• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

spwolf

worldrevolution said:
Also I think the second group was more of EuroGAF and their accents made them sound a lot scarier. :lol

ze europeans take gaming seriously! we also sound mad when we talk in english :lol

KZObsessed

worldrevolution said:
Just have fun guys! I got a chance to play in a group with Click, Telemachus, and Xplosion, and then a group with FFO, Lince, and Violator? I think..and man it was just a different experience. You guys are all amazing players, but the first group was just more relaxed. The second group was constantly 'ugh these idiots' and 'ugh why raise me without killing them' etc etc. and it was just..a drag. I'm sure your time on SVER was a lot better, for whatever reason, but in the end it's a game and getting to play with you guys is enough fun. I don't need to win every match or get top MVP. Coming to the thread and seeing you guys go on and on about this stuff here too is just like..meh. Also I think the second group was more of EuroGAF and their accents made them sound a lot scarier. :lol

Sorry that was probably me :lol

Also I hope it was my accent you feared! :p

EuroPassion that's all.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Valor's Domination map isn't as bad, in comparison to SVER's, it's in fact the most balanced map of the three. Their Acq map is kinda hard to defend, especially with randoms. Raven's Acq map is very balanced, but we get crappy Domination map, and crappy C on Sab.

obonicus

FFObsessed said:
Did you not notice how no one has said that the maps are 100% equal in difficulty attacking/defending? What most people on the SVER side have said is that's it's not just 100% down to the maps,

Look into the Zipper quote; their hypothesis is that a small map imbalance will escalate into a much more noticeable imbalance. Winning more often turns into greater xp gains which escalates into a more noticeable issue. So it's not 100% down to the maps, but 100% down to a combination of things. One of them may be some sort of disparity between player skills, though no one can even begin to explain why that is, while people have much stronger theories for why SVER maps are easier to defend. Every 'reason' given for higher skill going to SVER is just based on very flimsy evidence.

So is a knife ALWAYS a one hit kill? I had some experiences in my last match that made me doubt that. I stabbed a guy, got the 'stab noise' he survives, stabs me and I drop to 30 health, I survive and stab him again.

I've never had someone survive a stab to the back though, and have been killed plenty of times from full health from the front. You think range is actually taken into account for the knife?

Malvolio

PedroLumpy said:
So is a knife ALWAYS a one hit kill? I had some experiences in my last match that made me doubt that. I stabbed a guy, got the 'stab noise' he survives, stabs me and I drop to 30 health, I survive and stab him again.

I've never had someone survive a stab to the back though, and have been killed plenty of times from full health from the front. You think range is actually taken into account for the knife?

My theory is that knifing does 100 points of damage and someone who survives has more than 100 health. Perhaps armor level decreases knife damage. Just a guess though. I've often wondered the same thing.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
There's also the standing/crouching issue with being knifed.

If you are standing when knifed, but have 120 Health & heavy armor, it's not a one hit kill, but if you are crouching it counts as a headshot, and therefore is a one-hit kill, regardless of amount of health.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
FFObsessed said:
Sorry that was probably me :lol

Also I hope it was my accent you feared! :p

EuroPassion that's all.

Haha I think you and Lince, yeah. It was funny. I had a blast (until my internet disconnected me on the Valor Dom defense map). It was just like wow..these guys are scary, in their skills and their voices. I rarely talk on my mic unless there's a sniper or something since usually people are much quicker than I am at calling obvious stuff out. I'm Hungarian so plenty of Eurolove.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
You guys gotta stop frago'ing the anti-air at the start of domination matches. People drop back to defend that, no one defends the bunker, and it gets blown up within the first minute EVERY TIME. I don't know what makes valor SL do that, but please stop. When you frago something, that means you are giving the team orders, and defending the anti-air at the expense of the burn-off tower and our bunker is not a good strategy, as evidenced by the continual steamroller we experience every time.

KZObsessed

obonicus said:
Look into the Zipper quote; their hypothesis is that a small map imbalance will escalate into a much more noticeable imbalance. Winning more often turns into greater xp gains which escalates into a more noticeable issue. So it's not 100% down to the maps, but 100% down to a combination of things. One of them may be some sort of disparity between player skills, though no one can even begin to explain why that is, while people have much stronger theories for why SVER maps are easier to defend. Every 'reason' given for higher skill going to SVER is just based on very flimsy evidence.

That theory doesn't explain the abnormally large amount of high leveled Valor randoms that seem to be clueless as to which objective to go for, what they do or their importance, that I've come across so far compared to SVER. Just the opposite actually. If SVER level up quicker than Valor, supposedly, (even tho I think the whole imbalance is more about Raven's Domination map) then the high level Valor should have played more games by the time they get to those higher levels, meaning they should have more experience with the objectives.

Nor does your admission now that the difference in quality is down to a number of things, possibly including a difference in skill, explain your obnoxious first post accusing me of simply saying everyone sucks coz I lost, despite not being present in any of the games I was referring to.

KZObsessed

commish said:
You guys gotta stop frago'ing the anti-air at the start of domination matches. People drop back to defend that, no one defends the bunker, and it gets blown up within the first minute EVERY TIME. I don't know what makes valor SL do that, but please stop. When you frago something, that means you are giving the team orders, and defending the anti-air at the expense of the burn-off tower and our bunker is not a good strategy, as evidenced by the continual steamroller we experience every time.

The majority of the Domination games I've lost with Valor have come because the enemy just drive an APC up and take the AAA with no one giving a damn. People just go running off to the burnoff towers leaving everything exposed at the back. Which is what happened this time. Our bunker was right next to the AAA Battery, we should have stuck around there and defended both at the same time. The problem was people got a bit bored as no one arrived for a while and ran off in different directions/towards the burnoff towers to get some action. They then drove an APC right up to the Bunker/AAA and took both of them at once. There was no defence there at all. You can't defend the Burnoff towers without the Bunkers as spawn points, those need to be protected. Once the Bunkers are down you have to spawn back at the very beginning, and it makes it much easier for them to take the AAA Battery then it's all over as you saw, because they just overwhelm you and you can't get the AAA back up without much difficulty as most people can't be arsed running that far.

Don't run off to the burnoff towers unless it's clear. As soon as the APC came I FRAGO'd it yet there was no one there defending. When I died they just all spawned on the APC and took the Bunker/AAA as usual. No one was even in the turret, I told someone to get it but no one did. How do you defend the Bunker without someone in the turret? I couldn't sit in there as I have to FRAGO. It's a delicate balance between not letting them take the Burnoff towers while simultaneously defending the bunker/AAA. But the priority is the Bunker/AAA go forward and stop them taking the Burnoff but get back to the Bunker as soon as things are clear, if an APC drives up, THAT becomes the priority target. Yet there was no one there when it drove up and parked right at our bunker with no one in the turret. Didn't help that we didn't have a full squad as always.

Lince

Banned
commish said:

wtf? you know we never had to do that playing with SVER, but Valor randoms just forget about the AA every time... on the other hand the bunker defense is taken for granted, isn't it? frago'ing the AA is just a reminder we need to defend it as well as the bunker. Sadly there's no other way 'round with these guys. You got a better tactic/idea you wanna share?

commish

FFObsessed said:
The majority of the Domination games I've lost with Valor have come because the enemy just drive an APC up and take the AAA with no one giving a damn. People just go running off to the burnoff towers leaving everything exposed at the back. Which is what happened this time. Our bunker was right next to the AAA Battery, we should have stuck around there and defended both at the same time. The problem was people got a bit bored as no one arrived for a while and ran off in different directions/towards the burnoff towers to get some action. They then drove an APC right up to the Bunker/AAA and took both of them at once. There was no defence there at all. You can't defend the Burnoff towers without the Bunkers as spawn points, those need to be protected. Once the Bunkers are down you have to spawn back at the very beginning, and it makes it much easier for them to take the AAA Battery then it's all over as you saw, because they just overwhelm you and you can't get the AAA back up without much difficulty as most people can't be arsed running that far.

Don't run off to the burnoff towers unless it's clear. As soon as the APC came I FRAGO'd it yet there was no one there defending. When I died they just all spawned on the APC and took the Bunker/AAA as usual. No one was even in the turret, I told someone to get it but no one did. How do you defend the Bunker without someone in the turret? I couldn't sit in there as I have to FRAGO. It's a delicate balance between not letting them take the Burnoff towers while simultaneously defending the bunker/AAA. But the priority is the Bunker/AAA go forward and stop them taking the Burnoff but get back to the Bunker as soon as things are clear, if an APC drives up, THAT becomes the priority target. Yet there was no one there when it drove up and parked right at our bunker with no one in the turret. Didn't help that we didn't have a full squad as always.

The only time I've ever seen a bunker defended that lightly is when the frago is on the aa. Could be a coincidence, but maybe not. The bunker is infinitely more important than the aa, since you can get the aa up quickly if people spawn with the repair kit. Also, apcs shouldn't be alive long if someone mans the turret and people use rockets. Of course, no one likes repair kits on valor, and no one likes rockets either. I had no idea that the turret was empty.

My point is that, when game started, no one was at the aa, so it wasn't in danger and didn't need guarding. By defending at the burn-off, we engage them further out. Instead, they were allowed almost unfettered access on their way to our bunker, and they didn't need an apc for that. But I understand what you are getting at, bc for some reason, valor doesn't value the AA enough. With SVER, if the aa goes down, people react immediately and there are engineers on the way. With Valor, it isn't the same. That said, it seems to be a bit easier to defend the aa for sver.

Lince

Banned
commish said:
The only time I've ever seen a bunker defended that lightly is when the frago is on the aa. Could be a coincidence, but maybe not. The bunker is infinitely more important than the aa, since you can get the aa up quickly if people spawn with the repair kit.

Wrong, as soon as the AA is down Precision Strikes take down the nearest bunkers in 15 seconds and then we get pushed back, half of our (Valor) team quits and the rest end steamrolled.

Could be a coincidence, but maybe not, but the only Domination games we defended successfully were the ones we held our AA up for the most time.

commish

Lince said:
Wrong, as soon as the AA is down Precision Strikes take down the nearest bunkers in 15 seconds and then we get pushed back, half of our (Valor) team quits and the rest end steamrolled.

Could be a coincidence, but maybe not, but the only Domination games we defended successfully were the ones we held our AA up for the most time.

I've recovered from AA being taken down numerous times - it's rarely fatal if our bunker is still up. The bunker being taken down usually means defend the cool-off and the letters.

What's up with the quitters, tho? I don't understand why it's so rare to have a full squad. By rare, I mean never. I guess it really does stem from the unbalanced maps like others have said. People just expect to lose on most maps. I don't know how Mag can recover from that mindset.

FFObsessed said:

I think you're failing to grasp the whole "most Valor members don't play a lot of Domination" thing. Those level 40 squad leaders probably got there by playing sabotage, so it's not surprising they don't know exactly what to do. That's really the root of the problem at this point; not the maps. Inexperienced players, not shitty clueless retarded players. Too many Valor players don't know that 3 rockets and half a clip of LMG bullets will take out those pesky bunker guns. Or that if we lose our AAA, a whole shit storm of problems will unfold. But of course this problem started because of the map imbalance.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
For the first time since the closed beta, I played on the Valor map in Domination! Although in the closed beta I was on Valor and this time I am attacking with Raven :lol

jorma

is now taking requests
FFObsessed said:
Did you not notice how no one has said that the maps are 100% equal in difficulty attacking/defending? What most people on the SVER side have said is that's it's not just 100% down to the maps, which people on the other factions have said. Which now I agree with having played on two factions. (In regards to Valor/SVER anyway, can't comment on Raven yet) And as I just said, this is just in my experience. Someone else could have experienced something completely different.

But hey, what does accurately understanding someones point actually matter in a discussion.

I used to suggest the very same thing. The foundation is the map imbalance, the better players (ie former beta testers), more experienced leaders and higher level imbalances arose from this, a downward spiral. But i was told how whiny i was and that i was just plain wrong, and i was also told that there was nothing wrong with a 80/20 imbalance because a 50/50 balance is impossiple to achieve.

However it was not until i found out that sver disarms doors from the inside on domination that i was truly done with that game mode until they fix it (since they never let us play vs valor).
I only play sabotage and aquisition now, unless i'm in a ravengaf squad.

bardia

Just got the game today, been doing some research on the guns, game types etc before I started playing so I'm not completely lost when I start. Now for the all important question...Valor or Raven?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I'd say join Valor if only because a lot of GAF guys are switching to Valor over the last few days/upcoming week.

KZObsessed

commish said:
The only time I've ever seen a bunker defended that lightly is when the frago is on the aa. Could be a coincidence, but maybe not. The bunker is infinitely more important than the aa, since you can get the aa up quickly if people spawn with the repair kit. Also, apcs shouldn't be alive long if someone mans the turret and people use rockets. Of course, no one likes repair kits on valor, and no one likes rockets either. I had no idea that the turret was empty.

My point is that, when game started, no one was at the aa, so it wasn't in danger and didn't need guarding. By defending at the burn-off, we engage them further out. Instead, they were allowed almost unfettered access on their way to our bunker, and they didn't need an apc for that. But I understand what you are getting at, bc for some reason, valor doesn't value the AA enough. With SVER, if the aa goes down, people react immediately and there are engineers on the way. With Valor, it isn't the same. That said, it seems to be a bit easier to defend the aa for sver.

Well, I FRAGO'd the AA Battery just to keep people in that area. The games I've played no one from other squads tries to defend it, and when it goes down, in come the air strikes, helicoptors/paratroopers to overwhelm you and take the bunkers. And of course it ends up just being Lince & I trying to repair it. (This is what most random games are like.)

Plus we were only 6 guys in the squad at the beginning if I remember so I didn't want people running off to the burnout tower as I knew that APC was gonna come. I think it was the non-gaffers who went off so there was only really 4 or 5 of us there defending two things. Going to the Burnoff wouldn't have enabled us to attack that APC that inevitably came driving up. Other bunkers yes but not the one we were at. I did switch to the Bunker when I saw it and hopped in the turret but it drove behind one of those block thingies out f my line of fire, so I had to jump out of the turret to FRAGO it. Then 6-8 guys spawned on it and overwhelmed the Bunker and killed me. The AA was only like 10 steps away, people should have been able to get to the Bunker -> APC within 3 seconds when I FRAGO'd it if some hadn't wandered off. Defends on which Bunker we're at, if we're right next to the AA Battery we need to take responsibility and defend it coz no one else will.

To be fair to the SVER team it was a great maneuver. Great co-ordination, great use of the APC. But we should have defended it better. We did get unlucky as well, people started to spread out bored right about the time it came driving up. Next time I'll just FRAGO the bunker then, but be aware that an APC will come to try and take the AA Battery so we need to make sure we stop them because no one else will, and then we'll get overwhelmed and things will be twice as hard to defend. As that bunker was right next to the AA Battery I guess I could have FRAGO'd that and that in itself would defend the AA but I just wanted people to know we have to take responsibility for the AA.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
You can also frago the APC's, when it gets close to the gate. Most frago whores would take out their rocket launchers to try and destroy it. Or you can do Guided artillery right on top of one of the APCs and hope that the other squad leader does the same on the second APC before it gets too close, instead of waiting for the APC's to come to you.

roxya

One problem with the AA is that defending it is usually not a big opportunity for XP. If bunkers are up, it's usually very small groups that attack the AA. Not many kills to get, not much ressing/healing to do, and almost always no FRAGO bonus.

Perhaps Zipper need to reward victory more and give less XP during the game.

FFObsessed said:
so I had to jump out of the turret to FRAGO it.
What is this craziness? Always, always, use the map to Frago; it's much easier, it can be done from the turret/bunker/APC, you can see people planting on objectives behind your lines, and you get a much better view of what's going on around the objectives (like enemy shooting positions or if there's already 5 friendlies on it so it's taken care of).

J-Rzez

So, after putting a few hours in as Valor, I can honestly say the skill pool is certainly not up to what SVER's was.

Valor's music is part "Survivor Man" and part "Steven Seagal about to start kicking ass". It's ok.

KZObsessed

TelemachusD said:
What is this craziness? Always, always, use the map to Frago; it's much easier, it can be done from the turret/bunker/APC, you can see people planting on objectives behind your lines, and you get a much better view of what's going on around the objectives (like enemy shooting positions or if there's already 5 friendlies on it so it's taken care of).

Err I do always use the map to FRAGO. I was trying to bring up the map while in the turret but it wouldn't come up, I had to leave before I could bring up the map, FRAGO the APC, then I was gonna jump back in but a group of SVER scum quickly spawned from the APC and killed me.

Is that a bug or what? I rarely use the turret, always someone who beats me to it :p so I didn't know if that was normal or what but the map wouldn't come up.

edit: just checked, yeah it was a bug. fuck.

FFObsessed said:
Err I do always use the map to FRAGO. I was trying to bring up the map while in the turret but it wouldn't come up, I had to leave before I could bring up the map, FRAGO the APC, then I was gonna jump back in but a group of SVER scum quickly spawned from the APC and killed me.

Is that a bug or what? I rarely use the turret, always someone who beats me to it :p so I didn't know if that was normal or what but the map wouldn't come up.

edit: just checked, yeah it was a bug. fuck.
I've had a bug where I couldn't change chat channels in a turret. And another one where after I exited a turret, I still had the turret HUD (no health or ammo shown). I had a bug yesterday where I couldn't swap away from grenades. I had to use them up before I could go back to my gun. There are quite a lot of bugs.

uraldix

Bamelin said:
Again just my opinion ... SVER players that switched are undoubtedly very skilled. But the argument that the rest of Valor are crappy pub players ... I don't buy it. Every faction has crappy pub players and skilled clanners alike, the key difference between defeat and victory is the map imbalance.

I am definately not one of the "skilled" players that left SVER but I pretty much agree with everthing that Lince, Violator, TelemachusD, FFO and the rest are saying. The rest of Valor players are not crap but a lot of them are and it is enough to swing the tide in a lot of matches. Map imbalance is there but it is a small problem that has manifested into a larger one because people use it as an excuse.

It is possible to defend against anyone or win on the attack against anyone if people work together, have a solid gameplan and communicate. It seems that many in Valor do not get this.

KZObsessed

TelemachusD said:
I've had a bug where I couldn't change chat channels in a turret. And another one where after I exited a turret, I still had the turret HUD (no health or ammo shown). I had a bug yesterday where I couldn't swap away from grenades. I had to use them up before I could go back to my gun. There are quite a lot of bugs.

Ha! I always get that one when I'm revived while holding a grenade.

weekend_warrior said:
I think you're failing to grasp the whole "most Valor members don't play a lot of Domination" thing. Those level 40 squad leaders probably got there by playing sabotage, so it's not surprising they don't know exactly what to do. That's really the root of the problem at this point; not the maps. Inexperienced players, not shitty clueless retarded players. Too many Valor players don't know that 3 rockets and half a clip of LMG bullets will take out those pesky bunker guns. Or that if we lose our AAA, a whole shit storm of problems will unfold. But of course this problem started because of the map imbalance.

Hard to grasp something that's not presented to you. :p I'm playing now and there's 2200 SVER playing Domination, 1641 Valor and 1446 Raven. Playing Sabotage 1732 Raven, 1760 Valor, 1466 SVER. Ain't much difference between the numbers playing Sab and Dom for Valor at the moment. Assuming that a lot of the Valor randoms that suck during Domination are shit because they simply don't play much Domination, despite being level 40-50 would be just that, an assumption. Would certainly explain a lot tho.

I don't know why people would avoid Domination, maybe as Jorma said, because of the bug that allows SVER to diffuse from the wrong side of the door. But even then. Doesn't explain why people would avoid Dom defence, the Valor map is not unbalanced strongly in favor of the attacker at all. I was playing a Domination match against SVER the other day with Lince and a few others. We take the first bunker easily. Capture the first burnoff tower. Start to capture the second bunker and the AA Battery and 3 guys from our squad quit leaving us as a 5 man squad. Why? We were doing really well. Maybe coincidence? Then when it comes to taking the main objectives at the end, despite people running around clueless, we start to make progress and get inside and capture our designated objective. But after a while it starts to feel like we're the only ones trying to get the objectives and at the end of the game you see a whole bunch of people have quit their squads. Same happens on defending, we get pushed back to the main objective yet we start doing well defending it then a bunch of guys just start quitting your squad. So annoying and there's no reason for it when there's still a good chance we can win and we're doing so well. People just quit out if things seem even the slightest bit difficult. So annoying.

J-Rzez said:
So, after putting a few hours in as Valor, I can honestly say the skill pool is certainly not up to what SVER's was.

Valor's music is part "Survivor Man" and part "Steven Seagal about to start kicking ass". It's ok.

Just had a game of Domination defence against SVER (which we won yay!) we defended the main objectives really well, tons of people repairing every door and killing the SVER guys pretty easy.

But before that was just embarrassing. My squad starts camping the SVER spawn on the right of the burnoff tower, so the SVER guys just move round the left as one big group. It ended up me vs 6 guys at the burnoff tower while everyone was over to the right. I got a couple but died of course. The others then make their way over here, all get killed. No one revives me. At which point one guy moves round the side and blows up the bunker with no defence. All the while I'm bleeding out near the burnoff tower with one jackass screaming "don't bleed out I'll save, DON'T BLEED OUT" he never came tho. Then when I died as the time ran out he shouts "WHY'D YOU F'N BLEED OUT!?!?" :lol

I actually got knifed in the face by my own squad mate yesterday for, and I quote: "stealing his kill" I was goddamn saving him, he had no health left. I even healed him, after which he stabs me in the face.

Not as bad as Lince getting TK'd 5 times a game by the same guy. :lol *sigh*

edit: I <3 u Uraldix

jorma

is now taking requests
J-Rzez said:

That's weird because i've been defending Raven sabo with randoms quite a lot this weekend and i can honestly see no difference on SVER attackers and Valor attackers. They all suck, with the occasional steam-roll. But maybe you played suppression and went directly to aquisition from there?

Lince

Banned
FFObsessed said:
Not as bad as Lince getting TK'd 5 times a game by the same guy. :lol *sigh*

serves me right for calling him a "fucking redneck retard" though, maybe the first time he tk'd me it was an accident (if by an accident you mean knifing a team mate in the back)

Anyway, playing with Valor just gets on my nerves... my cat usually jumps on my lap and begins to "paw" my legs whenever I'm playing, but ever since I switched over to Valor I must have turned into some kind of frustration emitter or something since the little bastard won't get anywhere near me anymore and just stay by my sister while she's sleeping, coincidence or not?

KZObsessed

Lince said:
serves me right for calling him a "fucking redneck retard" though, maybe the first time he tk'd me it was an accident (if by an accident you mean knifing a team mate in the back)

Anyway, playing with Valor just gets on my nerves... my cat usually jumps on my lap and begins to "paw" my legs whenever I'm playing, but ever since I switched over to Valor I must have turned into some kind of frustration emitter or something since the little bastard won't get anywhere near me anymore and just stay by my sister while she's sleeping, coincidence or not?

I sense a thorough investigation is needed! :p

I have noticed your anger has started to approach FFO levels. :lol

Let's play later and let's try and keep it lighthearted... for about 2 minutes. >_<

RAAAAAAAAAGE

andycapps

RavenGAF peeps, will be on all day today after I play through the Heavy Rain demo. I'm off today for Presidents Day in the US so it's all video games for me. :D

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
jorma said:
That's weird because i've been defending Raven sabo with randoms quite a lot this weekend and i can honestly see no difference on SVER attackers and Valor attackers. They all suck, with the occasional steam-roll. But maybe you played suppression and went directly to aquisition from there?

Last night I was playing on the Raven Sabo map and our squad didn't do shit. I was saying we gotta storm in and I did, laid the smack down and managed to complete the objective while the others took their time following. After a few mins of us holding B, A still hadn't done shit. I ran off, snuck through the bush and managed to shoot and kill 4 guys around the console all from outside the base. Ran up, knifed the last and secured the objective. All in this time B had been lost. I ended up running back to B and securing it again. We never had both held at once.

Every PMC has sucky teams, occasionally you'll get a few good squads and once in a blue moon you'll get two PMC's against each other that have good squads and will make the game an enjoyable challenge.

jorma

is now taking requests
Gen X said:
Last night I was playing on the Raven Sabo map and our squad didn't do shit. I was saying we gotta storm in and I did, laid the smack down and managed to complete the objective while the others took their time following. After a few mins of us holding B, A still hadn't done shit. I ran off, snuck through the bush and managed to shoot and kill 4 guys around the console all from outside the base. Ran up, knifed the last and secured the objective. All in this time B had been lost. I ended up running back to B and securing it again. We never had both held at once.

Every PMC has sucky teams, occasionally you'll get a few good squads and once in a blue moon you'll get two PMC's against each other that have good squads and will make the game an enjoyable challenge.

Yea most of the raven random teams i rolled with on attacking mode were also pretty bad.

gunther

i just got back from vacations. Can someone send the invitation for raven GAF?. I really need to kill valor and sver scum with a partner :D .

sk3tch

blazinglazers said:
In this topic: veterans of 4 betas who have now power-leveled and prestiged into new factions complain about noobs & scrubs. It's not that I don't understand your complaints, yes playing with a clan beats randoms and yes, this game lives and dies on teamwork & coordination. At the same time, the disparity between your abilities honed over 100+ hours of playing and those of casuals who're coming over from COD4 & KZ2 who've had the game for a weekend shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

You rolled Sever (smartly) because you knew from the beta that it had distinct advantages. You rolled as a group (smartly) to further your advantage. Now, having to mix it up with people who haven't been perfecting their skills over the past 6 months leads to frustration. I totally understand, but it is what it is, you know? It's not the PMCs, it's the game.

The real issue with MAG is there's a dearth of content, and how you experience that content is so dependent on anonymous internet gamers. Worse, the game does the absolute minimum to teach you what's up. Whomever likened this to the chances of getting a decent Killzone 2 match, but multiplied by a factor of 4+ was right on.

It's tough, because I love MAG and think that when it's working, it offers an experience unlike anything else out there on consoles. But when it's not working, it's incredibly frustrating. I'm not sure how to iterate and improve on it, but the design does need work.

tl;dr = don't shit on Valor & good games yesterday ;P

QFT.

Definitely summarizes the problem with the situation today. A new guy getting the game gets absolutely no help to get up to speed and is thrown into things. It's the EXACT same problem PlanetSide had. That game was (and probably still is...I hadn't been able to get it to work on Vista so I scrapped it...heard that's fixed now) absolutely brilliant. I could literally sit there and play for 2 hours setting up traps and waiting in the lurk after I hack for a visitor (as a stealth hacker/engineer/medic) and be completely content. :)

Hell, even I still have problems figuring things out after ~30 hours of play in retail and ~25 hours of play in beta/tourney. I get in these Acquisition and Domination matches with the clan and I am just lost. I usually just follow around the vets and provide cover and support so I don't get lost. Haha.

I honestly think this game is going to be the super niche PlanetSide-ish game on consoles. In about 6 months after all the folks that wanted to try it give it a try (and probably leave in disgust - I know my first attempt at this game was SCREW THIS, NEVER PLAYING THAT...I had to come back and spend *3 hours* with a clan and GAF folks to get in the swing of it) are weeded out - we'll be left with like 1,500 veterans who play. That's just like PlanetSide. It's still a lot of fun...but you just earn your kills. :)

commish

sk3tch said:
QFT.

Definitely summarizes the problem with the situation today. A new guy getting the game gets absolutely no help to get up to speed and is thrown into things. It's the EXACT same problem PlanetSide had. That game was (and probably still is...I hadn't been able to get it to work on Vista so I scrapped it...heard that's fixed now) absolutely brilliant. I could literally sit there and play for 2 hours setting up traps and waiting in the lurk after I hack for a visitor (as a stealth hacker/engineer/medic) and be completely content. :)

Hell, even I still have problems figuring things out after ~30 hours of play in retail and ~25 hours of play in beta/tourney. I get in these Acquisition and Domination matches with the clan and I am just lost. I usually just follow around the vets and provide cover and support so I don't get lost. Haha.

I honestly think this game is going to be the super niche PlanetSide-ish game on consoles. In about 6 months after all the folks that wanted to try it give it a try (and probably leave in disgust - I know my first attempt at this game was SCREW THIS, NEVER PLAYING THAT...I had to come back and spend *3 hours* with a clan and GAF folks to get in the swing of it) are weeded out - we'll be left with like 1,500 veterans who play. That's just like PlanetSide. It's still a lot of fun...but you just earn your kills. :)

This game is no planetside. PS is still the most fun I had online in a videogame. At its best, it was fantastic. Unfortunately, there were too many shitty parts to the game.

GodofWine

Bamelin said:
Hey, good game last night (<---Skigazzi), Im still trying to figure this out, it helped to have 5 gaffers to follow around.

Its so odd to have limited influence on a battle overall, like I think our squad / platoon? held its shit down, but we lost soundly...thats something Im trying to get used to.

Had to bolt after one game though.

They really need a better turtorial video / training in this bad.

sk3tch

commish said:
This game is no planetside. PS is still the most fun I had online in a videogame. At its best, it was fantastic. Unfortunately, there were too many shitty parts to the game.

I didn't say this game was a PlanetSide. I said it is like PlanetSide in the manner that folks are thrown into the game with almost no information on what to do.

I'm sorry, but if I rocket someone's foot they should die. If I rocket someone and it misses them but hits the wall 2 inches to their right, they should still die.

I can't believe all the people running around unharmed by rockets to the face in this game.

commish

another thing i notice while playing on valor, why is everyone so low level? So many players under level 20...

I haven't been on this game very much. Played it like twice after release.

Is everyone still noobs and doesnt use teamwork? That was the main reason I quit... It always seemed like my squad had to do EVERYTHING

Madman

J-Rzez said:

I, for one, am shocked at this conclusion. :p

Top Bottom