• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

does anyone have a screen cap of this latest build?

interested to see how the graphics have improved if at all since the november gamestop beta.

looked pretty rough then, hoping they tightened it up since then.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I'm not English (even though I live in England), but I CAN speak english. I don't speak much, though, unless I absolutely have to, still feel a bit awkward talking to my tv. Plus I had a few weird experiences in KZ2, like people going "GOD!! How old are you, KID?!?" "Are you REALLY a girl?" It gets irritating after a while. I Seriously don't think that I sound like a kid!! GOD! Makes me want to TK people.

I'm more vocal when Dan has a mic, though. We're both waiting for the headset bundle thing.

Kowak

Banned
Violater said:
Ok this Valor = racist hillbilly needs to stop.

Otherwise Valor GAF will hunt you down in the middle of the night

1101hillbillybrigade.jpg

Noshino

Vinci said:
The second highest EXP score I've ever achieved was as a sniper on Darien Network. I got nearly 300. Had to kill a LOT of people to get that much though, but I got Frago bonuses throughout. But yes, generally you'll get more running a Med Kit and Assault loadout.

See, this is the stuff that you should put on your resume, not freaking "I might teamkill you" :lol

Kowak said:
thats impressive, i cant think of any decent plays to snipe on raven sabotage. Valor have some pretty decent places, the top of their towers and in the church tower, plus C is sweet. Raven c is absolutely shit, you cant get any good vantage points while still defending, and if you try to snipe on the second level you will get done by the grenades they throw coming towards it.

I personall;y dont like sniping, i dont have the patience or skill for it. i like to try and muck it about with assault rifle and med kit. although snipers do have an important part to play.

I don't like sniping either, although sniping with the RPG is quite fun :lol

As for Raven's C, yah, worst place to defend. But last night, we had an awesome team (it was a french clan 2F4 or something like that), they were taking down people left and right, and then someone asked where they were, the 2 of them were snipping all the way from C :lol

Vinci

Danish
Noshino said:
See, this is the stuff that you should put on your resume, not freaking "I might teamkill you" :lol

Not true: The one time you and I played together, I did in fact teamkill you. I rez'd you afterwards, but yeah... it still said, "[GAF]Mezzaerin -> [GAF]NoshinoOR" on my screen. We were moving towards A on Syr along the rooftops and a group of SVER guys were pinning us down. I was waiting for a guy to pop out to take him down and you moved into my line of fire just as he did.

BOOM. DEAD.

:lol :lol

Noshino

Vinci said:
Not true: The one time you and I played together, I did in fact teamkill you. I rez'd you afterwards, but yeah... it still said, "[GAF]Mezzaerin -> [GAF]NoshinoOR" on my screen. We were moving towards A on Syr along the rooftops and a group of SVER guys were pinning us down. I was waiting for a guy to pop out to take him down and you moved into my line of fire just as he did.

BOOM. DEAD.

:lol :lol

uh

oh

you sob

:C

its alright, on Syr, my hatred is completly focused on SVER and Zipper people, no time to hate on others :lol

Vinci

Danish
Noshino said:
its alright, on Syr, my hatred is completly focused on SVER and Zipper people, no time to hate on others :lol

Mine is mostly on Zipper, on Syr anyway. Generally speaking, I think SVER players are very good and communicate well. Just wish they'd stop shooting me so much. :lol

KZObsessed

TheFatOne said:
Not really people want to be in specific PMC's. Eventually you know what is going to happen. There will be like 10-20 people who actually play regularly. At that point we should all join one clan. It's going to be impossible in the beginning to get everyone to join one clan. After about a month we could do it once we figure out who is going to keep playing this game.

Indeed but it seems you can't so easily switch PMCs. You have to be at the top level before you can get approached to defect (correct?) or you have to delete your character and start from scratch. Just makes sense to start with as many in one PMC as possible, considering how few will probably stick around after a while. All I know is every game playing with clueless randoms is one game towards me quitting. :p

KZObsessed

Inanna Dan said:
I'm not English (even though I live in England), but I CAN speak english. I don't speak much, though, unless I absolutely have to, still feel a bit awkward talking to my tv. Plus I had a few weird experiences in KZ2, like people going "GOD!! How old are you, KID?!?" "Are you REALLY a girl?" It gets irritating after a while. I Seriously don't think that I sound like a kid!! GOD! Makes me want to TK people.

I'm more vocal when Dan has a mic, though. We're both waiting for the headset bundle thing.

Sorry about continually asking that I was just surprised! :lol

are you really a g-g-g-girl?

Vinci

Danish
Arnie said:
North west England actually. :D

Oh, quit pretending... 'beyond me,' a Dr. Pepper avatar? South. Definitely the South.

That, or you're one culturally confused Englishman. ;)

Arnie

Vinci said:
Oh, quit pretending... 'beyond me,' a Dr. Pepper avatar? South. Definitely the South.

Ah jus love me some Dr Pepper.

Review embargo is Monday 25th January 5.00pm GMT / 6.00pm CET / 9.00am PST.

If anyone has any questions about the game they want put to Zipper, let me now before tomorrow. I'm at the launch tooo.

Vinci

Danish
JonathanEx said:

If anyone has any questions about the game they want put to Zipper, let me now before tomorrow. :D

Dear Zipper,

Could you maybe buff the Raven equipment a bit? It doesn't feel superior to the other factions in the slightest - and that's sort of Raven's calling card, so... how about it?

Love oodles,
Mezzaerin (Vinci)

Kowak

Banned
Vinci said:

WTF????? i am fron london i have never seen anybody drink dr pepper

JonathanEx said:

If anyone has any questions about the game they want put to Zipper, let me now before tomorrow. I'm at the launch tooo.
All I want to know is how they're going to handle post-release content. Are they going to sell map packs like other shooters? Or do they have... other plans?

JonathanEx said:

Get friggin' clarification on what they really think about any SVER map imbalance and what they intend to do about it if the retail players start to become vocal about the alleged issue.

Vinci

Danish
Kowak said:

Are you saying WTF to me or to him? I assumed he wasn't European because of the Dr. Pepper avatar. Didn't even know it was sold there.

Anerythristic said:
Get friggin' clarification on what they really think about any SVER map imbalance and what they intend to do about it if the retail players start to become vocal about the alleged issue.

They became 'vocal' in a sense when SVER started outnumbering the other factions in the tourney. That's a response.

Arnie

Kowak said:
Are you kidding? I have drunk it all my life, it's like coke, but superior. I've been to London numerous times and had no trouble walking into a shop and buying a fresh can. Dr Pepper, serious business.

Which faction have the best sniper rifles? I remember the SVD being decent from the beta, however I also remember the M14EBR being a beast for Valor.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
templeusox said:
Yea, no shit. Raven screwed again. We will persist.
Can you believe people (SVER!) were actually complaining about Raven being over-powered during first few beta phases?

Raven shall rise again! I salute each and every one of my Raven brethren and sistren, for not coping out by switching to the dark side, taking an easy way out. Our paths may be tougher, our numbers may be fewer and our futures may be screwd-er. Yet we have pride, courage, uber skills and good hygiene. As long as we have that, and as long as we stick together, we shall never be defeated. >:|

GO RAVEN!

Noshino

Inanna Dan said:
Can you believe people (SVER!) were actually complaining about Raven being over-powered during first few beta phases?

Raven shall rise again! I salute each and every one of my Raven brethren and sistren, for not coping out by switching to the dark side, taking an easy way out. Our paths may be tougher, our numbers may be fewer and our futures may be screwd-er. Yet we have pride, courage, uber skills and good hygiene. As long as we have that, and as long as we stick together, we shall never be defeated. >:|

GO RAVEN!

:lol

Syr is dirty as hell

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
FFObsessed said:
Sorry about continually asking that I was just surprised! :lol

are you really a g-g-g-girl?

GAFe was surprisingly cool about having a newbie girl player in their clan. I'm actually talking about randoms. Although, I do remember Raist getting, ummm, a tiny bit worked up when I killed him once or twice. :p

J-Rzez

I can tell you this much as far as sniping goes. It's tough to find some decent spots on maps sometimes. Even then, for example with the current sabotage mode now, Point C has barely any useful spots to snipe from unless you're Valor on their map, or attacking SVER's C. Usually you can find a spot to snipe when on A and B, but everything locks down on C.

I can also tell you this much too, it sucks going 42-3 and only getting 300xp for it. The need to work in another bonus, like a "long shot +2/3" when killing people with a sniper at range perhaps.

Also, don't bother sniping off the bat. It's not worth it until you can have enough skill points to max it out in one shot via respec. Not having a proper scope and the final sniper rifle means you have some tough times on your hands.

I know it's nice to have a good sniper as you can really help out greatly, be it shutting down a couple routes, forcing the enemy to go elsewhere, or helping clean out the objective area (when maps allow this). Also they can "spot" for you. But the game doesn't reward snipers enough, and with everyone using heavy armor and extra hp, you need headshots. I mean, I love doing it, it's a challenge and satisfying, but it sucks seeing others getting 3x's the XP as you for going 10-18.

Oh.. about those LMGs. Something needs to be done about those things. It's not SVERs either, but all three need to be adjusted. Nothing like being sniped by those things, or watching them mow down 6 people all with headshots from thin air.

Vinci

Danish
J-Rzez said:
*sniping woes*

Absolutely, they should add in some extra benefits. That said, maybe they didn't because they didn't want a bunch of folks going sniper by default. Not sure, but yeah...

Oh.. about those LMGs. Something needs to be done about those things. It's not SVERs either, but all three need to be adjusted. Nothing like being sniped by those things, or watching them mow down 6 people all with headshots from thin air.

I see them in Syr a lot. A small group of guys will pin down entire squads with those damn things.

oktarb

Inanna Dan said:

GAFe was surprisingly cool about having a newbie girl player in their clan. I'm actually talking about randoms. Although, I do remember Raist getting, ummm, a tiny bit worked up when I killed him once or twice. :p

Team killing happens to the best of us. Intentional team killing is a one way trip to gamer hell. (in gamer hell you have to play naked Wii Fit with Jack Thompson).

If I accidentally kill a brother in arms I try to make up for it by saving them at some point in the match. They may not notice but I can karmically wash the board clean.

jorma

is now taking requests
idk, increasing the bonuses for snipers will only create more snipers and i'm not sure that is a good thing at this point to be honest, even though i like sniping myself.

and they're not really getting the same xp you do for going 10-18, they're getting it for healing people (most likely)

Vinci

Danish
jorma said:
idk, increasing the bonuses for snipers will only create more snipers and i'm not sure that is a good thing at this point to be honest, even though i like sniping myself.

A team with nothing but snipers isn't going to win, so let them try to take advantage if they like.

and they're not really getting the same xp you do for going 10-18, they're getting it for healing people (most likely)

Yeah, but who is a sniper going to heal? If someone is opting to take up a tactical position and remove themselves from the chance to heal or get much in the way of Frago bonuses, they shouldn't be punished for that.

J-Rzez

jorma said:

Well yeah, they're just running around and healing everyone. Many of times they won't even shoot at people, and they just run around with the med kit. They know if you go in the frago area and use the defib or spray they'll rack up more points than killing people. I've actually watched one enemy go into the base, kill that one person actually fighting up there, then slaughter all the medics running around with their defibs in hand, and not their weapons. At that point, they certainly are not helping the team.

Vinci said:
Absolutely, they should add in some extra benefits. That said, maybe they didn't because they didn't want a bunch of folks going sniper by default. Not sure, but yeah...

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. It's a shame since sniping is so fun here.

jorma

is now taking requests
Vinci said:
A team with nothing but snipers isn't going to win, so let them try to take advantage if they like.

Yeah, but who is a sniper going to heal? If someone is opting to take up a tactical position and remove themselves from the chance to heal or get much in the way of Frago bonuses, they shouldn't be punished for that.

I'm not disagreeing with the fact that snipers are under-rewarded, i'm just not sure it's a good idea to encourage even more snipers at this point (this point for me being the open beta)

edit: and i'm not really disagreeing with the fact that medics are over-rewarded either. but i saw footage from an earlier beta and it seemed like they used to get 15 xp per revive so they already nerfed it once.. and decreasing xp revives even further does not seem unlikely at all imo.
(the same interview stated that zipper were really surprised that so many went medic, so i guess they wanted to encourage people to go medic early on)

Vinci

Danish
jorma said:
I'm not disagreeing with the fact that snipers are under-rewarded, i'm just not sure it's a good idea to encourage even more snipers at this point (this point for me being the open beta)

Raven seems to be the only faction with a hard-on for snipers at this point, and that will thin out over time as people realize that's not how you level or help your team the most. Hell, I'd be happy if they set a special bonus for snipers that's hard to achieve but rewards a great deal of experience: Headshot 20 people with the sniper rifle in a round. Something along those lines.

Most snipers right now, particularly on Raven's side, are going for center mass rather than headshots - so that's not easily achievable for anyone except those who know what they're doing. [I'm not claiming I do, FWIW.]

EDIT: If you want to do well in MAG, everyone on your squad should be able to Rez. Period. If they can't, you're going to lose constantly - and that's more of a reward for doing it than the exp bonus you get, IMO.

jorma

is now taking requests
Yeah, Raven is the only faction i played so my opinion should obviously be seen in that light

KZObsessed

Inanna Dan said:

That's just because he got aroused. He's kinky like that. :lol

Belgian you see.

Violater

Vinci said:
I see them in Syr a lot. A small group of guys will pin down entire squads with those damn things.

Gas the fuckers out man.
Gas gas gas, see them run, snipers pick them off, your LMG runs in cleans up the stragglers, medics come behind resses everyone. Snipers keep the enemy from re advancing.
Fuck I gotta write a playbook.
26th needs to be here now, I'm getting pumped.

Top Bottom