• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Corran Horn said:
I wish RPGs would take out guys who are repairing turrets though...Because there are times Im shooting the Turret with the Lockable RPG and never destroy it after 10+ shots :/

Yeah, I find that odd as an Engineer that I can lay prone and spam repair while a turret gets attacked and not take any flak. Its like free XP!

I've taken out engineers repairing turrets while shooting at the turret itself several times, it depends on where your rocket lands and if they get caught in the small blast. It's pretty random though.

btw. they could just lower the hp of the SVER turrets to balance the maps.

Though you might still won't win with many randoms in your team as they won't use the RPG for the turrets. Imo not even the need for guided rockets as you can quite easily hit turrets even far away with the iron sight before they can target you.

not killing engineers is mostly due to the small splash damage of the rockets (which is GOOD because otherwise people would just use it for noob-tubing), but maybe they could let the turrets explode when they are destroyed, killing everyone on the roof.
By that, destroying a turret would give you a bit longer timeframe for your squads to come closer.

Rolling with a GAF-group at the moment, and I have to say that I'm really starting to love the game. Awesome, relentless action. :) Can't see myself playing with randoms anymore, unless there's nobody from GAF online and I absolutely have to. So much more fun with a good, intelligent group.

jamieson87 said:
My kill/death stats both show as 0 in game,

Anyone else had this?

Yeah, I have that as well. I think it's for the better - my K/D sucks at the moment. x)

Got kicked out of PSN just now, darn. Sorry group - Bluie, Older_Man et al. I'll probably go play Mass Effect 2 for a sec now, but I'll definetely catch you all later. It was fun! :)

( Btw. I'm Artieficial if anybody is wondering )

Lé Blade Runner said:
Yeah, I have that as well. I think it's for the better - my K/D sucks at the moment. x)

Got kicked out of PSN just now, darn. Sorry group - Bluie, Older_Man et al. I'll probably go play Mass Effect 2 for a sec now, but I'll definetely catch you all later. It was fun! :)

( Btw. I'm Artieficial if anybody is wondering )
Good playing with you guys. Was a lot of fun. We should have the contract for aquisition by tonight.

jorma

is now taking requests
KoruptData said:
Good playing with you guys. Was a lot of fun. We should have the contract for aquisition by tonight.

sure hope so! RavenGAF had a really good run today, i figure we won about 70% of the games i played - most of them aquisition. And yeah, normally it's the other way around.

good times!

Click

Banned
You guys do realize that turrets can only take roughly 4 CONSECUTIVE RPG shots, right?

That's why every squad needs at least 2 people who has the lock-on RPG loadout for at least the start of attack games. If you have 2 people SPREAD OUT, shooting lock-on RPGs at the same turret, it won't last long, even with a mechanic fixing it. The thing is, your team has to be ready to move in as soon as the turret goes down. Otherwise, all that work would be for naught because a good squad will eventually fix their turret.

A turret would be indestructible though, if it's occupied by a platoon leader with a mechanic fixing it constantly, lol. In fact, the platoon leader's passive ability that fixes any bunker / vehicle he's in is extremely powerful. I've sat in a turret being hit by multiple rockets and survived plenty of times. Only time I die as a platoon leader in a turret is when 2 or more people are bombarding me with RPGs consecutively.

jorma

is now taking requests
Lé Blade Runner said:

yeah mine as well. another perk with a shitty KDR is that dying doesn't really bother you that much. Wich is pretty good since i die a lot. :p

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Click said:
You guys do realize that turrets can only take roughly 4 CONSECUTIVE RPG shots, right?

That's why every squad needs at least 2 people who has the lock-on RPG loadout for at least the start of attack games. If you have 2 people SPREAD OUT, shooting lock-on RPGs at the same turret, it won't last long, even with a mechanic fixing it. The thing is, your team has to be ready to move in as soon as the turret goes down. Otherwise, all that work would be for naught because a good squad will eventually fix their turret.

A turret would be indestructible though, if it's occupied by a platoon leader with a mechanic fixing it constantly, lol. In fact, the platoon leader's passive ability that fixes any bunker / vehicle he's in is extremely powerful. I've sat in a turret being hit by multiple rockets and survived plenty of times. Only time I die as a platoon leader in a turret is when 2 or more people are bombarding me with RPGs consecutively.
I find that 3 RPG shots then shooting it with machine gun for like 10-20 rounds normally will destroy one if your not stationed near an ammo dump and only RPG'er.
Everyone should have an RPG loadout though...as well as a smoke grenade. Dont know how many times Im doing something like Sabotage and only person throwing smokes to give cover to attack the bunkers

shock33

Good games this afternoon....

Karma's a bitch though - "Why would anyone take the knife stuff" says I, switfly followed by my be being knifed, rezzed, knifed again, then left crying on the ground....

Jenks

Banned
Ive only just started playing is worth getting the SEVR AG-94 over the starting Assualt rifle or should i just start getting attachments only have the reflex scope thus far.

Kowak

Banned
shock33 said:
Good games this afternoon....

Karma's a bitch though - "Why would anyone take the knife stuff" says I, switfly followed by my be being knifed, rezzed, knifed again, then left crying on the ground....

knife speed and extended reach is defo worth it.

Nos_G

Any space in any of the clans for a n00b sniper?

PSN: Nos_G EST

Sorry I know there is a MAG Clan thread, but this topic is more active. :p

New review:

http://www.digitalchumps.com/game-reviews/35-ps3/4492-mag.html

MAG is an impressive technical feat wrapped around a solid multiplayer FPS title. For veterans of the genre and newcomers alike, MAG offers a lot of reason to pick up and play for hours at a time. With a growing community and further expansions into the Shadow War on the way, MAG has a great deal of momentum and a strong chance to be around for a long time to come.

Currently @78 meta.

Wes

venison crêpe
Come to Raven if you fancy fighting against all the odds!

Although saying that we're doing very well at Acquistion today.

Billen

Banned
Fighting for Raven is really fun in this game, especially with RavenGAF.

Although I have to say that whoever thought up the "cool" design for the Raven levels should be forced to play as defense there over and over again.

Exit: Oh, and how is it possible for strafin runs to be ruin every single second?

shock33

Seems wierd, the collectors edition in the UK comes with a single code that unlocks all of them (or at least the one I got from Zavvi did).

So I'm out of town for a week.. Guess RavenGAF will all be far far ahead of me by the time I get back... Are we doing better against SVER now that we are leveled up more?

I got this game last night and I've gotten to lvl 8 in Valor. Are the other PMCs filled with incompetent people? I think I've been on the winning side once.

Click said:

Same applies to all turrets, it still doesn't change the fact that SVER bunker/defensive layouts on various maps are clearly superior. SVER has many overlapping fields of fire, open killzones, and chokepoints that make things just very difficult to get past while the other factions defenses are often placed more haphazardly with much more open avenues of approach and lots of blocking terrain in the way.

The turrets for just SVER of course don't need to be nerfed, but the maps should be tweaked to make them more in line with the other factions defensive positions. Take out turret doesn't do much good when the overlapping fields of fire that the SVER defenses often have create defensive redundancies.

It's an obvious advantage people have been pointing out since beta here and on the official forums yet nothing was done.

Corran Horn

shock33 said:
Seems wierd, the collectors edition in the UK comes with a single code that unlocks all of them (or at least the one I got from Zavvi did).
US versions were split up from store to store

Wes

venison crêpe
polyh3dron said:
So I'm out of town for a week.. Guess RavenGAF will all be far far ahead of me by the time I get back... Are we doing better against SVER now that we are leveled up more?

Only on Acquisition.

Corran Horn

dollartaco said:
I got this game last night and I've gotten to lvl 8 in Valor. Are the other PMCs filled with incompetent people? I think I've been on the winning side once.
Playing with randoms can be bad at times. Get a clan and stick with them.
Hopefully in a week or so more people will be better. Countless times in sabotage defending Raven people spread out so far that opposing team just pushing in easily.

gunther

Reading the thread makes me want quit my vacations and go back home to play MAG :lol. The sad thing is that I bought the game the day before leaving home. Anyway Ill be back 15 Feb in order ti support RAVEN.

Lince

Banned
good games SVER GAF, the first match was a close call and we won almost on pure luck but that last Domination (defending) game was a walk in the park :lol

I think Ive come to conclusion that the SVER second Tier LMG and 3rd Tier Assualt Rifle are a complete waste.

Look at the stats..

PSK.............................RPK
Acc. 13........................Acc. 23
Stability 75..................Stability 88
Rate 73.......................Rate 78
Dmg. 50......................Dmg. 49

Thats 1 pt of Dmg, is that worth it for the massive hits in Acc, Stab, Rate??

Also look at the Assault Rifle (Not the start up AR for SVER, the 94 vs. the 103

AG94..........................AK-103
Acc. 38.......................Acc. 28
Stability 89..................Stability 85
Rate 78.......................Rate 78
Dmg. 49......................Dmg. 50

Again, you lose more points in Acc. and Stability for just one Dmg point??

When you look at Valors End game LMG or Third tier Assualt Rifle they all jump 4pts in Dmg, yet suffer an almost equal Acc./Stability loss as the SVER weapons do.

Im saving myself 10pts and respecing out of the 103 and PSK!

Xater

I'm kinda glad I ignored the las AR for SVER. The second one with scope, grip and silencer is amazing. The thing is very accurate, even if you don't use bursts. I doubt the upgrade to the last one would be benificial.

Pkm said:
I think Ive come to conclusion that the SVER second Tier LMG and 3rd Tier Assualt Rifle are a complete waste.

Look at the stats..

Also look at the Assault Rifle (Not the start up AR for SVER, the 94 vs. the 103

AG94..........................AK-103
Acc. 38.......................Acc. 28
Stability 89..................Stability 85
Rate 78.......................Rate 78
Dmg. 49......................Dmg. 50

Again, you lose more points in Acc. and Stability for just one Dmg point??

When you look at Valors End game LMG or Third tier Assualt Rifle they all jump 4pts in Dmg, yet suffer an almost equal Acc./Stability loss as the SVER weapons do.

Im saving myself 10pts and respecing out of the 103 and PSK!

yeah, I also mentioned this a few days back. Though I'm not sure if this is maybe a mistake from the unofficial site or the beta data.
Would be ridiculous as they also use up more of your loadout credits :lol

btw I noticed the website now also has the loadout calculator ready:
http://www.maggametools.com/loadouts
Though it's not finished yet I guess as you can e.g. select a sniper rifle with grenade launcher + some of the data is wrong (same for the skill tree), e.g. the bipod for the final sniper rifle is free.

Corran Horn said:
Also, does anyone know if Helmets/headgear provide any type of extra protection or just show?
as they don't cost credits I say they are only cosmetic.

TheFreshPrince

For someone who loves ModernWarfare2....will this game capture my interest?

Everything I've heard seems promising, but I don't have a large PSN friends list...is MAG worth it, or should I just stick with MW2? What does MAG do better/worse than COD?

Corran Horn

TheFreshPrince said:

Everything I've heard seems promising, but I don't have a large PSN friends list...is MAG worth it, or should I just stick with MW2? What does MAG do better/worse than COD?
I probably wouldn't play MAG if I wasn't in the GAF clan, so unless you plan on joining a clan I wouldn't get because playing with randoms can get boring.

J-Rzez

Pkm said:

Look at the stats..

Thats 1 pt of Dmg, is that worth it for the massive hits in Acc, Stab, Rate??!

Well, the one thing that has helped out on a few occassions for me with the RPK is that it has 25 more rounds in the box. For some reason though, I doubt it only does 1 more pt of damage, as it does drop people noticeably faster at times.

The AR's on the other hand, I have to agree with. I forget since I didn't use it in a long time, but doesn't it only have 20rds in a mag as well? I maybe wrong, but I do know the damage doesn't make up for wasting the points on it.

TheFreshPrince said:

Honestly, I usually do answer this, but I can't get myself to type this out yet again. Myself and others have answered this numerous times throughout this very thread. I'll sum it up. Do you not like nor need Auto-aim? Do you like teamwork? Do you like real objectives? Do you like depth? If so, MAG is superior.

TheFreshPrince said:

The main thing that MAG does better than MW2 is promote teamwork.

icechai

TheFreshPrince said:

teamwork, dynamic objectives, more people

Azerach

Banned
Pkm said:

The 3rd tier assault rifle takes a person down with 2 shots to the chest. The tier 2 takes a person down to 2 hp with 2 shots, so you need one more shot. It's worth it IMHO

I respec'd to machine guns last night. The medium machine gun + bipod is fucking awesome lol. I'm really disappointed in the improved rpg though. Takes forever to kill anything with it and costs 1000c to carry... Once I can respec again I'm ditching that shit.

Quick question for you guys...

Weapons, are you/will you specialize in 2-3 types? Or are you saving the points for other stuff?

Like myself Ive finished the LMG line and wonder if I should upgrade the AR line so I have 2 weapons (Never gonna touch sniper)

So are you putting your points in one weapon line and using the rest in other skills?

TheFreshPrince said:

Join the GAF-clan and it's definetely worth it. :)

Playing with randoms is much worse than in MW2, though, as you can't really solo in this game at all.

mr stroke

Corran Horn said:
I probably wouldn't play MAG if I wasn't in the GAF clan, so unless you plan on joining a clan I wouldn't get because playing with randoms can get boring.

+1

every time I play this with a random silent no mic team it gets boring fast. (GAF squads are a blast though)

Corran Horn

Pkm said:
Quick question for you guys...

Weapons, are you/will you specialize in 2-3 types? Or are you saving the points for other stuff?

Like myself Ive finished the LMG line and wonder if I should upgrade the AR line so I have 2 weapons (Never gonna touch sniper)

So are you putting your points in one weapon line and using the rest in other skills?

Nah, not unless they give us more loadouts. I have my 5 loadouts filled with different LMG styles and still want more. Planning to do LMG tree than supporting skills/abilities.

TheFreshPrince said:

They're completely different, but both excel in what they're trying to do. MW2 has better graphics, a super satisfying & addictive system of weapon / gear / challenge unlocks, and rewards you for damn near everything. I love it, it's perfect for short bursts of action, and even on a team, you're a powerful one man army.

MAG has worse graphics, harder earned points, fewer weapon & gear unlocks, much longer matches, and a steep learning curve. Where the fun of MW2 is soloing it & powering yourself up, the fun of MAG is working as a team to complete an objective. It's chaotic at first, but once you've been around the maps and the game types a bit, or once you get in with a good squad or leader, you'll learn the ropes. MAG's fun isn't really in your k/d ratio or what you did lone wolfing it, since rarely will that translate to victory. The fun of MAG is winning a long protracted fight as a team, feeling like you contributed to something bigger. The fun in MAG is beating SVER. And man, is it satisfying.

I've got zero PSN friends (all my other online exploits are on LIVE) and I've had a blast playing with GAF Valor Kings.

SVER is for the insecure, RAVEN is for masochists. VALOR is the future.

Join us.

Top Bottom