• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Fixed1979

scoobs said:
Ok i was just watching a video of some dude going 63-0... said he was using a mouse? Theres KB+M support for this game?!??

Probably the FragFX?
splitfish-fragfx-20070625042852350-000.jpg

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Kowak said:
p.s. i would love it if zipper just decided to flip the sver and raven maps. then we could see the ease at which sver would take down their own map.

edit;for the most part, i think you are right sver work better as a team but i think that is down to just the continued ease in which they can win.
I agree with that, especially while defending or attacking Raven on Dom.

phinious

I wish there were more squad leaders that actually had a plan in this game. They all seem to just frago a target and everyone runs off on their own. Also I dunno how many times I have medics run by me without taking the 1 second to resuscitate me;(

Ive played a couple matches where people actually work as a team and the game is way more fun. 95% of the time it feels like I am the only one trying to actually help my squadmates, and noone has a clear strategy to take a bunker.

ibu

Some great games tonight SVER, looking forward to joining you in the morrow.

Thank you and good night.

Lince

Banned
reading the Spanish forums today I noticed the MAG threads (buried in the 4th or 5th page) are filled with complains like these:

- too many "guiris" (foreigners) talking, so I just mute them all, including squad & platoon leaders etc

- sniper rifles not killing in one shot, lack of a thermal scope attachment

- secondary gun sucks

- knifing is useless

- too much time waiting at the spawn screen

- how do you get the fancy "harriers" and artillery strikes?

- maps too huge, don't know where to go

- no rewards for killing several guys in a row without dying

- all my friends are playing *insert generic bestseller shooter here*

- I'm trading the game today

so sad, Click would say they're not trained for MAG or have been trained for something else, let me just say I've spent 100+ hours playing MAG (betas and retail game) and still have to "enjoy" listening to hordes of 12-year olds singing or yelling through their headsets, God bless MAG.

cant play MAG tonight thanks to Telefónica de España, incompetentes.

KaYotiX

Banned
The more i play MAG the more it grows on me, its so nice not having to worry about a million things shooting you or dropping bombs every 5 seconds from the sky or granade launcher spam in small rooms.

I enjoy MW2 for what it is (unreal tournament in modern graphics) but i love actually having tactics to win games like in MAG where you actually work as a team.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Lince said:
- knifing is useless

Really? I think the knife is great in this game, get a lot of kills with it and since I'm a sniper it's usually what I switch to instead of my sidearm if someone gets close.

Lince

Banned
worldrevolution said:
Really? I think the knife is great in this game, get a lot of kills with it and since I'm a sniper it's usually what I switch to instead of my sidearm if someone gets close.

you know that, I know that, now go and tell the hordes of 12-year olds.

KaYotiX

Banned
People are just used to MW2's super knife of jumping skills on ice skates with magnet enhancements.

MAGs knife is good, one knife that boters me so far is in the BC2 demo.....its so slow when you press the button.

GodofWine

OK, I own MAG.

Even though the sounds are still 'meh', I do think they improved since the beta, as well as the overall look / movements of it...had fun in my first 'training death match'...

Soooooooo...which is the coolest GAF clan??? Im currently Raven, but not sure Im staying there or not...

Cagen

Violater said:
Dear god the BFBC2 controls are a mess after playing MAG for so long.
SVERGAF I am here

Not to turn this into a MAG vs. BFBC2 thread but I absolutely loath the gun play in BFBC2, the guns feel horrid to shoot with, even after playing MAG with it's lack luster sounding gunshots.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Are most of the people here gonna hit 60 and switch to a new PMC? I'm having a good time with ValorGAF but I wouldn't mind experiencing all of the perspectives as well as getting a cute little trophy ding eventually. It'd be pretty cool having all the GAF members shift around clans as well.

KZObsessed

Good wins as usual SVER GAF.

Lyulf you should just come join us and have some fun. When I played BFBC2 with aj he said he was gonna go SVER, so join and let's roll
KlintIndifference.gif

Liberty4all

Banned
Click said:
*sigh*

The great Lion Wolf reduced to a common GAF whiner.

Seriously bro, you should've stuck with us. Yeah, you played with SVER GAF (not even the whole team) for a while during the IGN tournament thing, but that was only on Sabotage. Then you decided it would be a great idea to wonder off into your little Valor "Kings" world and now you're just a pissed off forum monkey. :lol

I won't even argue about the skill vs. map advantage bullshit anymore. Believe what you want to believe. But I gotta comment on all the other garbage you said above.

MAG requires good teamwork, the ability to follow instructions, and good communication in order for players to experience the true potential of the game. Most FPS gamers these days have been trained to do the exact opposite of that. It's really not fair to blame the game or players for not being able to adapt and learn quickly. For some people, it takes a good amount of time to forget about what they've been trained to do for so long and learn what MAG has to offer. And MAG is only 1 and a half week old.

For the most part, SVER players seem more able to use good teamwork, follow instructions, and communicate well with each other. Most teams I've been on are well-coordinated and the majority of players know what to do. If they don't know what to do, we tell them and they USUALLY listen. We don't sit back at our spawn and try to snipe while 2 or 3 brave souls try to take over a bunker that's well-defended.... which is what I've seen time and again Valor and Raven players doing. We try not to blow up a bunker or asset, then leave it open for mechanics to repair 3 minutes later. If we do, we go back and blow it up again, then secure the area a while longer to make sure lone-wolf mechanics don't try and fix it again. We don't rush up to a bunker and turrets with our APCs, bum rushing the gate, expecting to survive long enough for the gate to be destroyed and our APC making it through the hell that's being rained upon it. We hide our APCs so we can use it as a traveling spawn point, instead of treating it like an indestructible tank. Our officers actually use their abilities correctly and usually at the right times, unlike most Raven and Valor, especially when they're on attack and use their abilities before the AA has been destroyed, lol.

I could go on and on, but you get the point. Again, you can believe what you want, but the simple fact is, SVER has more players that know how to play MAG and not just run around like the retards you're pissed about, acting like this is just another run-of-the-mill online shooter.

Sure, every faction has good / great players. But SVER has more. Blame it on map advantage like most people do, I don't care. But when it comes down to it, we win most of the games we play, whether it be on defense or attack. And we'll do the same on Valor side once enough people reach 60. Hopefully you'll last long enough to play with us again. If not, oh well. Just try not to soak your keyboard up with your bitter tears. :D

Personal attacks really aren't nessecary Click.

I think enough people from RavenGAF and ValorGAF have posted in here to make it pretty clear that there is a problem somewhere. I don't think anyone is saying that SVER doesn't have skilled players. I disagree though with the assertation that Raven and Valor have any less skilled players.

It's very obviously the maps. It's true that skilled Valor and Raven clans will make the right moves towards victory on the SVER Domination map. That doesn't change the fact that it's far harder to beat SVER on Domination than it is to beat Raven and Valor. Equal skill, map imbalance. We do win sometimes (rarely I would argue) but that's when the stars align, we have every squad doing the right thing. I personally feel that SVER doesn't have to fight as hard to win. I'm sure SVER GAF is filled with skilled and good players, but I am also just as sure the rest of SVER has just as many idiots as Raven and Valor.

Sure, Sver wins most of the Domination games they play. Raven and Valor would too if we had the auto win-super-easy-to-defend maps and SVER had OUR domination-map-of-lose for a change.

Regardless I'm looking forward to when some of you switch to Valor or Raven and see exactly what we are talking about. It's not personal, not an attack on your skill or anyone else as a player. The domination maps are imbalanced and this is a fact ....

Note that Raven is kicking ass on our Aquisition map ... so much so that the bulk of our population won't bother playing any other mode. Valor is the same chosing to play their balanced Sabotage map rather than face defeat after defeat on the imbalanced domination maps.

Hell we don't even win all the time on our balanced maps either. But at least they ARE balanced. With that said we (Raven) DO win on our aquisition map most of the time. It's our mad skillz you see ... we have the better acquisition players which are clearly better than any other PMC. Our PMC leadership and squad communication is unsurpassed, this is the reason we hold all the contracts (last I checked in this mode). =)

Click

Banned
Lince said:
reading the Spanish forums today I noticed the MAG threads (buried in the 4th or 5th page) are filled with complains like these:

The simple analysis would be that they didn't play enough of the game and I'll explain why...

Lince said:
- too many "guiris" (foreigners) talking, so I just mute them all, including squad & platoon leaders etc

Why he blocked the squad / platoon leaders is beyond me, unless they're also being retards on the mic or just don't know how to play their roles correctly. I only block the really annoying fuckers, not scoop everyone into 1 bucket and block them all if they're not all being stupid on the mic.

As for the "foreigners" talking part... umm, that's like all games. Unless the game has dedicated servers on each continent, and restricted each server, all games have people speaking in English except with a group / party of same language speakers. Not sure how this is a legitimate complaint. Even if you got Euros only servers, people would still primarily speak English. Just not American-style English.

Lince said:
- sniper rifles not killing in one shot, lack of a thermal scope attachment

3rd tier sniper rifles kill in 1 shot unless the target has Improved Health.... which would take them down to 17 HP with 1 hit.

People snipe too much as it is. Imagine if there's no counter for 1-shot sniper rifles. This game would be the most boring shit ever. Every weapon (accessories included) has a counter for it. Sniper rifle should be no different.

As for the thermal scope complaint. Not all games have all weapons and attachments. Would it have been nice to have in MAG? Probably. But it's easy enough to spot opponents in MAG. Map-wide UAV ability given to OICs, UAV fly-bys that squad leaders have, tracer bullets everywhere, and uh... you always know where your opponents generally are around. Bunkers, assets, objective points. Duh.

Lince said:
- secondary gun sucks

Again, he didn't upgrade it. Just like all weapons, they all start out pretty shitty, especially compared to players who have maxed out weapon trees. Once upgraded, handguns can actually be pretty deadly. Obviously nothing compared to the overpowered LMGs, but good enough to serve as an emergency weapon.

Lince said:
- knifing is useless

Same as above. I'm starting to see a pattern here...

Knifing is good because you won't alert enemies around the target you're trying to kill. Once upgraded, they can take out 3-4 people in a row if they're clustered together, without them even realizing someone's knifing their buddies the entire time. I've seen it done to me and I've done it to others. Fun shit.

Lince said:
- too much time waiting at the spawn screen

I've already responded to this in the IGN preview piece. If he doesn't have enough patience to wait an average of 8-9 seconds or wait a bit for a teammate to revive him, then I don't know what to say.

Lince said:
- how do you get the fancy "harriers" and artillery strikes?

Lince said:
- maps too huge, don't know where to go

Maybe follow your squad or look at your screen and go towards the flashing red / blue icons? Or play for more than 2 hours? LOL, wtf?

Lince said:
- no rewards for killing several guys in a row without dying

Ahh yes, every game from now on has to have Killstreak rewards so you can pwn the people you just pwn'd even more. Otherwise, it will be a penalty against the game. Unbelievable.

What ever happened to people loving the thrill of doing well in a game anymore? Let me tell you, the rush I get for getting a 20+ killstreak in MAG is much more rewarding than the times I got a 15+ killstreak in MW2. I know I didn't have to use auto-aim or the ridiculous amount of unfair Killstreak rewards to help me get there.

Lince said:
- all my friends are playing *insert generic bestseller shooter here*

Yeah, so are mine. Every real-life friend or relative I know are still playing MW2. Good for them. I really liked it but after playing MAG, there's no way I can go back.

Lince said:
so sad, Click would say they're not trained for MAG or have been trained for something else, let me just say I've spent 100+ hours playing MAG (betas and retail game) and still have to "enjoy" listening to hordes of 12-year olds singing or yelling through their headsets, God bless MAG.

Nah, I would say what I just did above.

Oh, and if you're really that bothered by immature players, then why don't you just take your mic / headset off, block them, and/or play with just SVER GAF (which you do)? Annoying people on mics are in all online games that have mics enabled. Not sure why it should be an exclusive complaint against MAG.

dorkimoe

Cagen said:
Not to turn this into a MAG vs. BFBC2 thread but I absolutely loath the gun play in BFBC2, the guns feel horrid to shoot with, even after playing MAG with it's lack luster sounding gunshots.
i was a huge bc fan. couldnt wait for bc2, I dont know if its because im used to cod and mag, but im not liking bc2 :(. i did just rape the entire team with a sniper though haha

back on topic though. Just played a few mag games, was going for ribbons, I get sad when i do what it tells me to and it doesnt give it to me :(

Click

Banned
Bamelin said:

Stuff.

I don't think you caught on to the fact that me and Lyulf fuck with each other all the time...

I wasn't personally attacking him. And the smileys...

Some really good rounds there SVER GAF. Real nice to have the revives etc. that I don't get in PUGs. Wish we had gotten an attack map at some point, it did wear on me standing around defending the same bit of turf for 30 minutes. Kinda funny to watch everyone leap at the chance to go help the squad next door in a desperate attempt to find someone to kill.

How does the scoring on killing APC's work? I spent most of that last match pumping RPGs into those things and barely ever got points for it. Seemed stingy.

click said:
Oh, and if you're really that bothered by immature players, then why don't you just take your mic / headset off, block them, and/or play with just SVER GAF (which you do)? Annoying people on mics are in all online games that have mics enabled. Not sure why it should be an exclusive complaint against MAG.

I think he misworded that, I think he was trying to say "He has YET to enjoy listening to 12 year olds etc. etc."

Don't want to put words in peoples mouths though, could be wrong etc. etc.

Click

Banned
PedroLumpy said:
How does the scoring on killing APC's work? I spent most of that last match pumping RPGs into those things and barely ever got points for it. Seemed stingy.

Person who destroys the APC gets the points. Kind of unfair, but that's how it's done.
If you're a point whore, just wait until it's been hit a good amount of times, then fire your load, lol.

PedroLumpy said:
I think he misworded that, I think he was trying to say "He has YET to enjoy listening to 12 year olds etc. etc."

Don't want to put words in peoples mouths though, could be wrong etc. etc.

Yeah, maybe. Or he might've been sarcastic. Not sure. Them Euros sure are strange. :D

Click said:
Person who destroys the APC gets the points. Kind of unfair, but that's how it's done.
If you're a point whore, just wait until it's been hit a good amount of times, then fire your load, lol.

Well I like points as much as the next guy, but someone has to shoot it first. C'est la vie. Although I'm way behind SVER GAF in exp I think, old news I imagine but I saw Jrez hit veteran and probably already past my level.

---

Anyone use the motion sensor? Working up that tier now, kinda curious how useful it is. Really wanna see how it works on attacking some of those more cluttered maps.

So another night and the numbers are still dropping. Ravens playing domination now in the 800's, with close to 3k sver playing it. Raven all playing Acquisition which Sver is not. And Valor has majority of it's player base playing Sabotage. Though Valor seems to have the most well balanced spread of players across modes. SVER and Raven just seem to be getting worse and worse in splitting their player bases between modes.

Das-J

Law of the West
fry said:
My buddy swears by the motion sensor. I believe it weighs 800c, which I can't imagine carrying.

That + Sensor Jammer are BRUTAL in close quarters... I just run around the Primary Objectives with my shotgun cleaning up! :lol

J-Rzez

g35twinturbo said:
I enjoy the game but damn does the controls feel off to me for some reason :(

Lack of auto-aim, which plagues every other shooter out there on consoles basically. You have to earn your kills here.

The way the aiming works in this game, if there was a quality "mouse" controller out there, they'd have a real advantage.

Got all my Counter Strike and SOCOM buddies hooked now lol.

J-Rzez

BattleMonkey said:
So another night and the numbers are still dropping. Ravens playing domination now in the 800's, with close to 3k sver playing it. Raven all playing Acquisition which Sver is not. And Valor has majority of it's player base playing Sabotage. Though Valor seems to have the most well balanced spread of players across modes. SVER and Raven just seem to be getting worse and worse in splitting their player bases between modes.

Everytime I played Valor in the past, they would naturally attract ex/current military or SOCOM players (countless country music lovers too lol), they never say die. When I was on Raven, it was packed with Kids and Rappers, I can see them jumping ship to another faction, or going back to MW2.

KZObsessed

I'm gonna grind my way to lvl 60 with the LMG then I'm gonna repec and try out all the options. :D

So if I suck (more than usual) when I'm at level 60 that'll be why :p

I'm looking forward to trying a stealth class most. Assault rifle or SMG with silencer. Motion sensor maybe. I spent an acquisition game the other day, (one I knew we would win from the beginning) sneaking around the map knifing 3-4 people at once and it was great fun.

J-Rzez said:
Everytime I played Valor in the past, they would naturally attract ex/current military or SOCOM players (countless country music lovers too lol), they never say die. When I was on Raven, it was packed with Kids and Rappers, I can see them jumping ship to another faction, or going back to MW2.

I'm not exactly sure which rappers are playing this game, I have yet to meet any.

J-Rzez

BattleMonkey said:
I'm not exactly sure which rappers are playing this game, I have yet to meet any.

SouljaFoRealz and the sort either blasting rap, or actually freestyling into the mic the whole time.

GodofWine

Why do I like this way more than I liked it in the beta? Did they really improve the frame rate or something?? I dunno, but yea, good stuff...hope it catches on and gives these other mindless shooters a good run.

I need to find a MAG for dummies guide though..LOTS going on in this one.

Good games again SVERGAF. I gotta go to bed now. Managing to repairing the AAA TWICE while Raven are parachuting down on top us was hilarious.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
nice games tonight svergaf. and yeah, i was so tired of defending. We got rocked that one sabotage game tho :p Sure, we held B for about 5 or 6 minutes, but were owned the other 14. Too bad A sucked.

J-Rzez said:

I guess it match the game's story at least:lol

Ravens are the kids with expensive toys

Valor are the old school veteran

SVER are the rebel...?( although I choose SVER because the story said it's mainly comprised from Asia and other country)

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Bamelin said:

I think enough people from RavenGAF and ValorGAF have posted in here to make it pretty clear that there is a problem somewhere. I don't think anyone is saying that SVER doesn't have skilled players. I disagree though with the assertation that Raven and Valor have any less skilled players.

It's very obviously the maps. It's true that skilled Valor and Raven clans will make the right moves towards victory on the SVER Domination map. That doesn't change the fact that it's far harder to beat SVER on Domination than it is to beat Raven and Valor. Equal skill, map imbalance. We do win sometimes (rarely I would argue) but that's when the stars align, we have every squad doing the right thing. I personally feel that SVER doesn't have to fight as hard to win. I'm sure SVER GAF is filled with skilled and good players, but I am also just as sure the rest of SVER has just as many idiots as Raven and Valor.

Sure, Sver wins most of the Domination games they play. Raven and Valor would too if we had the auto win-super-easy-to-defend maps and SVER had OUR domination-map-of-lose for a change.

Regardless I'm looking forward to when some of you switch to Valor or Raven and see exactly what we are talking about. It's not personal, not an attack on your skill or anyone else as a player. The domination maps are imbalanced and this is a fact ....

Note that Raven is kicking ass on our Aquisition map ... so much so that the bulk of our population won't bother playing any other mode. Valor is the same chosing to play their balanced Sabotage map rather than face defeat after defeat on the imbalanced domination maps.

Hell we don't even win all the time on our balanced maps either. But at least they ARE balanced. With that said we (Raven) DO win on our aquisition map most of the time. It's our mad skillz you see ... we have the better acquisition players which are clearly better than any other PMC. Our PMC leadership and squad communication is unsurpassed, this is the reason we hold all the contracts (last I checked in this mode). =)
I agree with every single thing you posted.. But alas it's going to fall on deaf ears. I wonder how Raven is winning on Acq? Last I checked Raven is filled with 12 year old, MW2 loving scums. :lol

When I play with Raven, I rarely encounter any discrimination against me because of my gender. But I can't count the times I've run into jerks on SVER, for various reasons including my gender... So much that I stopped using my mic. Does that mean that there's something about SVER that always attracts major assholes? Yeah.. See how ridiculous that sounds? Just as ridiculous as saying Raven attracts kids or MW2 fans.

I'm liking Valor music. Thought it was just shitty country but it's more country+metal-ish!! :D Raven's music is more techno+metal-ish. I love SVER's too, it was already posted I think. Apocalyptica is my MOST favourite band EVER!!!

Liberty4all

Banned
So tonight we discovered SVER glitching the barrier doors to their control points on their domination map. We laid charges on the outside of the barrier doors to the control points multiple times only to have it disarmed from the inside every single time. (unless you are supposed to be able to disarm from the other side of the door?????)

I'm done with Domination until this shit is fixed. Bad enough the maps are imbalanced to hell and back, now we can't even set charges to get inside.

J-Rzez

Can't wait until we're all up there high enough to switch to Valor or Raven, put this "lop-sided" maps thing to rest.

dorkimoe

J-Rzez said:
Can't wait until we're all up there high enough to switch to Valor or Raven, put this "lop-sided" maps thing to rest.

what do you mean high enough?

Man that RPG ribbon was easier than i thought. I was pretty much sniping people with the RPG lol. As long as someone is standing still, I can arc it perfectly to just blow them up

J-Rzez

dorkimoe said:
what do you mean high enough?

Man that RPG ribbon was easier than i thought. I was pretty much sniping people with the RPG lol. As long as someone is standing still, I can arc it perfectly to just blow them up

When you hit lvl 60 you can switch PMCs, and go into veteran mode. I think me and Click are in veteran mode right now.

Top Bottom