• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome teamwork in that SVER Domination attack andycapps & freethought, we rolled right across the map and into taking Vent E and must have held it for nearly 10 minutes solid, shame the other squads couldn't do the same :D

Lince

Banned
jonnybryce said:
I'm sorry, but if I rocket someone's foot they should die. If I rocket someone and it misses them but hits the wall 2 inches to their right, they should still die.

sorry but rockets in MAG are intended for taking down turrets/vehicles, we don't want a 256p rocket fest do we? this is not MW2 where I was running around with RPG + Danger close and killing 3+ scrubs with a rocket aimed at a wall, MAG is better.

And good game Supersharp, we owned SVER on their own map, best Domination game I've had with Valor since I switched over, everyone was following my orders and destroying turrets with RPGs then planting C4 and covering, awesome, we destroyed their front line of bunkers and the AA in 4 minutes.

Lince said:
sorry but rockets in MAG are intended for taking down turrets/vehicles, we don't want a 256p rocket fest do we? this is not MW2 where I was running around with RPG + Danger close and killing 3+ scrubs with a rocket aimed at a wall, MAG is better..

MAG is better in some sense, and in others it's not.

As for the rockets not being effective, your just taking it to the opposite extreme. Rockets should still be dangerous, especially since they are so limited in use in this game, require some skill to aim, slow a player down big time, take lot of CC, and long reload times. Rockets still should be able to kill someone who they hit. They shouldn't be able to take out huge crowds of dudes, but it still should do something. The game just took it to an extreme in the opposite direction when a middle ground should be more appealing.

Lince

Banned
BattleMonkey said:

it's not better when you want to socialize with 12 year-olds, I agree :p

and no, hope Zipper never listen to you about rockets damage, they're perfectly balanced already... but if you really want to use them to destroy a group of soldiers just coordinate your squad to fire some rockets at the same time at their position, problem solved.

Lince said:
it's not better when you want to socialize with 12 year-olds, I agree :p

and no, hope Zipper never listen to you about rockets damage, they're perfectly balanced already... but if you really want to use them to destroy a group of soldiers just coordinate your squad to fire some rockets at the same time at their position, problem solved.

I never said destroy a group of soldiers, just one. If I hit someone with a rocket or within a foot of them, they should be dead simple as that.

Taking out groups, no of course not as anti tank rockets usually don't work that way unless they are a RPG which is not a true anti tank weapon.

Mag is far from perfection.

uraldix

BattleMonkey said:
I never said destroy a group of soldiers, just one. If I hit someone with a rocket or within a foot of them, they should be dead simple as that.

Taking out groups, no of course not as anti tank rockets usually don't work that way unless they are a RPG which is not a true anti tank weapon.

Most of them are dead. Heavy armor, cover and Explosives resistance can negate it but most enemies die if you get the rocket to their feet. The cover part could be worked on a bit, seems like the explosion will not pass through openings in cover very well (if at all).

uraldix said:
Most of them are dead. Heavy armor, cover and Explosives resistance can negate it but most enemies die if you get the rocket to their feet. The cover part could be worked on a bit, seems like the explosion will not pass through openings in cover very well (if at all).

Yea it seems pretty random. Also when an engineer is standing right next to a turret you are hitting with a rocket and it does nothing to them, it's really awkward.

Madman

BattleMonkey said:

I hit someone with a rocket 1 time intentionally and it killed them. I have no idea if that's how it works every time, but that's my experience with it. I like it as is. Rockets are too powerful in most games, so a change of pace with that is nice.

Case said:
Game sounds like a mess
Quite the opposite. The reduction in rocket whores is a relief to me.

GodofWine

Case said:
Game sounds like a mess

Its actually the opposite...it can be a 'localized mess' if your one squad is full of fools, but in terms of weapons , they all fit the game well.

If MAG has Killzone's rockets it would be hilariously shattered...in MAG the rockets are for taking out vehicles and guns, they are not anti-personel weapons, and therefore you should not be using them as such. No soldier in battle in real life would fire a vehicle lockon rocket at a person (unless it was a total desperate last resort and it would probably miss).

MAG is the SOCOM of FPS's..it might not be easy to grasp, but its balanced, and it all kinda makes sense eventually. (it makes playing COD feel like being locked in a padded cell with 12 people who are on meth...but I still like COD for its insane look at combat)

KZObsessed

Lince said:
sorry but rockets in MAG are intended for taking down turrets/vehicles, we don't want a 256p rocket fest do we? this is not MW2 where I was running around with RPG + Danger close and killing 3+ scrubs with a rocket aimed at a wall, MAG is better.

And good game Supersharp, we owned SVER on their own map, best Domination game I've had with Valor since I switched over, everyone was following my orders and destroying turrets with RPGs then planting C4 and covering, awesome, we destroyed their front line of bunkers and the AA in 4 minutes.

Wish I was in that game. I had a Domination just then where yet another silent level 53 squad leader who doesn't even know you go for the bunkers before the burn-off towers. Then when we took one bunker instead of FRAGOing the next bunker he FRAGOs one 3 bunkers over. Everyone is too fucking timid to even try and take the next bunker and just held back sniping then all quit as usual. I get 1st MVP with 779 points, the next guy had 300... smh.

uraldix

BattleMonkey said:
Yea it seems pretty random. Also when an engineer is standing right next to a turret you are hitting with a rocket and it does nothing to them, it's really awkward.

It has a small splash damage effect, I'll give you that. I have around 250 kills with it and have actually gotten pretty good at taking people out.

zugzug

played my 3rd game ever as Raven supression, I went 0 kills and 10 deaths. Can't say as I had any fun in that game, died a couple times from behind, died two sniper, saw grenade spam. Yep I officially logged out in frustration. I suck, in my 3rd game ever.

I even had slow reaction time in just firing my gun at enemy straight ahead. :)

Edit: but the goodnews is I reached level 3.

uraldix

How is the SMG for Valor? Anyone used the Vipera (SVER) and Valors that could compare?

zugzug said:
played my 3rd game ever as Raven supression, I went 0 kills and 10 deaths. Can't say as I had any fun in that game, died a couple times from behind, died two sniper, saw grenade spam. Yep I officially logged out in frustration. I suck, in my 3rd game ever.

I even had slow reaction time in just firing my gun at enemy straight ahead. :)

Edit: but the goodnews is I reached level 3.

It takes some time and a couple of upgrades to ease the pain :) Use the LMG or Assault rifle and get the grip/stability upgrades and it will get much easier.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
MidnightRider said:
I haven't been on this game very much. Played it like twice after release.

Is everyone still noobs and doesnt use teamwork? That was the main reason I quit... It always seemed like my squad had to do EVERYTHING

So you had the game brand new and complained everyone else were n00bs?

Oh my! :lol

ibu

So I got back tonight, I notice I have been promoted. Am I a clan officer now? Because I can promote people and what not... I was not informed of this prior to the weekend.

But hey its nice, I am just going to nip into the gym do an induction then ride back. Then I will be online from about 10:30pm onwards GMT.

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend SVER and I look forward to seeing you all online tonight.

Peace

bardia

Decided to join Valor. If anyone could send me a clan invite that'd be great, I posted in the online thread as well. PSN: Pardia

andycapps

Vennt said:
Awesome teamwork in that SVER Domination attack andycapps & freethought, we rolled right across the map and into taking Vent E and must have held it for nearly 10 minutes solid, shame the other squads couldn't do the same :D

I know, that was an epic round.. Was so close too, but the other squads couldn't get their act together.. I should be back on later. Wife got sent home from work because of snow so she's wanting to do the whole "spending time together" thing. Hopefully she goes and takes a nap soon. :D

currently online:

Sabotage
> Raven: 2422
> SVER: 1936
> Valor: 3332

Acquisition
> Raven: 1466
> SVER: 848
> Valor: 882

Domination
> Raven: 1746
> SVER: 2318
> Valor: 2331

SVER is still/again the underdog!

Lince

Banned
andycapps said:
Wife got sent home from work because of snow so she's wanting to do the whole "spending time together" thing. Hopefully she goes and takes a nap soon. :D

that's the spirit :lol

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
andycapps said:
Wife got sent home from work because of snow so she's wanting to do the whole "spending time together" thing. Hopefully she goes and takes a nap soon. :D

"Honey, does this smell like chloroform to you?"

theBishop

Banned
Back from Dominican Republic. Looking to get some game time in tonight RavenGAF. :D

Did the medic patch come out while I was away? I read an interview (joystiq i think) and it sounds like there are a few patches in the queue already.

patsu

BattleMonkey said:

As for the rockets not being effective, your just taking it to the opposite extreme. Rockets should still be dangerous, especially since they are so limited in use in this game, require some skill to aim, slow a player down big time, take lot of CC, and long reload times. Rockets still should be able to kill someone who they hit. They shouldn't be able to take out huge crowds of dudes, but it still should do something. The game just took it to an extreme in the opposite direction when a middle ground should be more appealing.

I like the MAG rockets and snipers. They are tuned for gameplay reason.

I use the rocket rather often against people who carry shotguns. They *require* practices/skills to get a kill, but would send a guy back to the respawn screen. It helps to break up a group of shotgunners.

An indirect hit will still take hit points away from the target(s). So it helps my comrades to remove the targets too.

theBishop

Banned
I only use the rockets for vehicles and turrets. I've just never had luck with them against infantry.

Even though the snipers are tricky, I do have fun racking up headshots toward the end of a failed Domination map, or if it seems like machine-gunning defenders at the windows need to be thinned out.

I went back a couple pages and I didn't see a response to my question about the SIDEARM Ribbon (30 kills. one round). Is there some loadout which makes this a reasonable thing to achieve? The trophy requires five (5), plus some other stuff.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
theBishop said:
I went back a couple pages and I didn't see a response to my question about the SIDEARM Ribbon (30 kills. one round). Is there some loadout which makes this a reasonable thing to achieve? The trophy requires five (5), plus some other stuff.
Best I could find was get the 2nd sidearm gun. I plan to respec to that with a stealth combo in order to get ribbon/trophies

KZObsessed

theBishop said:
I only use the rockets for vehicles and turrets. I've just never had luck with them against infantry.

Even though the snipers are tricky, I do have fun racking up headshots toward the end of a failed Domination map, or if it seems like machine-gunning defenders at the windows need to be thinned out.

Yeh that overpowered SMG or whatever you unlock for side arm. Headshot people from miles away, complete bullshit. Use it.

patsu

It's very difficult to get a kill if the target is too close.

It's easier to get an anti-personnel Rocket kill in mid range. I'm trying to get a tier 3 sniper rifle now, so I am usually some distance behind my guys.

I'd use the Rockets to weaken the enemies ahead of them, or to take out remaining enemies (when our guys are all dead).

The smarter enemies are all spread out, so the RPG would be mostly useless.

methane47

I just remembered i had to tell you guys this story.. Sooo a couple days ago my brother hit lvl 15 and was SUPER PUMPED to league a squad

Soo he applied and GOT IT... he was soo pumped when the game started and he was like

Him: "Ok what do I do"
me: "Uhh you know they can hear you right?"
him: gets nervous takes off headset (MY HEADSET) and throws it across the room quick..

at this time i got alittle upset.. i was like wtf dude.. this aint cheap... come put it on and lead the squad.
He then said no man... you put it on..... I thought about it for a second... then ... was like.. OK

me: (in my gayest voice with a lisp i could muster) "Hayyyyy guyysssss"

my brother's wife BURST OUT Laughing

me: (Still in my gay voice) "I feel pretty... .oh soo pretty .... I feel pretty... and witty... and GAYYyyyyyyyyyyy"

at this time my brother turns around and is livid...

So i carry on with the chatter for a while lol

J-Rzez

Madman said:
I, for one, am shocked at this conclusion. :p

It's the truth though. Playing in a SVER vs Raven game is like watching two monkey's trying to hump a football. The coordination is amiss on both sides. It's incredibly actually, and makes things even more interesting while playing lol.

KZObsessed

Holy fucking shit. Just joined a Domination match where my squad consisted of the OIC (level 59) Level 60 Squad leader and two members of his clan one at level 59 as well (who was Platoon leader) and one at 30. Biggest bunch of clueless twats I've ever seen. They just drove the APC straight across the bridge and plowed it headfirst into the bunker blowing it up and everyone inside over and over again.

I told them to go to the fucking bunker on the left and take that, they tried it once, we got quite far but they died and then they never went that route again. I told them how shit they were and how we need to take the bunkerd first, so the Squad Leader gave me the role. So I FRAGO the bunker and they went the opposite direction. They then continued to dried the APC across the bridge around the bunkers trying to run people over until the thing blows up killing everyone again.

Biggest bunch of fucking dipshits I've ever come across in an online game. MAG is great, I love MAG but there are so many dumbfucks in the community half the games are completely unplayable. I'm completely done with playing this game unless I'm in a fairly full GAF squad. I was in one prior, but the game froze and when I rejoined I was placed with those twats.

edit: and then we destroy SVER next game. Crazy. :lol

theBishop

Banned
FFObsessed said:
Yeh that overpowered SMG or whatever you unlock for side arm. Headshot people from miles away, complete bullshit. Use it.

Is the SMG confirmed to be a sidearm? Notice there are two SMG-looking guns. I have one which fits into the sidearm slot and actually appears as a handgun icon when I get kills with it.

I haven't tried the SMG, but when I get killed by SVER players, it has a different icon. It doesn't look like a sidearm to me.

theBishop

Banned
FFObsessed said:
They just drove the APC straight across the bridge and plowed it headfirst into the bunker blowing it up and everyone inside over and over again.

blood! blood!

PS: ravengaf, I'm gonna play some.

KZObsessed

theBishop said:
Is the SMG confirmed to be a sidearm? Notice there are two SMG-looking guns. I have one which fits into the sidearm slot and actually appears as a handgun icon when I get kills with it.

I haven't tried the SMG, but when I get killed by SVER players, it has a different icon. It doesn't look like a sidearm to me.

The Close Quarters ones don't count but on Personal Defence Tier 2 there's a Machine Pistol, not an SMG sorry. Couldn't think of the name.

Don't know about Raven but SVER and Valor have one. I get sniped by the SVER one all the time, it's so annoying. Wish I bothered to unlock it. :p

theBishop

Banned
FFObsessed said:
The Close Quarters ones don't count but on Personal Defence Tier 2 there's a Machine Pistol, not an SMG sorry. Couldn't think of the name.

If you can get 30 kills with that thing, let me know.

If you get 30 kills 5 times, you should probably keep it a secret.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Also...I hope an update has a "Keep squad together" option for when entering games. Too many times entering a game in progress to back out because everyone is split up

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
theBishop said:

Yeah, Raven's SMG is P90. It's actually quite good, not as good as Viperea (or whatever SVER's SMG called) but you get tons of headshots with it.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Has anyone here on GAF getting disconnected continuously in games? Since yesterday I have been disconnected from most games and it's getting EXTREMELY frustrating. It's only with MAG other online games run fine, are the servers overloaded or something?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Corran Horn said:
Also...I hope an update has a "Keep squad together" option for when entering games. Too many times entering a game in progress to back out because everyone is split up

Yeah, I didnt know that could actually happen until I started playing with Valor. The problem is that too many valor people quit, leaving holes in squads. When I was with sver (i sound like an old man reminiscing), the squad was rarely, if ever, broken up bc no one quit.

Top Bottom