• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

J-Rzez

Madman said:
Anti-Valor propaganda. No surprise, considering how much ass Valor has been kicking. Seems like people finally understand how to beat Sver at Sabotage.

Either people developed common sense, or, many SVER switched to Valor.

sk3tch

J-Rzez said:

Yup...that is what I am guessing. Tonight Sabotage was quite a mess for S.V.E.R.

All of that unbalanced whining from earlier seems to have died down a bit?

Man, I took today off primarily to play MAG and I only hit level 45. Had some fun games with Gaffers, though...The Prez, sun-drop, weak_spot, PedroLumpy...and any others I forgot...sorry. :)

The AK-103 (top S.V.E.R. Assault Rifle) + reload + fore grip + reflex sight + improved stability + steady aim + suppressor just OWNS! Goodnight all.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Valor's much different with the SVER guys over here..finally fieldin full groups. Great to have you guys on this side.

TheFallen

worldrevolution said:
Valor's much different with the SVER guys over here..finally fieldin full groups. Great to have you guys on this side.
Not a problem, we enjoyed playing with you. Should be even better when a few more of the SVER guys come over.

It was really fun destroying SVER on sabotage last night. Valor's sabo map is also more interesting to defend than SVER's. It'll take a while to get used to, but I enjoy seeing some of the maps from the other side. It's too bad domination was unbearably laggy.

J-Rzez

TelemachusD said:
It was really fun destroying SVER on sabotage last night. Valor's sabo map is also more interesting to defend than SVER's. It'll take a while to get used to, but I enjoy seeing some of the maps from the other side. It's too bad domination was unbearably laggy.

Nonsense! I call shenanigans on destroying SVER on Domination. Their map is unbeatablez!

Well they just did maint tonight, so hopefully that would clear up any lag there. Can't wait to run Valor to the top, then go back to SVER. I love SVERs streak music, I remember valor's to be, uhh... lacking.

sk3tch said:
The AK-103 (top S.V.E.R. Assault Rifle) + reload + fore grip + reflex sight + improved stability + steady aim + suppressor just OWNS! Goodnight all.

Which is a little bizarre. Usually Zipper has done their homework on weapons, but I guess they're doing it for sake of balance. For example, the AN-94 fires differently in real life, something they accurately reproduced in their prior SOCOM. It has the most accurate 2-shot burst out there. It fires 2 incredibly fast shots, then goes to a slower fire rate for accuracy. It's been noted that those who are trained well can actually place the first two shots in the same exact spot.

Another oddity is the Super-V Kriss being a SVER weapon. It's a USA/Switz weapon actually. And it does come with more than 13 shots in a mag when equipped properly.

J-Rzez said:
Nonsense! I call shenanigans on destroying SVER on Domination. Their map is unbeatablez!
I said Sabotage. We lost attacking SVER on Domination, but only tried it a few times last night, because it was "I'm shooting a guy in the face when suddenly he warps 20 ft. across a street" laggy. It was slideshow laggy. It was game-ruining laaaaaaagggggggyyyyy.

Even without all the lag, it doesn't help they're all disarming doors from the inside, forcing you to go in easily flanked side and rear entrances. Valor can apparently do the same on some of their doors. Hopefully it gets patched out soon because it's an unfair and frustrating bug. (And I felt the same way about it when I was on SVER.)

We did lose once on SVER's Sabotage when literally half our team quit, and 6 of the remaining players decided to lay down and snipe in front of our spawn point.

Banned
So Im buying MAG today, first tax refund purchase :D and I just wanted some info before I jump in.

How long does it take to level up? I know the leadership and commander skills come at high levels, so I want to know how much I have to invest.

Is it true you can't change teams?

What team are most gaffers on? This sounds like a game that is much better if you can effectively communicate.

ibu

TheFallen said:
Not a problem, we enjoyed playing with you. Should be even better when a few more of the SVER guys come over.

I will be coming over to Valor next week. Finally will max out then switch over. Not online till Monday though.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Just did veteran from sver to raven - can i get a raven gaf invite? PSN is tigerheli. Thanks!

Lince

Banned
shame that Domination game on SVER map ruined by the lag, we had half their facility destroyed within the first couple of minutes.

Yes, nothing like logging on and seeing a bunch of people missing from SVER GAF. Lots of luck to you guys, I doubt I'll be following (up to 22 now tho). I don't have enough time to play sadly.

Prez, Johnny and I were together last night tho, and I don't recall losing a single match. Dear lord, does Raven not understand how to go on the offensive? Between APC suicide runs and more than 50% of a squad sniping from the same hill, I had to come up with ways to make my exp points since defending was becoming boring :p

andycapps

Violater said:
Clearly you have never played with us.
Sensor jammer has got us behind enemy lines so many times and made a muck of the enemies works. Not even firing a single bullet sometimes.
Bunkers fall AAA goes down SVER rains down chaos.

SO far I have played with Valor and they don't have a clue

J-rzez. Cagen, Click, FF, et.al. where the hell are you, I am jonesing for a reunion.
Lince and I cannot do it alone.

I was talking about him having light armor and the motion sensor and the jammer.. Was just saying he should unequip one of those so he can have a repair kit or med kit and let someone else in the squad equip the one that he took out. Of course sensor jammers are useful behind enemy lines.

Any RavenGAF going to be on in a bit? Wife is playing some flower now but I should be on in half an hour or so.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
andycapps said:
I was talking about him having light armor and the motion sensor and the jammer.. Was just saying he should unequip one of those so he can have a repair kit or med kit and let someone else in the squad equip the one that he took out. Of course sensor jammers are useful behind enemy lines.

Haha, yeah, I have a loadout that consists of lmg, med kit and jammer and decent armour which is specifically for 128/256 matches and today it paid off. I think it was Valors Dom map, not sure as I'm still getting used to starting from certain areas. Anyway, the left and rear part of the map still had the locks on the letters, obviously hadn't gotten past the burn off towers and bunkers but I ran around one side with jammer in hand and planted explosives on a mortar, sensor array, motor pool(?), 6 gates but then promptly died from an air strike. When I respawned someone had repaired the sensor array and almost finished the mortar. So I lay in the grass watching him, then as soon as it was complete, killed him and ran round the same route doing the same thing. 19 explosives set in that game. :lol

Went up from lvl 46 to 52 today and hoping to near 60 if not reach it by Monday night then I will switch to Valor.

Axiom

Got to say, picking up the end tier Raven machine gun made my field support life a lot easier, the only thing that sucks is that I don't have much cause to try the SMG or Shotgun now. Any reports?

Not got to play with much of Raven GAF but god this game is gold when you're squad is gelling, and you can tell you're not the only squad working together.

Jerrek

Neo Member
Just picked the game up, after playing the BFBC2 beta and demo religiously lately I am in for some relearning - so far I suck!

I know I should go back through the pages of the thread to look for advice, but could someone give me a quick run down of the tiered upgrades?

I want to get the silencer for the assault rifle but it is on tier 4 or 5, do I need to get upgrades in 1 2 and 3 before I can even get access to the silencer?

Pretty interesting game so far!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck these last couple levels are taking foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeever. I really wanna switch to Valor and get that Mod 0 after scavenging it so many times.

Also I'm 4 deaths away from my Purple Heart Medal. :(

Jerrek said:
Just picked the game up, after playing the BFBC2 beta and demo religiously lately I am in for some relearning - so far I suck!

I know I should go back through the pages of the thread to look for advice, but could someone give me a quick run down of the tiered upgrades?

I want to get the silencer for the assault rifle but it is on tier 4 or 5, do I need to get upgrades in 1 2 and 3 before I can even get access to the silencer?

Pretty interesting game so far!

I'd suggest going down the LMG tree, then Athleticism. A little after that you should have enough points to be able to respec down any tree you want if you wanna try something different.

J-Rzez

TelemachusD said:
I said Sabotage.

My bad, I meant to type in that instead lol.

CronosBlade said:
Yes, nothing like logging on and seeing a bunch of people missing from SVER GAF. Lots of luck to you guys, I doubt I'll be following (up to 22 now tho). I don't have enough time to play sadly.

Prez, Johnny and I were together last night tho, and I don't recall losing a single match. Dear lord, does Raven not understand how to go on the offensive? Between APC suicide runs and more than 50% of a squad sniping from the same hill, I had to come up with ways to make my exp points since defending was becoming boring :p

And that's the thing about Raven, they do that nearly all the time. To make things even worse, they're not that good at it. I'm not sure why they insist on doing it.

dorkimoe

well i got busy with work and school and bioshock 2 and mass effect 2 and women. Now im like 60 levels behind everyone. :(

Goodbye friends :(

JesseZao

I played a few games last night, finding out it may not be a game for me. I feel like I'd need to
spend a lot of time playing it to get enjoyment out of it and the basic gameplay isn't more fun
than BC or MW.
Possibly due to the fact that I am used to/prefer the xbox controller for shooters.
Maybe I'll give it a shot later on when all of the holiday delayed games have been played.

dorkimoe

JesseZao said:
I played a few games last night, finding out it may not be a game for me. I feel like I'd need to
spend a lot of time playing it to get enjoyment out of it and the basic gameplay isn't more fun
than BC or MW.
Possibly due to the fact that I am used to/prefer the xbox controller for shooters.
Maybe I'll give it a shot later on when all of the holiday delayed games have been played.

Took me awhile to get into it. Go for the ribbons, or get a group going. it adds to it

Madman

J-Rzez said:
If they have switched, they need to do more. Wins against Sver are still overly difficult and are often more luck then anything.

And that was a tongue-in-cheek post.

Raven starts winning more and more often in domation. I guess the good SVER players really started switching or RAVEN players finally understood the game :lol

Lince

Banned
Violater said:
I thought taking down the bunkers was impossible, yet we do it.
Then for some reason the squad looses its mind and runs off to do their own thing.

just have a look at the briefing screen before the game starts, 20-25 guys leave the game as soon as they notice the SVER map there. How many times have we got a full squad attacking SVER? none! :lol

it's usually 115 vs 60-70

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
FFObsessed said:
I am now Valor! MAN LOVE YES!

Please tell me there's an upgrade that gives me some fucking sleeves? :p

No, but I think you get a Tier 3 Banjo in the Close Quarters tree to go with your sleeveless tops. ;) :D

dazed808

FFObsessed said:
I am now Valor! MAN LOVE YES!

Please tell me there's an upgrade that gives me some fucking sleeves? :p

There's an option to equip a brown leather jacket. Unfortunately you die instantly from embarrassment.

Damn these last few levels seem to take an age to get through but I'll be joining you soon guyz:D

Pimpbaa

I just got this game, I don't get the complaints about the graphics in reviews. Sure other similar games might have better texturing but at least the graphics ain't cutting my eyes up with jaggies (IQ in this game is superb).

KZObsessed

Vennt said:
No, but I think you get a Tier 3 Banjo in the Close Quarters tree to go with your sleeveless tops. ;) :D

There's a banjo that plays when you spawn, no lie :lol

dazed808 said:
There's an option to equip a brown leather jacket. Unfortunately you die instantly from embarrassment.

:lol :lol :lol

Pimpbaa said:
I just got this game, I don't get the complaints about the graphics in reviews. Sure other similar games might have better texturing but at least the graphics ain't cutting my eyes up with jaggies (IQ in this game is superb).

Really? MAG is impressive, fun, and awesome but it's one of the ugliest games I've seen this generation. It's closing in on hideous.

KZObsessed

jonnybryce said:
Really? MAG is impressive, fun, and awesome but it's one of the ugliest games I've seen this generation. It's closing in on hideous.

Disagree. I think it's a great looking game. Looks better than R2, less aliasing than MW2 and at a higher resolution despite being 256 player. I find it very impressive.

minimoke

The only thing that lets it down in the graphics department are the low-res textures and a bit of draw-in. Apart from these two issues, the graphics are pretty good considering the scale.

commish

I'm not one to complain, but the more I play as the other factions, the more I see how crazy it is for sver.

icechai

TelemachusD said:
Even without all the lag, it doesn't help they're all disarming doors from the inside, forcing you to go in easily flanked side and rear entrances. Valor can apparently do the same on some of their doors. Hopefully it gets patched out soon because it's an unfair and frustrating bug. (And I felt the same way about it when I was on SVER.

you know you can prone by the door and shoot the defuser under the crack right? I'm surprised people don't do this more to guard against planting/defusing

I'm Lv.19 now and...

...I'm starting to get bored =(

Domination/Aquisition are just too messy for my taste. So I've been sticking to supression/sabotage and I dunno, I guess I'm a little burned out

Anyone else feel this way?

KZObsessed

The Valor randoms I've played with so far are so retarded. First Sabotage I got knifed by teammates 3 times...

Domination people are repairing the Bunkers at the end of the game instead of the AAA. Most weren't defending at all.

Acquisition everyone was just all over the place, they didn't once go to the FRAGO.

Level 45 Squad Leaders that don't know you need to take the bunkers first.

Fucking rednecks.

commish

FFObsessed said:
The Valor randoms I've played with so far are so retarded. First Sabotage I got knifed by teammates 3 times...

Domination people are repairing the Bunkers at the end of the game instead of the AAA. Most weren't defending at all.

Acquisition everyone was just all over the place, they didn't once go to the FRAGO.

Level 45 Squad Leaders that don't know you need to take the bunkers first.

Fucking rednecks.

I agree 100%. I know on some maps, SVER does have an advantage, but god, the teamwork and gameplay IQ on sver is so far above valor, I don't know what could be done to even the playing field. Maybe give everyone on valor a tank that can fly and drop nukes.

KZObsessed

commish said:
I agree 100%. I know on some maps, SVER does have an advantage, but god, the teamwork and gameplay IQ on sver is so far above valor, I don't know what could be done to even the playing field. Maybe give everyone on valor a tank that can fly and drop nukes.

We just had a Domination attack against SVER then, our level 45 squad leader parks the fucking APC behind the wall next to the burn off tower. So we just get camped from the beginning. We had to spawn on the APC and walk around the back in order to get to the bunkers. We take the bunkers fairly quickly, and I go off round towards the AAA Battery. Blow it up. Kill the 4-5 guys that come to repair it while the rest of the squad takes the other bunkers. Helicopters come in and we're set. We drive an APC up to the burnoff tower on the right, and it takes a short while but we take it and then move across and take the other one.

We had like 17 mins left at least with just the control panels to go. Our dick head squad leader then chooses to frago H which is the opposite side to where our helicopter spawn is and where our APC is. We then have to then run across to the other side of the map in order to get to it. Of course, some go and some don't splitting the squad. I managed to capture H a few times but there's no one else there s it gets taken back straight away. After that I thought fuck it and kept going to G, the other guys captured G but he switches the FRAGO to H during the capture so no one goes there to defend it so it's captured again. Every other squad gets no where of course.

Level 45 and not a fucking clue.

Top Bottom