• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Vinci

Danish
TheFallen said:
It's a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy. When you give up on a mode saying it's imbalanced, you'll become rusty while the other PMCs sit there and learn new strategies and master the maps. That "advantage" becomes even larger over time.

You expect people to play modes they don't enjoy out of some sort of masochistic competitive flair? Are you serious? I mean, if they're getting paid to do so, sure. But in a game?

uraldix

Vennt said:
You want to know why they give up?

When it comes up as "Raven Defending" or "Raven Attacking SVER" sometimes as much as half of the squad quit straight away, I've entered a Raven Dom match with just three left in the squad before the round starts, the rest put up a small fight and then those that are left (maybe 40-50 players out of 128) think sod it, may as well try for some XP but under no illusions we'll win.

I have noticed that same quitting trend on SVER in some games. I will join a game and 1 squad is completely gone. Zipper should implement something that holds off the start of the game if too many people leave and give an XP hit to those that leave early once the game has started.

Vinci said:
You expect people to play modes they don't enjoy out of some sort of masochistic competitive flair? Are you serious? I mean, if they're getting paid to do so, sure. But in a game?

He doesn't say that he expects people to play, only that the problem will get worse as time goes on because they aren't playing.

jorma

is now taking requests
TheFallen said:
When did I say it's not worth trying? I never did. You realize you're just agreeing with what I said? All I said was that there'd always be some sort of complaint if they attempted any balancing of any sort (see: Blizzard), but it will never be balanced 50/50 like a flip of the coin as someone was arguing.

Who was arguing that? And if you intend to say it was me, you should probably read it again.

Vinci

Danish
uraldix said:
He doesn't say that he expects people to play, only that the problem will get worse as time goes on because they aren't playing.

But what is being suggested is that they shouldn't abandon a mode because it allows the imbalance to increase, but that contradicts basic human nature, especially as clearly visible in any online game. People will always go where they achieve success more often, particularly if they feel alternative options are simply unfair to them from the go. That's why the PMCs are congregating around certain modes. They want to increase their chance to win, to level, and not fall far behind their enemies by fighting in modes they perceive to be stacked against them.

dorkimoe

J-Rzez said:
When you hit lvl 60 you can switch PMCs, and go into veteran mode. I think me and Click are in veteran mode right now.

so you dont lose your original character?

ps- u guys need to play with me again :(

phinious

Having played the game for only a week. The whole SVER skill/map debate is really easy to figure out.

SVER players in general seem to own me harder than Valor players. I am just comparing matches where we are defending to make it fair. I have no idea what its like in a SVER squad, but a majority of the Raven squads I have been in have no leadership going on. Many times the squads don't even have a leader assigned. I find it rediculous to think that all the good players went to SVER, but maybe they somehow do communicate better.

The SVER maps do seem easier to defend in general though. I do not know whether a good leader could circumvent them, because I've never had the privilage of being in a group with one.

The domination map for Raven is definately rediculous to try and defend. Defending sabotage or aqcuisition maps is way more fun. If you lose attacking Raven in Dom, its not because those particular squads defending are amazing, its because your platoon is not very good. Sorry thats the truth. The real test of your skill is how fast you own us in that map:)

All of this is anecdotal evidence though, and just my opinion. SVER are generally a bit better, AND their maps seem a bit easier to defend. I can't wait till some badass squad leaders step forward though and can lead me to victory. I would be glad to welcome some expert SVER leaders into Raven.

I will say that playing with Raven Gaf is much better than playing with pugs though. My personal win/loss ratio goes way up with Raven Gaf.

dorkimoe

phinious said:
I will say that playing with Raven Gaf is much better than playing with pugs though. My personal win/loss ratio goes way up with Raven Gaf.

pretty much how i feel even on SVER

unless im in kill everyone i see mode

TheFallen

Vinci said:
But what is being suggested is that they shouldn't abandon a mode because it allows the imbalance to increase, but that contradicts basic human nature, especially as clearly visible in any online game. People will always go where they achieve success more often, particularly if they feel alternative options are simply unfair to them from the go. That's why the PMCs are congregating around certain modes. They want to increase their chance to win, to level, and not fall far behind their enemies by fighting in modes they perceive to be stacked against them.
I never suggested it. I was simply saying that it will continue to get worse. uraldix understood.

jorma said:
Who was arguing that? And if you intend to say it was me, you should probably read it again.
Is this below quote not saying the game should be 50/50?
jorma said:
It's not at all moot when 50/50 turns into 80/20 (or whatever the stats is) from day 1 of retail release.

uraldix

Vinci said:
They want to increase their chance to win, to level, and not fall far behind their enemies by fighting in modes they perceive to be stacked against them.

I agree but the fact is that they will become worse in the other modes because they never play them. That is the point that was being made and it happens to be true. We all have a tendency to move to something new if we don't think we can win.

I am not blaming anyone, just pointing that what was said is true.

Vinci

Danish
TheFallen said:
I never suggested it. I was simply saying that it will continue to get worse. uraldix understood.

Then you're agreeing with jorma and the others. Okay. Sorry I misunderstood.

PuMa

Anerythristic said:
ummm,today... Raven seems to be dominating Acquistion, Valor... Sabotage and SVER Domination. What's up with that? :lol

Are you still stuck at home? God damn am I jealous...

GodofWine

Is there an unofficial guide anywhere for this game??? Its not impossible to figure out, but I got too many little questions to ask here (since this is now the Fuuuuuuuuuu Sver Fuuuuuuuuuuu Raven thread).

One question...the 'points' you can spend on 'stuff'...how are those awarded? by rank / by exp / by something else???

Oh, Sniper hunting is the balls...I dont even know what map it was, but some dude was sniping from the way outer limit, and I spent a good 5-7 minutes hunting him and his occasional red blip...it was so fun...I got him :)

Vinci

Danish
GodofWine said:
Is there an unofficial guide anywhere for this game??? Its not impossible to figure out, but I got too many little questions to ask here (since this is now the Fuuuuuuuuuu Sver Fuuuuuuuuuuu Raven thread).

The official MAG forums are actually pretty helpful. Should check 'em out.

One question...the 'points' you can spend on 'stuff'...how are those awarded? by rank / by exp / by something else???

Experience levels you. Each level gives you a skill point to spend.

J-Rzez

andycapps said:
Well, the more the merrier if any of you come over to Raven. Why do you all have to go to the same PMC? Why not split up and have different people taste the waters of different PMC's?

Because what good is Voltron without one of it's lions? We're a well oiled machine of death and destruction that plays incredibly well together. And, we all get along. Why break it up?

J-Rzez said:
Because what good is Voltron without one of it's lions? We're a well oiled machine of death and destruction that plays incredibly well together. And, we all get along. Why break it up?

Like this?

voltron-on-crutches.jpg

:lol

theBishop

Banned
Had my first full-on in-game crash last night. Was gonna keep playing around 1:30AM (Est), but just stopped instead.

Also, nobody in the group could hear eachother until the game started loading. In the menu/queue, it was total silence.

The "wtf, I can't get out of the APC" bug was still in full-effect.

From my perspective, the patch has made things worse.

And finally: Why can SVER defuse C4 on the gate from behind the gate (domination)? This (bug?) is reason enough to simply disconnect.

theBishop said:
Had my first full-on in-game crash last night. Was gonna keep playing around 1:30AM (Est), but just stopped instead.

Also, nobody in the group could hear eachother until the game started loading. In the menu/queue, it was total silence.

The "wtf, I can't get out of the APC" bug was still in full-effect.

From my perspective, the patch has made things worse.

And finally: Why can SVER defuse C4 on the gate from behind the gate (domination)? This (bug?) is reason enough to simply disconnect.

Yeah, i believe I was in the same game as you bishop...was sitting behind cover healing myself and noticed my health wouldn't go back up...until i was kicked off MAG...and then PSN...had to reboot my PS3 to get back in.

Violater

theBishop said:

Ahhh preeeety sure I have seen valor do the same thing, yup.
BC that's where I fist learned how to do it during the beta and they have been doing it on domination.
You have to know exactly where to kneel down and move slowly.

Violater said:
BC that's where I fist learned how to do it during the beta and they have been doing it on domination.

Wow...why hasn't it been logged as a bug? or has it been known and just not fixed?

Vinci

Danish
Violater said:

They haven't fixed that? I heard about that during beta and tourney, but never saw it done myself.

andycapps

J-Rzez said:

Haha, well just join us on Raven next then. You guys will likely lap me anyway. I think I'm at a 17 or 18 now. Just don't have the time or energy after my other obligations to put into leveling like some of you seem to. :D

Vinci

Danish
andycapps said:
Haha, well just join us on Raven next then. You guys will likely lap me anyway. I think I'm at a 17 or 18 now. Just don't have the time or energy after my other obligations to put into leveling like some of you seem to. :D

Sarcastic SVER Response said:
Suck Less, Win More

And yes, SVER folks, I am only kidding.

Finally got to sit down and play last night. Im on Sver Gaf, but i didnt get a chance to play with you guys. It was pretty much and half and half with games one.

I played mostly with my buddy thats in another clan. if your in seperate clans can you not talk in the menu screen??? id press triangle and we were in the same group, but couldnt talk till we actually got in a game.

theBishop

Banned
andycapps said:

You're only at 18 since launch? What's your average XP for a round? I've seen people get to level 15 in a day or two without playing too hard.

theBishop

Banned
Violater said:

It happened for 3 different gates last night. My platoon was supposed to get G and H, but SVER would defuse any C4 we planted. In the end, I directed the platoon to C.

theBishop said:
You're only at 18 since launch? What's your average XP for a round? I've seen people get to level 15 in a day or two without playing too hard.

I'm only 22 since launch...and i average around 150-200 xp / round....that's probably not that good lol....

i only really have an hour or 2 a day to play, so i understand andycapp's situation.

andycapps

surefire1982 said:
I'm only 22 since launch...and i average around 150-200 xp / round....that's probably not that good lol....

i only really have an hour or 2 a day to play, so i understand andycapp's situation.

This ^. Depends on the round and if I'm playing with a ton of Gaffers.. If it's an almost full GAF squad I tend to get 300-500. If not, seem to get somewhere around 150 XP. Lot of that seems to be because pub squads don't revive nearly as much which makes me spend more time waiting to respawn and running back to the action.

theBishop

Banned
surefire1982 said:

200XP isn't bad. Especially if you don't have leadership abilities. I guess you just need to play more games. Thing is with Andycapps, I feel like I'm playing with him a lot.

theBishop

Banned
TrAcEr_x90 said:
whats up with not being able to chat in the menu? do you have to be in the same clan or something?

You didn't 2 days ago. Dunno if this is a bug or what. It doesn't make me warm inside though.

Anerythristic said:
ummm,today... Raven seems to be dominating Acquistion, Valor... Sabotage and SVER Domination. What's up with that? :lol

It's been like that for like 4 days now. Also those modes each have the most of each player base from those factions. Players are migrating towards the modes which they tend the win the most at.

Click

Banned
phinious said:
Does veteran mode reset your repec costs?

Yes. It goes back down and starts at 3,000 XP for your first respec again.

Oh, AND you get to keep all the respec points you've earned prior to entering Veteran Mode.
Kinda like rollover minutes. :lol

I can probably respec like 20+ times now...

TrAcEr_x90 said:
Finally got to sit down and play last night. Im on Sver Gaf, but i didnt get a chance to play with you guys. It was pretty much and half and half with games one.

I played mostly with my buddy thats in another clan. if your in seperate clans can you not talk in the menu screen??? id press triangle and we were in the same group, but couldnt talk till we actually got in a game.

If you (or anyone else) wants to play with the clan, look at the games of the people online are playing. Tally up which map most are playing and that's probably the game you want to join. This is the best way to play in the same game as us (you may not see us at all though), so you get out of the game when we do. After we get out, PSN message one of us with an "Invite please" or something like that... if we haven't already invited you to the party.

If you can't join the same game as us (full game or whatever), you can either wait or queue up for another game. But if you queue up, you may miss out on a party invite because we usually don't wait for people that are already playing a game.

The only thing that sucks is, if our party is full, which a lot of the time, it is in SVER GAF. If this happens, try to start another party if it looks like there's a good amount of SVER GAF on. Or, just play by yourself. Sorry, but this is how we gotta do it until Zipper allows for multi-squad parties to play with each other.

BTW, you can talk to one another once in a party. It just doesn't show who's talking, but it works. At first, I also thought you couldn't talk in a party prior to getting into a game.

Madman

Violater said:
Nope. It was there in the beta, but not anymore. At least from my experience.

Click

Banned
Vennt said:
You want to know why they give up?

When it comes up as "Raven Defending" or "Raven Attacking SVER" sometimes as much as half of the squad quit straight away, I've entered a Raven Dom match with just three left in the squad before the round starts, the rest put up a small fight and then those that are left (maybe 40-50 players out of 128) think sod it, may as well try for some XP but under no illusions we'll win.

It's nothing to do with skill, go look at the Acquisition games, same game dynamics, different maps, no quitters & plenty of teamwork. Keep telling yourselves it's not the map and it's skill, but really, it isn't.

:lol I'm laughing so hard here...

The game icechai was describing, the opposing team actually gave us a run for our money when the game first started. They bum rushed us and did pretty well, I think blowing up a bunker or 2. But after we drove them back ONCE, they seemed to have all quit or something. They didn't quit before the game started, they quit right after we stopped their first assault on our bunkers.

Another example was a game we had yesterday (J-Rzez described it) where our entire platoon got pushed back to the center of our Domination map early in the game. They took the first 2 cooling towers and camped our AA. They were everywhere and it seemed like the GAF squad were the only people in our platoon doing much of anything at the time. Everything was going to hell. We could've easily quit and said "fuck this shit," "our platoon sucks and this Raven platoon is too good." The other squads in our platoon could have said and done the same thing, but they stayed too.

We kept coming back for more and the game became a fun-as-shit battle of tug of war between us and Raven. We'd push them back a bit, get a few bunkers back up, they'd destroy them again and again. But through it all, we held the last 2 cooling towers somehow and NEVER GAVE UP. We must've fixed our AA and bunkers at least 15 times that game. And everytime, they'd get blown up almost immediately after it got fixed.

Keep telling yourself it has nothing to do with skill, good communication, good teamwork, and the will to win. It's so obvious that the map imbalance is the only thing to blame here. Yeah, let's blame the maps and not shitty teams / players who quit either before the game starts or right after they failed on their first attempt.

Click

Banned
uraldix said:
I have noticed that same quitting trend on SVER in some games. I will join a game and 1 squad is completely gone. Zipper should implement something that holds off the start of the game if too many people leave and give an XP hit to those that leave early once the game has started.

Yep. I agree completely.

I knew this was going to be a problem during beta, and especially during the IGN tournament, when entire point-boosting clans would quit out of any attack game. They only camped FRAGOs in defense games.

It happens with all factions, not just SVER or Raven.

Click said:
Stuff about getting into a match with SVER GAF.

Yeah just join the same match as those guys, slum it with the pugs (Or try and find the GAFers in the match, can be a fun diversion) until the match ends. I've done that pretty much every night this week, and I usually get into the group at the end of the match. But yeah tough luck if the group is already full. I usually just go pad the stats in Sabotage if I can't get into the group.

---

I noticed that Valor was ahead in the Sabotage last night too. More population = more matches = more points. Kind of a goofy way to win the Shadow War, but what can ya do.

Vinci

Danish
Click said:
The game icechai was describing, the opposing team actually gave us a run for our money when the game first started. They bum rushed us and did pretty well, I think blowing up a bunker or 2. But after we drove them back ONCE, they seemed to have all quit or something. They didn't quit before the game started, they quit right after we stopped their first assault on our bunkers.

I'm not excusing that sort of behavior, 'cause I'm not (I hate when people drop)... but with some maps (not necessarily just SVER's) the 'bum rush' at the front is pretty much your best chance of winning. Once the enemy is entrenched, it's pretty much over. And I can see where people might drop if they don't get it before letting the enemy hunker down in order to save time - rather than spending however long basically suiciding themselves (in their view).

Again: Not excusing it. I hated when people dropped. They mostly started doing it in the tourney, at least from what I experienced.

Andronicus said:
i didn't even know this was out. what was the marketing budget $3.75 and some popeyes chicken?

I watch TV, on average, about two hours a week. In that time, I have seen MAG commercials no less than four times. It's being advertised if that's what you mean by 'marketing.'

Kowak

Banned
i was pretty amazing at squad leader in acq. completely destroyed them all by myself
springle,wes and bajan had a small hand:D :D :D :D

edit; so annoying in the last dom match. the platton leader in our squad only clocked on about precision strikes with 5 minutes to go despite me telling him 4 or 5 time to use them on the bunker next to the one we had secured. pissed me off as hell.

Click

Banned
Vinci said:
I'm not excusing that sort of behavior, 'cause I'm not (I hate when people drop)... but with some maps (not necessarily just SVER's) the 'bum rush' at the front is pretty much your best chance of winning. Once the enemy is entrenched, it's pretty much over. And I can see where people might drop if they don't get it before letting the enemy hunker down in order to save time - rather than spending however long basically suiciding themselves (in their view).

Again: Not excusing it. I hated when people dropped. They mostly started doing it in the tourney, at least from what I experienced.

What I hope players start to realize is, that when you're attacking a team in Acq. and Dom., the bum rush usually doesn't work well. The defending team spawns earlier than the attacking team. They have bunkers and turrets. They have the full arsenal of leadership abilities at the their disposal from the get-go. And in Dom., they have an OIC that also spawns before the attacking OIC. So if the defending OIC has any clue about what his job is, he will use the CNI jammer right at the start of the game. The odds are almost always stacked against the attacking team on any map.

However, if squads / platoons use good strategy and push up SLOWLY, but making sure not to stop at any position for too long, they can and will be able to destroy bunkers and eventually the AA. If they use the sweep / pinch tactic, then their odds of success are even higher. If they bum rush, then all they're doing is committing mass-suicide and giving the enemy defenders free kills.

Bum rushing only works for Sabotage. Sometimes, it doesn't work against a good team.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Anerythristic said:
Huh... that can't be right since our ubber skilled SVER players say that Raven's filled with kids, rappers, and shitty CoD type players that ONLY snipe/don't work as a team AND we have NO skilled players. :|

GodofWine

A great ad campaig for this would be to shoot a new commercial every week and do it like a news update with 'footage' on the "war".....tell who is winning...whats happening, show some neat footage from battles...

Oh to have only been able to use my marketing degree for good....

Top Bottom