• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Billen

Banned
Up until now I have had one bug occur for me, which was when I fell through the floor in defense of the Raven sabotage map. Now, after the patch today, two things have happened in less than 5 minutes on the SVER dom map:

1. I enter the game, spawn in an APC and can't exit. The APC got blown up and my camera stood still in the same spot until the APC respawned, and then I followed it again until it blew up. Still couldn't exit. Had to exit the game to get out of the APC.
2. Enter the same game again and in less than two minutes the game freezes. The sounds stopped and I hear the background "murmur" of the level.

I also got the feeling of MORE rubberbanding than earlier, instead of less. What about you others? Everything working ok? :D

andycapps said:
I think it's either.. but the map is the best way to see all the objectives. Hit select to bring up the map. I had my first time as squad commander last night and was just asking the other GAF guys what frago to set and it seemed to work out okay. But yeah, they said to just hit select as soon as the match starts and set the frago via the map.

Sweet I cant wait to do that.

Click

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
As a squad leader how do I issue commands?

Select is the best way IMO. It pulls up your CNI (Command Network Interface), so you get a map (which you can zoom in and out of) with all the assets and capture points on it. Move to a bunker, objective, asset, whatever, and press X to FRAGO it.

The left panel is also very useful because it could be confusing and tough to tell which Mortar Battery, Sensor Array, and other assets belong to your platoon in Domination. You just move down the panel with icons and press triangle to "snap" to the asset. Then press X to FRAGO it.

To clear waypoints and FRAGOs, press square. Currently, there is a an annoying lag period from the time you clear a FRAGO / waypoint until you can re-FRAGO again. So back out of the CNI after you press square, wait a few seconds, then bring up the CNI again to fix this issue.

Another important job the squad leader has, other than FRAGO'ing, is to use the abilities given to them. On offense, their abilities require the AA to be down first before they can use it. Otherwise, the abilities are useless and will get shot down. Just press R1 when on the CNI screen to scroll across to the abilities menu. Find an area / object you want to use the ability on and press X. Read the descriptions first so you don't use it the wrong way. And obviously, the cooldown for the ability (red bar in the ability's icon) and the platoon-wide ability cooldown (red bar on the bottom of the screen) need to expire before you can use these abilities.

Just keep in mind, a good squad leader can't always be in the middle of action. You need to constantly FRAGO and waypoint new objectives so your team knows what to attack / defend next and so you and your team can earn more points. FRAGOs are constantly being automatically de-selected after you completed or failed an objective. So you need to monitor your CNI carefully and frequently to be a good squad leader. If you're dead or respawning, precious time could be wasted while your squad is without a FRAGO.

Obviously everyone has to learn somehow and your squad may suffer the first few times of having a newbie squad leader. But if you just suck at being one (not saying anyone sucks), please do not apply to be one or relinquish the position to a more capable squad leader during the game. Squad leaders are quite possibly the most important leadership role in the game. Platoon leaders and even OICs don't have nearly as much power, just powerful abilities.

Wes

venison crêpe
Click said:
It means we sweep from either left to right or right to left, depending on where our spawn is.
Take out the corner bunkers first and pinch / sweep inward. The corner bunkers are usually the hardest to defend and once you take them out, it's much easier to mount an attack on the remaining bunkers, AA, gates, and towers.

Ah yes that is generally what RavenGAF does if we're stuck on a corner spawn. However in the past we (Raven) have had serious problems in holding on to things we've blown up. Hopefully the team will start to learn that it's easier to defend something that's been blown up than rushing off to the next objective and not consolidating your position.

I understand the need to keep the momentum going forward, but it shouldn't be at the expense of allowing the opposing team to simply repair their bunker again.

Also I find the corner strategy is way more succesful if the APC squads charge the gate. Even if they don't get it down, it distracts the centre squads from additionally covering the forward and corner lines.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Hmmm, I don't remember the cover/wall thing being there on the left side of that lone bunker. I don't think it was there before.. Maybe I'm thinking about something else.

Saw a few fuckers bunny-hopping all over the place for the first time today. Bad news: it seemed pretty effective from what I saw. Not to mention, from third-person perspective, they looked like they were getting like five feet of air. Lame.

Nothing will make me quit this game faster than if this becomes a trend.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Raven gaf, getting a slim ps3 tomorrow hopefully so if all goes will with the restoring backup etc i should be back tomorrow :D

Violater

NEOPARADIGM said:
Saw a few fuckers bunny-hopping all over the place for the first time today. Bad news: it seemed pretty effective from what I saw. Not to mention, from third-person perspective, they looked like they were getting like five feet of air. Lame.

Saw the same shit too in a couple games and you are right it can be annoyingly effective.

darkwing

NEOPARADIGM said:

I saw this too, pretty effective, i was trying to shoot the bunny at a distance but i just can't :lol

JWong

Banned
I don't know how many times I died while parachuting on the SVER map for domination, but it was a lot. Being able to defend their pump station and shoot people in the sky and on the ground is completely retarded.

TheFatOne

I played a few games today, and that about raps it up for me. I am pretty much done with this game.

Edit: Also Click the "sweep" doesn't really work against have decent teams. It works against the scrubs who don't know what they are doing.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
TheFatOne said:
I played a few games today, and that about raps it up for me. I am pretty much done with this game.

Edit: Also Click the "sweep" doesn't really work against have decent teams. It works against the scrubs who don't know what they are doing.
Maybe you should join SVER for a while, and play with randoms and see if there is a difference in skill?

Violater

JWong said:
I don't know how many times I died while parachuting on the SVER map for domination, but it was a lot. Being able to defend their pump station and shoot people in the sky and on the ground is completely retarded.

Sounds like your squad leader either has his CNI jammed or not doing his job.
He should have rained down hell on them and cleared them from the pump.

TheFatOne

Inanna said:
Maybe you should join SVER for a while, and play with randoms and see if there is a difference in skill?

I already played as SVER. It really doesn't have anything do with skill. I really believe that MAG in general has some of the worst player/idiots on the planet. I thought that Killzone 2 had the dumbest players of any first person shooter, but MAG ts now the ultimate champion.

My biggest problem withe SVER domination is not the the bunkers (although they are bullshit). It is after the bunkers. Once the AA battery comes down its almost impossible to attack SVER with the way the maps are laid out. The map funnels you into a small area. You have to then dodge the snipers and all the other people hiding behind cover. If you some how make it past the snipers you now have to run another 15-20 feet in the wide open in order to plant on the doors. If by some miracle of god you blow the doors up you then have to repeat the same process. Except this time there will be about 20 people in the room you have to kill. If I had an overhead map of SVER domination I could go into greater detail.

wud

Neo Member
Phoned up sony before as I got the yellow light of death with MAG stuck inside it, pleasent woman over the phone informed me that "this is not a widespread problem" and that "if you pay us £131 you can have a refurbished unit" at which point i told her to "fuck off"

just took my PS3 to pieces in order to rescue my disc :lol At least i got to play it for a day...

Click said:
Select is the best way IMO. It pulls up your CNI (Command Network Interface), so you get a map (which you can zoom in and out of) with all the assets and capture points on it. Move to a bunker, objective, asset, whatever, and press X to FRAGO it.

The left panel is also very useful because it could be confusing and tough to tell which Mortar Battery, Sensor Array, and other assets belong to your platoon in Domination. You just move down the panel with icons and press triangle to "snap" to the asset. Then press X to FRAGO it.

To clear waypoints and FRAGOs, press square. Currently, there is a an annoying lag period from the time you clear a FRAGO / waypoint until you can re-FRAGO again. So back out of the CNI after you press square, wait a few seconds, then bring up the CNI again to fix this issue.

Another important job the squad leader has, other than FRAGO'ing, is to use the abilities given to them. On offense, their abilities require the AA to be down first before they can use it. Otherwise, the abilities are useless and will get shot down. Just press R1 when on the CNI screen to scroll across to the abilities menu. Find an area / object you want to use the ability on and press X. Read the descriptions first so you don't use it the wrong way. And obviously, the cooldown for the ability (red bar in the ability's icon) and the platoon-wide ability cooldown (red bar on the bottom of the screen) need to expire before you can use these abilities.

Just keep in mind, a good squad leader can't always be in the middle of action. You need to constantly FRAGO and waypoint new objectives so your team knows what to attack / defend next and so you and your team can earn more points. FRAGOs are constantly being automatically de-selected after you completed or failed an objective. So you need to monitor your CNI carefully and frequently to be a good squad leader. If you're dead or respawning, precious time could be wasted while your squad is without a FRAGO.

Obviously everyone has to learn somehow and your squad may suffer the first few times of having a newbie squad leader. But if you just suck at being one (not saying anyone sucks), please do not apply to be one or relinquish the position to a more capable squad leader during the game. Squad leaders are quite possibly the most important leadership role in the game. Platoon leaders and even OICs don't have nearly as much power, just powerful abilities.

That was incredibly useful thanks so much Click.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
wud said:
Phoned up sony before as I got the yellow light of death with MAG stuck inside it, pleasent woman over the phone informed me that "this is not a widespread problem" and that "if you pay us £131 you can have a refurbished unit" at which point i told her to "fuck off"

just took my PS3 to pieces in order to rescue my disc :lol At least i got to play it for a day...
ouch :/ I see people doing hairdryers to back of ps3 on ylod work long enough to get disc out. Otherwise you can do gilksy trick and fix it (maybe only temp fix though)

Billen

Banned
NEOPARADIGM said:

Same here, people jumping around with grenade launchers in the AR. That shit had better stop unless it's an ad campaign for Bad Company 2.

Cheech

Click said:
LOL, it's Cheech.

I think I put him on ignore because he would troll inFAMOUS non-stop before the game came out...

Give me a break! Infamous was one of my favorite games last year.

Killzone 2, not so much. I did slag that game quite a bit in the "official" thread, and got some heat from the psychotic fanboy contingent.

Thanks for the replies. I have $50 of Best Buy goodness rotting in my wallet since Christmas, and I just may bite on Mag.

I would've thought that jumping would've been removed from just about all modern shooters nowadays. Its not needed, and it only leads to crap like bunny-hopping.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
TheFatOne said:
I already played as SVER. It really doesn't have anything do with skill. I really believe that MAG in general has some of the worst player/idiots on the planet. I thought that Killzone 2 had the dumbest players of any first person shooter, but MAG ts now the ultimate champion.

My biggest problem withe SVER domination is not the the bunkers (although they are bullshit). It is after the bunkers. Once the AA battery comes down its almost impossible to attack SVER with the way the maps are laid out. The map funnels you into a small area. You have to then dodge the snipers and all the other people hiding behind cover. If you some how make it past the snipers you now have to run another 15-20 feet in the wide open in order to plant on the doors. If by some miracle of god you blow the doors up you then have to repeat the same process. Except this time there will be about 20 people in the room you have to kill. If I had an overhead map of SVER domination I could go into greater detail.
Maybe one of the SVER guys here can do that for us? Even if it's taken with a mobile phone. Go in CNI and Zoom out until all of the map is visible on the screen and take a picture and post it here. Lince?

Violater

Inanna said:
Maybe one of the SVER guys here can do that for us? Even if it's taken with a mobile phone. Go in CNI and Zoom out until all of the map is visible on the screen and take a picture and post it here. Lince?

Will not show you the entire map unfortunately.

TheFatOne said:

errrrr.... no?

you obviously just notice these people more in games which rely more on teamplay&tactics

JWong

Banned
Violater said:
Sounds like your squad leader either has his CNI jammed or not doing his job.
He should have rained down hell on them and cleared them from the pump.
How do you do that when their extremely well protected with cover?

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Ah that's too bad. Maybe do it in sections and then post all of them here for people to edit them together in photoshop or something? Shouldn't be too hard. Same for Valor and Raven maps.

But I remember we could do it in open beta... Ah well, if someone won't I will after I get the game during weekend.

Kowak

Banned
TheFatOne said:
I really believe that MAG in general has some of the worst player/idiots on the planet. I thought that Killzone 2 had the dumbest players of any first person shooter, but MAG ts now the ultimate champion.

raven has some right idiots at times, but i tend to notice that the worst offenders are guys who are not in clans. i think this is the only FPS i have played where being part of a clan actually meant something.

I wish they could have a marketplace type thing where clans could advertise to try and get people into clans.

After a terrible experience today with some randoms, that led to my first boot from a game,(actually reminds me that on the first night someone tried to kick out das-j for being a vocal squad leader in acq. and telling people where to go, somepeople are just idiots) i know will only play with ravengaf even if it means i have to sit and look at my screen and till a second person comes on. even when it has been me and one other i have found it a great experience.

although, i do think in time it will get better and the idiots might start getting what the game is about.

Safe Bet

Banned
NullPointer said:
I would've thought that jumping would've been removed from just about all modern shooters nowadays. Its not needed, and it only leads to crap like bunny-hopping.
I've never understood why shooters don't have a jump penalty.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Kowak said:
After a terrible experience today with some randoms, that led to my first boot from a game,(actually reminds me that on the first night someone tried to kick out das-j for being a vocal squad leader in acq. and telling people where to go, somepeople are just idiots) i know will only play with ravengaf even if it means i have to sit and look at my screen and till a second person comes on. even when it has been me and one other i have found it a great experience.
Randoms trying to kick out one of the guys who made the game? :lol classic!

Fixed1979

Safe Bet said:
I've never understood why shooters don't have a jump penalty.

I was never taken out of the game so much as when a SVER jumped off a wall and head shot me with a LMG while still in the air...maybe it was a lucky shot, either way I was not impressed.

Click

Banned
TheFatOne said:

*sigh*

The great Lion Wolf reduced to a common GAF whiner.

Seriously bro, you should've stuck with us. Yeah, you played with SVER GAF (not even the whole team) for a while during the IGN tournament thing, but that was only on Sabotage. Then you decided it would be a great idea to wonder off into your little Valor "Kings" world and now you're just a pissed off forum monkey. :lol

I won't even argue about the skill vs. map advantage bullshit anymore. Believe what you want to believe. But I gotta comment on all the other garbage you said above.

MAG requires good teamwork, the ability to follow instructions, and good communication in order for players to experience the true potential of the game. Most FPS gamers these days have been trained to do the exact opposite of that. It's really not fair to blame the game or players for not being able to adapt and learn quickly. For some people, it takes a good amount of time to forget about what they've been trained to do for so long and learn what MAG has to offer. And MAG is only 1 and a half week old.

For the most part, SVER players seem more able to use good teamwork, follow instructions, and communicate well with each other. Most teams I've been on are well-coordinated and the majority of players know what to do. If they don't know what to do, we tell them and they USUALLY listen. We don't sit back at our spawn and try to snipe while 2 or 3 brave souls try to take over a bunker that's well-defended.... which is what I've seen time and again Valor and Raven players doing. We try not to blow up a bunker or asset, then leave it open for mechanics to repair 3 minutes later. If we do, we go back and blow it up again, then secure the area a while longer to make sure lone-wolf mechanics don't try and fix it again. We don't rush up to a bunker and turrets with our APCs, bum rushing the gate, expecting to survive long enough for the gate to be destroyed and our APC making it through the hell that's being rained upon it. We hide our APCs so we can use it as a traveling spawn point, instead of treating it like an indestructible tank. Our officers actually use their abilities correctly and usually at the right times, unlike most Raven and Valor, especially when they're on attack and use their abilities before the AA has been destroyed, lol.

I could go on and on, but you get the point. Again, you can believe what you want, but the simple fact is, SVER has more players that know how to play MAG and not just run around like the retards you're pissed about, acting like this is just another run-of-the-mill online shooter.

Sure, every faction has good / great players. But SVER has more. Blame it on map advantage like most people do, I don't care. But when it comes down to it, we win most of the games we play, whether it be on defense or attack. And we'll do the same on Valor side once enough people reach 60. Hopefully you'll last long enough to play with us again. If not, oh well. Just try not to soak your keyboard up with your bitter tears. :D

Billen

Banned
I also firmly believe that one side in a game comprised of people from around the globe manages to gather all the decent players due to plain chance and choice of clothing.

I think that sounds rational. :D

Kowak

Banned
Click said:
raven are shit

good thing i am off to bed now, doubt this post will go down well.

p.s. i would love it if zipper just decided to flip the sver and raven maps. then we could see the ease at which sver would take down their own map.

edit;for the most part, i think you are right sver work better as a team but i think that is down to just the continued ease in which they can win.

TheFatOne

Click said:
*sigh*

The great Lion Wolf reduced to a common GAF whiner.

Seriously bro, you should've stuck with us. Yeah, you played with SVER GAF (not even the whole team) for a while during the IGN tournament thing, but that was only on Sabotage. Then you decided it would be a great idea to wonder off into your little Valor "Kings" world and now you're just a pissed off forum monkey. :lol

I won't even argue about the skill vs. map advantage bullshit anymore. Believe what you want to believe. But I gotta comment on all the other garbage you said above.

MAG requires good teamwork, the ability to follow instructions, and good communication in order for players to experience the true potential of the game. Most FPS gamers these days have been trained to do the exact opposite of that. It's really not fair to blame the game or players for not being able to adapt and learn quickly. For some people, it takes a good amount of time to forget about what they've been trained to do for so long and learn what MAG has to offer. And MAG is only 1 and a half week old.

For the most part, SVER players seem more able to use good teamwork, follow instructions, and communicate well with each other. Most teams I've been on are well-coordinated and the majority of players know what to do. If they don't know what to do, we tell them and they USUALLY listen. We don't sit back at our spawn and try to snipe while 2 or 3 brave souls try to take over a bunker that's well-defended.... which is what I've seen time and again Valor and Raven players doing. We try not to blow up a bunker or asset, then leave it open for mechanics to repair 3 minutes later. If we do, we go back and blow it up again, then secure the area a while longer to make sure lone-wolf mechanics don't try and fix it again. We don't rush up to a bunker and turrets with our APCs and bum rushing the gate, expecting to survive long enough for the gate to be destroyed and our APC making it through the hell that's being rained upon it. We hide our APCs so we can use it as a traveling spawn point, instead of treating it like an indestructible tank. Our officers actually use their abilities correctly and usually at the right times, unlike most Raven and Valor, especially when they're on attack and use their abilities before the AA has been destroyed, lol.

Sure, every faction has good / great players. But SVER has more. Blame it on map advantage like most people do, I don't care. But when it comes down to it, we win most of the games we play, whether it be on defense or attack. And we'll do the same on Valor side once enough people reach 60. Hopefully you'll last long enough to play with us again. If not, oh well. Just try not to soak your keyboard up with your bitter tears. :D

My main problem with the SVER maps is lack of cover. That is all I don't like about the maps. The bunkers are bullshit, but they are not invincible especially with a few rockets. The problem I have is that there is no fucking cover on the SVER domination map once you get past the bunkers.

Wes

venison crêpe
Billen said:
I also firmly believe that one side in a game comprised of people from around the globe manages to gather all the decent players due to plain chance and choice of clothing.

This is my main way of thinking too. I mean it's not out of the realms of possibility but without doing the math it sounds unlikely. But then again so did the birthday problem until we had a lesson covering it which blew my mind.

I've generally got over the side indifference now. What is more pissing me off now is I seem to go through phases of targeting. Like for one hour I can be getting my sights plum on peoples heads and rocking away. Othertimes my sights are all over the places and all I'm doing is hitting people in the leg :(

Noshino

Kowak said:
shit i am pumped, i think Zipper need to make a patch with the first minute and the final minute of that video is played when you are waiting for the game to start,

edit: such a great film and my favourite sports movie of defo the 90s and right up there with rocky and most valuable primate.

Oh come on, that's nothing

This is the video that deserves to be put on the last 5 minutes of every Raven fight :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wRkzCW5qI

Click

Banned
TheFatOne said:
My main problem with the SVER maps is lack of cover. That is all I don't like about the maps. The bunkers are bullshit, but they are not invincible especially with a few rockets. The problem I have is that there is no fucking cover on the SVER domination map once you get past the bunkers.

Yeah, the lack of cover can be a problem for attacking teams. But not all quadrants of SVER Dom. are like that you know. In fact, 1 quadrant in particular is full of trucks, crates, boxes, tunnels, train tracks, buildings, you name it. It's so easy to "sweep" SVER in this quadrant. But 80% of the time I play, I never see Valor or Raven do what's necessary to win. They just sit back or bum rush the gate / bunkers with their APCs, while we're ready for their attacks. However, when they do work as a team and not act like pussies, our line usually falls quick and we have a very difficult time regaining our position if this happens.

Another thing is, Valor and Raven Dom. maps also have very difficult quadrants to attack. Yeah, there's usually a lot more cover for the attacking teams, but that sometimes works against the attacking team more than it helps us. Sure, turrets have a harder time to pick us off, but ground troops have a lot more cover to hide behind, waiting for attackers to run by and ambushing them. There are so many more vantage points for defenders to camp on Valor and Raven defense maps, compared to SVER's.

scoobs

Ok i was just watching a video of some dude going 63-0... said he was using a mouse? Theres KB+M support for this game?!??

Top Bottom