• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Mesijs

I used the grip and the 4x zoom on the second best gun but can't use the grip on the best gun anymore... making that gun rather worse than the other one. Is there any workaround GAF or am I right?

Lince

Banned
andycapps said:
Assault rifles in general are a waste of time, IMO. Light machine guns and SMG's seem to be where it's at in this game. I'm personally just focusing on LMG's and maxing out the first one. Doesn't seem like the amount of credits needed to use the higher level ones is worth it.

well I'm doing fine with a second-tier AR + silencer, of course I got more kills with the LMG but this setup lets me play stealthy all the way, it's all a matter of preference.

andycapps

sk3tch said:
I second this. I'm in S.V.E.R. and use the LMG + reload + reflex sight + foregrip + improved stability (my latest acquisition :))...it's pretty awesome. I thought the LMG was great before the upgraded to improved stability...but now it is insane.

When I started the retail game I accidentally went down the assault rifle tree a bit...and the guns lacked punch...even the upgraded one.

Is the general consensus that the medium machine gun (S.V.E.R.: PSK MG) is not worth the 5 points? Should I just stick with the LMG?

I went down the assault rifle trail because I thought it was the way to go in most shooters so would be here too.. First chance to respec I did it and haven't regretted it at all. You just have to get out of the habit that you have in other games of reloading after shooting everyone. Now when I reload I generally lie down on the ground while I'm doing it, preferably in grass. I have the fast reload but still prefer to get down and make myself as small a target as possible as it only takes a few bullets to go down.

But yeah, I've been preferring to keep the points low on the LMG and stick with the stock one and just upgrade it to the max so that I can have smoke, repair kits, med kits, rpg, anti tank mines, etc in my other loadouts.

Lince said:
well I'm doing fine with a second-tier AR + silencer, of course I got more kills with the LMG but this setup lets me play stealthy all the way, it's all a matter of preference.

True, it is all preference. For me, I definitely don't regret going the LMG route.

Lince said:

I agree with this as well...i'm running the R-553 (tier 3 AR) + silencer, red dot sight and foregrip, and I've found that I prefer not appearing on the radar after taking someone down, and being able to sneak away.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
So...I noticed a shift in the play-style of the PMCs that I believe can be attributed to faction migration.

While playing SVER I've noticed that the games are getting harder, the opposing teams are rushing as opposed to just sniping and knifing. On the flip-side, I've noticed a bunch of non-gaf SVER players only using their knife...and sniping when on the attacking side. It feels like a bad Twilight Zone episode.

sk3tch

Lince said:

surefire1982 said:
I agree with this as well...i'm running the R-553 (tier 3 AR) + silencer, red dot sight and foregrip, and I've found that I prefer not appearing on the radar after taking someone down, and being able to sneak away.

Oooh...that sounds lovely. Once I hit level 40 (37 now) I will respec to that and switch it up from my maxed out LMG kit. Silent kills plus 4x scope...sweeet. I'm primarily a support guy, anyway...so the stealth will be much appreciated.

sk3tch said:
Oooh...that sounds lovely. Once I hit level 40 (37 now) I will respec to that and switch it up from my maxed out LMG kit. Silent kills plus 4x scope...sweeet. I'm primarily a support guy, anyway...so the stealth will be much appreciated.

Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't hit anything with the 4x scope and the sway...i found I did much better with the red dot sight...(it's likely just me, since this is my 2nd non PC FPS, and i'm still getting used to the controller vs KB/M)

IPoopStandingUp said:
So...I noticed a shift in the play-style of the PMCs that I believe can be attributed to faction migration.

While playing SVER I've noticed that the games are getting harder, the opposing teams are rushing as opposed to just sniping and knifing. On the flip-side, I've noticed a bunch of non-gaf SVER players only using their knife...and sniping when on the attacking side. It feels like a bad Twilight Zone episode.

Knifing rules
4341588175_f9161b1c92_o.jpg

I seriously wonder if my 2 knife skills made/make a difference, I still find myself swiping at a guy sometimes 5 times. Im not saying knifing should/is like CoD's auto-aim knife, it tke a degree of skill, but Im not sure the 2 skills made me better it.

Also I wonder too about the reflexscope.
Does it make the gun more accurate or just me?
I mean does the gun handle better and shoot more accurately or can I just use iron sight and be just as effective?

NHale

I'm starting to get tired of all the disconnections. Even with all my ports forwarded, Sunday I was disconnected more than 10 times, sometimes in the last 5 minutes of domination. It's so frustrating, to battle for 25 minutes and then it all goes away because of instable servers.

Right now, every time I'm reaching the last 5 minutes of a match, I'm always afraid the servers will disconnect me. I hope Zipper solves this, because it's the only thing killing the fun for me, that and stupid squad leaders that refuse to FRAGO the letters, when the attackers are already there, opting to FRAGO repairing a bunker in the middle of the drop zone for the attackers. If you want to boost ribbons/medals, leave squad leader to someone else...

sk3tch

surefire1982 said:
Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't hit anything with the 4x scope and the sway...i found I did much better with the red dot sight...(it's likely just me, since this is my 2nd non PC FPS, and i'm still getting used to the controller vs KB/M)

Hm...I don't see a red-dot site in the S.V.E.R. assault skill tree?

I'd spec out (using maggametools.com):

first tier
reload speed
foregrip

second tier
AG-94
improved stability

third tier
steady aim
4x optical scope

fourth tier
suppressor

I could go for the reflex sight in tier one instead? I'm concerned because I probably shoot like you...I am sooo inaccurate. My bro came over to try MAG the other day (he's a 360 MW2 guy) and he just was owning with my char lol...headshots all over. I can never do that!

Violater

sk3tch said:
I second this. I'm in S.V.E.R. and use the LMG + reload + reflex sight + foregrip + improved stability (my latest acquisition :))...it's pretty awesome. I thought the LMG was great before the upgraded to improved stability...but now it is insane.

When I started the retail game I accidentally went down the assault rifle tree a bit...and the guns lacked punch...even the upgraded one.

Is the general consensus that the medium machine gun (S.V.E.R.: PSK MG) is not worth the 5 points? Should I just stick with the LMG?

Stick with the LMG, invest the rest of your points in athleticism or electronic gear, med/repair kit goes without saying.

sk3tch

Violater said:
Stick with the LMG, invest the rest of your points in athleticism or electronic gear, med/repair kit goes without saying.

Yeah I'm maxed in medic class and athleticism. Just looking to spice things up a bit with the guns. I love the LMG but I've been using it forever.

sk3tch said:

I would say no. I love the PSK, the starting LMG feels like you're throwing rocks at them in comparison. The PSK does way more damage. And in this game, since there is no auto aim, it really helps. Shooting at a guy running perpendicular to you can be a hassle because you keep having to reset your aim on him as he's running along. PSK puts them down so quickly that people moving out of your crosshairs isn't really an issue.

sk3tch said:
Yeah I'm maxed in medic class and athleticism. Just looking to spice things up a bit with the guns. I love the LMG but I've been using it forever.

I did get bored as well. Right now I'm running motion sensor + SMG

Nightz

So I called in sick yesterday and played this game pretty much the whole day. Went from level 21 to 31 and probably would have played more if Chuck wasn't on last night. Now I'm sitting here at work wishing I called in again. :lol

sk3tch

PedroLumpy said:
I would say no. I love the PSK, the starting LMG feels like you're throwing rocks at them in comparison. The PSK does way more damage. And in this game, since there is no auto aim, it really helps. Shooting at a guy running perpendicular to you can be a hassle because you keep having to reset your aim on him as he's running along. PSK puts them down so quickly that people moving out of your crosshairs isn't really an issue.

Hm...maybe I will just save up for the PSK before I leave the machine gun tree. The electronics stuff has me intrigued as well...I'd like to try that out, too.

I'm just wondering if I'm better going for a suppressor-equipped gun since I'm a support class and my main goal is to stay alive and keep the killers/defenders going. I mean, I go 12-5 often times but I don't stray much from there.

Nightz said:
So I called in sick yesterday and played this game pretty much the whole day. Went from level 21 to 31 and probably would have played more if Chuck wasn't on last night. Now I'm sitting here at work wishing I called in again. :lol

:) I took this Friday off because I have been jealous of all of you fools playing during 9-5 M-F in the US. :lol

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Nightz said:

What's your bosses phone number??? :lol

:|

jorma

is now taking requests
sk3tch said:

Also note that when medic class is maxed, you can spec out of resuscitation, since you only need improved resuscitation - sort of blew my mind when someone told me this. But i suppose that most people already know this.

Im gonna make a new PSN account, gonna roll Raven since it seems like a majority of GAF'ers are part of Raven.

Currently I do have a lvl 57 SVER soldier if anyone want to shoot me a friend request, same name PKM.

After I roll a Raven soldier who should I contact?
My hours are bit wonky tho..M-F 1am-5/6am, but normal on weekends.

I do have a few friends on SVER I know in RL that I tend to play with, we have a little clan and hook-up on every PS3 game. So if anyone needs a PS3/MAG SVER buddy with about 4-6 guys to play with let me know. Were all pretty adult (28-30ish) and we are real life friends so there can be some inside shit talking, all in all tho we work as team and you dont have to worry about squeaky voices or racial/sexist talk.

sk3tch

surefire1982 said:
My bad...i keep calling it red dot sight, but it's reflex sight.

Ah...gotcha. I will def. try that out first, then.

jorma said:
Also note that when medic class is maxed, you can spec out of resuscitation, since you only need improved resuscitation - sort of blew my mind when someone told me this. But i suppose that most people already know this.

Whoa...mind blown...that's a nice savings there! Thanks!

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
The PSK & MMG's have one specific use that will have you crying tears of laughter so hard that you cannot see straight to aim. :p

Get 2 buddys with MMG's, play Sab and when you're defending C line up so the three of you have the parachuting spawn in a three-way crossfire, shoot them as the meat-wagon delivers them each spawn, nothing will make you laugh as much as watching ALL EIGHT on average dying or falling from the sky as they, their parachutes or their parachute strings are shot.

We did this as a squad in one game of Sab for about 12 minutes once, I wish I'd recorded the squad chat as it was simply hilarious as slowly eveyone got in on the act, leaving the other squads to defend any that were intelligent enough to change their spawn. (Some did, but not enough to not provide us with 8 fresh bodies every time the plane came over)

:D

jorma said:

Mind blown. You just saved me 2 points.

What is the consensus on Valors Assault Riffles? I'm respcing out of the LMG class, since like a lot of people here it almost the only gun I've used all game. Seems like the SFCR-LW is the better gun for a silenced ninja class?

sk3tch

surefire1982 said:
Question for those that have the pre-ordrer armor..i've seen them on ebay for as low as $20...is it worth it?

I have the S.V.E.R. one...I don't even use it. It's 800cc which is nice (since you then have something to bridge the gap from 600cc to 1000cc)...but with all of my other kit (anti-personnel mines and medic kit, mainly) I don't have room.

I would definitely not pay more than $10 for any "exclusive" pre-order DLC for MAG. It's in the "nice to have" category. You never know, they may sell it later. I would wait and see. I couldn't believe that the Best Buy bulldog kit is going for like $50+!!! WTF people... :lol

surefire1982 said:
Question for those that have the pre-ordrer armor..i've seen them on ebay for as low as $20...is it worth it?

It costs 200 less than the heavy armor and it has the same stats.

Happened to me several times that I have 200 left on nothing to spend, or needed additional 200 for heavy armor. So, if the same is happening to you and you want to max-out your build, go for it.

Noshino

Pkm said:
Im gonna make a new PSN account, gonna roll Raven since it seems like a majority of GAF'ers are part of Raven.

Currently I do have a lvl 57 SVER soldier if anyone want to shoot me a friend request, same name PKM.

After I roll a Raven soldier who should I contact?
My hours are bit wonky tho..M-F 1am-5/6am, but normal on weekends.

I do have a few friends on SVER I know in RL that I tend to play with, we have a little clan and hook-up on every PS3 game. So if anyone needs a PS3/MAG SVER buddy with about 4-6 guys to play with let me know. Were all pretty adult (28-30ish) and we are real life friends so there can be some inside shit talking, all in all tho we work as team and you dont have to worry about squeaky voices or racial/sexist talk.

There is usually 1 or 2 officers online (kowak most of the time :lol ), unfortunately today I don't get out til 6-7, so I won't be able to send you a clan invitation

Lagspike_exe said:
It costs 200 less than the heavy armor and it has the same stats.

Happened to me several times that I have 200 left on nothing to spend, or needed additional 200 for heavy armor. So, if the same is happening to you and you want to max-out your build, go for it.

Ok, i'm not sure if this is true, but I've read on the MAG forums that this is a bug...as for buying it off ebay, i'll take weekend_warrior's advice and just save my money :)

TheFallen

surefire1982 said:
Ok, i'm not sure if this is true, but I've read on the MAG forums that this is a bug...as for buying it off ebay, i'll take weekend_warrior's advice and just save my money :)
Yea, it's true, but it's definitely a bug they'll fix soon.

dorkimoe

thanks to poop and whoever else invited me yesterday. Accidentely left my ps3 on while getting ready for work. Should be on in a few hours and gonna send invites out, i want a gaf group damn it

Kowak

Banned
i was just dominate in the four games i played. 3 1st place mvps and one second place.

the second place mvp, was so dam annoying. i had french guys the only ones using mics and an italian dude stabbed me in the back when discharging the bunker. i thought i had just missed deactivating it by half a second but then noticed the bunker was ok and then robertoluca(in blue) knives kowak2009. what was impressive was that we held our bunker for 23 minutes. i would have been 1st mvp if i had set the frago to the burnoff just before i cluster bomb killed 6 of them.

in my final game I took out a whole squad of sver holding down C on raven dom. thankfully someone chucked smoke up there and i started picking off everyone up there.

i cant decide which is the easiest map on the game, raven dom or valor acq. i had never really noticed how easy it is to get to the raven ship AAA.

PuMa

weekend_warrior said:
Mind blown. You just saved me 2 points.

What is the consensus on Valors Assault Riffles? I'm respcing out of the LMG class, since like a lot of people here it almost the only gun I've used all game. Seems like the SFCR-LW is the better gun for a silenced ninja class?

I've been using the battle rifle for a while now (highest tier AR). I love it with the suppressor attachment. With only 25 bullets in each magazine, you have to be accurate though. I also use the 4x scope.

PuMa said:
I've been using the battle rifle for a while now (highest tier AR). I love it with the suppressor attachment. With only 25 bullets in each magazine, you have to be accurate though. I also use the 4x scope.

Well, then you're much better than me with the PS3 controller...with the 4x scope i feel like a spastic moron trying to keep my crosshairs on the target

Mesijs

But guys... is it actually true that in the end, the light machine gun in the last tier of the Raven tree is significantly worse than the lmg before it...? Kind of baffled by it...

ibu

OK SVER peeps, we are going to be all on go from 9:45 GMT (London)

So thats a 1hr 25minutes from now.

I shall be sending out invites as soon as I get back online at that time.

Lets get a good showing, if you have plans cancel them, a date, cancel it.

A girlfriend, get her to make the refreshments.

This is not just a war... this is family!

Over and out!

Lince

Banned
ibu said:
OK SVER peeps, we are going to be all on go from 9:45 GMT (London)

So thats a 1hr 25minutes from now.

I shall be sending out invites as soon as I get back online at that time.

Lets get a good showing, if you have plans cancel them, a date, cancel it.

Over and out!

you didn't mention Bioshock 2 so I'm good :D

...ok I'll play with you guys from 10:00 GMT, keep power leveling guys, we need to switch over Valor soon.

sk3tch

ibu said:
lets get a good showing, if you have plans cancel them, a date, cancel it.

Over and out!
:lol Awesome...

I'm stuck in Central standard time in the U.S....still working and I have to deal with a meeting at 5PM today (2.5 hrs from now)...ARGH.

Going to re-spec tonight to 2nd tier AR with suppressor. Taking Friday off to level a bunch...only at 37 now.

Liberty4all

Banned
Mesijs said:
But guys... is it actually true that in the end, the light machine gun in the last tier of the Raven tree is significantly worse than the lmg before it...? Kind of baffled by it...

It's all preference.

THe 3rd tier gun shoots a tad slower however it does more damage per bullet. My experience is that up close it tears people apart, but accuracy drops off at longer range (compared to 1st tier LMG)

My opinion -- 3rd tier LMG is not worth the 5 extra points. The 1st tier LMG is ridiculoulsly overpowered as it is ... ride that train until it's nerfed.

icechai

IPoopStandingUp said:

yeah its a lot more fun now. I was really surprised when the waves just kept coming. Glad people are balancing this game out.

Is it only me and J-rez that support the Sniper? On attack side having 1 sniper is great on your team because the .50 sniper rifle can hurt turrets, so you're helping take down turrets from long range, then move up / heal your team and find a position to camp any defusing people. This goes for all objectives. Of course when you're running places in between it helps to have the extended knife reach ability :) Also snipers take out window people in objective areas real fast, so having 1 on your side to kill enemy fire works well towards the end of the mission.

ibu

So I am waiting on you all to get out of games, to get online and converge as one.

We shall move sleek like water from a ducks back, the wind blowing through our hair as we communicate via whispers in our headsets.

"Sniper!" shouted through my headset.

"Tango Down"

"Affirmative... threat subdued"

SVER 99.9% need not apply

Go go go team!! lets get on!

Kowak

Banned
raven are truly shit. we couldnt even secure the cooling towers. its so frustrating as i know i am shit yet i managed to destroyed 4 bunkers by myself and secure the cooling towers twice but then would always get swamped while the rest of the team tried to run off and destroy mortar/sensory jams first.

Mesijs said:

The guns don't always get better in all the tiers, the guns just are different. The 2nd raven LMG is not as accurate but it does more damage.

Most of the guns in the game in higher tier have trade offs, the guns rarely just become overall superior.

J-Rzez

So, since everyone likes to complain about SVER, time to complain about Valor and Raven, who have far better camo.

And, once again, was getting one-shotted in APC's by Raven Panzerfausts.

I noticed Valor is getting a bit better overall.

Now when we pick our game modes it's: "Hey guys, want to play Valor (Domination) or Raven (Acq)".

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Man, more and more squadleaders and just frago'ing whatever it is that THEY are doing, or at least it seems that way.

Top Bottom