• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Axiom

Pancho said:
Has anyone here on GAF getting disconnected continuously in games? Since yesterday I have been disconnected from most games and it's getting EXTREMELY frustrating. It's only with MAG other online games run fine, are the servers overloaded or something?
I've been randomly getting disconnected myself, not just in games but even in menus. Doesn't happen often enough yet to piss me off too much.

keuja

Gen X said:
Be interesting to see next month since MAG came out on the 29th wasn't it? Plus it didn't hit NZ/Aus till the 12th Feb, not that the Pacific makes that much of an impact.

According to this news dated from 13/02, MAG sold more than 500k in less than 3 weeks world wide .

Liberty4all

Banned
commish said:
This game is no planetside. PS is still the most fun I had online in a videogame. At its best, it was fantastic. Unfortunately, there were too many shitty parts to the game.

Ah Planetside. I was rather well known CR5 on Emerald Vanu after they dragged us kicking and screaming from the Konried server (server merge). Fond memories ...

/comall Screw the home continents, everyone to CYSSORRRRR

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
theBishop said:
If you can get 30 kills with that thing, let me know.

If you get 30 kills 5 times, you should probably keep it a secret.
So I just respec'ed to machine pistol with suppressor then all of the bells and whistles in motion sensor/sensor jammer. With the machine pistol I got like 8 kills in 5~mins on Acquisition but Raven failed and the other team won. Id imagine on something like Domination with more time and targets you can get those kills

celpacius

played with 3 GAFers today as Valor - good game but (idk if any of the three will see this) i think of them guys knifed me from behind as we were coming out of the spawn point

anyways, is there a way i can join GAF's Valor clan?

This game lingers in the mind, even when I'm not playing it. I can understand the lag issues that crop up from time to time, the inability to form some central logic with a variety of players - I can deal with learning about map assets, and what to frago, and when, to get the most benefit out of an attack or defense, proper APC usage, etc.

.. but what ultimately gets stuck in my craw about this game is one thing: the clusterfuck.

Say you're on domination defense, but your AAA is down, and the enemy is fast moving on your letters with 15 minutes+ left in the game. All kinds of warheads are exploding between your spawn and the letters your squad is set to defend. There is a constant stream of your own team of guys, spawning in and running to the objective. There you find a constant stream of the enemy doing the same. Random grenades go off, random rockets hit you in the head... respawn, rinse, repeat.

Or say you're on the attack in Sabotage, and you've managed to take out A and B, leaving only C remaining to be claimed. All of your side is funneling towards this objective in a continuous stream, while the enemy is also streaming into their final defensive position, bolstered by two flanking spawn points. It is here you face a constant barrage of random grenade deaths, with defenders sniping from both flanks. You land in your parachute, and either get sniped, or suffer from a grenade explosion, or find your way to the rally point to push ahead, hopefully getting inside the C building. Respawn, rinse, repeat.

The common way to deal with both of these objectives is to rush en masse and take them down quickly....

... but when that doesn't happen for whatever reasons, things settle into a groove of repetitive madness. Attackers in various masses rushing against defenders in various masses, random death awaiting at every turn. Respawn, rinse, repeat.

This is the clusterfuck. Mag excels in providing you this experience.

Now I can strategize all day, work out valuable loadouts, team roles and objectives... but once the clusterfuck hits its pretty much all downhill, and victory is granted to those who can exploit the respawn timing best and exploit the chaos of the situation to their advantage. These small windows of opportunity are very situational.

It isn't really fun. It feels kindof random. Its something most other games may experience for short periods, but not to the fully realized extent of something like MAG.

This clusterfuck is the primary thing that's keeping me from wanting to play again.

So I ask you all this, new players and vets alike: Anybody have any wisdom to share or solutions on how to avoid or even overcome the clusterfuck? I'm all ears.

Pancho

Qurupancho
NullPointer said:
This game lingers in the mind, even when I'm not playing it. I can understand the lag issues that crop up from time to time, the inability to form some central logic with a variety of players - I can deal with learning about map assets, and what to frago, and when, to get the most benefit out of an attack or defense, proper APC usage, etc.

.. but what ultimately gets stuck in my craw about this game is one thing: the clusterfuck.

Say you're on domination defense, but your AAA is down, and the enemy is fast moving on your letters with 15 minutes+ left in the game. All kinds of warheads are exploding between your spawn and the letters your squad is set to defend. There is a constant stream of your own team of guys, spawning in and running to the objective. There you find a constant stream of the enemy doing the same. Random grenades go off, random rockets hit you in the head... respawn, rinse, repeat.

Or say you're on the attack in Sabotage, and you've managed to take out A and B, leaving only C remaining to be claimed. All of your side is funneling towards this objective in a continuous stream, while the enemy is also streaming into their final defensive position, bolstered by two flanking spawn points. It is here you face a constant barrage of random grenade deaths, with defenders sniping from both flanks. You land in your parachute, and either get sniped, or suffer from a grenade explosion, or find your way to the rally point to push ahead, hopefully getting inside the C building. Respawn, rinse, repeat.

The common way to deal with both of these objectives is to rush en masse and take them down quickly....

... but when that doesn't happen for whatever reasons, things settle into a groove of repetitive madness. Attackers in various masses rushing against defenders in various masses, random death awaiting at every turn. Respawn, rinse, repeat.

Now I can strategize all day, work out valuable loadouts, team roles and objectives... but once the clusterfuck hits its pretty much all downhill, and victory is granted to those who can exploit the respawn timing best and exploit the chaos of the situation to their advantage. These small windows of opportunity are very situational.

It isn't really fun. It feels kindof random. Its something most other games may experience for short periods, but not to the fully realized extent of something like MAG.

This clusterfuck is the primary thing that's keeping me from wanting to play again.

So I ask you all this, new players and vets alike: Anybody have any wisdom to share or solutions on how to avoid or even overcome the clusterfuck? I'm all ears.

When the people stop playing it like TDM, the clusterfuck should subside. But yeah it's annoying seeing like 4 guys plus you of the whole platoon doing the jobs while the rest wander round aimlessly killing guys, it really turns you off sometimes.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Violater said:
Shocking we beat SVER on domination, no idea how we did it.

That was seriously the best SVER domination I've ever done...when I was in the APC I was like..where are we..I've never been this far. Sorry I only had time for one game but great job guys. And this time Lince was less scary. Maybe cause FFO wasn't there..

sk3tch

NullPointer said:
*snip*

Yeah...teamwork, communication...i.e. spawn, wait until you have a solid group, and then attack versus stream in. :)

"Teamwork, communication" can be used to defend just about any deficiency in this game, really. Be it realistic or not.

sk3tch

Rahxephon91 said:
Anyone have any recommendations for a cheap headset?

In the U.S. look for a SOCOM: Confrontation or Tom Clancy's Endwar BT headset bundle...they both have the official Sony headset in them (which alone retails for $50). It's the best one since it works pretty well and has some PS3-centric features.

Those bundles are on clearance these days...worst case try eBay/Amazon Marketplace.

EDIT: here's an Endwar bundle with the official Sony BT headset for $45 or best offer - link - looks like he bought it at Best Buy, which means he paid just $19.99 for it. If you can't find it at your local Best Buy, go this route. Offer him like $30-$35 and he'll probably take it. :)

sk3tch said:
Yeah...teamwork, communication...i.e. spawn, wait until you have a solid group, and then attack versus stream in. :)

"Teamwork, communication" can be used to defend just about any deficiency in this game, really. Be it realistic or not.

I hear ya, and for the most part I believe you. But the best advice in the moments of the game where its literally a mass of dudes thrown at another, it seems that under the best of circumstances you'll win by pure numbers - throwing more mass at the enemy.

Say you've got a heavily defended letter. Now in a perfect world I'd mass 6 guys on one of the big doors, blow it, toss grenades in, direct some suppression fire til the grenades pop up and then rush in - while hopefully a secondary element of two guys go for the flank entrance, once again using grenades to clear the doorway of personnel and claymores.

But how likely is that to happen ;P

And then you have the sabo example I gave, with both sides converging on C. Seems your best bet there is to just throw the most mass at one entrance, with maybe a harassing party pinning down a second. But with all the random grenade spam its hard as nails to manage anything so sophisticated without drilling the techniques with the same players on a regular basis.

NullPointer said:

Embrace the clusterfuck. You have to raise above the chaos. When you know what to do you can forget about all the bombs going off and focus on what you need to do.

And remember, its a GAME. Die 5 seconds after you respawned from a clusterbomb? Forget about it, it happens to everyone. Just enjoy what the game gives you, and don't drone on what it doesn't.

weekend_warrior said:
Embrace the clusterfuck. You have to raise above the chaos. When you know what to do you can forget about all the bombs going off and focus on what you need to do.

And remember, its a GAME. Die 5 seconds after you respawned from a clusterbomb? Forget about it, it happens to everyone. Just enjoy what the game gives you, and don't drone on what it doesn't.

I like your style weekend_warrior, especially those three words.

This isn't really me bitching. Me and my buds like to discuss strategy and tactics, and we love to formalize plans, even if we are relatively casual players. Just seems there are some situations, the most primary ones, where a lot of those battle plans get thrown right out the window, and yeah, all you can really do is embrace the clusterfuck :p

Words to live by.

NullPointer said:

Completely agree and along with the balance issues, I think it's why I'm ready to bail on it. BC2 is just more consistantly satisfying.

kerrak

What i like about this game is the consistent ability to deliver different experiences and intensities in the same game. Being pinned behind a bridge, rushing objectives, adequately approach the killzones, setting fragos, find weird angles from where you kill your enemies by surprise, rethinking how to get an objective, and yes, clusterfucks. Everything is part of the fun.
Come on! It's like 5-10% maximum of your game time that will end up as a clusterfuck. It's meant to be there! Change your equipment accordingly and enjoy it!

NullPointer said:

I think the answer is time. I played the beta into the mid-20s and I really didn't understand what I was doing, outside of sabotage, until my early-40s in retail. It's going to take time for everyone to learn the ins and outs of each mode and map, to realize the importance of team work, and to understand the leadership roles.

I figure the game will be a much better experience in a few months. We will probably see a balance patch or two in that time span will probably help separate out the dedicated player base from the more "casual" (sorry, don't like the term but I can't think of anything better) players who will have probably moved on by then.

Speaking of patches, I they need to do something to help attackers take down APCs (mobile spawn points). With a squad leader in tow, those bastards are hard to take out. I've said it before in this thread, but I wish they'd give the other team the ability to plant C4 on any APC not in motion. That would be a great asset on both offense and defense.

Billen

Banned
Pancho said:
Has anyone here on GAF getting disconnected continuously in games? Since yesterday I have been disconnected from most games and it's getting EXTREMELY frustrating. It's only with MAG other online games run fine, are the servers overloaded or something?

Happened to me and others I was playing with repeatedly yesterday. Extremely annoying and eventually it made me stop playing. Being thrown out and having to re-enter the domination game with 30 XP is not that fun.

J-Rzez

kerrak said:
What i like about this game is the consistent ability to deliver different experiences and intensities in the same game. Being pinned behind a bridge, rushing objectives, adequately approach the killzones, setting fragos, find weird angles from where you kill your enemies by surprise, rethinking how to get an objective, and yes, clusterfucks. Everything is part of the fun.
Come on! It's like 5-10% maximum of your game time that will end up as a clusterfuck. It's meant to be there! Change your equipment accordingly and enjoy it!

I agree. It's one of the parts of the game that's unique that it has such a variety of things happening. So many different situations can occur here. It can be a new experience nearly every time due to all the variables. It's not just "omg, guys, a guy is hiding behind a box there", it's much, much bigger than that.

Anyways, played a few more quick games tonight, and we beat SVER in Sabo. Our Valor GAF squad of 4 players (for most of the games) single handedly capped A in the first 2 mins of the game, then we assisted B. C took a little longer due to everyone else being lacking in skill and coordination, but we beat them up. SVER and Raven later never got beyond our A and B's. And we destroyed SVER in Domination.

GG's Tele, Prez, and some of the new Valor guys I never played with before.

roxya

Me and my brother created SVER characters (just to test a shotgun-duo without spending respec points -- I'm still loyal to Raven :D), and dear god...... Yes, more people have mics. But it definitely was not a good thing. Never had to block so many people in such a short number of games. One game I had 4 of my squad blocked because they just kept shouting nonsense, or had their mic repeating everything coming from their TV.

Is it normal for SVER people to curse a lot every time they die? I heard it quite a lot from SVER in proximity chat when I was on Raven, but now I can hear a whole squad...

J-Rzez said:
I agree. It's one of the parts of the game that's unique that it has such a variety of things happening. So many different situations can occur here. It can be a new experience nearly every time due to all the variables. It's not just "omg, guys, a guy is hiding behind a box there", it's much, much bigger than that.

Anyways, played a few more quick games tonight, and we beat SVER in Sabo. Our Valor GAF squad of 4 players (for most of the games) single handedly capped A in the first 2 mins of the game, then we assisted B. C took a little longer due to everyone else being lacking in skill and coordination, but we beat them up. SVER and Raven later never got beyond our A and B's. And we destroyed SVER in Domination.

GG's Tele, Prez, and some of the new Valor guys I never played with before.
Definitely some good games. We had some Domination defenses that felt like I was defending SVER where the attackers never really got past our bunker line. I think just having a team communicate enemy locations and objective status helps a whole lot.

I've come to the conclusion that SVERs Sabo map isn't unbalanced at all. It's just you have way too many people hanging back sniping, and not nearly enough people attacking through the tunnels. You also have the problem of people quitting and tilting the odds against those remaining. C may be hard to take, but Valor's C is probably harder.

I'm hoping the Frago range gets increased in an upcoming patch. Defending Valor's Sabotage map, you have to be right on top of the objective to get the bonus. Even at the corner of the tent on the left side of B you won't get Frago points for shooting people coming up the left, and it's only like 20m from the console. Pretty much anywhere you can get the points and still shoot at bad dudes is open ground where it's likely you'll get picked off by a sniper.

KZObsessed

worldrevolution said:
That was seriously the best SVER domination I've ever done...when I was in the APC I was like..where are we..I've never been this far. Sorry I only had time for one game but great job guys. And this time Lince was less scary. Maybe cause FFO wasn't there..

oh, son, prepare for the scare of a lifetime...

BOO!

GodofWine

Played 2 games last night, one great defending (Raven def, Valor attack) Aquisition game, proper team work all around...and then one terrible game of sabo (flip the teams) where half my attacking squad were snipers (who are half worthless attacking in sab) who never pushed far enough ahead to even see the capture point. All they could do was shoot the defenders once they pushed us back 50m behind mid way.

If they weren't all friends, I'd have knifed them all, and healed them for xp, then knifed them again....breaking even. :lol

To avoid clustersfucks, consider hanging around the spawn until you have 3-4 others to go in with. If people keep running into battle alone, its bound to not work. (But don't wait too long cause the enemy will push in further and further. Ideally, a couple dug in machine gunners to just hold the line, and then a coordinated group of AR's to rush it...with the machine gunners falling in behind them to maintain pressure....but good luck getting this accomplished...)

NullPointer said:
And then you have the sabo example I gave, with both sides converging on C. Seems your best bet there is to just throw the most mass at one entrance, with maybe a harassing party pinning down a second. But with all the random grenade spam its hard as nails to manage anything so sophisticated without drilling the techniques with the same players on a regular basis.

I don't play sabotage that much but it's not best to crowd inside with everyone at point C when defending on Raven. Having a few guys out in the tree area getting some kills will reduce the wave of people trying to get inside. Usually the other team is just charging ahead so you should be able to surprise them.

uraldix

GodofWine said:
If they weren't all friends, I'd have knifed them all, and healed them for xp, then knifed them again....breaking even. :lol

There are no points for rezzing a teammate that was TK'd (even if someone else killed them). -10 is ok in some situations though:D

FFObsessed said:
oh, son, prepare for the scare of a lifetime...

I had to turn off my mic during the first Dom match last night, my connection was about 2 seconds behind everyone else and I believe that I actually created a couple of new curse words.

sk3tch

Played a bunch solo in sabo last night after my mic's battery died. I was otp with my gf for like 2+ hrs playing and chatting...and I did awesome lol. She's not the type to nitpick about that (she definitely knew I was playing a game) so it was cool.

Anyway, real pisser from last night was playing a game in sabo, defending our base (S.V.E.R.) with about 4 guys in a clan and another random or two. I did pretty well, just doing my usual base defend/medic stuff...7-5 and around 600XP...so I was apparently the overall MVP because at the end the clan tried to get me kicked. Sooo annoying. Just so they could be #1? I wonder if I would lose everything if I got kicked in the final minute or less of a game?? That would be something they should fix, if so.

BTW - Johnny thanks for putting that port info in the OP from Das-J. I had no idea he replied! Must've missed it. I appreciate it!

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I see all this talk of TK'ing and rezzing or knifing a teammate and healing them...

Am I the only one who doesn't get XP for healing damage I caused?

GodofWine

IPoopStandingUp said:
I see all this talk of TK'ing and rezzing or knifing a teammate and healing them...

Am I the only one who doesn't get XP for healing damage I caused?

Apparently there is no points for it...I never did it...but boy did I want to...stupid worthless snipers...

I apologize for my lack of presence in MAG these days, RavenGAF. Been busy playing Star Trek Online (meh) and Dante's Inferno (whee!), but I will come back soon. :)

man i feel tempted to trade-in MW2 for this, im really jonesing for some large scale tactical battles. in fact i've always dreamt of multiplayer games of more than a 100 people or so :D so far every player count has just felt way too low, no map in COD or Battlefield or whatever i've played has ever felt like a real battle.

but im really, really on the fence. i fear that i will suck hard in this game and just be frustrated playing against all the pros... i'm not completely awful in FPS games, i do fine in KZ2, Bad Company etc. but im afraid it will be a lot different when more tactics are involved. (im kinda slow sometimes LOL, and my english isnt perfect as a non-native speaker). im also afraid that i will be put in a squad leader position or higher, and make really stupid decisions and people would call me all sorts of names etc.. :(

if i get the game, any chance to get in a GAF clan full of nice understanding adult people to ease me in the game..? heh.

uraldix

astroturfing said:
man i feel tempted to trade-in MW2 for this, im really jonesing for some large scale tactical battles. in fact i've always dreamt of multiplayer games of more than a 100 people or so :D so far every player count has just felt way too low, no map in COD or Battlefield or whatever i've played has ever felt like a real battle.

but im really, really on the fence. i fear that i will suck hard in this game and just be frustrated playing against all the pros... i'm not completely awful in FPS games, i do fine in KZ2, Bad Company etc. but im afraid it will be a lot different when more tactics are involved. (im kinda slow sometimes LOL, and my english isnt perfect as a non-native speaker). im also afraid that i will be put in a squad leader position or higher, and make really stupid decisions and people would call me all sorts of names etc.. :(

if i get the game, any chance to get in a GAF clan full of nice understanding adult people to ease me in the game..? heh.

I am average at FPS and I do ok in this one. It will take a little time to get used to it but it isn't brain surgery by any means. Join up with one of the GAF clans and they will help you out.

Billen

Banned
astroturfing said:

Not likely. However, I can offer you a bunch of social misfits with speech impediments, untrustworthy descisions and less than ideal sexual preferences. RavenGAFs arms, and various other parts, are wide open.

Billen said:
Not likely. However, I can offer you a bunch of social misfits with speech impediments, untrustworthy descisions and less than ideal sexual preferences. RavenGAFs arms, and various other parts, are wide open.

well.. that'll do.

jorma

is now taking requests
Cellbomber said:
I don't play sabotage that much but it's not best to crowd inside with everyone at point C when defending on Raven. Having a few guys out in the tree area getting some kills will reduce the wave of people trying to get inside. Usually the other team is just charging ahead so you should be able to surprise them.

Yeah, more than 6-8 guys there is really just a waste since it's so easy to grenade it... but there are so many points to be had up there =)

Recently not many sabotage games progress to C for me though, that goes for both attacking and defending modes - the quality of attackers on sabo seems to be lower than ever... or at least it was this weekend, and maybe the fact that it was weekend is the explanation for that.

But i did have two games attacking valor together with polyhedron and flashhawaii, and both of them got us to C, so it does not seem to require much to tip the edge.

jorma

is now taking requests
Billen said:

The Swedish way of warfare since the Viking era..:p

uraldix

BruceLeeRoy said:
How do I lock on with the P-600 Rocket Launcher?
Are the servers down for anyone else?

L1 to aim. If you have the crosshairs on a turret or a vehicle it will beep and lock on. I'm not sure if it will lock on to people.

uraldix said:
L1 to aim. If you have the crosshairs on a turret or a vehicle it will beep and lock on. I'm not sure if it will lock on to people.

Really? Hmm I have it hovering over a helicoptor, and turret all the time and it doesn't seem to ever lock on. I always have to shoot it manually. Is there a attachment I have to put on?

uraldix

BruceLeeRoy said:
Really? Hmm I have it hovering over a helicoptor, and turret all the time and it doesn't seem to ever lock on. I always have to shoot it manually. Is there a attachment I have to put on?

Nope but it can be a little picky about where you have aim sometimes. I quit using the lock on rockets because of this. I would occasionally get mowed down trying to get a lock on with a turret.

archnemesis said:
Have you unlocked the P-600G rocket launcher? The default one doesn't have the lock-on feature.

That would explain the problem even better!

uraldix said:
Nope but it can be a little picky about where you have aim sometimes. I quit using the lock on rockets because of this. I would occasionally get mowed down trying to get a lock on with a turret.

That would explain the problem even better!

Yeah its the 600.

Das-J

Law of the West
J-Rzez said:
Raven later never got beyond our A and B's.

So that was you huh? RavenGAF and I we're pretty frustrated with that one...

I even made it to the top of C with 2 mins left in hopes that we'd secure A+B before time ran out. Though I managed to kill 6 of your compatriots up there I was eventually rushed and overwhelmed as time ran out. Bastards! :lol

My overall enjoyment has gone up considerably since I have started immediately exiting any Domination game where Raven is attacking SVER. I find I don't want to break my controller nearly as much anymore.

Violater

BruceLeeRoy said:
My overall enjoyment has gone up considerably since I have started immediately exiting any Domination game where Raven is attacking SVER. I find I don't want to break my controller nearly as much anymore.

This is the bullshit that's ruining the game for me.
The game starts and we find ourselves greatly outnumbered, yet we still manage to take down their bunkers but unfortunately once we push them back to the Letters we can go no further.

SVER is not invincible.

Me and you Lince we will show them, we will show them all.

Violater said:
This is the bullshit that's ruining the game for me.
The game starts and we find ourselves greatly outnumbered, yet we still manage to take down their bunkers but unfortunately once we push them back to the Letters we can go no further.

SVER is not invincible.

Me and you Lince we will show them, we will show them all.

I completely realize its a pussy move and it does make me feel bad each time. But its either that or I give up the game all-together. Between the absolute ridiculous shit that is SVER being able to shoot and disarm bombs on their gate through the wall and the death trap that is the layout of all their bases I just can't stand it. Over the weekend I played that map 18 times cause I was sick and we never won once. It is still bewildering to me that Zipper didn't catch this shit.

I think there should be no "Exit Game" Button, the leavers ruin every Team Online Experience. If they really have to go, they can turn off their consoles, otherwise, STAY IN THE FUCKING GAME YOU MORONS!

It really ruins the game when 20 Ravens immediately leave when we attack SVER

Top Bottom