• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

andycapps

BruceLeeRoy said:
Did they say they were actually going to fix anything? I thought any chances to balance the difference PMC's has already come and gone.

I don't think they've said that, but it's an online game which can be patched, so if it's clear that one faction has heavy advantages over others, I'd think there's a good chance it'd be nerfed. I'm guessing that will take them some time to analyze lots of data and put it through a lot of QA though so they don't cause more issues.

Vinci

Danish
Could someone give me an overview of the different PMCs' populations? Just from your own experience, how many active participants tend to be online for VALOR, RAVEN, and SVER?

Biff

Anyone from SVER here?? What does this say, I can't make it out:

˙ʇǝs ɹoɯɹɐ ǝʌısnlɔxǝ ɹǝpɹo-ǝɹd doʇsǝɯɐפ ɐ sʇǝƃ sıɥʇ ǝʇonb oʇ ɹƎΛS ɯoɹɟ uosɹǝd ʇsɹıℲ

Talafas

Neo Member
ChefRamsay said:
˙ʇǝs ɹoɯɹɐ ǝʌısnlɔxǝ ɹǝpɹo-ǝɹd doʇsǝɯɐפ ɐ sʇǝƃ sıɥʇ ǝʇonb oʇ ɹƎΛS ɯoɹɟ uosɹǝd ʇsɹıℲ

Thanks !

depward

Sorry Raven GAF - got sick this weekend and couldn't play much. Glad to hear we're fighting much better than the first couple of days :lol

darkwing

depward said:
Sorry Raven GAF - got sick this weekend and couldn't play much. Glad to hear we're fighting much better than the first couple of days :lol

I have to agree, i once saw like 3 squads of Raven taking out our SVER bunkers one by one, their platoon leader must have whipped them :lol

andycapps

depward said:

I don't know how it was before because I just got MAG on Saturday, but when I played a few matches with Raven GAF with thebishop, trevelyan, uncle andy, and a few more we were rolling over the other squads. Just dominating. I'll say that thebishop was destroying people and his squad commanding was pretty good. He ended up with almost 1000 XP for the round, most of us were between 300-500XP and thought we were doing well. :lol

Question about Domination:
Even though your immediate objective is to secure the cooling towers since the enemy bunkers are so close your real goal in actuality is to take out the enemy bunkers correct?

PuMa

BruceLeeRoy said:
Question about Domination:
Even though your immediate objective is to secure the cooling towers since the enemy bunkers are so close your real goal in actuality is to take out the enemy bunkers correct?

The bunkers are a spawn point for the opposition so, yes, it is most usually beneficial to take down those bunkers first.

Liberty4all

Banned
surefire1982 said:
i have a question regarding weapons.

does anyone here actually like the t2/t3 assault rifles? i switched out from that and into the LMG tree since i found i just wasn't hitting hard enough.

is the t3 LMG worth it over the t1 LMG?

also, has anyone tried the 4x optical scope, foregrip and t1 marksman rifle? is that any good?

I had the 3rd tier LMG (Raven) and ditched it.

My observations regarding 3rd tier LMG (keep in mind some people swear by 3rd tier so it depends who you talk to)--

Hits HARD at close to medium range.
Less accurate than 1st tier LMG at range (this is in my opinion)
Slightly less shots per second
Takes out turrets and APC's alot quicker than 1st tier
Heavy as hell ... basically kiss goodbye to all your attachment and gear goodies
Costs a whopping 5 skill pts for minimal advantages over regular LMG

Basically the way I see it, the 1st tier LMG is realllly good right now (my guess is that it will eventually be nerfed), and does NOT cost you 5 skill pts. Ride the 1st tier LMG gravy train until the inevitable nerf. then figure out where to go from there.

The advantages of the 3rd tier LMG are minimal when compared to 1st.

Liberty4all

Banned
Vinci said:
Could someone give me an overview of the different PMCs' populations? Just from your own experience, how many active participants tend to be online for VALOR, RAVEN, and SVER?

While i don't have any hard numbers it does kind of seem that alot of people chose to play the game on easy mode (SVER).

I think the most amusing thing is that when I go into the Shadow War Deploy menu you've got every faction trying to play on the maps that they have advantage -- Valor loves their Sabotage map, Raven will all crowd into acquisition, SVER tend not to care since all their home maps are made of win.

Vinci

Danish
Bamelin said:
While i don't have any hard numbers it does kind of seem that alot of people chose to play the game on easy mode (SVER).

Thanks for the information. Anyone else see something similar or different?

I'm enjoying the game, but I'm getting re-spawning bugs all the time. Anyone else having problems where you won't re-spawn and the counter just continuously resets?

Vinci

Danish
Leon S. Kennedy said:
I'm enjoying the game, but I'm getting re-spawning bugs all the time. Anyone else having problems where you won't re-spawn and the counter just continuously resets?

You will not respawn if you're accessing either the map or loadout functions. If you're in either of those, you need to back out of them.

Vinci said:
You will not respawn if you're accessing either the map or loadout functions. If you're in either of those, you need to back out of them.

I'm just dying, bleeding out and then I frequently get stuck not re-spawning. I'm not accessing the map or loadout functions.

Vinci

Danish
Leon S. Kennedy said:
I'm just dying, bleeding out and then I frequently get stuck not re-spawning. I'm not accessing the map or loadout functions.

Then yeah, that's a glitch of some kind. You might PM that information to the Zipper guy who's posted in here in the past.

AstroMan

Banned
I switched over to Valor since everybody was shitting on my choice to be SVER. Ugh. fucking everyone plays SVER and it sucks.

Oh and my first 256 match was CRAZY. So much shit happening.

PuMa

Leon S. Kennedy said:

That happened to me a few times in the beta, but I haven't had it happen since.

AstroMan

Banned
Vinci said:
So you're saying that SVER outnumbers the other PMCs too?

From looking at the in-game population and scores based on PMCs, it looks like this:

-SVER
-Valor
-Raven

Raven is greatly outnumbered. but Valor and SVER are kinda close.

PuMa

AstroMan said:
I switched over to Valor since everybody was shitting on my choice to be SVER. Ugh. fucking everyone plays SVER and it sucks.

What's your PSN name?

played acquisition a bit with SVER Gaf, unfortunately my mic need chargin so I can't speak and it's already really late tonight. got to go sleep. hopefully I'll be able to play more tomorrow

thanks for the invite Lince.

Wes

venison crêpe
Lince said:
Woodworm, you just tasted SVER awesomeness, enjoy your bleeding out.

Oh it only happened once because I jumped off a building to try to stab him in the face :lol

We won a Major Victory that game anyhow :D

Facism

AstroMan said:

Killzone 2 GAFe is SVER, so it's automatically better than the rest of you :3

andycapps

Leon S. Kennedy said:

I think this may be a known issue to Zipper.

We are aware of and are working towards fixing this.

Luckily, this is only affecting a small % of MAG players right now, but obviously not if you're one of them.

We will fix it, though. We'll have updates when it has been done.

--------------------
Jeremy Dunham
Sr. Comm Manager, Zipper Interactive
--------------------

I've been playing with a friend today ( who isn't a member of the RavenGAF or the forums ), and although SVER is constantly kicking our asses, we've been enjoying the matches a lot. I reached level 8, got the rescusciation ( sp? ) skill, and am now running around as a Medic. I love it - gives me good exp, too. :)

dorkimoe

woohoo 2 trophies last night

we were defending. and they started to overrun the point i was defending. I threw a gas grenade, ran in knifed 2, shot 1 and then ran away and another one got poisoned haha.

Tucah

you speak so well
I've been thinking of picking this up today. Just got my PS3, and althogh I have no one to play with since all my friends have 360s instead, I'm itching for an online shooter (despite the fact I'm nit great at them :lol)

andycapps

Tucah said:
I've been thinking of picking this up today. Just got my PS3, and althogh I have no one to play with since all my friends have 360s instead, I'm itching for an online shooter (despite the fact I'm nit great at them :lol)

Get a headset and join RavenGAF! You need to play with a group of people and not randoms on this game. The game is ok with randoms but becomes a whole different animal with a team that is working together.

ibu

My router died then when playing with SVER... just got into the game today... loving it very much.

Coming back on now!

GO team GO GO GO!!!!

peetfeet

andycapps said:
I think this may be a known issue to Zipper.

Just saw that. Some days its fine, others, a nightmare.

I've just had 7 'games' just now (2 with SVER Gaf) and 4 of them crapped out and i was still running around while dead, then 2-5mins later i get signed out of psn, the others had the endless respawn issue and also no hits registering ( also i managed to get a kill then literally 3 mins later after lots of running around thinking I was dead I get shot and killed and then got the +5xp on the screen).

I love this game but these issues need to be sorted, these were apparent in the beta so why still release without them 100% fixed?!

Having said that.... i'll be back later to see if its any better! :lol

Tucah

you speak so well
andycapps said:
Get a headset and join RavenGAF! You need to play with a group of people and not randoms on this game. The game is ok with randoms but becomes a whole different animal with a team that is working together.
Will actually probably do this, provided GAF will put up with my learning curve :lol

Vinci said:
So you're saying that SVER outnumbers the other PMCs too?

The game shows you how many players in each mode each PMC has, and SVER generally has the highest population. SVER also since launch pretty much has been dominating in victories according to the status updates in game.

Kowak

Banned
so happy that mag debuted at #3 here in the uk, not surprised as it was always high on the preorder charts. but i am surprised it was so high on the preorder charts without once seeinbg an advert for it.

i am now back in the battle

Fixed1979

Kowak said:
so happy that mag debuted at #3 here in the uk, not surprised as it was always high on the preorder charts. but i am surprised it was so high on the preorder charts without once seeinbg an advert for it.

I really hope it does well. Word of mouth seems to be spreading, I know I've had a few people on my friends list asking about it. It deserves to have a long life.

Kowak said:

Yeah, but it did less than 43k, which isn't that great...

Then again, SOCOM was always biggest in the USA, so that's probably gonna happen with MAG as well.

slider

TheFatOne said:
For some reason I am getting motion sickness from MAG. I will be fine for a while then I feel sick.

Me too. Didn't even get out of the training thing. Ugh.

Last time I had it was KZ2, but eventually I was fine with that. Hoping the same happens with MAG.

BTW, I tried things like an open window and stuff during KZ2 and, even though there's no real reason, it "helped".

Vinci

Danish
BattleMonkey said:
The game shows you how many players in each mode each PMC has, and SVER generally has the highest population. SVER also since launch pretty much has been dominating in victories according to the status updates in game.

Thanks for clarifying, BM. Appreciate it.

Violater

Vinci said:
Thanks for the information. Anyone else see something similar or different?

I see people from the other factions trying the same failing tactics over and over again.
I see holes in SVERS defense, but it will take coordination.

Acquisition: if you are spawning from the left facing SVER you need to take out the bunker to the far left then work your way across to the bunkers covering the bridge.
At the same time taking down the AAA

If your APC's are getting fucked by land mines, stop driving them across the bridge until the mines have been swept by rockets, mortar shells or someone with the explosive detector equipment.

Snipers across the bridge , if you suck at sniping don't do it. I cant tell you how many snipers i have taken out with my assault rifle and 4X scope.

The same coordination required to take down SVER i have used to take down the factions over and over.

Vinci

Danish
Violater said:
I see people from the other factions trying the same failing tactics over and over again.
I see holes in SVERS defense, but it will take coordination.

That's not what I was asking, Violater. I'm just keeping tabs on the PMC populations, though BM's additional info as to victories is helpful also.

TheFallen

Sounds like Kotaku is going to be publishing their review tomorrow (or just writing it), as Crecente mentioned he's working on getting to level 15 to check out the squad command portion of the game. I'm glad they're giving the game some time post-launch as most publications should, but a little disappointed that he's going to be writing a review so quickly. You can get to level 15 in less time than it takes to complete something like Halo or Gears of War (or most shooters). Which they would normally complete AND play the online portion after.

Top Bottom