• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

sk3tch

ARGH...I have a modern plasma (Samsung, purchased early last year) but I wish there was something that could be done to minimize the burn-in from MAG. The objectives in the top middle of the screen and the squad listing on the bottom right are MURDER. I am super careful with my set...but playing MAG creates burn-in that can't be defended against - and I play for hours at a time.

It goes away but I have to run my anti-burn in mode for quite some time. I don't even know how to propose a solution to this, really...just bitching, I guess. Heh.

spwolf

sk3tch said:
ARGH...I have a modern plasma (Samsung, purchased early last year) but I wish there was something that could be done to minimize the burn-in from MAG. The objectives in the top middle of the screen and the squad listing on the bottom right are MURDER. I am super careful with my set...but playing MAG creates burn-in that can't be defended against - and I play for hours at a time.

It goes away but I have to run my anti-burn in mode for quite some time. I don't even know how to propose a solution to this, really...just bitching, I guess. Heh.

if it goes away, it is retention... nothing you or they can do about it when game has interface...

sk3tch

spwolf said:
if it goes away, it is retention... nothing you or they can do about it when game has interface...

Yeah, I shouldn't have said it goes away...rather it *looks* like it will go away. The screen saver has been running (it's a white/black gradient that scrolls across) for a couple hours and it is getting better and better - very gradually.

surefire1982 said:
Yeah, now that you mention it, that'd be more likely...they did mention a possible 4th PMC, but it's likely too early...

Well the fluff behing SVER mentions they are partially Asian as well so not sure if they would use Asians for a 4th PMC, nor do I think it's a good idea to add a 4th PMC to further split the player base.

sk3tch said:
Yeah, I shouldn't have said it goes away...rather it *looks* like it will go away. The screen saver has been running (it's a white/black gradient that scrolls across) for a couple hours and it is getting better and better - very gradually.

hmm...that sucks. I have an LCD tv right now, but want to upgrade to a bigger plasma sometime this year...hopefully burn in isn't that big of an issue in games...

Last night went pretty bad for me. I really quickly threw in some points I had on my character for a scope on the assault rifle, and jumped into Clicks squad. I spawn in and i freakin have a sniper rifle in my loadout 1. So i had to play the whole time as a sniper which i don't ever play. Then on the next game, i ahd to get used to using that scope on the assault rifel. I don't care much for it. I'm gettting kind of close to being able to respec so Im going to have to definetely do that. I would have rather put those points into stability or something.

uraldix

TrAcEr_x90 said:
Last night went pretty bad for me. I really quickly threw in some points I had on my character for a scope on the assault rifle, and jumped into Clicks squad. I spawn in and i freakin have a sniper rifle in my loadout 1. So i had to play the whole time as a sniper which i don't ever play. Then on the next game, i ahd to get used to using that scope on the assault rifel. I don't care much for it. I'm gettting kind of close to being able to respec so Im going to have to definetely do that. I would have rather put those points into stability or something.

I hated the 4X scope on the Assault Rifle. It was ok on med/long range but I couldn't track people very well at short range. The Reflex Sight works 10X better IMO.

uraldix said:
I hated the 4X scope on the Assault Rifle. It was ok on med/long range but I couldn't track people very well at short range. The Reflex Sight works 10X better IMO.

This.

I couldn't stand the 4x scope..when i respec i'll be getting 2 more points to put into something else

sk3tch

uraldix said:

surefire1982 said:
This.

I couldn't stand the 4x scope..when i respec i'll be getting 2 more points to put into something else

Yup, I should have listened to you guys the other day. I re-spec'd from LMG tier 1 to AR tier 2. Tried the 4x scope first...WOW...horrible. The reflex scope/red dot scope is leagues better. I can even semi-snipe with it when the situation calls.

I'm not sure what it is, exactly...but I think it is because the actual dot for aiming is so small to even impossible to see on the 4x that it affects things. And what is up with the gradient? it's not like it is a rocket or grenade launcher...I'm shooting bullets here...just give me a damn dot not a gradient!

JesseZao

I'm thinking about getting this soon, just a couple questions. My friends are all on Live, so I don't have anyone I could play with on my PSN friends list. Would my experience jumping in solo still be enjoyable? Basically, do people generally use mics and work together?

uraldix

JesseZao said:
I'm thinking about getting this soon, just a couple questions. My friends are all on Live, so I don't have anyone I could play with on my PSN friends list. Would my experience jumping in solo still be enjoyable? Basically, do people generally use mics and work together?

Pick a faction and sign up here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385029

The game is much more enjoyable with a clan. Page one has a list of people in each faction but there are some people that will be switching to Valor soon.

JesseZao said:

I recently got a PS3 so I don't have many Ps3 friends at all. I fly solo in MAG a lot. While the majority don't use mics, (1)you can enjoy MAG without having to talk strategy and have a plan all the time. Sure, you might not always win, but similar to a quiet team in COD4, you can still have fun and get win and (2)You could always join play with GAF, no?

sk3tch

JesseZao said:

I recommend Sabotage as a great mode to play if you're flying solo. It's simple enough (capture A, B, then C or defend A, B, then C) that mics aren't essential. It's still a good idea to get mic'd up, though. PSN needs more folks with mics! It's not like you have to be chatty Cathy. I barely talk on it. I just use it for giving people info, etc.

JesseZao

sk3tch said:
I recommend Sabotage as a great mode to play if you're flying solo. It's simple enough (capture A, B, then C or defend A, B, then C) that mics aren't essential. It's still a good idea to get mic'd up, though. PSN needs more folks with mics! It's not like you have to be chatty Cathy. I barely talk on it. I just use it for giving people info, etc.

Yeah, I'll try that mode out first then. I normally just chat for game related info as well when I don't know anyone. Hopefully I'll have the game by the end of the weekend.

methane47

surefire1982 said:
This.

With the Vipera2 + accessories... I dont have to pull up sights for close-medium range since there is absolutely no recoil and the bullets go straight down the center.

Valor seems to have figured out how to disarm doors from the opposite side now too. I saw it happen in front of me several times in a row last night.

methane47 said:
With the Vipera2 + accessories... I dont have to pull up sights for close-medium range since there is absolutely no recoil and the bullets go straight down the center.

Yeah, since I'm raven i was considering getting the F90 + reflex/suppressor....

sk3tch said:

Yep. I have a plasma from within the last year. I was super cautious at first, but at some point you have to realize that while HUD elements will be retained for a bit, they will not permanently burn in. Some say you should be outside of the danger zone of the first 125 hours of use, but even that is seen as overly cautious.

In general, MAG does a good job keeping static elements not so static. Case in point, the objectives outside of the area covered by the minimap spin around the border as you turn around. This essentially is wiping what would normally be a burned-in static square.

Turn on the TV when you are done playing MAG and let it run for a bit. There is no need to run anti-burn in mode unless you are trying to be quick as possible. Everything while wipe the slate clean, but the new thing might have some new elements that will be retained.

andycapps

Was so dumb trying to take SVER's domination map last night with that gate glitch in full effect. We took their bunkers and burnoff towers and were trying to get into their points.. So 1 guy would run up, he'd arm it, they'd immediately disarm from the inside. Rinse and repeat for the last 10 minutes of the game. So it just turned into team deathmatch for me in reviving teammates by the gate and shooting through the windows and killing the other team as they tried to disarm or pick our guys off. Ended up getting something like 500 points.

uraldix

andycapps said:
Was so dumb trying to take SVER's domination map last night with that gate glitch in full effect.

I'm in SVER and I am tired of that glitch. The only way in is to go around the back and no one ever does that. There is a lot more XP to be gotten when the letters are actually contested. Not to mention that the game is more fun.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
andycapps said:
Was so dumb trying to take SVER's domination map last night with that gate glitch in full effect. We took their bunkers and burnoff towers and were trying to get into their points.. So 1 guy would run up, he'd arm it, they'd immediately disarm from the inside. Rinse and repeat for the last 10 minutes of the game. So it just turned into team deathmatch for me in reviving teammates by the gate and shooting through the windows and killing the other team as they tried to disarm or pick our guys off. Ended up getting something like 500 points.
:(
I was dealing with that last night. Was annoying. Had to throw poison grenades through the window and hoped i placed right to scare people away for long enough to blow the gate :/

TheFallen

I'm 60 now. So when the rest of the core members of SVER GAF are ready to head to Valor let me know. Gonna cut my MAG playing down until we do.

TelemachusD said:
Valor seems to have figured out how to disarm doors from the opposite side now too. I saw it happen in front of me several times in a row last night.
Yea! I saw that in the same match with you. I was gonna say something to you guys but my mic was dead around 2am (est).

ibu

TheFallen said:
I'm 60 now. So when the rest of the core members of SVER GAF are ready to head to Valor let me know. Gonna cut my MAG playing down until we do.

Yea! I saw that in the same match with you. I was gonna say something to you guys but my mic was dead around 2am (est).

I am lagging behind, not had many hardcore sessions and going to be off all this weekend. I am only level 40 atm... but levelled up by 7 levels y'day and today.

I am hoping to be 60 soon and then I can join you lot.

andycapps

Corran Horn said:
:(
I was dealing with that last night. Was annoying. Had to throw poison grenades through the window and hoped i placed right to scare people away for long enough to blow the gate :/

That's a good idea too to cope with that glitch... I haven't unlocked those yet though as I've been maxing out my LMG. Just got increased stability yesterday and feel like a god.

sk3tch said:

sorry to hear that. i have a plasma as well. i am lucky enough to never have experienced any burn in or image retention. does your particular set have a pixel orbiter? if you don't know you might want to check the settings. make sure that it is turned on. this will reduce/eliminate any IR or burn in you might incure. it will NOT get rid of any existing burn in however.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
TheFallen said:

I'm hoping to get to 60 in the next couple of days (47-48 now) and am keen to go to Valor as I wanted to save Raven for last anyway. Will be cool if most swap over. Imagine all the Ravens swapping to Valor too, we'll be unstoppable! :D

Kowak

Banned
Valor Maps make me so happy. They are just points feasts. Although my team must not have liked the fact that i had 400 points with 7 minutes gone in acq. while they were struggling as they tried to kick me.
welll i guess i was changing the frago to whatever bunker i was trying to destroy or the object near where i was sending a cluster bomb

Hey Click, I heard you say last night that you were surprised that I actually joined your group after several past invites. Well, I did join your group in the past, I just couldn't figure out how to join your game . . . I had no idea you had to wait. The game isn't very helpful in letting you know you're on a team, waiting for a match :)

Anyways, SVER, you guys impressed the hell out of me in our games last night. We didn't let any opponents past our first defend objective, even in the one match we lost. Plus, I had my first 1000+ XP game with you guys. I look forward to the next time!

It was also amazing to see all of us with 20-30+kills, and less than 10 deaths each. Monsters!

spwolf

surefire1982 said:
hmm...that sucks. I have an LCD tv right now, but want to upgrade to a bigger plasma sometime this year...hopefully burn in isn't that big of an issue in games...

Pannys have much less burn in issues than Samsungs, that are known for it... there will always be some retention, but it goes away quickly (at least on my panny plasma)... not really something you should be overly concerned on modern plasmas anymore.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
SirButterstick said:
Hey Click, I heard you say last night that you were surprised that I actually joined your group after several past invites. Well, I did join your group in the past, I just couldn't figure out how to join your game . . . I had no idea you had to wait. The game isn't very helpful in letting you know you're on a team, waiting for a match :)

When in a group in the menus, press Triangle to see the group/queue. It will tell you if you're waiting for a match or not.

Also, you can highlight a persons name in the Clan list (Why this isn't grouped into online/offline I have no idea!) and press right then Join. You might not be put in the same squad, but you'll be put in the same game if there is a space otherwise you get the 3:5/5:5 error.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Thanks for the invites/games yesterday SVER GAF (J-Rzez, Click etc.) I made kind of a tard of myself trying to shoot with the tank turret and got nicely told to "get off the fucking turret" but aside from being a stupid noob I think playing with a squad who knows what they're doing is helping me improve. Thinking of respeccing out of my assault rifle path and down to LMG after a few more levels though, frustrating as hell to unload a clip at a guy and have him take me down 5 seconds later with two shots after he sees me.

SirButterstick said:

Anyways, SVER, you guys impressed the hell out of me in our games last night. We didn't let any opponents past our first defend objective, even in the one match we lost. Plus, I had my first 1000+ XP game with you guys. I look forward to the next time!

It was also amazing to see all of us with 20-30+kills, and less than 10 deaths each. Monsters!

hahaha, dont ever put those standards on me man. I try my best to keep up with the sver guys, but hey, im always there to be healing people and bringin them back to the battle quickly.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Lately there's been very few ValorGAF on so I look forward to playing with the veterans!

SirButterstick said:

I wasn't really watching what you were doing in the match, but I always check the stats at the end and you topped the squad for kills in pretty much every match. I was impressed anyway.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Gen X said:
Had 2 great games with Ibu, Jonny Rzeznick, a few others that names escape me (I'm Weak_Spot btw for those that didn't know). I had to leave, I had a pounding headache during that last match and struggled to even focus.

Oh and lol@having a female OIC. It was a female right? I like to think that rather than a pre teen boy was talking to us giving us updates every 7 mins. I kept looking over my shoulder to see if pedobear was standing in the doorway.:lol

I was in these. I bet you it was like a 12 year old boy. "Friendly reminder ensure your mortars are up at the twenty minute mark!" It sounded like he had it written down and was reading from a card.

ibu

lobdale said:
I was in these. I bet you it was like a 12 year old boy. "Friendly reminder ensure your mortars are up at the twenty minute mark!" It sounded like he had it written down and was reading from a card.

They really need to track that kid down and have him voice over the game. It would be hilarious... I wish I had recorded it. It could have been the meme of 2010.

I cant wait to hit 60, will be going to Valor with the rest of my family.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Stupid MAG!

After playing the BF Bad Company 2 beta I was in love with that game. I even stopped playing the MAG beta all together because of it. Now, I can't stand the Bad Company 2 demo for more than 4 minutes. MAG ruined it for me. :-(

TheFallen

Don't know if this has been posted. But it's from a Joystiq interview with Zipper:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/11/interview-zippers-alan-van-slyke-on-mags-past-present-and-fu/

A lot of players have been complaining about the factions being somewhat unbalanced – S.V.E.R. in particular seems to be dominating all of the contracts every time I hop on the game. Do you think that has something with them being a stronger team? Or do you think there is some kind of balancing issue that has cropped up since launch?

It's actually kind of both. We've already released two or three patches post-launch. It's hard for me to remember because we always have a couple cooking in the oven here that we haven't released yet. We have two that are in the pipeline that'll be released in coming weeks – actually, my community manager will probably kill me for saying that, but we have a number of patches that are already baking.

But I think it's both. It's that, actually, if you look at the faction numbers, by percentage, by distribution, they're really like within a percent or two of each other; kind of 33, 33, 33. They're really close, but there definitely is the perception that S.V.E.R. is more powerful and we spent a lot of time internally looking at that and we'll definitely be reacting to that. I think that the current belief is that there's a couple of S.V.E.R. maps that are slightly easier to defend and so they end up defending it more often, and then they end up winning slightly more often, and then they gain slightly more experience, and then they're slightly higher levels and it kind of cascades.

So, even though I think we've done a good job balancing each faction's gear and weapons and maps, I think what we're seeing are slight imbalances, in the short term. The early experience curve is where people are really jumping ahead – the earlier part of the experience curve is far more conservative then the later part of the curve. So, in other words, to get from 1 to 20 is probably the same amount of experiences to get to from 50 to 51. I think you're seeing people jump out five levels, and then have five extra experience points, and then it feeds on itself a little bit.

When there's the slight perception that there's something different, then people will want to go to that faction, right? And so will the most talented players, the most hardcore players who are watching the forums, it'll imbalance it slightly more. It's something we're definitely aware of, and we've already got a number of fixes in the pipe. We're definitely committed to making sure all the maps, factions and gear is perfectly balanced.

theBishop

Banned
lobdale said:

Don't piss on good advice.

The life of an OIC is a lonely one.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I haven't seen Puma or any of the secondary captains on much this week....did you try the online matchup thread?

Yea the SVER disarming glitch is annoying. I dealt with it on both the doors and the gates earlier. Hopefully it will get a fix sometime soon.

My last two games today were rough and all caused by myself. I re-spec'd and barely changed any of my loadouts before the next 2 matches started. Nothing worse than only having three loadouts to choose from and not being happy with any of them.

Kak.efes

An observation after playing a couple of games as Valor.. there aren't nearly as many medics running around as on SVER. It was ridiculous.

Top Bottom