• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

BattleMonkey said:
Same applies to all turrets, it still doesn't change the fact that SVER bunker/defensive layouts on various maps are clearly superior. SVER has many overlapping fields of fire, open killzones, and chokepoints that make things just very difficult to get past while the other factions defenses are often placed more haphazardly with much more open avenues of approach and lots of blocking terrain in the way.

The turrets for just SVER of course don't need to be nerfed, but the maps should be tweaked to make them more in line with the other factions defensive positions. Take out turret doesn't do much good when the overlapping fields of fire that the SVER defenses often have create defensive redundancies.

It's an obvious advantage people have been pointing out since beta here and on the official forums yet nothing was done.

to be fair, even reading SVER info page at the start when choosing factions it's said that SVER had better map layout for them, but the downside is they have old outdated weapon. clearly that's the concept behind it.

EekTheKat

Just a quick note, from someone coming into this game without doing much homework about it :

The VALOR heavy assault rifle (in game version of the SCAR-H) isn't very good, or just doesn't fit my playstyle. Not enough stopping power to justify the lower ammo capacity and inaccuracy.

In long distance shots I can hit a target once or twice, but most of the time they'll still be alive and able to move to cover. In short-medium range the ammo clip is too small, and it's far too innacurate to hit anything without resorting to short bursts.

I made the mistake of respeccing into it, now have to basically play for another 2000 points before I can respec out of it :lol

I'm hoping the SCAR-L variant is a better rifle (the in game description of it says it's an upgrade all around from the M4 pretty much).

EekTheKat said:
Just a quick note, from someone coming into this game without doing much homework about it :

The VALOR heavy assault rifle (in game version of the SCAR-H) isn't very good, or just doesn't fit my playstyle. Not enough stopping power to justify the lower ammo capacity and inaccuracy.

In long distance shots I can hit a target once or twice, but most of the time they'll still be alive and able to move to cover. In short-medium range the ammo clip is too small, and it's far too innacurate to hit anything without resorting to short bursts.

I made the mistake of respeccing into it, now have to basically play for another 2000 points before I can respec out of it :lol

I'm hoping the SCAR-L variant is a better rifle (the in game description of it says it's an upgrade all around from the M4 pretty much).

According to the Magtools page the SCAR-H is 4pts higher in Dmg, 30 rounds, 10pts less accurate, 10pts lower firing rate, 1pt more stable.
So it is alot stronger it looks, fires a little slower and is a bit less accurate, but it seems to be just as stable if not just a tad more stable to shoot while moving.

Nos_G

Looks like I'm pledging Raven. The odds seem about right. :lol

Stopped at Lvl5, still have to grind out the better sniper gear, but I should get that in no time.

Violater

Good games tonight guys, I got disconnected on that last one and was too tired to bother.
Sony/Zipper needs to sort this out.

Callibretto said:
to be fair, even reading SVER info page at the start when choosing factions it's said that SVER had better map layout for them, but the downside is they have old outdated weapon. clearly that's the concept behind it.

That's a cool idea, but it doesn't appear to be working. Before they nerf the maps, I think they should look into nerfing the weapons instead to keep with their concept.

Mr. B Natural said:
That's a cool idea, but it doesn't appear to be working. Before they nerf the maps, I think they should look into nerfing the weapons instead to keep with their concept.

Having nerfed weapons is an odd choice, sure in theory it could balance when SVER is defending, but when they're on the offense then they're just a bunch of dudes with gimped guns.

Anyway thanks to those I played with tonight, Click for inviting me after I declined Lince_Spain's invite by accident. And for Lince_Spain backing me up on the ridge on that last Sabotage map I played. Kinda boring up there until everything goes horribly wrong, nice to have backup when I get brutally cut down.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Are most people using the sony bt headset? I'm having a few issues with my current headset and was looking to buy a new one. Wanted to know how it was working with mag.

Also, I finally tried the heavy machine gun today. Um... wtf. It's like a whole new world. I was mowing people down so easily. I thought I was an assault rifle kinda guy, but the heavy machine gun is simply better all around. It's a night and day difference.

Anyway, for your heavy mg people, is it worth paying 5 points for the "upgraded" heavy mg? The normal one is pretty awesome already, but I didnt know if it was worth switching to the other one.

Of jumping in.

How's the community/overall vibe of the game thus far?
People playing as they should/communicating?
People excited?
Plenty busy?

Basically would like KZ2 (my still defacto console shooter) and potentially this, as my main shooters. I'm concerned though as the beta really put me off. Running for 20 seconds to just die and repeat was no fun. Not to mention the shooting model just felt off. It felt impossible to get kills consistantly, though this could have been due to the standard Assault Rifle which seems to be a bit weird balistically...

But yeah, I'm bailing on MW2. Too selfish and all about dat killstreak. Just not into that type of gameplay anymore...

PS: can you turn the shitty butt-rock off? :lol

commish

AgentOtaku said:
Of jumping in.

How's the community/overall vibe of the game thus far?
People playing as they should/communicating?
People excited?
Plenty busy?

Basically would like KZ2 (my still defacto console shooter) and potentially this, as my main shooters. I'm concerned though as the beta really put me off. Running for 20 seconds to just die and repeat was no fun. Not to mention the shooting model just felt off. It felt impossible to get kills consistantly, though this could have been due to the standard Assault Rifle which seems to be a bit weird balistically...

But yeah, I'm bailing on MW2. Too selfish and all about dat killstreak. Just not into that type of gameplay anymore...

PS: can you turn the shitty butt-rock off? :lol

Don't treat it like MW2 or KZ2. Just remember that it can take up to 30 seconds to respawn, and even then, you might have to run a bit to the objective. Value your life, stick with your team, and usually someone will rez you when you die. As for getting kills consistently, I'm finding it much easier to get consistent kills at the start than I do in other shooters. Sure, in KZ2, after a while I became a killing machine, but it took a while. For Mag, it just feels more natural to me from the start.

Kak.efes

I destroyed an APC with an entire squad in it earlier tonight. Guided artillery strikes at the outset of matches are highly encouraged.

commish said:
Don't treat it like MW2 or KZ2. Just remember that it can take up to 30 seconds to respawn, and even then, you might have to run a bit to the objective. Value your life, stick with your team, and usually someone will rez you when you die. As for getting kills consistently, I'm finding it much easier to get consistent kills at the start than I do in other shooters. Sure, in KZ2, after a while I became a killing machine, but it took a while. For Mag, it just feels more natural to me from the start.

Yeah, I didn't mean I'd treat it like KZ2 (and certainly not MW2). I'm pretty careful/methodical when I play and killing is not a primary reason I play shooters anymore. It's just when I played the beta, I could never seem to put the rounds where I wanted too.
To me, KZ2 is the platinum standard of shooting/hit response.

commish

AgentOtaku said:
Yeah, I didn't mean I'd treat it like KZ2 (and certainly not MW2). I'm pretty careful/methodical when I play and killing is not a primary reason I play shooters anymore. It's just when I played the beta, I could never seem to put the rounds where I wanted too.
To me, KZ2 is the platinum standard of shooting/hit response.

That's interesting because I feel like I'm placing my bullets better in this game than in most other console FPS. I didn't play beta, and I don't know how upgraded your weapons were when you played, but the upgrades help a ton.

KZ2 is the platinum standard for a lot of things for me. Woefully under-appreciated online play.

commish said:
That's interesting because I feel like I'm placing my bullets better in this game than in most other console FPS. I didn't play beta, and I don't know how upgraded your weapons were when you played, but the upgrades help a ton.

KZ2 is the platinum standard for a lot of things for me. Woefully under-appreciated online play.

That's awesome to hear. Yeah, I didn't get to upgrade my weapons much.

dorkimoe

commish said:
Are most people using the sony bt headset? I'm having a few issues with my current headset and was looking to buy a new one. Wanted to know how it was working with mag.

Also, I finally tried the heavy machine gun today. Um... wtf. It's like a whole new world. I was mowing people down so easily. I thought I was an assault rifle kinda guy, but the heavy machine gun is simply better all around. It's a night and day difference.

Anyway, for your heavy mg people, is it worth paying 5 points for the "upgraded" heavy mg? The normal one is pretty awesome already, but I didnt know if it was worth switching to the other one.

i just use the wired logitech one. BT ones are uncomfortable for me, and i hate having to sync and charge. My friend said his wasnt working with mag, so he bought the wired one

Click

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
That's awesome to hear. Yeah, I didn't get to upgrade my weapons much.

In order to play to your abilities, your weapon must be decked out.
If not, you're usually just target practice for the good players.

Especially now that everyone also has decked out weapons, skills / gear, and most importantly... 120 HP.

commish said:

I upgraded from an old jabber bluetooth headset after some complaints. Yesterday I went out and picked up the playstation one. Not only do I enjoy the features that are exclusive to the headset (on screen indicators for battery, if mic is muted etc) I liked that is has a nice big mute button since MAG has an open mic. I have already received several complements from the other Ravens.

Learn from my mistakes: Be sure to set the headset up using the auto sync (plug the usb --> mini usb cord into the back of the mic) instead of trying to set it up like a normal bluetooth in order for all the functions to work correctly.

Kyoufu

The annoying part about the Sony headset is it feels like a massive penis is defiling your ear. I hate it so much that I ordered a proper gaming headset.

icechai

SafetyFirst said:
I upgraded from an old jabber bluetooth headset after some complaints. Yesterday I went out and picked up the playstation one. Not only do I enjoy the features that are exclusive to the headset (on screen indicators for battery, if mic is muted etc) I liked that is has a nice big mute button since MAG has an open mic. I have already received several complements from the other Ravens.

Learn from my mistakes: Be sure to set the headset up using the auto sync (plug the usb --> mini usb cord into the back of the mic) instead of trying to set it up like a normal bluetooth in order for all the functions to work correctly.

yeah the official mic works great with MAG, but the mute button causes it to beep incessantly, very annoying.

icechai

Click said:
In order to play to your abilities, your weapon must be decked out.
If not, you're usually just target practice for the good players.

Especially now that everyone also has decked out weapons, skills / gear, and most importantly... 120 HP.

i would say decked out physical abilities 120hp is more important than weapons even. The LMG is still lethal even without scope/grip/steady aim. Also gas grenades is great for holding down areas. How much resistance do you get with the resist gas ability?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
SafetyFirst said:

I feel like Im reading some PR :lol

But ya Sony mic is only way to go atm. Do any other mics offer HQ mode yet?

I'm sure companies love me because if I like something I become an unofficial spokesperson. Speaking of which have you tried Reese's Puffs cereal? It's Reese's... for breakfast!

No this is the only headset that has the high quality mode.

jorma

is now taking requests
icechai said:
yeah the official mic works great with MAG, but the mute button causes it to beep incessantly, very annoying.

it is annoying! i spent most of last week - i was home sick - with the mute button on, since i had a pretty bad cough. Eventually i just filtered that beep from my consiousness though.

Kowak

Banned
shit, i just played MAG from 11.10pn to 8.35am this is one of the most addictive games i have ever played, would still be on it if i wasnt the only raven gaf member on.

great games tonight, especially the total destruction of valor on our sabotage map and the sver acquisition driving round blowing things up strategy.

JWong

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
How's so?

I ask because I really dug the BFBC2 beta...
It's just the fact that there's plenty more cover. I'm not being shot at every angle because I know which places I'm exposed. I know I'm at fault for not checking my angles if I die, but in BFBC2, I die no matter what.

I get really pissed off every time I die in BFBC2.

There's also the respawn indicator. I am in control of when I will respawn so I can give the chance for people to revive me.

Billen

Banned
In the Raven bases the angles you can shot from is every fucking angle there possibly is, and some more. :D

I love attacking Valor and S.V.E.R, the art direction and levels they have makes it way more fun to play

Wow. I love this game, it has everything i look for, tactics, scale, 'sensibleness' and no idiots screaming down their mics. Everything cod isn't. ;)

Jamesearlcash said:
Wow. I love this game, it has everything i look for, tactics, scale, 'sensibleness' and no idiots screaming down their mics. Everything cod isn't. ;)

Don't get me started on playing MW2 on Xbox Live with randoms. I've become very fast with the manual muting for the sake of my own sanity.

jorma

is now taking requests
So apparantly, MAG debuted at #4 in the UK, pretty awesome.

I figure the drop off rate will be pretty high, since it's a game that does require some effort to get into, but it still bodes fairly well in regards to a lasting community.

shock33

I've gone medic/lmg currently, but what's the assault rifle like? I was Valor in beta and wondered whether the different models are worth it in Raven...

Oh, and one of the few things I hate about the Raven sabotage map is being sniped from all over the map when you're defending A/B. Nothing worse than running round to what you think is a safe side to heal and getting popped in the back of the head!

jorma said:
So apparantly, MAG debuted at #4 in the UK, pretty awesome.

I figure the drop off rate will be pretty high, since it's a game that does require some effort to get into, but it still bodes fairly well in regards to a lasting community.

I think due to word of mouth sales will be steady, zipper would hate me for saying this; but i don't want it to be massive, i just want a good solid community, not like another game we know.

Wes

venison crêpe
Kowak said:
shit, i just played MAG from 11.10pn to 8.35am this is one of the most addictive games i have ever played, would still be on it if i wasnt the only raven gaf member on.

great games tonight, especially the total destruction of valor on our sabotage map and the sver acquisition driving round blowing things up strategy.

This game is so much fun with RavenGAF.

That Sabo attack game we had on SVER, where we tested out different tactics, was really great. Everyone pitching in with ideas and in the end it paid off, we won that one! In fact right at the end we were still discussing how was the best way to hold them off as C exploded :lol

Jamesearlcash said:
I think due to word of mouth sales will be steady, zipper would hate me for saying this; but i don't want it to be massive, i just want a good solid community, not like another game we know.

if you fear massive community will make the teamwork aspect a mess, I think the game does a fine job forcing player to play the game as it was intended. the combination of large map and long respawn time will discourage people to die alone without backup/medic. so they will learn to start stay with their squads. and since the medic spray give so much xp, there will always eager players to heal downed players. without them realizing, they will start playing as a group even without using actual voice chat communication.

of course that's only on the grunts level. I don't know how the squad leader play to comment on that. I'm just assuming they've already learn how to play the game by the time they become squad leader.

Callibretto said:
of course that's only on the grunts level. I don't know how the squad leader play to comment on that. I'm just assuming they've already learn how to play the game by the time they become squad leader.
Being a good squad leader takes some time and map knowledge. You want to hit select to check the strategic situation (are there APC's headed your way?, did the enemy repair bunkers behind you?, etc). You also have to get used to your mortar/air attacks. A bad squad leader can make attacking on acquisition/domination a pain: if you aren't giving your squad new objectives (on acquisition especially), or you're assigning them bad ones (attack a middle bunker), you can end up spread out all over one side of the map.

TelemachusD said:
Being a good squad leader takes some time and map knowledge. You want to hit select to check the strategic situation (are there APC's headed your way?, did the enemy repair bunkers behind you?, etc). You also have to get used to your mortar/air attacks. A bad squad leader can make attacking on acquisition/domination a pain: if you aren't giving your squad new objectives (on acquisition especially), or you're assigning them bad ones (attack a middle bunker), you can end up spread out all over one side of the map.

I was imagining that at leader level, this game is more like rts but with real player for their grunts. that sounds pretty cool.

uraldix

dorkimoe said:
killed 38 people and didnt get the kill 35 ribbon :(

I had the same thing... I should have had the 35 kills ribbon, 15 in a row ribbon, 15 rezzes and 250 healing in a dom match last night. It showed them after the match but they do not show on my profile. I am not good enough to get many ribbons, I wish they would show up when I get them!:D

Click

Banned
TelemachusD said:
Send Click or maybe J-Rzez (PSN:Johnny_Rzeznik) a PSN message.

No, don't send me a PSN message.
Send me a GAF PM.

I am no longer inviting people PSN messaging me.
Can't tell if they're GAF or not.

Mesijs

TheFallen said:
They may be using their medical kits to resuscitate or heal other players. It is 10xp per resuscitate, 20 in the FRAGO. Healing xp is based off of how many ticks it does and how strong your healing ability is. If you don't have a medical kit, I suggest you spend the points on it and then also the Resuscitate ability (preferably the maxed version - which you don't need the regular one for!).

They may also be staying near the FRAGO for the xp bonuses. So consider that. Just don't cluster together at an objective hoping to gain more points. You'll just get yourself killed.
do you use the same gun to heal yourself and others?what button?

Mesijs said:
do you use the same gun to heal yourself and others?what button?
You can only heal yourself with the initial First Aid Kit, you need to spend 2 skill points to unlock the Medical Kit, THEN you need to equip it on your loadouts. In battle use L2 to cycle through your gear, use R1 to heal, if no one is in front of you needing healing, you'll heal yourself.

Lince

Banned
Violater said:
Good games tonight guys, I got disconnected on that last one and was too tired to bother.
Sony/Zipper needs to sort this out.

yeah good games, the hunt for the APC was hilarious, you guys were rushing to the far end of the bridge to plant the anti-tank mines, crazy stuff :lol

Top Bottom