• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

TheFallen

Seems like afternoon players are the worst. I was kicked TWICE (as SL) from matches today within the first 30 secs. Nobody said anything on the mics either time. The MAG community is so awful.

Cruzader

Banned
TheFallen said:
Seems like afternoon players are the worst. I was kicked TWICE (as SL) from matches today within the first 30 secs. Nobody said anything on the mics either time. The MAG community is so awful.
The Socom Effect.

Something I feared and will be in any Zipper game, sadly.

TheFallen

Cruzader said:
The Socom Effect.

Something I feared and will be in any Zipper game, sadly.
Oh, make that three matches I was kicked from today. I was told I was a fag when they began the vote kick immediately once the match started. Despite setting the FRAGO. Yea. I'm pretty much done playing with anyone but GAF, and only at night.

Article on mag up on certain blog about joys and sticks with Zipper. They say they have lot of planned additions for the game, and that they are working on balance updates as well while the blog obviously put forth that SVER is overpowered it seems :lol

They joining IGN with the SVER hate

jorma

is now taking requests
TheFallen said:

It's weird, but stuff like that never happens to me. Never got kicked, never knifed in the back when i was arming/disarming. Terrible squadleaders sure, and once a squadleader yelled at me (and i mean yelled like the barn was on fire) to get out of the turret so that he could have it - but that's about it.

TheFallen said:
Oh, make that three matches I was kicked from today. I was told I was a fag when they began the vote kick immediately once the match started. Despite setting the FRAGO. Yea. I'm pretty much done playing with anyone but GAF, and only at night.

Are you one of those assholes that likes to start a match by knifing a teammate in the back? Otherwise I can't imagine why you'd be isolated and kicked 3 times.

TheFallen said:

I was kicked yesterday because I was in a squad with six clan members and I was awarded platoon leader. They figured they had a shot of acquiring the role if they kicked me and promptly proceeded to do so. I do wish they'd handle leadership roles in a more round robin way (like during the beta) because I could see this being common place and I'm not sure how new players are going to get leadership points a few months from now once everyone has more leadership experience.

fry said:
I was kicked yesterday because I was in a squad with six clan members and I was awarded platoon leader. They figured they had a shot of acquiring the role if they kicked me and promptly proceeded to do so. I do wish they'd handle leadership roles in a more round robin way (like during the beta) because I could see this being common place and I'm not sure how new players are going to get leadership points a few months from now once everyone has more leadership experience.
What a despicable, immature act. Raven GAF would never stoop to that level.

theBishop

Banned
Has anyone got the sidearm ribbon? Does the LMG count?

I'd like to get the "Devil Dog" trophy, but 5 ribbons for 30 sidearm kills in one round is lunacy with the pistol.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How exactly do the jammer and motion sensor work? I finally unlocked the jammer last night and was cruising around with it.

Does it make your team harder to detect by both UAVs and enemy motion sensors? Are there any other factors that it "jams"?

And when you have a motion sensor, does it just show you where the enemy is with red dots on the map, or do they show up on your screen as well? Does it make anyone you motion sense show up for the entire squad and/or team?

templeusox said:
What a despicable, immature act. Raven GAF would never stoop to that level.

Despicable was their personal attacks because I play a medic. I guess healing/reviving your teammates makes you, to paraphrase, less of a man.

While it is something I would never do, I can understand the frustration. When I play with my buddy, he can never achieve a higher leadership role because of my leadership experience. I've just stopped applying for leadership roles so he can get his experience up. I think the system they have in place for assigning roles needs to be tweaked.

That sidearm ribbon is crazy. I thought the knife kill one was a stretch (it's actually easy to get when attacking S.V.E.R. on Sabotage) but I can't imagine getting 30 pistol kills in a match. I might have gotten 10 in one match.

TheFallen

weekend_warrior said:
Are you one of those assholes that likes to start a match by knifing a teammate in the back? Otherwise I can't imagine why you'd be isolated and kicked 3 times.
Of course not. I don't TK at all, not even for revenge. I know what I'm doing.*

except when trying to drive during lag/rubberbanding with Violator in the turret.

ibu

Some good games tonight SVER, nice to see many more of us on. Last night was rather quiet when I was playing. I think from now on I will play other games during the day and wait for the rest of the SVER folks to come on in the late night (for me in the UK at least) gang.

Where is Lince btw? Havent seen him for a few days... shocker!

Fuck that was a long session. God games though SVERGAF.

1. Who the hell is Butterstick? He kills lots of people.

2. Scavenging is way harder to do than it should be

3. Why do no Valor people put Foregrips on their LMGs?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
God damn I sucked today. At first I was blaming the new PS3 controller I got but when I used my old one, I did somewhat better, but still was doing poorly.

Chrange

Banned
TheFallen said:

It's killing the game for me. With my schedule the only time I can really play is during the early afternoon and the groups I get stuck with are making the game a whole lot less fun.

Kak.efes

ibu said:
Some good games tonight SVER, nice to see many more of us on. Last night was rather quiet when I was playing. I think from now on I will play other games during the day and wait for the rest of the SVER folks to come on in the late night (for me in the UK at least) gang.

I was only there for a couple of games, but had to turn my mic off, as I was trying to multi task being OIC/Platoon Leader, while taking a pretty important phone call. I don't think it mattered though.

icechai

playing the battlefield 2 bc demo just made me really appreciate this game's scope, frago, hud, and notices on points and what gets destroyed. Sure, BC2 has better gfx, but the scope and accessibility is far worse than MAG :)

TheFallen

Chrange said:
It's killing the game for me. With my schedule the only time I can really play is during the early afternoon and the groups I get stuck with are making the game a whole lot less fun.
Yea, that sucks. I'll lose some sleep to play it late at night with SVER GAF only because MAG is a great game and the afternoons make it unbearable.

Corran Horn said:
God damn I sucked today. At first I was blaming the new PS3 controller I got but when I used my old one, I did somewhat better, but still was doing poorly.
I just finally converted to the Dualshock 3 from the old Sixaxis and man I've been thinking the same! Some weird things happen with my triggers, like it drops iron sights often despite me holding the button. I was a beast before, now not so much.

icechai said:
playing the battlefield 2 bc demo just made me really appreciate this game's scope, frago, hud, and notices on points and what gets destroyed. Sure, BC2 has better gfx, but the scope and accessibility is far worse than MAG :)
Yea, going from MAG to BFBC2 is a little strange. Couldn't really tell what was going on and had trouble getting used to the controls over there first. WTF at the run? It seems like a very different game (more so than BF1943 was for me). Not that it's a bad thing... perhaps I'd pick it up if there's a decent GAF following and got a taste for the other maps. Nice alternative to MAG nights.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Had 2 great games with Ibu, Jonny Rzeznick, a few others that names escape me (I'm Weak_Spot btw for those that didn't know). I had to leave, I had a pounding headache during that last match and struggled to even focus.

Oh and lol@having a female OIC. It was a female right? I like to think that rather than a pre teen boy was talking to us giving us updates every 7 mins. I kept looking over my shoulder to see if pedobear was standing in the doorway.:lol

jorma

is now taking requests
Oh, yeah - i was defending a Sabo map versus SVER yesterday and as i respawned, there were some SVER people ambushing us from behind.

Now i spawned with a motion-detector so we managed to turn around kill them fairly quickly, but i thought they weren't even supposed to be able to get there?

They were actually inside the room we spawn in, and if they had been better players they probably could have murdered us for the rest of the game, seeing as we'd spawn with our backs toward them every time.

That can't be right. Or can it? I figured there would be those red lines "you are now leaving the combat area" protecting the spawn...

uraldix

So when is everyone leaving SVER? I am at 60 but I am going to stick it out for a while as my brother is only at like 48 or so.

sk3tch

icechai said:

TheFallen said:
Yea, going from MAG to BFBC2 is a little strange. Couldn't really tell what was going on and had trouble getting used to the controls over there first. WTF at the run? It seems like a very different game (more so than BF1943 was for me). Not that it's a bad thing... perhaps I'd pick it up if there's a decent GAF following and got a taste for the other maps. Nice alternative to MAG nights.

I'm surprised you guys thought that BF:BC2 looks better? I played the demo for the first time on both 360 and PS3 this morning and found MAG to be a better looking game. I was also surprised that the 360 version seemed to look better/run smoother, too. I put about 30 minutes into each platform.

TheFallen said:
I just finally converted to the Dualshock 3 from the old Sixaxis and man I've been thinking the same! Some weird things happen with my triggers, like it drops iron sights often despite me holding the button. I was a beast before, now not so much.

If you're having trigger (L2/R2) probs, get the dual triggers for $5 from your local game store or on Amazon.com. Well worth it. Simple but very effective.

link

icechai said:

Odd, BC2 is pretty straight forward game, not sure how it's not accessible. Problem to me with MAG is the lack of accessibility and poor documentation, players are all so lost on everything and generally need others to explain things. There's also the general familiarity people have with the series from previous installments in the bf series.

The scope is surely smaller (it's better on pc with more players) though.

uraldix said:
So when is everyone leaving SVER? I am at 60 but I am going to stick it out for a while as my brother is only at like 48 or so.
I'm probably leaving tonight, but haven't decided yet if I'm going to Raven or Valor.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Is anyone else in Valor?

Is there a ValorGAF?

Invites plz: SeoulPatch

Lince

Banned
ibu said:

playing Bioshock 2... I'm done with it already so today I'll be back in MAG, when are we switching over to Valor anyway?

uraldix

Lince said:
playing Bioshock 2... I'm done with it already so today I'll be back in MAG, when are we switching over to Valor anyway?

Are you guys going to assign new officers and a new leader so that we can keep the SVER clan going?

Darvan

Just got a message from GNN_OliviaDarby.

Conflict deep in southeast Asia is rumored to be the doings of PMCs. GNN correspondent is flying out there first thing in the morning.

sk3tch

Fixed1979 said:
Sorry to the guys I bailed on last night, my PS3 has froze three nights in a row now...starting to get worried.

If it's in any kind of remotely closed space you should consider pulling it out and placing it on the floor or put it in a different area. Mine (60GB PS3) would get SUPER hot and loud and in one case it actually crashed. I pulled it out and placed it on my hardwood floor and now it is solid.

Probably not necessary for most usages...but I play MAG for hours sometimes so I figure it's worth taking the extra step.

Darvan said:
Just got a message from GNN_OliviaDarby.

Conflict deep in southeast Asia is rumored to be the doings of PMCs. GNN correspondent is flying out there first thing in the morning.

Whats this? Some hint at some possible dlc?

I seriously hope though that all the talk of the gaming being a "platform" doesn't mean them trying to sell every little thing.

BattleMonkey said:
Whats this? Some hint at some possible dlc?

I seriously hope though that all the talk of the gaming being a "platform" doesn't mean them trying to sell every little thing.

zomg Asian PMC? i'm in!

thaOwner

Lince said:
I made the swtich just now and we won our first match in sabotage...:D

Lince

Banned
uraldix said:
Are you guys going to assign new officers and a new leader so that we can keep the SVER clan going?

of course SVER GAF will go on, any officer/leader switching factions will be appointing a new officer/leader beforehand, sitting all the time at lvl 60 defending the same map over and over is getting somewhat boring, even though the core mechanics of MAG are brilliant and fun to play I need my new weapons, unlocks, etc.

zonezeus

Whoa, I think folks at Valor are slowly learning how to beat SVER on their Domination map. I scored my first (after almost a week of playing) win vs SVER in Domination today and we came pretty close in two other fights. Plus I got my first win as a Squad Leader and people didn't even try to kick me out from the squad, so I must have been at least decent :lol

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Its easier to defend with SVER. At least that's my observation.

But the game is set up like that, right? Valor is balanced, SVER is more defensive and Raven is more offensive?

uraldix

Lince said:
of course SVER GAF will go on, any officer/leader switching factions will be appointing a new officer/leader beforehand, sitting all the time at lvl 60 defending the same map over and over is getting somewhat boring, even though the core mechanics of MAG are brilliant and fun to play I need my new weapons, unlocks, etc.

I am getting bored with it as well. I started using the SMG and Shotty to mix things up a bit but once you have defended a map 150 times, weapon changes don't have much of an impact. I am giving my brother until Sunday to make level 60 or I am leaving him behind :D.

Top Bottom