• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

BeeDog

Alright, after a lot of PM correspondence (sorry, you involved guys, for bothering you!), it seems the UK version of the game has a different disc code than the other European countries:

UK: BCES-00818
EU: BCES-00558 (confirmed for Spain and Sweden)

Figured this might be of some interest to some, in case of country-specific DLC in the future. Thanks to all who bothered to answer me!

Click

Banned
It sucks that the platoon leader-only ability called Sensor Sweep doesn't work at all.

They're already gimped as it is because they can't set FRAGOs and can't set waypoints. To take away 1 of their only 2 abilities when defending is just wrong...

I just traded MW2 for this straight up, holy shit I didn't expect to own this game :lol

The question remains....which team do I chose! I got the SVER preorder bonus but I need to check out which GAFers are on which team, although I don't want to be on the most populated team I think.

Wes

venison crêpe
Lion Heart said:
I just traded MW2 for this straight up, holy shit I didn't expect to own this game :lol

The question remains....which team do I chose! I got the SVER preorder bonus but I need to check out which GAFers are on which team, although I don't want to be on the most populated team I think.

Read the thread more people. I've posted this link more times than is really necessary.

CHECK THE PMC CLAN THREAD IN THE ONLINE FORUM HERE

theBishop

Banned
Xater said:

Gerstmann's review is perfectly fair and GB's video coverage was probably the best treatment of MAG this week.

That said, it was clear from the videos he didn't gel with the intricacies of teamwork and command in mag. So it's not surprising he was relatively underwhelmed by MAG's innovations. It only takes a couple rounds of serious coordination to be hooked. If you never had that experience, you're unfortunately left with MAG's lack of personality, the steep learning curve, etc.

Shoulda chosen Raven, buddy. We're all business.

I chose Raven because they have the best Suppression map in my opinion by dear lord are we terrible. Every once in a while there's a shining beacon of hope where we work together but usually it's just a massacre. 30 more levels and I can Veteran into something else.

J-Rzez

TestMonkey said:
I chose Raven because they have the best Suppression map in my opinion by dear lord are we terrible. Every once in a while there's a shining beacon of hope where we work together but usually it's just a massacre. 30 more levels and I can Veteran into something else.

I have to agree, Raven has been horrible. Starting to feel bad for them that we should've went their way to help them out.

Wes

venison crêpe
Two fights against SVER made me angry enough to respec.

One was a domination. One was an acquistion.

We didn't get a plant on the first bunker even once.

Ok so I'm finally able to put some time into the game and I'm up into the 128 player servers now. Holy shit. This game is amazing.

My initial take on the game came with a few issues with intuitiveness. The manual clearly blows donkey dick, but a lot of really necessary things in this game actually do come very naturally. I'm talking about things like knowing who your squad is in the mix of large numbers of players, players helping their teammates out with heals (at least in part for their own xp benefit of course), and players banding up to accomplish objectives.

Someone else mentioned how cinematic this game is and it's amazing how many little random awesome moments happen. Was the first time I happened to be near AAA when the opposing team put out a UAV, and watching it spray death at the drone was really nifty. I got shot staring up at the sky because of it, but it was a really neat thing to watch.

I can't decide if I like this game or not. Gunplay definitely isn't as fun as MW/MW2, but maybe the objective gameplay and overall scale will make up for that. The control configs also piss me off. The firing and weapon switching is opposite of what I think it should be. Half the time I go to kill someone I press the wrong fucking button and switch weapons. Why the fuck don't these games let you map shit to whatever button you want!? Ugh, pisses me off. Zipper also needed some kind of video tutorial that explained shit like the different factions, skill trees, and other stuff to the player. It feels like they just throw you in the shit hole and make you figure everything out yourself. The manual sucks ass too. I could see a lot of casuals picking this up, getting turned off within the first hours, and then running back to mw2/mw/killzone/whatever.

Oh well, now that I've played a little I'm going to start over with a different faction. We'll see how it goes.

sun-drop

not many reviews are mentioning that your squad mates names are always visable on screen at any time, pretty much any one who's name is actually floating above them is a sqaud mate, the others are just part of yr faction etc in another squad...

doesn't seem like much but took a cpl phses of the beta for me to realise that fact, and ne i did, made me feel like i was more part of a team i guess *shrug* .. think the hud is really great in this game ..from the damage circle showing you where shots are coing from, to the objectives...breaks everything down really effectivly imo.

theBishop

Banned
GoodMorning said:
I really wish squad leaders would frago something other than the vehicles in acquisition.

Who the hell is doing that?! I want names!

If a squad leader doesn't immediately frago the bunker when the game starts, they should be questioned at least. If nothing else, (on the defending side) they're depriving their squad of many many bonus points everyone could be receiving.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Wes said:
Two fights against SVER made me angry enough to respec.

One was a domination. One was an acquistion.

We didn't get a plant on the first bunker even once.
I had to walk away :lol
It was so bad...

theBishop said:
Who the hell is doing that?! I want names!

If a squad leader doesn't immediately frago the bunker when the game starts, they should be questioned at least. If nothing else, (on the defending side) they're depriving their squad of many many bonus points everyone could be receiving.

lol just some random squad leaders. Me and lyulf were playing and our squad leader didn't move the frago (we were defending) so as soon as the bunker was destroyed nobody went back to try and repair it with the exception of us.

J-Rzez

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds said:
I can't decide if I like this game or not. Gunplay definitely isn't as fun as MW/MW2, but maybe the objective gameplay and overall scale will make up for that. The control configs also piss me off. The firing and weapon switching is opposite of what I think it should be. Half the time I go to kill someone I press the wrong fucking button and switch weapons. Why the fuck don't these games let you map shit to whatever button you want!? Ugh, pisses me off. Zipper also needed some kind of video tutorial that explained shit like the different factions, skill trees, and other stuff to the player. It feels like they just throw you in the shit hole and make you figure everything out yourself. The manual sucks ass too. I could see a lot of casuals picking this up, getting turned off within the first hours, and then running back to mw2/mw/killzone/whatever.

Oh well, now that I've played a little I'm going to start over with a different faction. We'll see how it goes.

Go back to auto-aim of duty, this game isn't for you. Gunplay not as fun, or just not enough auto-aim? Not every game should be like MW, nor should they control like it. If you want to talk about shitty manuals, lets go back to MW2 and discuss that as well.

And what's so complicated in what to do? Seriously people, I'm seeing this so much, it's not that complicated. Is it that other shooters have rotted your brains to the point where the common sense zone is unactive? Is it that hard to read the summary at the loading screen? Is it that hard to read the text in-game along with the big ol blue and red icons? And to have a video on the skill trees? Really? Maybe they should auto-add the points for you.

This game to me isn't something that would only appeal to ultra-hardcores, I'm starting to rethink that. Sad thing is, it's because other shooters have been diluting peoples skills/expectations. This game is heavy teamwork/strat/skills, it's refreshing to not have another training wheels shooter.

theBishop

Banned
GoodMorning said:
lol just some random squad leaders. Me and lyulf were playing and our squad leader didn't move the frago (we were defending) so as soon as the bunker was destroyed nobody went back to try and repair it with the exception of us.

I have no patience for bad squad leaders. Especially if they don't have a mic. I'll try to mutiny against them within minutes if it's clear they're out of their depth. I don't mind taking orders, but if you're not giving orders it's time to go.

Razardica

Neo Member
J-Rzez said:
This game to me isn't something that would only appeal to ultra-hardcores, I'm starting to rethink that. Sad thing is, it's because other shooters have been diluting peoples skills/expectations. This game is heavy teamwork/strat/skills, it's refreshing to not have another training wheels shooter.

Agree.

I'm spoiled by the j-rzez/click/telemachus/reckoning combo

noah111

Still Alive
Really need to pick this up soon, the beta was pretty meh at first, but once I got to around lvl 7-10 I was hooked.

Though i'm wondering, what's the general consensus in comparison to the beta? Does it run/look a bit better of is it the exact same from the naked eye?

R4L!

J-Rzez said:
Go back to auto-aim of duty, this game isn't for you. Gunplay not as fun, or just not enough auto-aim? Not every game should be like MW, nor should they control like it. If you want to talk about shitty manuals, lets go back to MW2 and discuss that as well.

And what's so complicated in what to do? Seriously people, I'm seeing this so much, it's not that complicated. Is it that other shooters have rotted your brains to the point where the common sense zone is unactive? Is it that hard to read the summary at the loading screen? Is it that hard to read the text in-game along with the big ol blue and red icons? And to have a video on the skill trees? Really? Maybe they should auto-add the points for you.

lol what. I was just coming back to say how much I've enjoyed myself the last few games and I get this... Fuck you too dude.

Anyway, switched to SERV, created a clan, and grouped up with some friends. I love the fact you can adjust X and Y sensitivity, even if the shitty control configs still piss me off. Getting used to the AK74u and got me some claymores! Going to eat then spend the rest of the night playing. Fun game so far, but it definitely took some getting used to.

theBishop

Banned
J-Rzez said:

If the art style wasn't so stark, I think less hardcore gamers would vibe with the support roles. You can do a lot in the game without going for headshots. With 256 players in a game, stealth becomes an important tactic.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
So annoying...got that 2nd tier RPG and still couldnt take out turrets. Shot the 3 and by time I could get more ammo its repaired or something else is going on....arggg

PEZIX

Banned
Alright time for my two cents.. first off FUCK THOSE GATLING BUNKERS!!! Zipper if effing retarded for putting those up,.. Like we had full mic squad with a tight crew but its useless if the enemy team has a tight crew also 2 Gatling bunkers+14 enemies= Fucking ***, Also SVER is so favored their maps are the hardest thing ive ever seen, we plant c4 on gate they sit on the otherside in perfect cover and disarm,... WTF

ZIPPER get ur shit straight,.. but other than that this game is fire son

M4+silencer+Acog+bipod=angel of death.:D

Edit: Thanks for the heads up!

Found these pics on random google trip, thought they were interesting. So I figured I would share. Hopefully these aren't old.

nike_dunk_hi_mag_valor.jpg

nike_dunk_hi_mag_sver.jpg

nike_dunk_hi_mag_raven.jpg

Edit: Bah... http://www.coryrepp.com/photoshop/nike-dunk-hi-mag-faction-series-valor-raven-sver

Trevelyan said:
Holy shit I hope those are real. I would buy a pair in a heartbeat.

Haha, yeah I doubt they are real. Would be nice if they were though. Found them in a google image search from a "December Virtual Items Suggestion Thread" on the playstation forums. Although the guy who posted them, also posted real pics of PMC shirts. I searched a little more on google, and found nothing about them. :(

Top Bottom