• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Facism

FFObsessed said:
We just had a Domination attack against SVER then, our level 45 squad leader parks the fucking APC behind the wall next to the burn off tower. So we just get camped from the beginning. We had to spawn on the APC and walk around the back in order to get to the bunkers. We take the bunkers fairly quickly, and I go off round towards the AAA Battery. Blow it up. Kill the 4-5 guys that come to repair it while the rest of the squad takes the other bunkers. Helicopters come in and we're set. We drive an APC up to the burnoff tower on the right, and it takes a short while but we take it and then move across and take the other one.

We had like 17 mins left at least with just the control panels to go. Our dick head squad leader then chooses to frago H which is the opposite side to where our helicopter spawn is and where our APC is. We then have to then run across to the other side of the map in order to get to it. Of course, some go and some don't splitting the squad. I managed to capture H a few times but there's no one else there s it gets taken back straight away. After that I thought fuck it and kept going to G, the other guys captured G but he switches the FRAGO to H during the capture so no one goes there to defend it so it's captured again. Every other squad gets no where of course.

Level 45 and not a fucking clue.

You need me.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
polyh3dron said:
RavenGAF where are you guys? I'm playing with a bunch of foreign language speaking shitty playing randoms. FFUUUUUUUU
I might be on in like an hour or 2. Been working and working out. Got to do some online HW then I can play

KZObsessed

And why the hell doesn't anyone know how important the AAA is? If you hear the words "they've planted C4 on our AAA!" FRAGO it you redneck retard! And if it's not FRAGO'd get your ass over there anyway. It's not rocket science ffs. Then when it inevitably says "they've destroyed our AAA Battery!" because no one went there, go and repair it! Jeez.

KZObsessed

We just beat SVER in Acquisition easily but it was pathetic how shit these Valor players were. We go down the left and take the first bunker no problem. I make my way straight to the AAA and blow it while everyone else takes over the bunkers. Bam, the hard part is done. Each time 20 people parachute in right over the AAA Battery and I'm the only one who actually turns around and tries to kill the 5-6 guys who are there trying to repair it. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TURN AROUND after you land, is that so hard? We almost lost that because they got it back up. I had to message the idiot squad leader 5 times to get him to FRAGO the AAA Battery again. Clueless.

elfinke

Wes said:
You've been spoilt.

Ugliest this gen? Wow, just wow. Richly detailed maps with stuff that feels like it belongs in it, solid framerate at both 720 and 1080p, huge draw distance that doesn't terminate in a 2d skybox. I thought aliasing and low res textures aside, it's a glorious place to spend your evening.

Anyway, aside from a distinct lack of Aussies on our supposedly 'dedicated' server, I'm absolutely loving my time steamrolling y'all in Sabotage. That seems to be the sweetspot.

Varth

Anybody knows exactly what the requirements for repair ribbons are?

When it says "repair X" does it mean "do it from beginning to end", "participate in repairing fo a point at least" "be there repairing when it goes back online" or what?

FFObsessed said:
And why the hell doesn't anyone know how important the AAA is? If you hear the words "they've planted C4 on our AAA!" FRAGO it you redneck retard! And if it's not FRAGO'd get your ass over there anyway. It's not rocket science ffs. Then when it inevitably says "they've destroyed our AAA Battery!" because no one went there, go and repair it! Jeez.

This can not be stressed enough. Valor hasn't learned yet that AAA >>>>> cooling towers.

What exactly is the importance of cooling towers anyways? Anytime I'm Squad leader I pull the frago off the cooling towers and put it on the bunker at the first sign the attackers are getting ready to spring an attack on it. I could care less if the towers fall.

Noshino

Varth said:
Anybody knows exactly what the requirements for repair ribbons are?

When it says "repair X" does it mean "do it from beginning to end", "participate in repairing fo a point at least" "be there repairing when it goes back online" or what?

Well, for me it was til they were fully repaired (not necessarily from the beginning), otherwise I would have tons of engineer ribbons :lol

Oh, I ll be on later today, went to work out earlier today, woke up an hour ago, played the Heavy Rain demo (freaking awesome!), let me get something to eat and I ll go online

weekend_warrior said:
This can not be stressed enough. Valor hasn't learned yet that AAA >>>>> cooling towers.

What exactly is the importance of cooling towers anyways? Anytime I'm Squad leader I pull the frago off the cooling towers and put it on the bunker at the first sign the attackers are getting ready to spring an attack on it. I could care less if the towers fall.

Capturing both cooling towers allows you to attack the pump controls.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
weekend_warrior said:

Ideally you want to keep Cooling Towers/Burnoff Towers up as long as possible so then they cannot damage your fuel reserves (or whatever it damages). But when push comes to shove, AAA>Bunker>Towers

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Great Domination defense RavenGAF, a very deserved win with RavenGAF's squad manically looking after the two bunkers, roadblock, AAA and a cooling tower almost single-handed, not sure where the other bunkers squad went, seemed MIA to me, possibly went off in paddle boats around the docks because they sure as shit weren't in the battle :lol

So a frantic and utterly non-stop defense of territory far too large for one squad was held in a heroic manner, for the win. Nicely led Darvan. :)

Jerrek

Neo Member
Could I possibly get an invite to RavenGAF? Just hit level 10 and am feeling lonely, haha.

I dont have a mic yet but I plan on getting one tomorrow.

PSN ID is Jerrek

Ri'Orius

Also looking for an invite to RavenGAF. PSN is RiOrius.

Just hit Lvl 4, so I got Revive. What should I go for next? I'm thinking either assault rifle upgrades or motion tracker... But then again, I've only played the deathmatch and Sabotage, so maybe some of the other stuff is more important for the more complicated game types.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Post in this Online Forum thread to get RavenGAF invites.

Ri'Orius said:
Also looking for an invite to RavenGAF. PSN is RiOrius.

Just hit Lvl 4, so I got Revive. What should I go for next? I'm thinking either assault rifle upgrades or motion tracker... But then again, I've only played the deathmatch and Sabotage, so maybe some of the other stuff is more important for the more complicated game types.

Decide on a weapons tree to go down first, either Assault Rifle or LMG is a good start, that'll keep you busy for a few levels until you know what role you want to play and how you'd like to get kitted out. Then you'll have a better idea of what to go for next without wasting a re-spec too early on.

Ugliest game? Hardly. The visuals are about on par as Modern Warfare, but without the 60fps, in exchange for huge scale and large number of players.

Visually it's not bad for a console shooter, I think it's main weakness is lack of detailed effects. Explosions are pretty lame for example.

polyh3dron said:
Whoever coined the phrase "Never bring a knife to a gunfight" obviously never played MAG.
... or Modern Warfare.

I'm surprised at the graphics complaints. I think the detail is pretty much as good as you'd expect given the scale, but the art style turns people off. There isn't enough personality to the character models, animations, etc.

Jerrek

Neo Member
I think the game looks roughly the same as MW2 graphics wise, BFBC2 certainly does look better, but I really like the way the player models move. I cant explain it but I like they way they tilt and stop while running.

J-Rzez

The Take Out Bandit said:
That's Zipper for you. :\

Except funny thing is, it's really not ugly. It exceeded my expectations visually from Zipper actually, and many people here would probably agree.

I think the graphics are good. Not "zomg awesome graphics!" good, but I've never once thought to myself they were bad or something. They're up to standard. They're not pushing any envelopes, but they're up to standard.

KZObsessed

How many fucking times must some retard drive the APC head on into the objective and get it blown up and everyone who spawns there killed before he realises maybe that's not the best course of action.

An APC is a motherfucking spawn point. It's not a tank you drive and park right in front of 2 turrets. It will.be.destroyed you dumbfuck. You drive it as close to the objective as possible while keeping it out of the line of fire. Maybe sneak it forward and kill a few with the turret, but only if there's a minimal risk of it getting blown up. ie. if the other team are terrible. The APC is so fucking important, if you keep it alive and then keep moving it up to the next objective and so on it's so much easier to take down the bunkers/cooling towers/AAA Battery etc. Don't blow the fucking thing up.

And why everytime we play SVER Domination, we take out the bunkers without too much problem (usually) and then we're the only ones capturing the cooling towers and then the final objectives? What the hell are everyone else in the game doing?

And finally. Stop fucking reviving me when there's 3 guys right in front of me. Shoot them first you goddamn pussy. And if you're just trying to get your "+10" just before you die, go fuck yourself.

So many stupid shit players in this game. After I grind my way to lvl 60 with Valor, and then Raven, I doubt I'll have any motivation to keep playing.

edit: oh and yeah, today we had to deal with at least 6 level 40+ Squad Leaders who didn't even have a fucking mic. And had no fucking clue what to FRAGO and when. Why is a guy with no mic, in a squad with 6 members of a Clan get to be squad leader? Why is there no training mission you have to complete before becoming a squad leader instead of that POS "training map" which teaches you how to crawl.... oh and shoot... oh and how to press the circle button! Ridiculous.

Violater

FFObsessed said:
And finally. Stop fucking reviving me when there's 3 guys right in front of me. Shoot them first you goddamn pussy. And if you're just trying to get your "+10" just before you die, go fuck yourself.

So many stupid shit players in this game. After I grind my way to lvl 60 with Valor, and then Raven, I doubt I'll have any motivation to keep playing.

:lol

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
FFObsessed said:
How many fucking times must some retard drive the APC head on into the objective and get it blown up and everyone who spawns there killed before he realises maybe that's not the best course of action.

An APC is a motherfucking spawn point. It's not a tank you drive and park right in front of 2 turrets. It will.be.destroyed you dumbfuck. You drive it as close to the objective as possible while keeping it out of the line of fire. Maybe sneak it forward and kill a few with the turret, but only if there's a minimal risk of it getting blown up. ie. if the other team are terrible. The APC is so fucking important, if you keep it alive and then keep moving it up to the next objective and so on it's so much easier to take down the bunkers/cooling towers/AAA Battery etc. Don't blow the fucking thing up.

Lol, sounds like the game we were defending on. Two APC's parking directly in front of the (not yet destroyed) gates and in between two bunkers. We hammered the APC's time and time again.

And yes mate, so many shit players. I had one guy comment how shit I was cos I did like 4 times in a row instantly after being revived BECAUSE THERE WERE ABOUT SIX ENEMIES IN THE ROOM SHOOTING ME. :lol

Wait till Raven Teen Squad, I expect your anger to escalate!!! :D

FFObsessed said:
And why everytime we play SVER Domination, we take out the bunkers without too much problem (usually) and then we're the only ones capturing the cooling towers and then the final objectives? What the hell are everyone else in the game doing?

God, I played a DOM attack against Sver today just like this. I was in an AWESOME Platoon. We took our bunkers, towers, AAA, sensor array, and artillery. Then I sent my squad over to the adjacent side to help the other platoon bust through. We took 2 more bunkers, and the OTHER AAA, with NO help from the squads that we were helping. Unfortunately we could only hold on for so long over there, and without support Sver took back control. But fuck man, we took their bunkers, what the hell were they doing?!

Gen X

vitaminwateryum said:
So, I'm about to go pick up a PS3 as well as MAG tomorrow and have a question. How is the sniping?

Not many xp to be earned from sniping from what I've seen, unless you are way back and sniping the enemies that are actually within the Frago area.

Iknos

FFObsessed said:
...rant...

Posts like this make me want to play this game. Shows me that the game needs a lot of strategy and teamwork in a match in order to succeed.

Still don't understand how your team's wins translate into success for your chosen PMC and how the war between the PMCs play out overall. Don't understand the larger objective here.

J-Rzez

vitaminwateryum said:
So, I'm about to go pick up a PS3 as well as MAG tomorrow and have a question. How is the sniping?

XP wise, it kinda blows.

Gratification wise, it's incredible. So satisfying to snipe in this game. Every kill feels great. My word of honest advice that you're starting out later though is that you should level up to around 30-35, so you have enough pts to unlock the best sniper rifle and variable power scope, then get your PDW. Just go in rambo style around the objectives, rez'n people, to get your quick xp. Then you can have fun sniping as the first 2 sniper rifles are pretty lame.

Das... err Zipper guys reading this, this game is going to need some DLC very-very soon. It's going to be needed to help expand the modes/maps/weapons to get a greater base.

Anyways... GG's tonight remnants of SVER Gaf lol. Get up there so we can all dominate as Valor.

I'll be joining up with Valor either tomorrow or Monday.

Corran Horn said:
God dammit I had 40 kills and 0 deaths in turret with 10+ mins left or so and disconnected from server....

Not really sure but I think you get the exp though.
In the beta I remember being close to level up (was in need of one skillpoint, too), had a nice exp-heavy-match but got disconnected (or was it a freeze? can't remember) very close to the end. I checked my level (not sure if it was directly after it) and I got the level up.

J-Rzez said:
XP wise, it kinda blows.

Gratification wise, it's incredible. So satisfying to snipe in this game. Every kill feels great. My word of honest advice that you're starting out later though is that you should level up to around 30-35, so you have enough pts to unlock the best sniper rifle and variable power scope, then get your PDW. Just go in rambo style around the objectives, rez'n people, to get your quick xp. Then you can have fun sniping as the first 2 sniper rifles are pretty lame.
30+ is a bit high though

Level 13 is the minimum at which you can get the last sniper + variable scope. (which is in principle all you need to be an effective sniper, the rest is more or less for your defence)
Level 14 if you also want the better reload speed
Level 16 if you want the suppressor as well, anything else is not needed in the sniper skill tree.

you need 3000exp to respec the first time which you should have at this point IIRC.

but you will want to invest 4 points for being able to revive someone, even as a sniper.
2 points for anti-personnel mines are also a nice plus as a sniper.
I also like spending 5 points to get a SMG as a sidearm.
So around level 25 would be a good point to switch.

Liberty4all

Banned
FFObsessed said:
edit: oh and yeah, today we had to deal with at least 6 level 40+ Squad Leaders who didn't even have a fucking mic. And had no fucking clue what to FRAGO and when. Why is a guy with no mic, in a squad with 6 members of a Clan get to be squad leader? Why is there no training mission you have to complete before becoming a squad leader instead of that POS "training map" which teaches you how to crawl.... oh and shoot... oh and how to press the circle button! Ridiculous.

RavenGAF regularly kicks non clan squad leaders. No mic
, no regular frago's = boot kick.

One Aquisition game tonight we didn't have enough clan members in the squad to get the vote to kick the squad leader. He did not set one fraggo the whole game and had no mic. Unfortunately, aside from the 3 GAFFERS the rest of the squad was pubbies and micless as well. To deal with this we TK'ed the squad leader for half the match, even going so far as to put an extra half clip in him each time to ensure no revives. =) One clan member would stay in the bunker and wait for him to spawn. We explained exactly why we were TK'ing him each time he went down. Eventually the pubbies voted with us for the kick.

sk3tch

J-Rzez said:
Das... err Zipper guys reading this, this game is going to need some DLC very-very soon. It's going to be needed to help expand the modes/maps/weapons to get a greater base.

Although I agree with you, personally - I doubt that they will do it in the near term as it could potentially turn people off if they perceive DLC being something that is released a lot for this game...i.e. overdone.

Anyway, personally I love the game so much that I'd buy stupid clothing for my character, even. But more maps would be awesome! :) I made it to my current level (48) playing about 95% Sabotage...so I still think there's tons of legs left on this game for me. I like grouping with you guys to play Domination and the other modes to "mix it up."

demonkaze

I've been kind of focused on Direct Action but i'm just wondering what kind of builds people are going with? I've been using the strongest armour available but I've noticed it stops me from equipping other things.

Also with my skill points, after getting most of the LMG type things, I don't really know what I want to spend my points on as I know that I won't be able to equip them in my loadout. I'd like to be able to use a repair kit more often and that.

Bamelin said:
One Aquisition game tonight we didn't have enough clan members in the squad to get the vote to kick the squad leader. He did not set one fraggo the whole game and had no mic. Unfortunately, aside from the 3 GAFFERS the rest of the squad was pubbies and micless as well. To deal with this we TK'ed the squad leader for half the match, even going so far as to put an extra half clip in him each time to ensure no revives. =) One clan member would stay in the bunker and wait for him to spawn. We explained exactly why we were TK'ing him each time he went down. Eventually the pubbies voted with us for the kick.
Not trying to be rude or anything, but this post makes you guys sound like a bunch of assholes.

Kicking people is one thing, but intentionally team killing a guy who may not have even spoken your language for ten minutes is just mean. He might not understand the game fully (squad leadership is really poorly explained; there should be a mandatory tutorial before you're qualified). Unless there's a griefer running around purposefully shooting everyone in the back, I don't see any reason to team kill. You might lose some games from bad leadership, but you lose some with good leaders too. And if some of your clan get up to the highest levels you're pretty much guaranteed getting squad/platoon leadership every time.

Gen X

TelemachusD said:
Not trying to be rude or anything, but this post makes you guys sound like a bunch of assholes.

Kicking people is one thing, but intentionally team killing a guy who may not have even spoken your language for ten minutes is just mean. He might not understand the game fully (squad leadership is really poorly explained; there should be a mandatory tutorial before you're qualified). Unless there's a griefer running around purposefully shooting everyone in the back, I don't see any reason to team kill. You might lose some games from bad leadership, but you lose some with good leaders too. And if some of your clan get up to the highest levels you're pretty much guaranteed getting squad/platoon leadership every time.

I have to agree. I mean, I've tk'd once or twice on purpose but it's someone blocking my way as I'm trying to run up stairs or something and you ask them to move, pop one bullet into them etc and then if they still don't, my friend Jack the Knife makes an appearance.

But yeah, in the situation with Squad Leaders not changing the Frago, I send them a message with the subject in caps 'CHANGE FRAGO!'. Like you say, you win some you lose some and we've won domination maps with a shit Squad Leader who doesn't change it. As long as you got a good squad then just get on with it. No point crying cos one game you aren't getting the extra xp. There are still other things to go for like medals and ribbons. Hell, I'm sure from memory one of the medals is lose 100 games defending and lose 100 attacking.

fixuis

Bamelin said:
RavenGAF regularly kicks non clan squad leaders. No mic
, no regular frago's = boot kick.

What a dick move.

On a side note, fuck you sver! :D You will not get into my house, bitches!

TelemachusD said:

I'm so sick of shitty SL's, I can't condemn any actions taken against them. Sure, he may not speak English and it may have been his first time, but what if it wasn't. I see it as part of every MAG players duty to ruthlessly punish poor leaders. Then they may at least think twice about checking that box in future.

Lince

Banned
jonnybryce said:
Really? MAG is impressive, fun, and awesome but it's one of the ugliest games I've seen this generation. It's closing in on hideous.

looks better than MW2 with 10 times the scale, you can keep your "ugliest of the generation" bs to yourself.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
attention valor: you guys are terrible. Sver is capturing C, and there are 10 valor guys outside C still, trying to snipe ppl. You're 20 feet from C! Please get it back. I'm begging you.

/boggle

And I can't even play domination as valor. All of the platoons were 50% filled or less. I don't understand.

Oh, while I'm whining some more, how can so few valor have fucking med kits? I mean, really.

Top Bottom