points tied up in the 2nd tier 50 percent rez AND another 5 pts in the full 3rd tier 100 percent one. I need to respec asap switch the 2nd tier to improved healing

Some other thoughts -- I just bought Raven's tier 3 LMG (KP 45) last night. It's definately a beast, you feel like you are walking around with a portable bunker turret. Rate of fire is abit slower than regular LMG but it mows people down. I also noticed a major difference when using it on armoured carriers ... as in when laying down fire you could see the driver panicking and then attempting to get away, people bailing from the car, etc ... it must have been doing alot of damage fairly quickly. Like Click said I dislike Raven't site, and tend not to use it.

I like the gun but as Click said the biggest problem is how heavy it is. Using it alot limits your builds ... the regular LMG is almost as powerful (perhaps one could argue just as powerful as the regular LMG has better range for sniping). I'm thinking of respecing tonight and putting the points somewhere else more useful (like the upgraded RPG for instance)

TheFallen

Violater said:
You were yelling ?

I eagerly anticipate this. I may join you and play buzzed. Taking down some APCs with my trails of anti-tank mines while buzzed sounds fun.

Click said:
Silencer, faster fire rate, ACOG (4x) Scope, grenade launcher.

But with 2nd tier ARs costing more, having less stopping power, a lot less clip and overall ammo capacity, LMGs own them in just about every way.

Again, LMGs are very overpowered.

Thanks Click...still gonna try to stick with ARs until i get my first respec...

another question to AR users...are the passive skills (steady aim, improved stability) any good?

what about the t3 AR? (553)

Wes

venison crêpe
surefire1982 said:
Thanks Click...still gonna try to stick with ARs until i get my first respec...

another question to AR users...are the passive skills (steady aim, improved stability) any good?

what about the t3 AR? (553)

You'll eventually end up with plenty of skill points that those passive skills are handy even if the bonus is minimal.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Wes said:
Epic Raven GAF attack on Valor then. Won with about 20 seconds to spare!

Yeah, was pretty epic, I joined with only 4:30 left in the game but still managed to get a healthy 130 points, resusitation FTW! :p

KZObsessed

Goddamn the Valor domination map is annoying. Those overpowered fucking turrets pointed right at your spawn. Still we won, fucking Valor bitches :p

Had a second freeze just then. Screen went black, still could hear audio. Couldn't do anything. Another reset.

Enjoying the game tho, very addictive. Miles more fun than MW2. Completely different style I know. I'm gonna need more maps to keep interested long term tho. 4th faction hints sounds good.

oh and some of the trophies are just terrible.

Wes

venison crêpe
Vennt said:
Yeah, was pretty epic, I joined with only 4:30 left in the game but still managed to get a healthy 130 points, resusitation FTW! :p

I thought that was you! I was like, PRAISE THE LORD! Someone revived me, looked to the name and went... hang on I think I know that person!

Boss Man

So this is probably a stupid question but exactly how much does this game rely on teamwork? I like the idea of playing as part of a big team and using strategies to accomplish goals...but I tend to be one of "those" guys who plays everything like TDM.

I usually hold a 2:1 K/D on FPS games and I take that more seriously than defusing bombs and shit like that because I always feel like I'm contributing much more to my team by taking the other team out since that's what I'm good at. Should I even play this?

StateofMind said:
So this is probably a stupid question but exactly how much does this game rely on teamwork? I like the idea of playing as part of a big team and using strategies to accomplish goals...but I tend to be one of "those" guys who plays everything like TDM.

I usually hold a 2:1 K/D on FPS games and I take that more seriously than defusing bombs and shit like that because I always feel like I'm contributing much more to my team by taking the other team out since that's what I'm good at. Should I even play this?

I would say that K/D ratio does not contribute as much to victory in this game as MW2. Sure you can have snipers and designated marksmen that can hold an objective, but overall, capturing objectives, taking down enemy emplacements, bunkers, etc helps much more towards victory than straight out shooting (particularly because medics are so effective in the game)

Palmer_v1

StateofMind said:

So long as you funnel that TDM aggression into defending or attacking an objective, I think you'd be fine in this game. A contested objective is essentially a small TDM amidst the larger war.

Liberty4all

Banned
StateofMind said:

You'll have plenty of chances to "TDM" while defending an objective.

RefigeKru

Banned
Haven't played this yet, even though I'm dying to (need a new PS3 /sadface) but in all shooters I play, in all objective modes I always have one mindset. I'll go to the objective --> Murder everyone --> Secure objective myself or give room for my team to --> Victory.

Hasn't failed yet, but I assume this kind of tactic would fit in with MAG, hasn't let me down since.

Friend called me last night while I was out shopping and talked me into buying MAG. Haven't opened it since he has been at work today... but what is with the lack of reviews for this game? I've barely been able to find any. Hopefully it's good and I'm just not back playing MW2/MW in a day or two after spending $60 on this.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I need some MAG SPED. The maps are so sprawling it is overwhelming at first. Anybody know of any good tutorial videos?

Also, is there a way to toss a grenade without Jamarcus Russelling it?

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds said:
Friend called me last night while I was out shopping and talked me into buying MAG. Haven't opened it since he has been at work today... but what is with the lack of reviews for this game? I've barely been able to find any. Hopefully it's good and I'm just not back playing MW2/MW in a day or two after spending $60 on this.

Game is online only, so the reviewers had to wait for 26th and the server start-up to get a chance to play the gold version for an extended period of time.

Kyoufu

Thanks for the games RavenGAF. Had a ton of fun reviving you guys. Too tired to figure out why my mic isn't working, bleh.

Any reason why you can't cook grenades?

Wes

venison crêpe
Just had one of my best moments yet:

Start of the game, threw one grenade, killed 6, and because it was a FRAGO I got 60xp! :lol

J-Rzez

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds said:

Lack of reviews are from some sites doing the right thing and giving the game some time since it's online only to review it, as servers didn't go up until day 1 strictly for once. The more time they put into the game, the more favorable the review will be I'd imagine.

If you're competitive, enjoy teamwork, get wet over the number of people out there to kill, have brain activity, and can overcome that you have to aim at people and that the game doesn't for you, you'll get into MAG and shy away from MW2. I haven't played MW2 in weeks now.

Wes

venison crêpe
RavenFox said:
I might just grab this tonight. How do I join up with my GAF brothers?

Signup to a PMC in the thread in the online subforum!

Given your name, there can be only one choice, right?

Top Bottom