• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

just started tonight, haven't played at all since the early beta so i'm still trying to wrap my head around it. has anyone written a good beginner's guide yet?

also had a question about voice chat; basically, whether i'm missing anything. it just seems like a crapshoot, not in terms of people using it or not but whether it comes through my TV or headset, whether people can hear me or not (seems like almost ever), etc. it's just an open channel with your squad, right? no push to talk or anything, no proximity chat? it's bumming me out that i just seem to be missing something. sorry for the lame question, thanks for any help.

Billen

Banned
rocksolidaudio said:
just started tonight, haven't played at all since the early beta so i'm still trying to wrap my head around it. has anyone written a good beginner's guide yet?

also had a question about voice chat; basically, whether i'm missing anything. it just seems like a crapshoot, not in terms of people using it or not but whether it comes through my TV or headset, whether people can hear me or not (seems like almost ever), etc. it's just an open channel with your squad, right? no push to talk or anything, no proximity chat? it's bumming me out that i just seem to be missing something. sorry for the lame question, thanks for any help.

Hardly to be considered a guide, but check this info written a couple of pages ago.

Kowak

Banned
I really want to be the OIC with an APC squad, I think raven would domnate everytime. Ttally fuck sver up. I notice now that raven tend to cause a lot more damage then in the first week, although there still are still the times when we get dominated, but that's only when the squads don't pay attention.

I keep saying it but when Raven are defending Dom they can't allow themselves to get trapped by the letters. It is so frustrating seeing all the other squads just defending and ravengaf the onlynones trying to repIr and push them back. Anyone can win at domination if they have 20 minutes of just attacking the letters.

I look forward to trying some more domination later, it is now my favorite game.

Darb

Neo Member
Thanks for the invites last night SverGaf (Bteam17). You guys are all so dominant. I had only played domination a few times before that with pugs and had no idea what to do at the beginning. Once you play in a squad using actual teamwork this game becomes so addicting. Can anyone recommend a successful loadout for domination matches? I noticed that quite a few of you were using the AR over the LMG? In addition to the medikit, is the RPG a must-have?

Billen

Banned
Kowak said:
I really want to be the OIC with an APC squad, I think raven would domnate everytime. Ttally fuck sver up. I notice now that raven tend to cause a lot more damage then in the first week, although there still are still the times when we get dominated, but that's only when the squads don't pay attention.

I keep saying it but when Raven are defending Dom they can't allow themselves to get trapped by the letters. It is so frustrating seeing all the other squads just defending and ravengaf the onlynones trying to repIr and push them back. Anyone can win at domination if they have 20 minutes of just attacking the letters.

I look forward to trying some more domination later, it is now my favorite game.

Good times at the bunker yesterday. I even found the heli! ;)

uraldix

Click said:
I just wanted to ask, do any of the other GAF factions know about the "Sweep" technique? Most of the time I see it used against us, our chance to win or dominate go drastically down. But because most players don't know about this strategy, we end up using it on opposing platoons and they can do little about it.

That is what I tried to express a couple of pages ago. I play with you guys and whether we are attacking or defending, we are aggressive. Most of the time the other factions have 3-5 snipers and only one or two people attacking at a time. Not to mention the fact that no one ever takes down one of our turrets.

Click said:
BTW I can't wait until most of the active SVER GAF players are at 60. I want to switch to Valor and destroy Raven and SVER.

I am going to have to start scoring higher XP so you guys don't leave me behind. The last thing I need is to see is Lince, Click, Violator, FFObsessed and company charging at me. At least I can justify getting the Suicide 5 times ribbon :D

Lince

Banned
Darb said:
Can anyone recommend a successful loadout for domination matches? I noticed that quite a few of you were using the AR over the LMG? In addition to the medikit, is the RPG a must-have?

well for domination matches equip the RPG when we're attacking, we need to take the turrets down ASAP, specially when there's an engineer laying prone repairing the damage (turning turrets into indestructible mode). Once the bunkers have been blown up it's time for your gun of choice, medkit (this should be in every loadout) and a heavy armor. I'm using an AR just to get the 1k kills medal for it, with a silencer you can rush a bunker and plant C4 without alerting everyone, on the other hand once inside the objectives I'm always "checking" corpses for LMGs (specially the mod 0 LMG) :lol

I would enjoy attacking and defending on all maps. There are so few to start with and since you're always on the same side it limits your options even more.

Now on to my rant...

The clan member list is stupid (no sorting/filtering, no page up/down, order appears entirely random) and the group system itself needs work (no way to see who of your friends/clan are grouped up, no in-match invites, no already-in-another-group invites, no mic indicators in menu, plus probably more I can't think of). The whole thing is so poorly done.

Here's the way I would have set up the group system. Everyone is automatically in a group of one, with a group name and joining options they can set(free join, invite only, clan only, etc). Then in addition to a list of friends/clan members, you get a sortable group list, which would show you group size, player names, and game status (with time remaining). You choose one and "join group" is the first option. Perhaps you could even link groups together to get multiple squads in one battle.

So you get online and see a group named "[your PMC here]GAF --Join Us"; it has five people in it already and is at the top of your list as the most populated group, two button presses later, you're in. What could be simpler?

Wes

venison crêpe
Click said:
I just wanted to ask, do any of the other GAF factions know about the "Sweep" technique?

Not sure what the sweep plan entails. Do you mean squads double stacking upon a single bunker?

wud

Neo Member
SVERs weapons are not powerful compared to Ravens and Valors to whoevers been spouting that! I scavenged a bullpup assault rifle off a Raven guy (looked alot like the F2000) it had zero recoil, loads of range, stupid firerate and damage. I pissed on loads of people with that yet usually struggle with the SVER's assault rifles and the standard LMG is only decent with the sight + grip combo

Lince

Banned
TelemachusD said:
Perhaps you could even link groups together to get multiple squads in one battle.

this

wud said:
SVERs weapons are not powerful compared to Ravens and Valors to whoevers been spouting that! I scavenged a bullpup assault rifle off a Raven guy (looked alot like the F2000) it had zero recoil, loads of range, stupid firerate and damage. I pissed on loads of people with that yet usually struggle with the SVER's assault rifles and the standard LMG is only decent with the sight + grip combo

and this

andycapps

BattleMonkey said:
Had a good game with ya guys, sorry about the no communication thing, but at night I'm working out riding my bike while playing MAG so I don't wear the MIC as to not get it sweaty :lol

It's all good. We still won every game that you were a part of anyway, IIRC. Good times regardless. We didn't seem to have any of the higher ranking members of RavenGAF in when I was playing, but thebishop was just meeting up with us when I had to get to bed. Still had a hard time getting up for work today! :lol

uraldix

Darb said:
Can anyone recommend a successful loadout for domination matches?

These are the main loadouts that I use for Dom (I don't remember everything on them):

1st setup (used until Bunkers are down or when APC's are in play) : LMG(1st one with sight and grip), Lock on RPG, frag, heavy armor. Can't equip the medkit because of weight, I need to tinker with it a bit.

2nd Setup: LMG, MedKit, Frags, Medium Armor

3rd Setup (for defense mainly): LMG, MedKit, Engineer kit, heavy armor

I am mainly a support type player. My main goal is to help take down enemy defenses and support the guys that are good at mowing down the opposition. I routinely take a death in order to rez one of the top players or switch to the engineer build so that others don't have to.

We played together a bit last night, when you're incapacitated you'll often hear me say "When I get you up, run". That means there are more enemies around than I can handle :D

Violater

Wes said:
Not sure what the sweep plan entails. Do you mean squads double stacking upon a single bunker?

Combined efforts with the other squad on one side to take down all the objectives in a "sweeping" motion across the map.

It works especially well when the entire defense has run off to defend the towers.

uraldix

Violater said:
Combined efforts with the other squad on one side to take down all the objectives in a "sweeping" motion across the map.

It works especially well when the entire defense has run off to defend the towers.

Half the time, you don't even have to combine anymore. I got confused in one of the matches last night (the Dom match we won with about a minute left) and attacked the wrong bunker. I destroyed the turret and planted before I figured it out that I was all by myself. I think the other team just gave up the bunkers in the hopes of holding the towers.

andycapps

Violater said:

I take it you need a platoon leader that communicates to both squad leaders to coordinate that? Good plan though.

Violater

andycapps said:
I take it you need a platoon leader that communicates to both squad leaders to coordinate that? Good plan though.

Naa we (our squad) just ran across the map and helped another squad out.
Like I said, we did so with little resistance because everyone wants to hold the precious tower.

andycapps

Violater said:
Naa we (our squad) just ran across the map and helped another squad out.
Like I said, we did so with little resistance because everyone wants to hold the precious tower.

This is true.. I really wish there was a way to have more than one squad from a clan in the game. Can you imagine 2 GAF squads working together with an OIC and platoon commander both from GAF? It'd be epic.

Billen

Banned
Milk Lizard said:
Lost connection with the MAG servers and it has kept doing that for the last 15 min.

Your internet connection is probably down, and you have once again regressed to this conversation in the fictive place "NeoGAF" with us persons that exist only in your mind.

GodofWine

Im thinking about getting this as my 'serious game' where I play with GAF and GAF like people...and retaining COD to play with my casual gaming real world friends....

But my question is, how many people are actually playing this online (does it even tell you??)? did it sell OK...or is it starting with a gimped player base which will drop 50% in the first month since its not mindless COD like action (not saying thats a bad thing).

Also, did they fix the terrible gun sounds from the beta? I just need to know whether to have my hopes high or low sound effects wise.

theBishop

Banned
rocksolidaudio said:
it just seems like a crapshoot, not in terms of people using it or not but whether it comes through my TV or headset, whether people can hear me or not (seems like almost ever), etc. it's just an open channel with your squad, right? no push to talk or anything, no proximity chat?

It's open chat with your squad. No matter where they are on the map, you can hear them and they can hear you.

There's also proximity chat: for both teams. The way it works is you can hear nearby people on your team and their name will pop up onscreen in white rather than yellow. You can hear the other team too (and they can hear you), but you won't get any onscreen indicator.

uraldix

GodofWine said:
Im thinking about getting this as my 'serious game' where I play with GAF and GAF like people...and retaining COD to play with my casual gaming real world friends....

But my question is, how many people are actually playing this online (does it even tell you??)? did it sell OK...or is it starting with a gimped player base which will drop 50% in the first month since its not mindless COD like action (not saying thats a bad thing).

Also, did they fix the terrible gun sounds from the beta? I just need to know whether to have my hopes high or low sound effects wise.

Depending the mode, there are usually a few thousand people playing for each faction everytime I play (usually 5-9 pm EST). Some of the factions are migrating to modes where they win more so I am not sure how that will play out long term. I never have a problem finding a game with a couple of minutes.

Didn't play the beta but the gun sounds are not very good, so I will guess they didn't fix them.

So is the P90 worth it Ravens? Does it hold 50 rounds like the real thing? Getting sick of running mostly LMG so was wanting to move to a gun with good mag capacity.

Nightz

Wow yesterday was the first day that I didn't turn my PS3 on and play MAG. Now I'm at work and all I can think about is that game. :lol

Picked it up last night, had a pretty good time with two matches. I sort of knew what to do from readin this thread and reviews. I chose sver because i already have a friend with them, but surprisinlgy both matches my team lost. Of course im in the new player servers i guess.

only problem, is everyone had mics, so everyone was talking over each other at points and it was super annoying. how do the mic settings work, am i only listening to my squad when i start?? does it do like proximity? and if someone kills me, are they able to say something to me for a few seconds?

depward

depward said:
Checking my stats in the barracks menu shows I've played 11 hours and change... yet when you access my card via the clan menu, I'm up to 14. Will the three hours of "lost time" there just never count? If so, that would be unfortunate, because I received some sweet ribbons playing last night that aren't showing at the moment..

Quoting myself again, THIS TIME with some commentary. Apparently, this has happened to a good deal of folks and the latest patch is supposed to fix. However, over on the official boards, they said "some players" might not get the ribbons that they earned. And it looks as if I "lost" over three hours of exp / ribbons I earned, which might not seem like a lot to some folks who have played a lot but that's about 25% of my playtime.

In any case, this sort of thing happened with Warhawk. And it makes me extremely salty when online-only games have little niggles like this; I want all of my accomplishments to show, to be recorded. And when they aren't, it really kinda sucks.

Wes

venison crêpe
BattleMonkey said:
So is the P90 worth it Ravens? Does it hold 50 rounds like the real thing? Getting sick of running mostly LMG so was wanting to move to a gun with good mag capacity.

I'm runing with it but it's annoying. It feels "weak" to me and the accuracy is subpar, especially with a silencer. It is even more essential with this gun that you get headshots in.

PuMa

GodofWine said:

To answer your questions...

The game is fuck awesome. Buy it.

Cheech

As with many posters, I am also going to put up a "should I buy this game" question.

1. I am completely sick of CoD and Halo. Just done with both series. At this point, it's the same shade of lipstick on a different pig.
2. I thought Killzone 2 was a pile of shit.
3. I also think Resistance 1/2 are piles of shit.
4. Gears of War 1/2 are awesome, but the online experience is too inconsistent. Still, best level designs in the business.
5. The Battlefield games are where it's at for me. I love the vehicles, the intensity, the well designed levels, and the complete lack of the deathmatch mentality. I'm really, really looking forward to Bad Company 2, but if Zipper put another gem out there, I wouldn't mind picking this up. I got over a thousand hours of gameplay on the first SOCOM.

So, GAF: Should I buy MAG? I tried the beta, but the servers were messed up.

andycapps

Cheech said:
As with many posters, I am also going to put up a "should I buy this game" question.

1. I am completely sick of CoD and Halo. Just done with both series. At this point, it's the same shade of lipstick on a different pig.
4. Gears of War 1/2 are awesome, but the online experience is too inconsistent. Still, best level designs in the business.
5. The Battlefield games are where it's at for me. I love the vehicles, the intensity, the well designed levels, and the complete lack of the deathmatch mentality. I'm really, really looking forward to Bad Company 2, but if Zipper put another gem out there, I wouldn't mind picking this up. I got over a thousand hours of gameplay on the first SOCOM.

Based on that, I'm guessing yes. Will be hard to tell you for sure until you try it, but it is the complete anti-thesis to CoD and Halo, that's for sure. I haven't played MW2 since I got this and don't know if I'll be able to go back.

Click

Banned
Wes said:

It means we sweep from either left to right or right to left, depending on where our spawn is.
Take out the corner bunkers first and pinch / sweep inward. The corner bunkers are usually the hardest to defend and once you take them out, it's much easier to mount an attack on the remaining bunkers, AA, gates, and towers.

Obviously it works best when multiple squads join forces to overwhelm a single bunker, but it's usually not necessary for SVER GAF to use this tactic. Unless we're playing against a good clan / squad or if the defending bunkers' turrets overlap and can shoot us from across the map, we normally take the corner bunker fast and efficiently with only our 6-8 man squad.

I kept quiet about this not because I don't want other GAF factions to know about it, but because I know a lot of lurkers / players also read GAF and would learn about this effective technique. Oh well, a lot of the good clans already know about it anyway...

Violater

Click said:
I kept quiet about this not because I don't want other GAF factions to know about it, but because I know a lot of lurkers / players also read GAF and would learn about this effective technique. Oh well, a lot of the good clans already know about it anyway...

If it will help to level out the playing field then fine.
All it means is that we come up with better ways to stop them, that shouldn't be too hard for us to do ;)

Click

Banned
LOL, it's Cheech.

I think I put him on ignore because he would troll inFAMOUS non-stop before the game came out...

Violater said:
If it will help to level out the playing field then fine.
All it means is that we come up with better ways to stop them, that shouldn't be too hard for us to do ;)
Yep. And once all of the factions get a solid handle on "zerging", there will follow a natural counter-strategy, and we'll all be back to the drawing board again :)

andycapps

rocksolidaudio said:

About the voice chat, someone already answered that question, but yeah.. It's open mic for your squad and then proximity chat for your team mates and the enemy. Some of the chat seems to come out of the TV though. I haven't figured out why some of the proximity chat comes through the TV, but maybe that's from the other team.

There's really no tutorial in the game. other than the opening one that teaches you how to walk around and shoot your gun, so your best way of learning anything is being with a group of people that talk a lot. If you want to join the GAF groups sometime hit some of us up or join one of the clans in the online side of gaming discussion here. I think all of the clans you'll have people talking constantly, coordinating, and helping people out. What PMC you playing as?

Cheech said:

read this review, if you think you share the same vision about the games mentioned you should probably buy it:

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3177786

andycapps said:
About the voice chat, someone already answered that question, but yeah.. It's open mic for your squad and then proximity chat for your team mates and the enemy. Some of the chat seems to come out of the TV though. I haven't figured out why some of the proximity chat comes through the TV, but maybe that's from the other team.

There's really no tutorial in the game. other than the opening one that teaches you how to walk around and shoot your gun, so your best way of learning anything is being with a group of people that talk a lot. If you want to join the GAF groups sometime hit some of us up or join one of the clans in the online side of gaming discussion here. I think all of the clans you'll have people talking constantly, coordinating, and helping people out. What PMC you playing as?

Valor. i actually hit up Puma for a clan invite last night, it would be great to have a reliable group of folks to play with. thanks for the chat info, hopefully it makes more sense next time i hop in.

andycapps

rocksolidaudio said:
Valor. i actually hit up Puma for a clan invite last night, it would be great to have a reliable group of folks to play with. thanks for the chat info, hopefully it makes more sense next time i hop in.

No problem, good luck with it. Yeah hit up the officers in valor GAF for an invite. I'm assuming ValorGAF has lots of people online at nights like Raven and SVER does.

andycapps

BruceLeeRoy said:
Ahh so I don't do it using the d-pad in-game

I think it's either.. but the map is the best way to see all the objectives. Hit select to bring up the map. I had my first time as squad commander last night and was just asking the other GAF guys what frago to set and it seemed to work out okay. But yeah, they said to just hit select as soon as the match starts and set the frago via the map.

Top Bottom