• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

my 2 cents (I played SVER and Raven in the Betas): I think it's generally harder for the attacking team to actually win regardless of map which is how it should be imo.

Some maps are more open for the turrets but it's certainly not impossible to counter them/come close enough.

It would be interesting to see some (official) stats of how often each map was won by the attacking team.
Also, a few coordinated squads (=clans, friends, good leaders etc.) in one PMC vs. none in the other have an much, MUCH bigger effect on the match outcome than any possible map advantage.

btw, in regard to this weapon data I fail to see how any of the PMCs has (dis)advantages in weaponry?

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
commish said:
It's true, and in the end, the "superior" side really isn't superior once the other side gets with it. That said, I'm SVER, and we win easily almost all the damn time. But people can complain about maps or whatever, but all I see is such stupidity from the other 2 factions that I just shake my head. "Hey, let's take this apc right up to the bunker!" Also, I'm not sure if you guys get a sniper bonus or whatever, but I see a ton of people just hanging back, trying to pick us off.

That's kind of the point, it may look like the other side is just "doing stupid shit" but truth is they are trying to attack the only (currently) perceived weakness on the map, it just happens to funnel them into a silly killzone that makes more sit much further back and snipe, there's very little 'intelligent' attacking options, in the same way there really isn't an intelligent Raven Domination defending option, we're talking about a side that has the other side spawn inside their base FFS, madness :p

dorkimoe

havent been able to play in like 2 days, im gonna fall behind :(

dont worry sver gaf, ill be back soon. i know you all miss me

Lince

Banned
Violater said:
What time does GAF SVER domination begin today?

I've sent you like three group invites and stuff that you ignored, we won a fucking amazing domination game with FFO, Sagen and another GAFer where we kicked our useless squad leader out of the game :lol

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
FFObsessed said:
Excellent pic of Valor's domination map at the bottom there. :lol
What? Valor maps are NOTHING like that bunker.gif.

BattleMonkey said:
So your going to jump to SVER? Really this is the worst thing that happens with online games, people jumping ship to the "superior" side. Tends to make things worse.
That's what's going to happen down the road if Zipper doesn't change do anything about it.

commish said:
It's true, and in the end, the "superior" side really isn't superior once the other side gets with it. That said, I'm SVER, and we win easily almost all the damn time. But people can complain about maps or whatever, but all I see is such stupidity from the other 2 factions that I just shake my head. "Hey, let's take this apc right up to the bunker!" Also, I'm not sure if you guys get a sniper bonus or whatever, but I see a ton of people just hanging back, trying to pick us off.
Anther one of those SVER is elite posts?

People fall back and snipe out of frustration most of the time. 8+ rockets from all the bunkers lined up = APC dead in 1 second! There aren't any "alternate" routes on SVER map, unlike Raven or Valor maps.

Violater

Lince said:
I've sent you like three group invites and stuff that you ignored, we won a fucking amazing domination game with FFO, Sagen and another GAFer where we kicked our useless squad leader out of the game :lol

Ok wrapping one up be there in 15

Kowak

Banned
i need to respec to the raven machine gun, the assault rifle is fucking terrible. i will give it till tomorrow and then change it.

KaYotiX

Banned
SVER all the way!!!! Game is addicting and i really wish the 360 had a game like this ONLY becasue most of my friends usually game on the 360. I still play it everyday though regardless :D

Trevelyan

Banned
Kowak said:
i need to respec to the raven machine gun, the assault rifle is fucking terrible. i will give it till tomorrow and then change it.

Really? Which rifle? I've spec'd to the 2nd assault rifle you can get, have an optical scope equipped to it and I'm loving it. K/D is normally 2:1 in most matches, sometimes more. It's very stable and has excellent accuracy. I will say though that their LMG is pretty powerful as well.

I just picked up my pre order. I didn't follow MAG too closely so I have no real idea what I'm in for but I'm excited to play while my PS3 updates, etc. Once I figure out whats going on I'd like to join the GAF activities.

I also have an extra Gamestop pre-order Reedem Code if anyone wants it.

NoName#1

Neo Member
I am really enjoying a game where a large portion of the players actually care about the objectives and not just their own K/D ratio (although I do admit that I check it after most matches). I would like it if they included some other more class based stats. I play mostly as a medic so my revive/death ratio is probably 0.6. Which reminds me, 'Bleeders' (people who bleed out as soon as they hit the ground) annoy the hell out of me. The CoD mentality of respawning instantly will hopefully go away once people get a little more used to the tactics of the game.

theBishop

Banned
NoName#1 said:
I am really enjoying a game where a large portion of the players actually care about the objectives and not just their own K/D ratio (although I do admit that I check it after most matches). I would like it if they included some other more class based stats. I play mostly as a medic so my revive/death ratio is probably 0.6. Which reminds me, 'Bleeders' (people who bleed out as soon as they hit the ground) annoy the hell out of me. The CoD mentality of respawning instantly will hopefully go away once people get a little more used to the tactics of the game.

The thing "bleeders" will learn eventually is that the time spent running from the spawn to the frago (and possible firefights/deaths along the way) is a bigger impediment to racking up Mad Pointz than waiting a few seconds to be revived.

theBishop

Banned
jonnybryce said:
I just picked up my pre order. I didn't follow MAG too closely so I have no real idea what I'm in for but I'm excited to play while my PS3 updates, etc. Once I figure out whats going on I'd like to join the GAF activities.

I also have an extra Gamestop pre-order Reedem Code if anyone wants it.

Is it Raven goodies? I will happily trade SVER goodies for Raven.

thaOwner said:
I dont think so. Am in a game right now.

Kicked me out of a game, now I'm getting a 9:2 message saying I'm not connected to the PSN (I am) or the Game Universe is undergoing maintenance. Wonder if its SVER side only?

Sorry Gaf, I joined SVER, I couldn't resist the preorder bonus :p.

Is it possible to unlock more armor later on, stuff that isn't show when scrolling through? For example, how do you get that face scarf on the preorder card?

Chriswok said:
Kicked me out of a game, now I'm getting a 9:2 message saying I'm not connected to the PSN (I am) or the Game Universe is undergoing maintenance. Wonder if its SVER side only?

Hmm, let me back on but kicked me off again. Rest of the net is fine, wonder if its just the PS3's wireless connection. Ah well, give it a rest and try later.

thaOwner

Chriswok said:
I am playing as a sver and didn't have any problems. It did happed to me a couple of times yesterday though but none today.

Kowak

Banned
Chriswok said:
Hmm, let me back on but kicked me off again. Rest of the net is fine, wonder if its just the PS3's wireless connection. Ah well, give it a rest and try later.

for me it is the other way around, my ps3 connection is great but my pc internet is slow the last couple of days.

PEZIX

Banned
Bajan32 said:
Lmao.. That shit is so fucking funny because it's true. We played a Dom mach against SVER and tore through their frontline and spent much of the rest of the game wondering why no other platoon was breaking through.... That was until the next game... Same thing except we were spawning on the east side this time... Then it looked exactly like that pic.

Hella fun games earlier tho Raven

The pain of spawning on the east side... is almost too much to take

Last night like 3 ppl in my squad would repeatedly kill me. It made absolutely no sense since it was usually just me and they'd do it on their way to the objective. I don't have a mic and I was just trying to play... So weird since it's the only time in my experience in MAG to be TK'd like that.

PTCoakley said:
Last night like 3 ppl in my squad would repeatedly kill me. It made absolutely no sense since it was usually just me and they'd do it on their way to the objective. I don't have a mic and I was just trying to play... So weird since it's the only time in my experience in MAG to be TK'd like that.

Hopefully the cocks will go back to MW2 or xboxlive after a few weeks! :D

shock33

How do you join as a team? Could see some of RavenGAF in games, but couldn't join them. How are you supposed to arrange group games?

andycapps

I'm about to go pickup MAG at the store. Should I be SVER, Raven, or Valor? What GAF clans are there for North America? And if anyone is running that, please send me a clan invite. Love to play with some Gaffers tonight. Played the beta a bit. Oh, have a headset as well if that makes a difference to some.

depward

andycapps said:
I'm about to go pickup MAG at the store. Should I be SVER, Raven, or Valor? What GAF clans are there for North America? And if anyone is running that, please send me a clan invite. Love to play with some Gaffers tonight. Played the beta a bit. Oh, have a headset as well if that makes a difference to some.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385029

Roll SVER if you want an automatic win button. Roll Raven if you want to be the underdog and have a great feeling of satisfaction when you put together wins. Roll Valor if you like to roll up your sleeves.

Proc

I'm pretty close to picking this up after hearing anthony's impressions on rebel fm and reading jeff's review at giant bomb.

Chriswok said:
Hopefully the cocks will go back to MW2 or xboxlive after a few weeks! :D

Followed the port forwarding post on the MAG forum, hopefully that'll help.

EDIT:

Actually, doing that has fucked up the rest of the internet... bah.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
depward said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385029

Roll SVER if you want an automatic win button. Roll Raven if you want to be the underdog and have a great feeling of satisfaction when you put together wins. Roll Valor if you like to roll up your sleeves.

Like I said before, I started in Raven. They were completely disorganized. There was zero coordination. I almost gave up on the game.

Then I joined SVER. Every single game we have won, and every squad I've been in communicated and got the job done.

I'm starting to think it's less a question of map balance. Why Raven attracts nitwits I can't grasp... one would think the law of averages would make every side have an equal share of idiots and competents but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

oneHeero

What's up with SVER? Thinking of leaving or what? I dislike playing on a side that everyone feels are overpowered. I prefer underdog teams. Any interest in changing from other SVER? I'll probably do it.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Might have to return this game. I have been dropped out of 80% of the games I've played today. Probably lost 5 levels just off that.

Shred0r

Banned
Chances are high that this hilarious pic already got posted but its so funny its worth being posted another time! Enjoy!

bunker.jpg

TheFatOne

I'm really starting to regret buying this game. More than 75% the people I have been playing with don't have mics. It makes it almost impossible to get a coordinated attack. Another big problem is squad leaders who don't know what they are doing. They keep setting ridiculous frago points. There are not enough ways to communicate to players without mics. It seems like no one wants to play as a medic. The last 5 or six games I have played I was either the only medic or there were only three people who could revive others. Domination for me is pretty bad. The frame rate is just horrendous. This game is starting to remind me of Killzone 2. A lot of great core concepts that are not well done.

Kowak

Banned
TheFatOne said:
I'm really starting to regret buying this game. More than 75% the people I have been playing with don't have mics. It makes it almost impossible to get a coordinated attack. Another big problem is squad leaders who don't know what they are doing. They keep setting ridiculous frago points. There are not enough ways to communicate to players without mics. It seems like no one wants to play as a medic. The last 5 or six games I have played I was either the only medic or there were only three people who could revive others. Domination for me is pretty bad. The frame rate is just horrendous. This game is starting to remind me of Killzone 2. A lot of great core concepts that are not well done.

come join raven gaf, seems a high percentage have mics.

Kowak

Banned
i actually had to quit a game a few minutes into earlier, was squad leader and driving the apc when three northern british twats from the same clan start the game all saying they wanted to drive and have the turret. then start bitching at my driving because they couldnt drive. then when we all hop out one of them shoots me in the back and starts bragging about it. i then spent two minutes killing and reviving that game before i noticed my xp was negative.

I spent 20 minutes in a match last night listening to two guys discuss Obama conspiracy theories in a heavy drawl. I see the lack of mics as a positive thing.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
FlyinJ said:
Like I said before, I started in Raven. They were completely disorganized. There was zero coordination. I almost gave up on the game.

Then I joined SVER. Every single game we have won, and every squad I've been in communicated and got the job done.

I'm starting to think it's less a question of map balance. Why Raven attracts nitwits I can't grasp... one would think the law of averages would make every side have an equal share of idiots and competents but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
EVERY MATCH? Even random players? You can't be serious... It is understandable that most random players/newbies wouldn't know what the fuck it is that they need to do when they start playing MAG at first, I'm sure even SVER players needed time to get used to it. I've seen tons of videos on justintv from retail (and then there is gianbomb first look videos), and played with SVER in beta, and I can safely say that the amount of teamwork (between randoms) was the same as any other faction.

Lince

Banned
this ain't MW2, it's gonna take a while until the good games are the norm and not the exception, as it's now you're either dominating or being dominated depending on the number of newbies on your/the other team.

and I'm pretty sure the low/stuttering framerate with 256 players is a server-side issue, the server can't keep up with the calculations at times and the client (the PS3) is waiting for them to arrive before drawing the next frame and sometimes just skips to next one resulting in lag and lost frames, hope they can optimize the code further or beef up the servers because Domination games are so much fun and they're somewhat ruined by these technical issues.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
This is another thing that I dislike. People ridiculing/putting down CoD. Sure these two games are VERY different from each other, but why do people feel the need to insult CoD players is beyond me...

No matter what though, Raven's always going to be the underdog, and SVER's always going to have easy wins. Especially after players from each factions figure their shit out. Who do you think has a better chance of winning? Equally coordinated/skilled teams on each side, one with a sucky map and another with a heavily defender friendly map?

J-Rzez

TheFatOne said:

Gotta say, I think you rolled the wrong team. Should've went SVER or worse come to worse, Raven. Valor is horribad like the kids would say. In SVER, we all have mics, plus some of the most talented mercs out there. FR has only been a lil iffy in Doms at times.

Lince

Banned
Inanna said:
This is another thing that I dislike. People ridiculing/putting down CoD. Sure these two games are VERY different from each other, but why do people feel the need to insult CoD players is beyond me...

I played CoD for 200 hours, do you think I'm insulting CoD players by saying this game is not MW2? I'm just saying MAG won't give you instant gratifications by killing a lot of guys with basic mechanics (or sometimes no mechanics at all), in MAG you need to stop, think and of course, be a team player. I respect CoD players, of course these games are worlds apart but MAG is just better in my opinion.

<3 Foxgirl

Kowak

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Gotta say, I think you rolled the wrong team. Should've went SVER or worse come to worse, Raven. Valor is horribad like the kids would say. In SVER, we all have mics, plus some of the most talented mercs out there. FR has only been a lil iffy in Doms at times.

the real talent is at Raven, anyone would look talented on SVER but Raven requires a constant skill to be willing to be killed 30 times in acquisition and then say "we'll get you next time SVER scum"

theBishop

Banned
Kowak said:
the real talent is at Raven, anyone would look talented on SVER but Raven requires a constant skill to be willing to be killed 30 times in acquisition and then say "we'll get you next time SVER scum"

Of course the real talent is in Raven. I'm in Raven.

Top Bottom