• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Rolf NB

So does this game have the approval of our old GAFe Killzone 2 self-help group?
I'm still in the middle of redecorating/moving, so not much gaming for me atm. Completely missed the beta window, too, because those fucking walls needed to be painted. I can already see the silver lining though.

Lince

Banned
bcn-ron said:
I'm still in the middle of redecorating/moving, so not much gaming for me atm. Completely missed the beta window, too, because those fucking walls needed to be painted. I can already see the silver lining though.

self-help group? :lol oh how I miss those GAFe chatroom nights!! yeah, so far MAG has the approval of GAFe KZ2 Kings Rick, Cagen, FFO, Foxgirl, Dan... and I already said it's a great and addicting game but with some lag/frame rate issues on Domination (think KZ2 32p). My favorite mode is Acquisition, with 128 players and running smooth every time.

dazed808

bcn-ron said:
Yep we've got a good core from GAFe playing each night though still waiting for Live, Dave,Viper and a few of the others to show and Raist is still MIA - do you still have a PS3 Dr??

Lince said:
yeah good games, the hunt for the APC was hilarious, you guys were rushing to the far end of the bridge to plant the anti-tank mines, crazy stuff :lol

Haha yeah that was hilarious. Well it was until they got in behind us and nearly fucked us over in the dying minutes!
As many others have said, this game is so addictive. I was only planning to play an hour or so last night and ended up rubbing my aching eyes at 4.30am to try and sneak another round in before they gave up on me.

Oh and Lince sorry if you are trying to pass on instructions etc during the game but I just can't hear your voice clear enough. It's strange as I can hear everyone else no problem.

Lince

Banned
dazed808 said:
Oh and Lince sorry if you are trying to pass on instructions etc during the game but I just can't hear your voice clear enough. It's strange as I can hear everyone else no problem.

I know... I've had a sore throat for most of the weekend that developed into some kind of voice - lose but still I wanted to use the mic, I'm feeling better today though, sorry!

PuMa

Kyoufu said:
The annoying part about the Sony headset is it feels like a massive penis is defiling your ear. I hate it so much that I ordered a proper gaming headset.

Lol, how the hell do you know what that feels like?

Violater

Lince said:
yeah good games, the hunt for the APC was hilarious, you guys were rushing to the far end of the bridge to plant the anti-tank mines, crazy stuff :lol

Hahaha had to get my anti tank mine ahead of you guys, blue dots everywhere.
One time we got shot up running back across the bridge :lol

krioto

After reading this thread, I've just bought it on amazon - should arrive tomorrow.

How do I sign up for Raven GAF (I'm in UK) - thanks

I have to admit, I was hating on this game. Well, not hating, but pretty down on it. I didn't have a great experience with the closed beta. But then again, I really didn't know wtf I was doing at the time.

It was actually GiantBomb's "thing" videos which convinced me to go out and get MAG. And I'm glad I did. Now that I've gotten more comfortable with how things work, the game has really opened up. There are some bad matches where a lot of people are lone-wolfing it, but overall, it's been a blast.

Liberty4all

Banned
Great games last night RavenGAF!~!

Still not sure what the heck happened to Valor on that one Sabatoge map we were defending. It was most definately a slaughter though :D

One problem I forsee in the future ... global OIC chat. While some OIC's are great, eventually everyone can get there. We had one OIC in a game last night that just wouldn't shut up. His voice comms were not helpful and consisted of screaming non stop into the mic along wth unhelpful advice and scatterings of bitchings.

Any way to mute?

Violater

Bamelin said:

Still not sure what the heck happened to Valor on that one Sabatoge map we were defending. It was most definately a slaughter though :D

One problem I forsee in the future ... global OIC chat. While some OIC's are great, eventually everyone can get there. We had one OIC in a game last night that just wouldn't shut up. His voice comms were not helpful and consisted of screaming non stop into the mic along wth unhelpful advice and scatterings of bitchings.

Any way to mute?

I just tell them to STFU and refresh my bombs :lol

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
DidntKnowJack said:
I have to admit, I was hating on this game. Well, not hating, but pretty down on it. I didn't have a great experience with the closed beta. But then again, I really didn't know wtf I was doing at the time.

It was actually GiantBomb's "thing" videos which convinced me to go out and get MAG. And I'm glad I did. Now that I've gotten more comfortable with how things work, the game has really opened up. There are some bad matches where a lot of people are lone-wolfing it, but overall, it's been a blast.
Pretty much my exact experience as well. Quite an awesome game.

Billen

Banned
DidntKnowJack said:

What video is that for those of us that can't check right now and want to forward it to friends?

jorma

is now taking requests
Bamelin said:

Probably not the same game, but i had a Sab game yesterday where valor did not even get past the outer walls. They got some sniper kills but on the whole it was pretty brutal.

Owensboro

Alright, reading this thread and everyone's impressions is making me want to go out and buy this game ASAP. It just reads like everyone is having a great time (much like the Demon's Souls thread) which is strange. It's usually the people that hate the game that are the most vocal. I'm hoping this can help scratch the itch I've been having for Teamfortress 2's more team-focused FPS style. I always loved being a medic in that game.

Quick question though: Once you join a clan is there an in-game clan list of who's playing and a "quick-join" button for their game? I'm kind of OCD and like to keep my PSN friends list small-ish with people I know IRL. I found this has made it bad for playing games like Uncharted 2 MP and Borderlands mostly because I never knew anyone else playing (and playing with randoms Suuuuuuucks). Killzone 2 helped with it's clan-list but I just never got into the game.

Also: How does re-speccing work? Do you have to spend in game currency to re spec? Can you do it on the fly in the game (during a respawn screen or something)?

Fixed1979

Owensboro said:
Quick question though: Once you join a clan is there an in-game clan list of who's playing and a "quick-join" button for their game?

There's a list for friends and for clan. Quick Join is available for both. Although usually there will be a clan group available to join.

Owensboro said:
Also: How does re-speccing work? Do you have to spend in game currency to re spec? Can you do it on the fly in the game (during a respawn screen or something)?

You gain respec points as you play, you spend the points on your re-spec. The cost of each re-spec increases as you go (3000, 5000, 10000). Not sure if it's capped.

Yea, you can view the entire clan and hit a bit join button to join the game. Remember, though, that you may not be placed on the same squad if it's full.

I have still been on the winning side only once. I wish I could say it was my fault, but I'm healing a lot and killing a lot. I feel like I need to get to 15 ASAP so I can lead a squad.

jorma

is now taking requests
Owensboro said:
Alright, reading this thread and everyone's impressions is making me want to go out and buy this game ASAP. It just reads like everyone is having a great time (much like the Demon's Souls thread) which is strange. It's usually the people that hate the game that are the most vocal. I'm hoping this can help scratch the itch I've been having for Teamfortress 2's more team-focused FPS style. I always loved being a medic in that game.

Quick question though: Once you join a clan is there an in-game clan list of who's playing and a "quick-join" button for their game? I'm kind of OCD and like to keep my PSN friends list small-ish with people I know IRL. I found this has made it bad for playing games like Uncharted 2 MP and Borderlands mostly because I never knew anyone else playing (and playing with randoms Suuuuuuucks). Killzone 2 helped with it's clan-list but I just never got into the game.

Yes, but you are in no way guaranteed to end up in that squad since it might be full. But to answer your question; There is no need for a full friendslist to get the full MAG experience.

icechai

dollartaco said:
Yea, you can view the entire clan and hit a bit join button to join the game. Remember, though, that you may not be placed on the same squad if it's full.

I have still been on the winning side only once. I wish I could say it was my fault, but I'm healing a lot and killing a lot. I feel like I need to get to 15 ASAP so I can lead a squad.

it seems like most SVER squads know what they're doing now, they really cuss out squad leaders who don't do anything with FRAGOs :) Have no idea what Raven & Valor ppl are like, but it'll get better as ppl unlock skills that help a lot (heal+, tank mines, gas grenades, guided rockets)

ibu

I have just picked this up today, I am doing all the updates now.

Heading over to the PMC thread now, which is the best one for me to join?

uraldix

Owensboro said:

You can respec after you earn a certain of XP but you do not actually have to spend any. The XP requirement goes up each time you respec to prevent people from respeccing every other match.

Count me in as someone who has also done a complete 180 after a hohum experience with the Beta.
Just got to Lv.3 and am having a great time. Basically it's the total opposite to something like MW2 ...I love it!

Lince

Banned
ibu said:
I have just picked this up today, I am doing all the updates now.

Heading over to the PMC thread now, which is the best one for me to join?

SVER, what's your PSN id? I'll send you an invite to the clan right now.

ibu

Lince said:

ibu666

I am online now... but will be about 20 mins before i begin the game fully.

Cheers

Lince

Banned
ibu said:
ibu666

I am online now... but will be about 20 mins before i begin the game fully.

Cheers

ok give me one minute, then check the community tab and accept the invitation. Welcome and enjoy!

Wes

venison crêpe
Lince said:

Nice to list the alternatives!

RavenGAF, and I'm sure ValorGAF too, will glady accept anyone who wants the challenge of not playing on easy mode SVER.

Speaking of which I got knifed by someone with a GAF tag earlier on in a Raven SABO defence game. Their name was "Wood" something....

Lan_97

Question. Is it possible to choose Improved Healing and go straight to Improved Resuscitation (without first choosing Resuscitation)?

ibu

Lince said:
ok give me one minute, then check the community tab and accept the invitation. Welcome and enjoy!

Can't wait to get into it and play some more after the beta experience. Especially before I go off (hopefully in the next couple of months) and begin training for the real thing (Royal Marine).

Thank you very much good sir, Shall see you online shortly!

Over and out.

shock33

Lan_97 said:
Question. Is it possible to choose Improved Healing and go straight to Improved Resuscitation (without first choosing Resuscitation)?

Yes, and recommended if you respec later with the points and want the medic abilities

Cagen

Lince said:
:lol

Dollartaco, what is your PSN ID? I tried to invite you to the clan this morning but it said "player not found".

Violater, the best part about playing "anti-tank mine chicken" with you last night was when another squad leader dropped bombs at the end of the bridge blowing up the mines we were running through to get back to our side :lol.

peetfeet

I'm loving the game and am finally getting to grips with the maps (sabotage at least), that is until I join my fellow clan mates, the SVER GAFers, in a round of domination and don't have a clue where I'm going (or where I've been for that matter), queue major confusion trying to work out which side the ememy are coming from! I hope you guys don't take my ineptitude to heart, just yell 'get the f*** over here Private!' and i'll do my best. See you guys in an hour or so after i finish work.

Lince

Banned
just fired up the game to send a couple of clan invites and as I was logging on the SVER network it unlocked the "dropping like flies" trophy, wtf?

Wes said:

RavenGAF, and I'm sure ValorGAF too, will glady accept anyone who wants the challenge of not playing on easy mode SVER.

well recruit hunting is like APC hunting ! :lol

Wes said:
Speaking of which I got knifed by someone with a GAF tag earlier on in a Raven SABO defence game. Their name was "Wood" something....

Woodworm, you just tasted SVER awesomeness, enjoy your bleeding out.

Xater

AgentOtaku said:
Count me in as someone who has also done a complete 180 after a hohum experience with the Beta.
Just got to Lv.3 and am having a great time. Basically it's the total opposite to something like MW2 ...I love it!

Yep that's wha tmy story was with this title. :lol

Now I'm glad my das bought the title. ;)

PuMa

Question - which attachment do most people prefer, foregrip or bipod? I've been rockin the battle rifle with foregrip lately and was wondering if the bipod offered any advantages. What are the main differences?

Cagen

Wes said:

Woodworm? He's a member of SVER GAF who joins in on GAF squads a lot, I invited him from my friends list. I'm not actually sure who he is, I assume GAF member when I can't remember, it's a curse of having a full friends list.

PuMa said:
Question - which attachment do most people prefer, foregrip or bipod? I've been rockin the battle rifle with foregrip lately and was wondering if the bipod offered any advantages. What are the main differences?

for my LMG, i prefer the foregrip, since it lets me move and shoot with a stable platform. The bipod i found was fairly limiting because you need to go prone and deploy it to get any benefit.

Xater

PuMa said:

AR + foregrip for me. I like to move.

Razardica

Neo Member
bipod only works when prone

so, I just have it on one loadout, for when we're defending and actually encountering a challenge

usually, for SVER GAF, 'defending' is being on offense in the other direction :d

Xater

Razardica said:
bipod only works when prone

so, I just have it on one loadout, for when we're defending and actually encountering a challenge

usually, for SVER GAF, 'defending' is being on offense in the other direction :d

WE ARE BRINGING THE FIGHT TO THEM!

Lince

Banned
PuMa said:

Improved accuracy on the move (foregrip) versus accuracy laying prone (bipod), I prefer running around with the foregrip but I've seen plenty of non-snipers guys laying prone in certain spots with their LMGs and bipods picking peasants from a distance.

PuMa

Sounds like I'll stick with the foregrip, as I don't lay prone much at all. I didn't want to waste points trying out the bipod. Thanks for the feedback.

Lince

Banned
also I believe the scavenger-weapon trick does indeed fully replenish your "noob tubes" load (grenade launcher attachment of ARs)... this needs to be addressed IMO.

PuMa

Lince said:
also I believe the scavenger-weapon trick does indeed fully replenish your "noob tubes" load (grenade launcher attachment of ARs)... this needs to be addressed IMO.

I haven't run into too many noob tubers yet thankfully. Hopefully it doesn't get bad. I wasn't even going to waste points on spec'ing into it.

i have a question regarding weapons.

does anyone here actually like the t2/t3 assault rifles? i switched out from that and into the LMG tree since i found i just wasn't hitting hard enough.

is the t3 LMG worth it over the t1 LMG?

also, has anyone tried the 4x optical scope, foregrip and t1 marksman rifle? is that any good?

shock33

I like the T3 raven LMG, also I don't bother with the upgraded sight, didn't think it made any difference to be honest and let me keep smoke grenades

andycapps

It's going to be hilarious to read the bitter tears from SVER GAF on here when Zipper fixes the issues that make it the easiest class. :lol That's why I didn't join that train because I know they're going to fix it and then everyone in SVER is going to be stuck with crappy weapons.

PuMa

surefire1982 said:
i have a question regarding weapons.

does anyone here actually like the t2/t3 assault rifles? i switched out from that and into the LMG tree since i found i just wasn't hitting hard enough.

is the t3 LMG worth it over the t1 LMG?

also, has anyone tried the 4x optical scope, foregrip and t1 marksman rifle? is that any good?

I was rollin with the 4x scope, foregrip, and T1 AR, but recently upgraded to the battle rifle (T4) and included the suppressor. I'm loving it. It doesn't get the job done as well compared the the LMG in close quarters, but it's great for picking people off and the suppressor does a great job of keeping me off the radar. That's always been more my style of play though.

Had some rough games this morning but managed to rack up a decent amount of XP so there was still fun to be had.

andycapps said:
It's going to be hilarious to read the bitter tears from SVER GAF on here when Zipper fixes the issues that make it the easiest class. :lol That's why I didn't join that train because I know they're going to fix it and then everyone in SVER is going to be stuck with crappy weapons.

Did they say they were actually going to fix anything? I thought any chances to balance the difference PMC's has already come and gone.

Top Bottom