• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

methane47

Lince said:
so true, she was filming our cat playing with a toy-mouse with her new iPhone and I can be heard somewhere in the living-room with this half sweet - half creepy voice saying "yes, you and me, hand in hand, destiny!" to FFO...

back to MAG:

I would like to see a revamp of the Squad Leader abilities, like a menu where you could assign a certain task for each squad member, like hey Cagen stop spawn-camping and go repair the mortar (individual an collective FRAGOs). Same with the Platoon Leaders, they should have at least some basic commands like "Squad X defend/attack this" and "Squad Y help Squad Z".

Hey Lince!! i had a couple games with you two nights ago... and I have to say.. you and Cagen are BEASTS!!

But the game when Cagen left.. i had my best killing round ever... I had 53 kills!! wut wut... i was so much on fire.. lol... maybe its because Since Cagen wasn't over in the enemy spawn raping people that gave me an opportunity to get some kills.

Anyways I took a picture of my round i'll post it later...BUT in any case... great playing some games with the Gaf Clan

Note: SMG (Vipera2) + Silencer + Stability + reload time = Godly.

Lince

Banned
surefire1982 said:
The only reason you carry a weapon is to take care of the enemy when they try to prevent you from getting to said objectives...basically made the game much more enjoyable after that.

Exactly, it's immensely satisfying winning a tough, close MAG match with some organized team-play (memories of this Domination game I joined as OIC with 6-7 minutes left, epic). On the other hand, after playing a team-based mode in MW2 everyone will rush to the stats tab and check their K/D ratio, winning or losing isn't part of the game there, as a couple of Uni friends told me... "what really pisses you off in MW2 is not losing a game, is getting killed", now think of MAG, what pisses me off is losing our bunker or the match because we din't pay enough attention to what was happening to the other platoon. And when we're attacking I don't care if I die 5 times in a row or kill 10 guys with the knife, blowing this bunker up is what puts a smile on my face while on my way to the anti-air batteries.

edit:

methane47 said:
Note: SMG (Vipera2) + Silencer + Stability + reload time = Godly.

really? how does that setup compare to a silenced AR? I have to give that a try before we switch over to Valor.

thaOwner

CronosBlade said:
So yeah, I'm still getting my feet wet with how to play the game, but SVER GAF has been teaching me. Also while I do have a headset, I'm just normally quiet so I apologize for that. Thanks to all who have allowed me into the groups to play.

But everything is starting to click with me. In the last games I played with the group, I was running back and repairing the AA guns everytime somebody snuck past us and blew it up. So I've started to get more comfortable with the role I want to play, which is not necessarily being a killing machine, but truly doing support.

Though I must admit, leaving claymore mines for people laying charges is satisfying :D
Try and get the anti tank mines. Last night when playing a level where we had to defend wtih our base with Lince, Click, Johnny, Murdock and the rest of the guys, I would just run into the street and leave three of them there and wait for the fireworks as you see the enemy's tank coming in full speed and exploding upon contact with the mines.

thaOwner said:
Try and get the anti tank mines. Last night when playing a level where we had to defend wtih our base with Lince, Click, Johnny, Murdock and the rest of the guys, I would just run into the street and leave three of them there and wait for the fireworks as you see the enemy's tank coming in full speed and exploding upon contact with the mines.

Yeah, the more I'm playing the more I think I'll spec towards mines etc and a little of the electronics. Thanks for the info though. One game with the group we spent most of the game blowing up and then watching the other team repair a bridge. Tank mines would have been a nice little FU addition.

andycapps

uraldix said:
It is almost a foregone conclusion that you will get a dumb or silent SC in a game with randoms. Yesterday I had one that wanted everyone to let the other side have A&B in Sab so that he could snipe the paratroopers. Another one wouldn't frago the AA because he was in the turret and wanted extra points.

Yeah this is very true, and I've seen that thing happen too. More often than not though, the SC isn't setting frago's and they don't have a mic. So there's no guidance. I shouldn't say more often than not, but probably half the time. Obviously I'm trying to vote them out during this time, but most people don't do the votes so it usually doesn't work.

tha0wner said:

Do you do them in a cluster or in a straight line towards the gate? How many does it take to take out an APC?

methane47

Lince said:
really? how does that setup compare to a silenced AR? I have to give that a try before we switch over to Valor.

I actually wouldn't know.. as I'm only lvl 18 soo i only currently have my healing specs and my SMG specs..nothing else lol

All i know is that SMG has a 64 bullet clip
With stability increased .. i can fire from the hip for close-medium range...
Plus when i go into the sight...I can snipe snipers as there is little to no recoil at all..
Rate of fire is crazy high... (which is great in close battles but can be a problem as I need to resupply often)

the Only real problem with the gun is that the damage is low... this is no big deal for people with low/medium armor but heavies can take a couple hits to go down..

BUT let me just say this... BEFORE i had the SMG i was getting 12-18 kills a match... now i get constantly 25+ sometimes 30+ and once 50 lol

Another great thing is that the Vipera and attachments are really cheap... so I can still carry around a med kit + repair kit or a med kit + grenades and Smoke...

uraldix

dorkimoe said:
still falling so far behind :(, need to catch up to the gaffers

We got like 10 inches of snow on Friday so I power leveled this weekend. Went from Level 38 to Level 51 playing Sat and Sun.

andycapps said:
Yeah this is very true, and I've seen that thing happen too. More often than not though, the SC isn't setting frago's and they don't have a mic. So there's no guidance. I shouldn't say more often than not, but probably half the time. Obviously I'm trying to vote them out during this time, but most people don't do the votes so it usually doesn't work.

Yep, I have had that one a lot too. Seems like you either get a really good game or a really bad one when playing with randoms.

TheFallen

andycapps said:
Do you do them in a cluster or in a straight line towards the gate? How many does it take to take out an APC?
That's a decision you have to make based on how the opposing team is driving down that road. Sometimes they'll drive to one side of the road or purposely cut through a section. So clustering them will sometimes lead to no detonation at all if they drive around them. The best thing to do is put the 3 mines down in a narrow section that they're forced to drive over. I have an insanely high count of vehicles/APCs destroyed. Love doing it. Though I like to use my RPG a lot nowadays since you don't need to worry about where they're driving. I think the RPG > Anti-Tank Mines in locations that have multiple roads near the bunker.

methane47 said:
Another great thing is that the Vipera and attachments are really cheap... so I can still carry around a med kit + repair kit or a med kit + grenades and Smoke...

The SMG is something i should look into then. The T3 rifle + silencer + red dot + foregrip is 1400 points....but i love that setup too much to give it up. :)

icechai

methane47 said:
I actually wouldn't know.. as I'm only lvl 18 soo i only currently have my healing specs and my SMG specs..nothing else lol

All i know is that SMG has a 64 bullet clip
With stability increased .. i can fire from the hip for close-medium range...
Plus when i go into the sight...I can snipe snipers as there is little to no recoil at all..
Rate of fire is crazy high... (which is great in close battles but can be a problem as I need to resupply often)

the Only real problem with the gun is that the damage is low... this is no big deal for people with low/medium armor but heavies can take a couple hits to go down..

BUT let me just say this... BEFORE i had the SMG i was getting 12-18 kills a match... now i get constantly 25+ sometimes 30+ and once 50 lol

sounds pretty sweet, i've respec'd from machinegun to sniper, and i hafta say for pure killing power nothing quite beats the LMG. Its just ridiculous w/ stability and iron sights, especially in domination and suppression. I've taken out entire squads that try to come into the objective area with 1 clip. Crazy. Am probably going to respec back to machinegun but w/ mines after I get the xp.

thaOwner

andycapps said:

In a straight line and it takes 3 mines to blow up a tank. If you really wanna be funny drop all three of them at the exact same place and watch the tank go up in smokes upon contact. Here is what I mean in a s straight line:

M
M
M

Or

M
M
M

The first form works really well though but the second one is also just as effective because something enemies who realize there are mines laid out there will try to steer either left or right to try and avoid the others. Dropping all three mines at the exact same place is the most effective out of three though but its easier for the enemies to dodge it in a wide open road.

andycapps

TheFallen said:
That's a decision you have to make based on how the opposing team is driving down that road. Sometimes they'll drive to one side of the road or purposely cut through a section. So clustering them will sometimes lead to no detonation at all if they drive around them. The best thing to do is put the 3 mines down in a narrow section that they're forced to drive over. I have an insanely high count of vehicles/APCs destroyed. Love doing it. Though I like to use my RPG a lot nowadays since you don't need to worry about where they're driving. I think the RPG > Anti-Tank Mines in locations that have multiple roads near the bunker.

That's cool. I have the second RPG unlocked and the anti-tank mines, but haven't had an occasion to use the anti-tank mines yet. Like you I just normally use the RPG against APC's. Have the fast reload on that now so it's fairly easy to take them out as long as I have some distance between me and them.

GodofWine

Question:

The 'tier 1 / 2 / 3' thing in the skills / weapons...do you need to buy all t1 prior to moving up to t2? or can you just save your 'money' and buy a t3 weapon first?

(they really did a balls awful job explaining things in this game....though I forgive them cause its awesome.)

DeadGzuz

Banned
I noticed free MAG T-shirts in the Threads store in Home, men and women. Just mentioning incase anyone cares or missed a previous post.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
GodofWine said:
Question:

The 'tier 1 / 2 / 3' thing in the skills / weapons...do you need to buy all t1 prior to moving up to t2? or can you just save your 'money' and buy a t3 weapon first?

(they really did a balls awful job explaining things in this game....though I forgive them cause its awesome.)
you need to spend 2 points in the previous tier to advance to the next tier

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Lince said:
I can't wait, the "easy mode" bullshit did spread like wildfire across forums and now SVER is full of mediocre players, I prefer being the underdog.
Valor isn't the underdog though! :D

I noticed the F2000 gun in BFBC2 (LOVING the demo) looks just like ATAC2000.

Lince

Banned
I just can't believe the insane amount of idiots, yes, idiots, playing right now... I've died two thousand times planting c4 on a bunker while my "team mates" rushed to plant themselves (wtf guys, only one guy can plant!!) instead of giving me cover, so I decided that I was not trying to plant C4 on the next bunker... then this other guy was planting and our "team mate" stabs him in the back with the knife and proceeds to plant himself. Awesome, simply awesome.

Give me a heads up when there's a group of SVER GAF I can join, otherwise I'm not bothering with MAG anymore.

theBishop

Banned
Lince said:
I just can't believe the insane amount of idiots, yes, idiots, playing right now... I've died two thousand times planting c4 on a bunker while my "team mates" rushed to plant themselves (wtf guys, only one guy can plant!!) instead of giving me cover, so I decided that I was not trying to plant C4 on the next bunker... then this other guy was planting and our "team mate" stabs him in the back with the knife and proceeds to plant himself. Awesome, simply awesome.

This is something everyone has to learn about MAG. You have to assume there's a person with his crosshairs on your objective. You have to force that person to give up his location before you sit in one spot planting C4 for 5 seconds. Sometimes you get lucky, but most of the time you're going to lose your head.

theBishop said:
This is something everyone has to learn about MAG. You have to assume there's a person with his crosshairs on your objective. You have to force that person to give up his location before you sit in one spot planting C4 for 5 seconds. Sometimes you get lucky, but most of the time you're going to lose your head.

Yep..so true. I'm trying to force myself to get into the habit of: "find objective, get to objective, secure area around objective, plant, and defend".

I think maybe the bonus points for planting an explosive and destroying the objective is just too irresistible?

thaOwner

Lince said:

Give me a heads up when there's a group of SVER GAF I can join, otherwise I'm not bothering with MAG anymore.
You should just wait for us so we can tear shit up again like last night.. I will be home in about 3 hours.

theBishop

Banned
surefire1982 said:
Yep..so true. I'm trying to force myself to get into the habit of: "find objective, get to objective, secure area around objective, plant, and defend".

I think maybe the bonus points for planting an explosive and destroying the objective is just too irresistible?

Very possibly. Perhaps some frago points to everyone in the vicinity when a bunker explodes are in order.

Lince

Banned
theBishop said:

what? I fucking cleared the area before planting, there were 3 guys with me and I was planting C4, then I noticed all my teammates were attempting to plant !!! of course some guy spawned on the bunker and shot us all in the fucking back.

thaOwner

surefire1982 said:

This is why I like playing the supression mode. Its a great way to get a nice kill streak or just fix your KD ratio a bit. Since there are no real objectives in here besides murdering each other but man defending as S.V.E.R in sabotage mode can be very fun if you are playing with people who takes the fight to enemy rather than defending the points.

andycapps

Lince said:
what? I fucking cleared the area before planting, there were 3 guys with me and I was planting C4, then I noticed all my teammates were attempting to plant !!! of course some guy spawned on the bunker and shot us all in the fucking back.

Question, this whole time are you yelling into your mic that you're planting and for people to cover you?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
andycapps said:
Question, this whole time are you yelling into your mic that you're planting and for people to cover you?

Nah, because he's SVER, and they all have perfect telepathy! They just BLEED Teamwork! :D

Lince

Banned
andycapps said:

Lince: "planting, need some cover"
randoms: no reply, they just rush where I am and attempt planting or something, I can't even move, we all die.

next bunker

Lince: "go ahead man! plant!"
random team mate #1: no answer but proceeds to plant C4
random team mate #2: stabs #1 in the back and proceeds to plant himself
Lince_SPAIN has left the game

andycapps

Lince said:
randoms: no reply, they just rush where I am and attempt planting or something, I can't even move, we all die.

next bunker

Haha that sucks man, pub games are pretty bad sometimes. It's that way though in Left 4 Dead on PC. I don't think this isn't any different. People are idiots and do dumb things, especially when they're probably never going to play with you again.

KZObsessed

Lince said:

next bunker

:lol

I'm enjoying a nice relaxing game of Final Fantasy VIII right now...

Aaaaaaaa sooo relaxed. :)

patsu

Lince said:

... or you could ditch them and join the bright side of Raven !

Kowak

Banned
I still have no clue why Raven allows itselfd to constantly fall back and defend the letters. The only way to stand a chance of defending domination is to make sure the AAA and mortar battery are always up and then getting the bunkers back.

I also have no clue why people rush off to defend the burnoff towers, they play no importance what so ever and only allow for raven to be exposed. when squad leader i always make sure we defend the roadblock/bunker to stop others penetrating us.

TheFallen

thaOwner said:
This is why I like playing the supression mode. Its a great way to get a nice kill streak or just fix your KD ratio a bit. Since there are no real objectives in here besides murdering each other but man defending as S.V.E.R in sabotage mode can be very fun if you are playing with people who takes the fight to enemy rather than defending the points.
Fix your KD ratio in a team game? What purpose does that serve? Nobody is going to care what your KD looks like other than yourself. Why play a barebones lackluster mode when you can have MAG at its finest (Acq/Dom)? I don't know about others, if I wanted to play generic TDM I would pull out Call of Duty. I don't ever touch Suppression.

Most of us play MAG because of the objectives that require actual teamwork. What Lince is complaining about is the mentality of players that prefer lone-wolf and racking up points for themselves. It's something of an issue in MAG at the moment, but thankfully I think we'll see them weeded out over time. And honestly, I wish they had not put in Suppression mode. It seems they only did it to satisfy CoD players and make it appear as if the game has more modes/maps.

ibu

Just managed to get on now... sorry SVER. Invite me when possible, hate playing with none team players.

Kowak

Banned
Lince said:

next bunker

wow, thanfully i have yet to have this happen to me, never seen anyone kill someone to plant something.

although i have a few times let an attacker plant something just so i could kill him and then disarm.
this has backfired a few times with me usually getting shot in the back and then the bunker gets blown

andycapps

Kowak said:
wow, thanfully i have yet to have this happen to me, never seen anyone kill someone to plant something.

although i have a few times let an attacker plant something just so i could kill him and then disarm.
this has backfired a few times with me usually getting shot in the back and then the bunker gets blown

:lol at the spoiler'd part. Good to play a couple games with you yesterday, might be on tonight, but supposed to watch Zombieland with the wife.

methane47

:D My moment of glory....:D

2rr8kfp.jpg

I think thats not bad for a lvl 18

Kowak

Banned
andycapps said:
:lol at the spoiler'd part. Good to play a couple games with you yesterday, might be on tonight, but supposed to watch Zombieland with the wife.

well hopefully catch you, will be giving it a hardcore shift as day off for me tomorrow.

Lonestar

I'm just now ok enough, to either go 1:1 on KD, or have a few more K than D. I'm sitting at a career 0.74 :D

Course, I'm playing as Raven, and I've gone through too many Attacking SVER dom maps...

Kowak

Banned
Lonestar said:
I'm just now ok enough, to either go 1:1 on KD, or have a few more K than D. I'm sitting at a career 0.74 :D

Course, I'm playing as Raven, and I've gone through too many Attacking SVER dom maps...

i was like this but not have started getting some really nice k;d. i just dont run around like a mad man trying to secure objectives. now i take my time more and make sure the coast is clear. i use the shotgun atm but dislike not having the machine gun and cleaning up in a room.

Lonestar

Kowak said:
i was like this but not have started getting some really nice k;d. i just dont run around like a mad man trying to secure objectives. now i take my time more and make sure the coast is clear. i use the shotgun atm but dislike not having the machine gun and cleaning up in a room.

I had respec'd, and picked up some of the jamming equipment, and the poison grenades. I'm liking them alot. Like I wrote earlier, I was able to lock down the AA and Sensor equipment on Valor's DOM map, 80% of the time by myself, solely because (I guess) they couldn't see me coming on their map. They'd come in to fix it, and I'd take out the cover, then the engineers. Wait 10-20 seconds, pop a poison grenade on the target, and wait till they tried again.

jorma

is now taking requests
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

i had one of my best games ever, blowing shit up, killing people left and right - and of course servers go down. Just like that :X

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What is the third number on the post-game stats screen. Kills, deaths, then something? Is it completed FRAGOs?

I had a great run on Friday night. Squad leader on a SVER Acquisition. I had 25 kills zero deaths... and our squad was just amazing.

Well, I hit level 60 this weekend (Valor). It just amazes me how much there is to learn in this game. I even played into the mid-20s during the beta as Raven. I just now feel like I understand how to attack S.V.E.R. in Sabotage and how to defend our map in Domination. Defense in Acquisition mode and attacking S.V.E.R. in Domination still seems hopeless.

One thing that does irk me is that I've only attacked Raven once in domination. And while I've seen it more times, attacking S.V.E.R. in Acquisition seems fairly rare. Sabotage tends to have better variety but attacking Raven seems to be the odd man out. It also seems like I get stuck attacking/defending the same territories in the larger game modes. With as few maps as the game has, I wish there was a way to mix it up a little more. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

Now I just need to decide whether to go into prestige mode and which faction to join.

I was talking to a buddy last night and am curious what every thinks of this idea: what if you could plant C4 on mobile spawn points (like you can other objectives) as long as they are stationary?

Kowak said:
I still have no clue why Raven allows itselfd to constantly fall back and defend the letters. The only way to stand a chance of defending domination is to make sure the AAA and mortar battery are always up and then getting the bunkers back.

I also have no clue why people rush off to defend the burnoff towers, they play no importance what so ever and only allow for raven to be exposed. when squad leader i always make sure we defend the roadblock/bunker to stop others penetrating us.

The aa and mortor are important but you shouldn't just let the burnoff towers free. Wouldn't letting them go just open up your letters for an all out assault? Once the letters are unlocked it seems difficult to get anyone back out to make repairs on the aa and anything else.

It's actually pretty easy to go behind enemy lines in a domination map once all the burn-off towers have fallen. All you need is a sensor jammer and an understanding of where attackers travel/gather on the maps. You can even try a brute force method of taking a vehicle if stealth isn't your strong point. I'll try to raise a bunker or two and then bring up anti-air as you'll need some help defending it once it is repaired.

Communication is key because once a bunker is resurrected, the squad assigned to that bunker will be default spawned back to that point. Not ideal if one of your lettered points is under enemy control. At the very least, bringing up the anti-air will delay enemy reinforcements for a short period of time, which might just give you the push needed to recapture a fallen lettered objective.

Top Bottom