• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

ibu

Kept getting d/c so decided to play some Bad Company 2 for a while. I love the snipering in that game, the rest... not so much.

I really was set on getting that game until I played MAG now I feel set on MAG. Can't wait to see me DLC. Well I can wait because what we have now is so good.

The levelling up is balanced so well also.

Right I am off to bed up in a few hours.

Goodnight fellow Gaffers and SVER folk.

I've only been in a few squads where we didn't give up the letters defending (raven). Both times was a gaf group.

Keeping the aa on the ship was key. Having engineers there is the perfect central point where they can go back and forth between bunkers. This also assists other squads with the repairs

Noshino

Kowak said:
I still have no clue why Raven allows itselfd to constantly fall back and defend the letters. The only way to stand a chance of defending domination is to make sure the AAA and mortar battery are always up and then getting the bunkers back.

I also have no clue why people rush off to defend the burnoff towers, they play no importance what so ever and only allow for raven to be exposed. when squad leader i always make sure we defend the roadblock/bunker to stop others penetrating us.

the problem is that sometimes it gets surprisingly hard to get the bunkers back up, hell, if Im able to get back to the bunkers it is because I use a freaking APC to get out, we usually have snipers and other APCs right between the letters and the bunkers.

Kowak

Banned
Cellbomber said:
The aa and mortor are important but you shouldn't just let the burnoff towers free. Wouldn't letting them go just open up your letters for an all out assault? Once the letters are unlocked it seems difficult to get anyone back out to make repairs on the aa and anything else.

you mean the cooling station, they are important but the burnoffs can be sacrificed if it means you have a solid defense of your bunker and gate/roadblock.

Noshino said:
the problem is that sometimes it gets surprisingly hard to get the bunkers back up, hell, if Im able to get back to the bunkers it is because I use a freaking APC to get out, we usually have snipers and other APCs right between the letters and the bunkers.

true, its why the squad should reform up as quick as possible and go together.

Had an amazing game. Took out two valor domination bunkers and aaa in 1 minute. then continued to be on fire just destroying anything in my why. just amazed i didnt get 30 shotguns despite having 50 kills, quite a bit were from knives. just amazed i only had 987. was so pissed off i didnt make it to 1000. admit i allowed myself a few cheap deaths that stopped me getting over the mark.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Kowak said:
I still have no clue why Raven allows itselfd to constantly fall back and defend the letters. The only way to stand a chance of defending domination is to make sure the AAA and mortar battery are always up and then getting the bunkers back.

I also have no clue why people rush off to defend the burnoff towers, they play no importance what so ever and only allow for raven to be exposed. when squad leader i always make sure we defend the roadblock/bunker to stop others penetrating us.
Ya getting bunkers/AAA back up is a key. One domination the GAF squad spent their whole time in repairing/defending those 2 spots after losing them and Id imagine that is why we won the match.

J-Rzez

ibu said:
Kept getting d/c so decided to play some Bad Company 2 for a while. I love the snipering in that game, the rest... not so much.

I really was set on getting that game until I played MAG now I feel set on MAG. Can't wait to see me DLC. Well I can wait because what we have now is so good.

The levelling up is balanced so well also.

Right I am off to bed up in a few hours.

Goodnight fellow Gaffers and SVER folk.

That's how it was for me too. MAG really ruined BFBC for me. Totally different games though, so i may pick it up to play for a break here and there. It's just not no where near as fun as MAG.

Palmer_v1

So I got 998xp attacking Valor's Dom map. It was a little weird because I didn't feel like I had done much to help the squad. Lince, J-Rzez, Prez, and 2-3 other GAF were with me. I think Lince was SL with Prez as PL.

I really need to group with you guys more often.

lantus

OK so I just picked this up a few hours ago, and I must know if I'm the only one who has problems with spawning.

It's been happening quite often where I'm not doing anything on the loadout screen and it keeps on resetting the countdown once it gets to zero.

Spain and Prez are always out in the hot areas taking fools out. I try to stay a little bit behind them to help or revive. I don't know what im doing wrong though, I played with you guys last night and I got so many points I leveled from 13 to 15 in one game. Tonight I'm not getting as many points for some reason. I must have just been getting alot of frago bonuses.

Palmer_v1

TrAcEr_x90 said:
Spain and Prez are always out in the hot areas taking fools out. I try to stay a little bit behind them to help or revive. I don't know what im doing wrong though, I played with you guys last night and I got so many points I leveled from 13 to 15 in one game. Tonight I'm not getting as many points for some reason. I must have just been getting alot of frago bonuses.

There is a drastic difference in FRAGO points if your squad leader isn't on the ball. It drives me nuts to play aquisition with one who never changes it from the vehicles.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Palmer_v1 said:
So I got 998xp attacking Valor's Dom map. It was a little weird because I didn't feel like I had done much to help the squad. Lince, J-Rzez, Prez, and 2-3 other GAF were with me. I think Lince was SL with Prez as PL.

I really need to group with you guys more often.
Valor has a domination map? Oh shit...

:(

Violater

Good games tonight SVERGAF
Valor put up a good fight on domination, they kept rushing in and taking our stuff out and we kept putting them right back up.
Advanced explosives is key.

icechai

I changed my stance on snipers. Variable scope + 3rd tier sniper rifle = awesome support. Today I'd always get at least 400 xp, sometimes going into the 900s. Taking out enemy snipers / healing guys was pretty much my focus, and the 3rd tier sniper rifle is good for help on taking out turrets, so more points there :)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
icechai said:
I changed my stance on snipers. Variable scope + 3rd tier sniper rifle = awesome support. Today I'd always get at least 400 xp, sometimes going into the 900s. Taking out enemy snipers / healing guys was pretty much my focus, and the 3rd tier sniper rifle is good for help on taking out turrets, so more points there :)

imo, snipers are 100% useless in this game, in terms of helping your team to win. I'm convinced that one of the main reasons SVER wins so often is bc we have less snipers.

J-Rzez

commish said:
imo, snipers are 100% useless in this game, in terms of helping your team to win. I'm convinced that one of the main reasons SVER wins so often is bc we have less snipers.

No. Snipers are invaluable. Good snipers that is. They can really shut down another team. And think how many times now that you heard people say "sniper". People lose focus and go after them instead of everything else.

commish

J-Rzez said:
No. Snipers are invaluable. Good snipers that is. They can really shut down another team. And think how many times now that you heard people say "sniper". People lose focus and go after them instead of everything else.

I'm gonna have to disagree. How do they shut a team down? In my 100 games or whatever, I've yet to come across a sniper do anything but get a kill here and there. Sure, people always call out sniper, but I'm not sure what that proves. I'm pretty sure my squad has never lost a bunker or a letter or a vehicle because of a sniper. A good sniper can be annoying, but another assaulter or a guy firing rockets at our turret or a guy repairing AA/mortars would be more useful to his team.

And whenever we have a squad of sver gaf, how many snipers do we usually have? I can't remember any, really...

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
surefire1982 said:
Yep..so true. I'm trying to force myself to get into the habit of: "find objective, get to objective, secure area around objective, plant, and defend".

I think maybe the bonus points for planting an explosive and destroying the objective is just too irresistible?

Or people are trying to earn the ribbons and medals. One of the medals is 'Marauder Medal - Plant 500 explosive charges in your career' (Half that for disarms) and one of the ribbons is 'Marauder - Plant 10 explosives' (and half that for disarms) but the ribbons one is per match whereas the Medals span over your career.

Kak.efes

J-Rzez said:

It's useless, man, especially in Acquisition, and Domination. Sabatoge is another story, as the objectives there are fairly static, and it lends itself favorably to camping. At least that's been my experience.

jorma

is now taking requests
commish said:

I don't know about Valor, but there's not that many snipers in Raven. There were lots and lots in the beta, but that's not really true anymore.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
enewtabie said:
Ok..Just shot a GAF weak_spot in the back of the head running away from me. I spotted a GAFer. Excellent game.:lol

Ahahaha, that was me. *for shame*

But to redeem myself, I did have 700 repair points. :D

maaan, raven was rockin us tonight. Is there somewhere to see what faction is doing the best overall, is it in-game or on the official site?

Das-J

Law of the West
Great games tonight Raven GAF! I can't believe that random dude who decided it would be a good idea to shoot in a circle at C right when we were about to win... :lol

TrAcEr_x90 said:
maaan, raven was rockin us tonight. Is there somewhere to see what faction is doing the best overall, is it in-game or on the official site?

You can check the current status of the Shadow War on the Deploy screen. The bars indicate the total number of games won during this phase and the flags represent the contracts owned by each PMC for that gametype.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Das-J said:
Great games tonight Raven GAF! I can't believe that random dude who decided it would be a good idea to shoot in a circle at C right when we were about to win... :lol

You can check the current status of the Shadow War on the Deploy screen. The bars indicate the total number of games won during this phase and the flags represent the contracts owned by each PMC for that gametype.

Is that what happened up there? Was too busy trying to cover the backside of the tower. :( To lose that with 1:44 left.... :(

Palmer_v1

Corran Horn said:
Valor has a domination map? Oh shit...

:(

To be fair, I've probably played 20 or so Domination matches and that was the first time I had seen it.

You have a very lovely home. Sorry we had to blow it up.

Palmer_v1

Das-J said:

Do you have to be the 3rd place team in order to lose a contract? It seems like SVER is being beat on two of the game types, but we've never lost our initial contract.

J-Rzez

commish said:
I'm gonna have to disagree. How do they shut a team down? In my 100 games or whatever, I've yet to come across a sniper do anything but get a kill here and there. Sure, people always call out sniper, but I'm not sure what that proves. I'm pretty sure my squad has never lost a bunker or a letter or a vehicle because of a sniper. A good sniper can be annoying, but another assaulter or a guy firing rockets at our turret or a guy repairing AA/mortars would be more useful to his team.

And whenever we have a squad of sver gaf, how many snipers do we usually have? I can't remember any, really...

I would usually snipe, except I'm power leveling at the moment, and the game doesn't reward snipers properly. I'll get at least double the points picking up the LMG and setting up shop at the fragos. Sniping on offense hasn't been all that effective, but defensively, they're great.

One thing I noticed amongst playing the different PMC's is that Valor and especially Raven has it better for snipers. When I was on Raven, defending that far right bunker on Acq, I would be able to stop everyone from planting there. No matter how many people showed up. And there were many more spots than that. Valor had a ton there too. SVERs bunkers are too close and covered poorly to defensively snipe.

krioto

This game is online crack - I can't get enough at the moment, even though I'm still kind of working out what the hell is going on - so much action and huge battle-maps!

Had some great sabotage games last night with some random yanks - you have to have a mic or you miss so much!

edit - what happens when you respec - do you keep your skill points?

reason I ask is that I've bought a couple of useless sniper upgrades, and am about 200 hundred points shy of the respec total, and was hoping to reassign skill points to get the .50 cal sniper rifle.

krioto

archnemesis said:
You keep all skill points, but keep in mind that the respec cost will increase each time you do it.

Ah, OK, thanks for that - I'm going to stay as sniper though, so should be ok.

ibu

Right im coming in SVER... who is with me? Lets get some FRAGO points man!!!

I'm so PUMPED right now... lets do this!!!

Cagen

ibu said:
Right im coming in SVER... who is with me? Lets get some FRAGO points man!!!

I'm so PUMPED right now... lets do this!!!
I would be but I can't connect to the god damn servers. I need something to pass the time until the courier delivers my Bioshock2 CE.

ibu

Cagen said:
I would be but I can't connect to the god damn servers. I need something to pass the time until the courier delivers my Bioshock2 CE.

Can you connect yet?

ibu

I am sure it can't be just me but since the server patch, I have had loads of 5:5 and 3:5 errors... anyone else with me on this?

methane47

TheFallen said:
Only 573xp? Were you in a turret?

lol I pretty much didn't bother too much with Frago's or support stuff.. I mean... if you work it out i still got about 250 points in other stuff besides kills but ya I was FOCUSed on killing!!

GodofWine

Got in a game or two with RavenGaf last night, think we were 1-1....

Ok, what in the holy hell is going on when, for example, you are attacking Sver trying to shut down their refinery, there is an objective A-B-C-D that look 'locked' and a damage line under them all??? There was no 'objective' marked by my squad leader...So I was confusssssed. (sadly, I couldn't get in squad with the Gafs to ask them 'Wtf?')

And on acquisition(?) when you get the APCs, you have to drive them to a certain place to capture them? yes? I wasn't in one, only supporting them, so I really had no time to sit back an figure anything out...

Fun as hell though.

Lince

Banned
Palmer_v1 said:

points aren't free, so of course you did a lot to help the squad, healing the front line of the squad so it's always up defending/attacking a FRAGO will give you tons of XP and it's invaluable.

Snipers in most attack modes are useless and don't really contribute much outside of their own k/d ratios. Snipers though are pretty useful to have when on defense.

commish

GodofWine said:
Got in a game or two with RavenGaf last night, think we were 1-1....

Ok, what in the holy hell is going on when, for example, you are attacking Sver trying to shut down their refinery, there is an objective A-B-C-D that look 'locked' and a damage line under them all??? There was no 'objective' marked by my squad leader...So I was confusssssed. (sadly, I couldn't get in squad with the Gafs to ask them 'Wtf?')

And on acquisition(?) when you get the APCs, you have to drive them to a certain place to capture them? yes? I wasn't in one, only supporting them, so I really had no time to sit back an figure anything out...

Fun as hell though.

You have to unlock the letters (refineries) before you can start to capture them. When you capture one or more, then the damage line fills up slowly. The more letters you control, the faster it fills up. The goal is to capture 1 or more letters long enough to fill up the damage bar and win.

Mesijs

SOOO I bought the 'best' assault rifle from RAVEN but according to the statistics it just sucks, I think. It doesn't have the grip available anymore and the only statistic that's better is the damage, but just by a tiny bit. Accuracy is worse, other statistic as well, weights more (can carry less armor) etc.

What does GAF say? Was it a complete waste of point?

andycapps

Mesijs said:
SOOO I bought the 'best' assault rifle from RAVEN but according to the statistics it just sucks, I think. It doesn't have the grip available anymore and the only statistic that's better is the damage, but just by a tiny bit. Accuracy is worse, other statistic as well, weights more (can carry less armor) etc.

What does GAF say? Was it a complete waste of point?

Assault rifles in general are a waste of time, IMO. Light machine guns and SMG's seem to be where it's at in this game. I'm personally just focusing on LMG's and maxing out the first one. Doesn't seem like the amount of credits needed to use the higher level ones is worth it.

Mesijs

andycapps said:
Assault rifles in general are a waste of time, IMO. Light machine guns and SMG's seem to be where it's at in this game. I'm personally just focusing on LMG's and maxing out the first one. Doesn't seem like the amount of credits needed to use the higher level ones is worth it.
Sorry man I mean the light machine gun... the very upper gun in the upgrade tree with the 4x zoom etc.

sk3tch

andycapps said:

I second this. I'm in S.V.E.R. and use the LMG + reload + reflex sight + foregrip + improved stability (my latest acquisition :))...it's pretty awesome. I thought the LMG was great before the upgraded to improved stability...but now it is insane.

When I started the retail game I accidentally went down the assault rifle tree a bit...and the guns lacked punch...even the upgraded one.

Is the general consensus that the medium machine gun (S.V.E.R.: PSK MG) is not worth the 5 points? Should I just stick with the LMG?

GodofWine

commish said:
You have to unlock the letters (refineries) before you can start to capture them. When you capture one or more, then the damage line fills up slowly. The more letters you control, the faster it fills up. The goal is to capture 1 or more letters long enough to fill up the damage bar and win.

OK that all makes sense, but,...how do you 'unlock' them? is it like a 'blow the door open' thing? and then take control?

mesijis said:
Sorry man I mean the light machine gun... the very upper gun in the upgrade tree with the 4x zoom etc.

damn, I was going for this gun right away...you mean you can use the grip you bought in tier one, or bipod in tier 1 with the gun from tier 3?

Top Bottom