• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Fixed1979

Is there any site that has a large image of the in game maps (I'm at work and can't check the official site)? Some of the maps are so large it's going to be really fun to see how the strategy evolves as players get used to the game.

3 hours and the weekend of MAG begins.

Blair

Banned
been playing for a couple of hours, good fun so far.

also, has anyone actually been alive when that rock music kicks in? i always get a bunch of kills > rock music > die instantly. pretty funny listening to epic rock while waiting to respawn.

darkwing

Blair said:
been playing for a couple of hours, good fun so far.

also, has anyone actually been alive when that rock music kicks in? i always get a bunch of kills > rock music > die instantly. pretty funny listening to epic rock while waiting to respawn.

yup sometimes you get it when you get an insane amount of points from reviving , or when you get an objective like blowing up bunkers

Fixed1979

Smidget said:
How do you know when's the best time to give up and bleed out? Is there any indication of the spawn counter anywhere?

I've been watching the names of dead squad mates, you can get an idea of when they're re-spawning by the red bar that's "counting down".

gillFTR

I'm really on the fence about picking this game up...I'm a huge battlefield (PC) franchise fan. My favorite part of the franchise was the vehicles...how are they in this game?

Fixed1979

gillFTR said:
I'm really on the fence about picking this game up...I'm a huge battlefield (PC) franchise fan. My favorite part of the franchise was the vehicles...how are they in this game?

Compared to BF, they play a very small roll. Not to say they aren't important, but it's not set up at all like BF.

TheFallen

TheFatOne said:
Way to inconsistent. Why do I have to wait 15+ seconds sometimes after I completely bleed out.
Look at the squad portion of the HUD, if there are any people waiting on respawn, there will be a red bar behind their name counting down till they can respawn. This is how you know when the next batch of reinforcements arrive. So if you spot no medics nearby and notice someone's red bar is roughly 35%, you can release and spawn instantly. If you release too early, you'll be waiting longer. If you release too late, you'll wait till the next batch. If no one is dead and waiting for a respawn, you're SOL. Watch for medics.

It's actually a lot better this way, otherwise you'd have people respawning at different times running off to their death quickly. This way everyone can go to the objective together. Ooooh teamwork, forgot about that huh?

Mesijs said:
What does FRAGO mean exactly?
Its kinda like an audible in Football. A change or amendment to an existing order. There are other types like Warning Orders (WARNO) and Operation Orders (OPORD) as well.

Edit: I had a dream last night that this game didn't have grenades. It was a spam-free paradise.

... then I walked right into a claymore. ;P

gillFTR

Fixed1979 said:
Compared to BF, they play a very small roll. Not to say they aren't important, but it's not set up at all like BF.
Dang, the reason I loved the vehicles was when I got tired of shooting people I would always have something to do...Sometimes I would fly a blackhawk drop squadmates off at flags etc and It felt like I always always playing a big role. Also how is the leveling I saw the trophies for this game how long would it take to reach level 60 with 1 faction?

Facism

FFO where did GAFe go in the end? SVER, Raven or Vagina?

I'll see if they'll take R&C: Crack in Time at blockbuster tomorrow.

Liberty4all

Banned
TheFatOne said:
Way to inconsistent. Why do I have to wait 15+ seconds sometimes after I completely bleed out.

Somebody beat me to the punch. But yeah basically this isn't Modern Warfare insta spawn the second you die. The game makes you actually care about staying alive, not to be an idiot rushing in to instantly die. The game also gives you a reason NOT to bleed out for those times when you do get knocked down so medics will pick you back up (along with providing nessecary xp incentive to ensure there ARE actually lots of medics), and the respawn system also supports the "wave" structure. When defenders beat back a "wave" they get a chance to heal up, regroup and so forth. Likewise attackers get a chance to rush in as a unit rather than piecemeal.

The spawn system is amazing.

theBishop

Banned
Bamelin said:
The spawn system is amazing.

b9408aec0b9f96e5.jpg

indeed.

theBishop

Banned
gillFTR said:

There are some group vehicles, but they're totally not the core of the game. Don't expect to be dropping bombs from an F15.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
The only thing I dont like about the spawn system is the redeploying at last second makes you wait that extra 20seconds. Also sometimes I feel like I bleedout in time to hit the time and still miss it.

Corran Horn said:
The only thing I dont like about the spawn system is the redeploying at last second makes you wait that extra 20seconds. Also sometimes I feel like I bleedout in time to hit the time and still miss it.
what I don't like is having to respawn all the way at the beginning of the map and by the time I reach the action the game is over. :)

KZObsessed

Wes said:
The majority did, but some went to Raven didn't they? *wink nudge*

I don't think Illana and Dan would appreciate me referring to them as a bromance tho :p

ffs, in this domination game I can't spawn! I'm a floating stationary camera that can do nothing. I can't even kill myself! fuuuuuuuu

edit: now I'm stuck on the after game stats screen. I thought that party invite would save me but I accepted and I could hear them speaking but I was still stuck :lol RAGE

edit2: now I get left in the party screen while everyone else enters the game, ffs, this game needs some fixes.

Kowak

Banned
Wes said:
Just had one of my best moments yet:

Start of the game, threw one grenade, killed 6, and because it was a FRAGO I got 60xp! :lol

i was so annoyed you must have got your grenades off just a second earlier then me.

My best moment was going about 30-0 with about 12 assists in acquisition.

that was a quality six hour session. would still be on if the living room wasnt occupied. really need to get a tv for my room.

(was thinking to myself that the iPad would be perfect for me, allowing me to play and then check up on gaf as my computer is in my room and cant be bothered always checking on my iPhone)

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Wes said:
Just had one of my best moments yet:

Start of the game, threw one grenade, killed 6, and because it was a FRAGO I got 60xp! :lol

I saw it, a lot of unfortunate Valor gentlemen coming through a break in the fence at the same time. :lol

Kowak said:
(was thinking to myself that the iPad would be perfect for me, allowing me to play and then check up on gaf as my computer is in my room and cant be bothered always checking on my iPhone)

That's pretty much my setup for home...i game in my living room, and my pc is in my downstairs office, so we have a netbook so we can browse anywhere in the house.

Crummy thing about iPad is no flash support.... :(

Fixed1979

Jesse Jane said:
what I don't like is having to respawn all the way at the beginning of the map and by the time I reach the action the game is over. :)

Sounds like you need to adjust your re-spawn point maybe?

TheFatOne

Xater said:
Had some fun games with Valor GAF. Destroyed SVER in the last game I played. :lol

Shit I am actually liking this game now. When it all comes together the game is incredible fun.

BTW Ginat Bomb Review is up: 4/5

PS: Lyulf is pretty hardcore. :lol

I am The KING for a reason. Man that machine gun is just ridiculous. I would go into a room and just destroy people. BTW Xater wait to you hear me trash talk before calling me hardcore :lol

darkwing said:
the respawn comes in cycles, that way you don't spawn alone

=0 Now everything makes perfect sense.

Edit: I don't think Valor GAF has enough players. I might switch to a different PMC, but I haven't decided yet.

Xater

TheFatOne said:
I am The KING for a reason. Man that machine gun is just ridiculous. I would go into a room and just destroy people. BTW Xater wait to you hear me trash talk before calling me hardcore :lol

It's just the expressions I got after looking at our XPs. I think I was second best in the squad with alot of XP but you still doubled that. :lol

I'm just happy I got a cuple of kill streaks with my trusty AR.

TheFatOne

Xater said:
It's just the expressions I got after looking at our XPs. I think I was second best in the squad with alot of XP but you still doubled that. :lol

I'm just happy I got a cuple of kill streaks with my trusty AR.

Yea I had something like 56 kills :lol Its so easy withe that heavy machine gun.

TheFatOne

Mesijs said:
Do you guys like the default aim sensitivity or do you change it...? Aiming isn't going really well just yet...

I left mine at default, but it took me several hours in the beta to get used to it.

oktarb

OK, so I went a little bat-shit crazy while at work today.

I broke down all the weapon and factions and ran a comparison. My goal was not to answer the age old question of “Who has the better weapons?” It was an exercise in numbers, nothing more.

For each category there is Sum comparison with and without the ammo calculated. One could argue that the ammo count throws the comparison off too much. So I gave both.

If we look strictly at math then there appears to be a numeric advantage to Raven with Valor in the middle and S.V.E.R. in last place. Without ammo count Valor takes a tiny step into first place, Raven falls in the middle and S.V.E.R. remains in last place.

There are so many considerations to take into consideration so please don’t take this as gospel. Just a little free time on my hands.

If you see an error or you would likes the Excel version PM me. Enjoy?...

os8wud.jpg

300ehya.jpg

1z4evia.jpg

wkmeyx.jpg

33eosq8.jpg

2ex92yf.jpg

Chaos-Mandatory - Valor

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
TheFatOne said:
I respec'ed to a machine gun user and holy shit thats awesome. Got 60~kills on my first match by basically mowing down people in domination while they tried to disarm my stuff

Top Bottom