• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

blazinglazers said:
Fun games tonight Valor Kings! Sorry I don't have a mic, but I follow orders… doors be getting' repaired.

*salutes*

"look at friggles he's such a hero!" :lol I had a good day with Valo it was a marathon session but we were like 6-2.

For any players wondering I am sure Valor is the team in the middle.

blazinglazers said:
Fun games tonight Valor Kings! Sorry I don't have a mic, but I follow orders… doors be getting' repaired.

*salutes*
*salutes*

Good times. Good times. You too Anerythristic, even if your name is fucking impossible to say in the middle of battle. :lol

icechai

gluv65 said:
I'm in valor and I was just on a squad filled with Japanese and these guys were handling their business. They were speaking their language on their mics and I couldn't understand a damn thing, so I was just following the pulsating frago and we won. We all had mics and I couldn't understand a fucking thing, is this a weakness or strenght? worldwide servers that is?

this actually just shows how great their implementation of squad leading is. You really don't have to understand them, you just have to see their goals and follow. Think i'll be coming on in a bit if anyone is still on late night SVER side :)

Oh gosh...guys :lol :lol :lol , I can balance the SVER maps in five minutes.

On Domination simply take out all of the corridors (i.e. one of the burnoff towers has an approach where you are walking down a little valley rock on both sides pretty much single file, cmon :lol ) .

AB is really OK, so is GH. The CD/EF approach is horrible one of the bunkers can literally shoot within 30 yards of a spawn point, unforgivable design,it could actually be argued the bunker spawn camps.

The area where the 3 or so bunkers can lay down coverfire for themselves perfectly needs to be redone, it's a meat grinder, not with clutter though, tall walls or preferably trees.

Take out the jutted balconies that cover the entrance doors to the objectives, they already have open windows, the balconies are the unfair advantage.

Another thing, all the clutter, stairways and nooks and crannies favor a defender, they do nothing for an attacker, especially a timed attack.

You want organization? I would love Zipper to take a squad and walk from spawn to the main objectives for example. Walk as a team checking every hole, every small wall, check and clear all that damn clutter and garbage calling "CLEAR" after it's verified. I guarantee you it would take 5 minutes or more just to get to the objectives. the other boards just don't have the amount of garbage and tight spaces that SVER levels do.

Edit: As a matter of fact, Valor actually has a pved road leading to the objectives because it is not in a garbage dump, thatsimple, tactical facing, covering pattern, call 'em as you see 'em. 30 seconds down the road :D

dorkimoe

:(

i was planting a bomb today, my teamate came up behind me unloaded a whole clip, then planted

guess he really wanted the trophy :(

jorma

is now taking requests
J-Rzez said:
I was thinking Valor too, as they need the most help it seems. I look forward to the challenge, and showing people that SVER is the skill of the player, not the map design once again.

SVER has a map advantage, there is no denying this. Also, i do think SVER has more experienced players and commanders, it seems SVER ended up with a lot of the people from the betas. So the map advantage isn't just about the map advantage, its also about all the other implications it brought, where an experienced sver OIC play against a side with no OIC at all -> spammed mortar spawn point rape.

Add to that that people are starting to drop out when attacking SVER. Play with randoms and the likelyhood of ending up in a full squad is slim. Taking out or defending a bunker is hard as it is, doing it with 6 people makes it worse.

So yeah, i do hope some of the experienced commanders switch sides just to prove a point. We'll never hear an end to the bragging obviously, but at least the game will be more fun for everyone.

theBishop said:
I'm also curious about this. Is it pointless to use Guided Artillery on a pack of infantry units?

I belive you can't lock onto APCs, you need to make a judgment where they're going to be at the point when the bombs start to fall.

Liberty4all

Banned
Great games tonight Raven GAF.

We actually came somewhat close to beating SVER on Domination tonight, we held C and D for most of the game. Too bad half our team was never broke through the front lines, we were sooo close.

RavenGAF is so much fun to play with. Everyone's got mics, we coordinate and have alot of fun. It's nice too having enough people to run a full squad and on the offchance a non gaffer gets squad lead we can insta boot if he's not doing his job.

It's a shame some of the RavenGAF regulars (Soktos, Olderman and a few others) haven't got posting access to the forums here yet.

playing 64 player sabotage is fortunately lag free on my connection. I choose SVER and have been playing suppression and sabotage so far. no teamwork at all so far. my squad leader just took off on his own. tried to follow but got killed on the way. still have fun though.

Xater

MY biggest problem with this game so far is that it crashes way too often. Just now I played a match nothing special was happening and I got a complete lock up. Zipper needs to patch this shit up.

Cagen

Callibretto said:
playing 64 player sabotage is fortunately lag free on my connection. I choose SVER and have been playing suppression and sabotage so far. no teamwork at all so far. my squad leader just took off on his own. tried to follow but got killed on the way. still have fun though.
To be fair, in those two modes the squad leader doesn't have anything to do and there's not much team work needed besides a focused attack on objective C (in sabotage).

What I am finding incredibly frustrating is on acquisition and domination while defending, having squad leaders who frago a bunker and sit on the turret for the double XP when other objectives need to be high lighted for the squad to defend or repair. They almost always know what they are doing, especially when other squad members are telling them and requesting help over their mics. It's fucking selfish and really ruins the experience for me.

TheFallen

Cagen said:
To be fair, in those two modes the squad leader doesn't have anything to do and there's not much team work needed besides a focused attack on objective C (in sabotage).

What I am finding incredibly frustrating is on acquisition and domination while defending, having squad leaders who frago a bunker and sit on the turret for the double XP when other objectives need to be high lighted for the squad to defend or repair. They almost always know what they are doing, especially when other squad members are telling them and requesting help over their mics. It's fucking selfish and really ruins the experience for me.
Yea, that can be annoying, but even with the way I handle leading a squad in Acquisition and Domination, I've had complaints from random players who hate that I change it so often and pick things all over the place. People seem to want to stay in one place and defend. But if gates or things are down and need to be repaired, you bet I'm gonna switch it to that. APCs are one of the top priorities for FRAGOs too in my opinion. I usually fill a support role in the larger maps to ensure I can keep up with FRAGOs and the abilities. Still do pretty damn good with k/d and xp. <3 anti-tank mines

shock33

Attacking A on the SVER map is an exercise in not throwing the controller through the window, B I find ok, but A is basically lining up to let them slaughter you.

Cagen said:

I just try my first defense acquisition and I have no idea what's going on. I don't know what to do, it's a bit overwhelming. I think I got the hang of it near the end. got to play a couple more times I guess.

question about the voice chat,

- how does it work? I think there's proximity chat that you can speak to anyone near you.
- then, can you speak among squad member? even if you're far apart, if you can, how?
- if I'm downed, can I still talk?
- what's with the in game voice I often hear yelling stuff like "Medic!", "Grenade! take cover", and other command. are those automatically voiced by player depending on their action? as in, if I'm killed, my character automatically yell "I need medic"?

andycapps

Wait, so there are people on GAF that are already at a level 60? Didn't the game come out not even a week ago? Holy crap.. I just got it last night and I think I'm on a 5, so I'm still learning the ropes.

Click is on GAF SVER? Raven is screwed.
I'm Raven GAF :(

As a SVER player I will admit that our map is stupidly easy to defend, almost to the point of being boring. Removing a few of the bunkers would help!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Anerythristic said:
Oh gosh...guys :lol :lol :lol , I can balance the SVER maps in five minutes.

On Domination simply take out all of the corridors (i.e. one of the burnoff towers has an approach where you are walking down a little valley rock on both sides pretty much single file, cmon :lol ) .

AB is really OK, so is GH. The CD/EF approach is horrible one of the bunkers can literally shoot within 30 yards of a spawn point, unforgivable design,it could actually be argued the bunker spawn camps.

The area where the 3 or so bunkers can lay down coverfire for themselves perfectly needs to be redone, it's a meat grinder, not with clutter though, tall walls or preferably trees.

Take out the jutted balconies that cover the entrance doors to the objectives, they already have open windows, the balconies are the unfair advantage.

Another thing, all the clutter, stairways and nooks and crannies favor a defender, they do nothing for an attacker, especially a timed attack.

You want organization? I would love Zipper to take a squad and walk from spawn to the main objectives for example. Walk as a team checking every hole, every small wall, check and clear all that damn clutter and garbage calling "CLEAR" after it's verified. I guarantee you it would take 5 minutes or more just to get to the objectives. the other boards just don't have the amount of garbage and tight spaces that SVER levels do.

Edit: As a matter of fact, Valor actually has a pved road leading to the objectives because it is not in a garbage dump, thatsimple, tactical facing, covering pattern, call 'em as you see 'em. 30 seconds down the road :D

I find it pretty funny that people complain about sver bunkers yet only ONCE (ONCE!!!) have I come across a person with the lock-on rocket launcher blowing up the turret when I'm in it. Once! Unreal. When attacking bunkers, I automatically put on my guided rocket setup and launch away, and there's usually someone else on my team with the same setup. I guess no one wants to spend the 7 points into heavy.

Is there anywhere explaining how the whole leadership thing works? Does only the highest ranking player get to use actual leadership controls and set up FRAGOS? Is there anyways to jump team or kick a leader if he sucks?

Keep getting in games with random high ranked dudes who seem to not give a fuck, don't set frago, and are just clueless. Had one guy who I kept yelling at to change the frago and he was like, "the wha?" and he was the leader.

commish said:
I find it pretty funny that people complain about sver bunkers yet only ONCE (ONCE!!!) have I come across a person with the lock-on rocket launcher blowing up the turret when I'm in it. Once! Unreal. When attacking bunkers, I automatically put on my guided rocket setup and launch away, and there's usually someone else on my team with the same setup. I guess no one wants to spend the 7 points into heavy.

Majority of players seem to not even take rocket launchers or even understand that you can blow up the turrets.

Is there anything you can do while inside the bunkers? Aside from using the turret.

Is it just a safe haven to regain health? Don't seem to be able to do anything while in there.

jamieson87 said:
Is there anything you can do while inside the bunkers? Aside from using the turret.

Is it just a safe haven to regain health? Don't seem to be able to do anything while in there.

HIDE!

Health and equipment restocking. Also, if you have some smarts, you can spawn out of the otherside of the enemy and flank them while they wait for you to come out the 'front' door.

TheFallen

BattleMonkey said:
Is there anywhere explaining how the whole leadership thing works? Does only the highest ranking player get to use actual leadership controls and set up FRAGOS? Is there anyways to jump team or kick a leader if he sucks?

Keep getting in games with random high ranked dudes who seem to not give a fuck, don't set frago, and are just clueless. Had one guy who I kept yelling at to change the frago and he was like, "the wha?" and he was the leader.
Only the Squad Leader can set FRAGOs. Feels like a Platoon Leader or OIC should be able to do FRAGOs, but alas they're nothing more than mobile buffs, additional motivators via voice chat, and a couple of (great) command abilities.

You can vote to kick a player if he's a crappy leader, with enough votes he'll be booted and the next random player in your squad with the option for Leadership will take over. I don't know if you can change squad mid-match though.

As for a guide:
http://forums.mag.com/mag/board/mes...hread.id=124392&view=by_date_ascending&page=2
Scroll down to the Leadership guide.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Question about XP:

I noticed there are some guys in each match that are getting 500+ XP while I'm normally around 100 or under. I've mostly been playing Sabotage (I think? The one where A+B have to be capped, then C). There are games where the other team never really gets close to taking any of our bases. These high XP guys normally don't have many kills. Still learning the game, but I can't think of what hey are doing to gain that much XP.

Darkness said:
Question about XP:

I noticed there are some guys in each match that are getting 500+ XP while I'm normally around 100 or under. I've mostly been playing Sabotage (I think? The one where A+B have to be capped, then C). There are games where the other team never really gets close to taking any of our bases. These high XP guys normally don't have many kills. Still learning the game, but I can't think of what hey are doing to gain that much XP.

Healing and ressing. You get loads as an Engineer too.

Kyoufu

Darkness said:
Question about XP:

I had a 500xp game today as a Squad Leader. I was just using Artillery and Mortar strikes on key objective spots, racking up kills with my gun at the same time.

TheFallen

Darkness said:
Question about XP:

They may be using their medical kits to resuscitate or heal other players. It is 10xp per resuscitate, 20 in the FRAGO. Healing xp is based off of how many ticks it does and how strong your healing ability is. If you don't have a medical kit, I suggest you spend the points on it and then also the Resuscitate ability (preferably the maxed version - which you don't need the regular one for!).

They may also be staying near the FRAGO for the xp bonuses. So consider that. Just don't cluster together at an objective hoping to gain more points. You'll just get yourself killed.

I got 914 XP a few days ago while defending B on the S.V.E.R. sabotage map. Almost 400 of those points were FRAGO bonus awarded for staying close to the objective. All I did was to block the stairs with claymores, resurrect my fallen comrades, and try to kill the ones who made it past the mines. The medical gun with the resuscitation skill unlocked is a great way to level up early on.

I've played a couple matches now but haven't leveled up to unlock the 256 battles yet. I'm still getting familiarized with things but I wanted to say how surprised I am...I actually ran out and bought a bluetooth headset fearing that this game, putting such a strong emphasis on team work and coordination, would have me outcasted or maybe even kicked if I played without a mic. 3/4s of people don't have mics. I'd go return the headset but I guess it'll come in handy eventually.

Darkness said:
Question about XP:

Healing and ressing. You get loads as an Engineer too.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Lince said:
FFS GUYS USE RPGS ON THE FUCKING BUNKERS TURRETS
I wish RPGs would take out guys who are repairing turrets though...Because there are times Im shooting the Turret with the Lockable RPG and never destroy it after 10+ shots :/

Top Bottom