• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Lince

Banned
Violater said:
Me and you Lince we will show them, we will show them all.

:lol

yesterday some randoms were using rockets to take down the turrets, the end is nigh!

and hope our GAF friends noticed what happened after we lost the Anti-Air battery (I was the only one defending that and got overwhelmed), everything went to shit immediately with non-stop airstrikes, stop going for the cooling tower God damn it, let the randoms deal with that, we must defend our bunker and the AA.

uraldix said:
I will follow and rez you if get incapacitated.

yes please, my K/D took a sharp nosedive ever since I joined Valor (from 2.30 to 2.02, I understand starting as a level 1 veteran without your gear and stuff is hard but still... easy mode no more :p)

Tryckser said:
It really ruins the game when 20 Ravens immediately leave when we attack SVER

20? that's nothing compared to what I've seen here, 30-40 "Valor" pussies leaving the game during the fucking briefing screen, go play Suppression you rednecks, we don't need you anyway.

como diría Violater, "tu madre es una puta"

Violater

BruceLeeRoy said:
I completely realize its a pussy move and it does make me feel bad each time. But its either that or I give up the game all-together. Between the absolute ridiculous shit that is SVER being able to shoot and disarm bombs on their gate through the wall and the death trap that is the layout of all their bases I just can't stand it. Over the weekend I played that map 18 times cause I was sick and we never won once. It is still bewildering to me that Zipper didn't catch this shit.

Gates are indeed an annoyance, but I find more times I will set the charge then run around the back to the entrance they use and surprise them.
This even works better to cut them off from the point of entry when you have cleared the room. Multiple doors open towards an objective can be detrimental to both defensive and offensive squads, control is the key.

Stop Quitting out, Hulk the Ffff up :lol

Lince said:

lol

GodofWine

OK...so Im assuming that each PMC has its advantage...but I can't figure out Ravens...which is what I am...I mean, my weapons are weak? right?

Does armor penetration mean something to me as a Raven, like do I have more than others? Do my 'gadgets' work better (we are "high tech", we should have an exclusive toy or two, no?)? Or do I just look like the man in a black unitard?

Violater

GodofWine said:
OK...so Im assuming that each PMC has its advantage...but I can't figure out Ravens...which is what I am...I mean, my weapons are weak? right?

Does armor penetration mean something to me as a Raven, like do I have more than others? Do my 'gadgets' work better (we are "high tech", we should have an exclusive toy or two, no?)? Or do I just look like the man in a black unitard?

batman_pow.gif

too easy lol

GodofWine said:

Raven guns I believe are the overall weakest, but generally more accurate.

Really outside of gun stats and the maps, the differences are all cosmetic.

TheFallen

BruceLeeRoy said:
I completely realize its a pussy move and it does make me feel bad each time. But its either that or I give up the game all-together. Between the absolute ridiculous shit that is SVER being able to shoot and disarm bombs on their gate through the wall and the death trap that is the layout of all their bases I just can't stand it. Over the weekend I played that map 18 times cause I was sick and we never won once. It is still bewildering to me that Zipper didn't catch this shit.
I've seen it happen with Valor players. I've been on both sides seeing someone doing it. Hell, just yesterday a teammate (Valor) kept defusing a gate and killing SVER players on the other side by running into the wall and shooting blindly.

But one exploit should not lead you to abandon every single match against SVER. Not that many people know about it.

What is ruining the game for me (and many others) is the way people are coping with shit like this. The way you are. Flat out leaving matches. How do you think the other players feel? It is a pussy move and you should feel bad. Fuck, don't even play the game if that's what you're going to do. Ruining it for everyone else. Anyone who exploits or leaves games should just quit. Both groups of people are killing the MAG community.

TheFallen said:
I've seen it happen with Valor players. I've been on both sides seeing someone doing it. Hell, just yesterday a teammate (Valor) kept defusing a gate and killing SVER players on the other side by running into the wall and shooting blindly.

But one exploit should not lead you to abandon every single match against SVER. Not that many people know about it.

What is ruining the game for me (and many others) is the way people are coping with shit like this. The way you are. Flat out leaving matches. How do you think the other players feel? It is a pussy move and you should feel bad. Fuck, don't even play the game if that's what you're going to do. Ruining it for everyone else. Anyone who exploits or leaves games should just quit. Both groups of people are killing the MAG community.

No, Zipper not fixing it is killing the community. It all boils down to their doing. Conceived balance issues, glitches, people abandoning games, it all has roots in problems with the game. If people are not happy, they are going to quit, simple as that.

FYI:

http://blog.mag.com/blog/2010/02/patch-alert-mag-v1-02/

Patch Details:

MAG Patch v1.02
Available February 17, 2010 | 40MB (TPPS), 55MB (DLS)

Gameplay

* Fixed issue where water-submerged players could not be resuscitated.

Interface

* Restricted Medic icon for downed players will only show up to those with the “Resuscitation” Support Skill Equipped.
* Incapacitated player icons are now hidden from teammates who can’t resuscitate them.
* Added distance indicator for incapacitated teammates (meters).
* Added distance display for “Anti-Personnel” and “Anti-Tank” Mines for both teammates and enemies equipped with the “Explosives Detector.”
* Localization changes for language in the Armory screen.

Technical

* Fixed XP requirements for Level 36 (moved from 23,686 to 21,999) and Level 37 (moved from 23,803 to 23,083).
* Statistical changes to support eventual integration into MAG.com website.

Server

* Improved server performance to reduce instances of lag in population-heavy games.
* Groups cannot enter match if one of its members is banned from the game.
* Regional server hosting IDs adjusted in North American locations.

Apparently, the patch after 1.02 will be big...

methane47

surefire1982 said:
FYI:

Patch Details:

MAG Patch v1.02

Gameplay

* Fixed issue where water-submerged players could not be resuscitated.

Interface

* Restricted Medic icon for downed players will only show up to those with the “Resuscitation” Support Skill Equipped.
* Incapacitated player icons are now hidden from teammates who can’t resuscitate them.
* Added distance display for “Anti-Personnel” and “Anti-Tank” Mines for both teammates and enemies equipped with the “Explosives Detector.”
* Localization changes for language in the Armory screen.

Technical

* Fixed XP requirements for Level 36 (moved from 23,686 to 21,999) and Level 37 (moved from 23,803 to 23,083).

Server

* Improved server performance to reduce instances of lag in population-heavy games.
* Groups cannot enter match if one of its members is banned from the game.
* Regional server hosting IDs adjusted in North American locations.

Apparently, the patch after 1.02 will be big...

I would imagine so.. as if they were to balance SVER (which sadly will NO DOUBT COMPLETELY NERF them to the point where they will be unable to win matches) it would force them to re-do the entire map wouldn't it?

uraldix

Lince said:
yes please, my K/D took a sharp nosedive ever since I joined Valor (from 2.30 to 2.02, I understand starting as a level 1 veteran without your gear and stuff is hard but still... easy mode no more :p)

My K/D stayed an even 1.2. Shows that if you suck, changing factions only affects your winning percentage which has taken a major hit.

Lince said:

That's not very nice! Some of us have wives that know Spanish.

sk3tch

surefire1982 said:
FYI:

Patch Details:

MAG Patch v1.02

*snip*

Interface

*snip*

Technical

*snip*

Server

*snip*

AWESOME!!! Totally psyched for this and makes sense. Esp. the medic stuff...no more people bitching that folks run past them and not rez. Man I am sick of those whiners.

Palmer_v1

I wish more people that played MAG understood the concept of combined arms. Your APC isn't worth shit if you don't keep it supported with infantry. Also, don't spawn at the friggin helicopter if your APC is further ahead. You don't have to immediately jump out when you spawn either. The PC part of APC stands for Personnel Carrier. Let the APC do it's fucking job. You should always keep it near the front line, but don't expose it to enemy RPG fire if you can avoid it. The only exception is if you can get it behind the enemy lines to relative safety. That requires some coordination with your squad so they are spawning en mass from the APC to wreak havoc, rather than at the helicopter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_arms

Lince

Banned
playing with Valor gets on my nerves, drives me crazy... I apologize to those who are suffering my rage in-game, but planting 5 times the c4 on C on SVER sabotage map and then noticing no one has bothered to go inside the building is just insane. Only the GAF guys were trying to push, the rest were stupids, useless and sometimes annoying with the usual team killing from time to time (some redneck stabbing me in the back twice).

edit: also some glitches starting to surface at least on Valor domination map, some Russian guys inside a wall in G/F pump stations control rooms (glitching inside some pillars there, I noticed just a tiny part of a weapon sticking out of the wall and I shot there then *bam* two members of the URS clan dead, fucking annoying. Couple that with the already known glitch of people going through walls near the gates in F and we're set for this game going to shit shortly.

Also, fuck the fucking quitters, they're ruining the game, everytime we face SVER half the team leaves the game... morons, they should be banned 1 hour from the game every time they manually quit a game. Do something about this Zipper !

TheFallen said:

I can agree to a point but the only match I quit out of is SVER Domination when were attacking. Its such a shitty unbalanced nightmare of a map that I can't take it. Look man I hate to tell you this but the fact that people are quitting that often and frequent shows how messed up that map is. I will put up with a lot of shit but until that map gets a serious overhaul count me out.

I would also like to point out that since the last beta up till this point in the game I have never not once won a match against SVER in Domination when were attacking. Not once. If that isn't absolutely shitty game design then I don't know what is.

Lince

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
I would also like to point out that since the last beta up till this point in the game I have never not once won a match against SVER in Domination when were attacking. Not once. If that isn't absolutely shitty game design then I don't know what is.

Even with the morons @ Valor we've already won several times against SVER in Domination, we always use the sweep technique though, attacking the first bunker on the far left side of the map and then proceed to take the rest and the AA, then finally go for the burnout towers. If you go to the burnout towers first you're always bound to lose.

uraldix

BruceLeeRoy said:
I can agree to a point but the only match I quit out of is SVER Domination when were attacking. Its such a shitty unbalanced nightmare of a map that I can't take it. Look man I hate to tell you this but the fact that people are quitting that often and frequent shows how messed up that map is. I will put up with a lot of shit but until that map gets a serious overhaul count me out.

People quitting is a major reason why the map seems so imbalanced. Everyone claims the map is impossible to beat so they quit, the team is down 20-30 players and loses. The problem feeds itself.

BTW I am 2-2 attacking SVER (with pugs), the 2 wins were games where the leaders knew what to do and the players followed orders.

TheFallen

BruceLeeRoy said:

Yea, I understand the map has some balance issues. I can completely agree with you on that end of it. I just wish people weren't outright quitting matches before they start. With half the platoons gone in a Domination match, I'm just wasting my time. Should I quit too? It's just going to keep getting worse for the community. But the thing is, the map is beatable. I've only been in Valor for like a week now, and I've seen us defeat SVER on that map at least a dozen times since then. It's not luck that gets the win either. It has a lot to do with the players. There was a match the other day Valor defending vs. SVER - Violator, Lince, myself, and several others were watching in disbelief as half of the Valor players decided they were better off sniping from the spawn behind walls or idling instead of defending the pumps.

Obviously Zipper should make some changes, and a lot of the blame should be thrown at them. They've had many months to do something about the imbalances and exploits. These betas have been going on for quite some time. But let's not forget that a lot of the players are making matters worse with how they deal with these maps. If things keep up, we'll see many more players quit out of frustration. Which is a pity, MAG is a damn fine game under the best circumstances.

zonezeus

Lince said:
sometimes annoying with the usual team killing from time to time (some redneck stabbing me in the back twice).

This reminds me: sorry for the insane team killing on one or two occasions guys, I tend to get trigger-happy and knife-happy in confined spaces. Gotta work on that, I almost never played with a good team so I almost never cared about a couple of "friendly" headshots here and there :lol

TheFallen said:
Yea, I understand the map has some balance issues. I can completely agree with you on that end of it. I just wish people weren't outright quitting matches before they start. With half the platoons gone in a Domination match, I'm just wasting my time. Should I quit too? It's just going to keep getting worse for the community. But the thing is, the map is beatable. I've only been in Valor for like a week now, and I've seen us defeat SVER on that map at least a dozen times since then. It's not luck that gets the win either. It has a lot to do with the players. There was a match the other day Valor defending vs. SVER - Violator, Lince, myself, and several others were watching in disbelief as half of the Valor players decided they were better off sniping from the spawn behind walls or idling instead of defending the pumps.

Yes you should absolutely quit. Either spend 30 min of your life in the shittiest way imaginable or keep quitting until Zipper wakes the fuck up. Its that simple

J-Rzez

Das-J said:
So that was you huh? RavenGAF and I we're pretty frustrated with that one...

I even made it to the top of C with 2 mins left in hopes that we'd secure A+B before time ran out. Though I managed to kill 6 of your compatriots up there I was eventually rushed and overwhelmed as time ran out. Bastards! :lol

Lol. Well I didn't come across you in there I don't believe. So you're one of those people though huh? Whenever I see one capped, and the other flashing, I would run back to C because I knew there would be at least one person in there trying to plant.

I hope SVER doesn't really get nerfed. They don't need any "fixes". They're certainly not invincible as I've been seeing since going to Valor. We really tore them up. Once again, the vast, and probably total difference in the PMC's in this game is the player skill pool.

My K/D dropped dramatically since I started power leveling, sucks. I miss my old 4.8 k/d ratio. I wish I sniped to boost it up dramatically, but I have to continue power leveling yet.

I'm ready for some DLC. Weapons, new skills, and certainly maps. Go go Zipper.

icechai

Man some of you have really bad luck against SVER huh? I switched to Valor 2 days ago and the majority of domination attacks against SVER have been wins. A few times w/ Click & FFO, and last night w/ Lince (although I did hear a big "OMG HOW'D WE WIN" coming from him :p). I think it really boils down to incompetence of non-SVER players. Many complaints from Lince and co. are how they're doing the objectives but have no backup. This isn't because the backup gets shot to death instantly, its because they hang back too far and snipe uselessly. It's also easier if you do a sweep w/ 2 squads, but SVER always does this anyways.

I guess the best way to "fix" the game would be to tweak the map so people don't start off in useless sniping positions and tweak some SVER turret placements so there's more hills/walls in the way. Also to give penalty for dropping out of the game (although that would only work if network is more stable cuz there's so many d/cs anyways). But from the 2 days I've been playing Valor, its just the luck of the draw on whether you have Valor players who know how to play or not.

*note, one game on defense I did go on a rage against useless snipers proning by our SPAWN, not even close to the entrance of where they go for the letters. Went around and knifed all of them in the last 2 min until someone was screaming "why would you do that?! I've never seen that before! WTF" :D

surefire1982 said:
Very nice, it can be really annoying starting off in the direction of a downed player only to realize they're nowhere near you.

ibu

Is it just me or has this game turned into whiner central?
Everytime I am online, someone bitches the either the whole game or at the end of the game, they never attempt to communicate as a team.

Its really annoying and destroying the fun factor this game had.

Aaaah well I am level 44 now... 16 more to go then off to Valor... I guess.

sk3tch

ibu said:
Is it just me or has this game turned into whiner central?
Everytime I am online, someone bitches the either the whole game or at the end of the game, they never attempt to communicate as a team.

Its really annoying and destroying the fun factor this game had.

Aaaah well I am level 44 now... 16 more to go then off to Valor... I guess.

Not just you. I actually enjoy playing early in the morning because then I get to hang out with the JPN (quiet, respectful, or if they talk I don't know wtf they are saying so it doesn't bug me) and other foreign folks.

I just played for about 90 minutes from 4PM - 5:30PM Central in the US and it was just kids, rap music, some dude's bro playing guitar (and assholes were requesting the kid to play songs!! wtf!! where am I? a damn coffee shop?)...UGH. I hate blocking people but now I am doing it more and more. It seems like when people use their mics it is just to curse, talk shit, or whatever...no actual tactics type stuff. Useless.

Maybe I'm just an old fuddy duddy now lol.

I love how all the guys that try and make the claim that the game is completely fine with no balance issues are never on Raven.(JR I am looking at you)

uraldix

Joined a Dom attack game that Lince was in a little bit ago and ended being the only squad that didn't open the letters. Squad leader was clueless and kept going after the towers. For a brief moment, I had everyone on the same page. We took out two bunkers and planted at the AA and then everyone scattered and let them get the bunkers back up. After that it was sit back and try to get the K/D up.

The guys in Valor need to learn to keep pushing and victory will come!

BruceLeeRoy said:
Yes you should absolutely quit. Either spend 30 min of your life in the shittiest way imaginable or keep quitting until Zipper wakes the fuck up. Its that simple

My 30 minutes of hell is due in large part to the fact that everyone quits. Don't sign up for Dom if you aren't planning on playing.

methane47

Just had some fun matches with whats left of SVER gaf..

One notable match.. i was squad leader but had no idea... I heard people shouting over the mics angry at the SL but i didn't realize it was me haha..

Anyways we lost the bunker in less than 2 minutes..

When i spawed at the base i decided to check which idiot was the SL... found out it was me :\

ANYWAYS... after that i started Acting like a leader... and we ended up with the win anyways... Resoundingly so actually. The enemy never even got control of our Letter... we held out so well... for more than 20 minutes no less. :)

uraldix said:
My 30 minutes of hell is due in large part to the fact that everyone quits. Don't sign up for Dom if you aren't planning on playing.

I play absolutely every Dom match I get thrown into even the majority of the ones where I have to attack SVER but if I see guys start leaving I am out.

The quitting thing may be annoying, but you can't tell someone what they have to play. If they don't like a map, so be it. It's their game, their time, their choice.

uraldix

BruceLeeRoy said:
I play absolutely every Dom match I get thrown into even the majority of the ones where I have to attack SVER but if I see guys start leaving I am out.

I quoted you but it was aimed at the general population. Too many people quit and that isn't sending a message to Zipper, it is screwing your teammates. It will be real easy for Zipper to come to the conclusion that the reason factions lose on certain maps because they are out manned.

PedroLumpy said:
The quitting thing may be annoying, but you can't tell someone what they have to play. If they don't like a map, so be it. It's their game, their time, their choice.

True but that doesn't mean I have to sit back and say nothing about it either. If they are worried about getting their skirts bloodied, they should stick to playing with Barbies :D

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Oh geeze, the amount of idiots getting this game is frustrating. Just got out of a game with a pickup group.

The squad leader refused to frago anything, giving his other clan members tips on how to get "loads of xp" by only having the resuscitation kit out and to "forget about even shooting". It was so painful. He told them all "let them take the burnout towers, we get more xp when defending E and F". Then he spent the last 10 minutes of the game trying to boot me so he could be top of the squad in points.

My head almost exploded, I proceeded to yell at him in the mic and he just completely ignored me (which was probably the most frustrating part :lol ).

Fizzle

^ Isn't there like a player rating system in the game?

If that's a way that idiots can rank up and become eligible for being squad leader, then that's just lame. >=|

andycapps

You SVER guys that switched to Valor should have gone Raven.. Just saying.

Raven has definitely seemed to have gotten better the past couple weeks. I think it comes with our squad getting a little better, but mostly that the average players (for the most part) seem to have improved. As the game continues to grow and new games come out to weed the ranks, I imagine that the players that remain will have the techniques down.

And yeah, the "sweep" technique works well providing that you can get that first bunker down. I've seen a couple times where SVER will stack two squads on the far bunker to counteract that, so it's not infallible. That is, unless you can get Raven or Valor to team up with two squads to take the one bunker.

uraldix said:
True but that doesn't mean I have to sit back and say nothing about it either. If they are worried about getting their skirts bloodied, they should stick to playing with Barbies :D

Certainly I approve of voicing your distaste for them. However when we start talking about quitting penalties is when I get nervous. No one should tell me me how to play my game. Uncharted's quitting penalty did me in for that game.

J-Rzez

BruceLeeRoy said:
I love how all the guys that try and make the claim that the game is completely fine with no balance issues are never on Raven.(JR I am looking at you)

Well as far as the complaints lobbied against SVERs maps are a myth, outside the door disarm stuff that valor can do as well it seems. I'm happy attacking all the maps now, defending Valor is fine too. I'll play Raven next, but I remember being successful in beta as them then honestly.

Unfortunately, with any online game, the vast majority of balancing will be directly related to player skill pool. Where ever the majority of the better players are will create an imbalance.

J-Rzez said:
Unfortunately, with any online game, the vast majority of balancing will be directly related to player skill pool. Where ever the majority of the better players are will create an imbalance.

What other shooter has had this sort of PMC splitting of the community?

Oh wait, are you thinking something like WoW with Alliance vs Horde? Shamans vs Paladins for example?

Oh and a quick request, could a few people post their total exp and how much of that is frago exp? Or just give me the ratio/percentage or whatever. I would have posted mine but I forgot and just turned off my PS3 and I need to hit the sack.

Just curious if I'm wildly out of line with other people.

bardia

is the 2nd LMG for Valor better than the one you start off with? I was tempted to unlock it but reluctant to spend the points until I heard some opinions from people that have used it.

bardia said:
is the 2nd LMG for Valor better than the one you start off with? I was tempted to unlock it but reluctant to spend the points until I heard some opinions from people that have used it.

It's pretty sweet. The long range accuracy is terrible, even with the front grip and stability perk it's comparable to the first LMG without either. It's also heavier, 800c vs 600c for the first, so plan out your loadouts so you know it'll work.

Up close and personal it's a brute. Well worth 5 points if you've already gone down the LMG tree to unlock it. There's probably no gun in the game that'll clear a room like it. But again, not great if you typically get a lot of long range kills.

Lince

Banned
haha amazing last domination game on SVER map, we decided to start the "sweeping technique" from the far left bunker and oh boy, 3 SVER quads were there trying to stop us... the reason? no one was trying to take the other bunkers because EVERYONE LEFT, it was only our GAF squad and a bunch of randoms, of course we brilliantly destroyed every bunker and the AA, but the pump stations were filled with too many enemies for us to capture any of them, if Zipper are not gonna fix this "quitters" bullshit I'm stopping playing this otherwise awesome game. FUCK YOU QUITTERS, MAN UP ALREADY.

edit: just ban them a couple of hours from playing any Domination game if they manually selected "exit the game", not a server d/c or PSN error, ok? thx.

Noshino

polyh3dron said:
Damn, no RavenGAF tonight? I was the only one online.

sorry poly, was playing Risk (first time) and I already had s america, africa, half of europe and half of north america...and then they all ganged up against me and I lost, and Im pissed and now Im off to the sack

BruceLeeRoy said:
I wait with great relish for the majority of SVER gaf to go Raven when they "prestige" or whatever its called.

They ll continue with the same crap, and if they fail to win, they ll blame the rest, isn't that basically what they have been doing all along? :lol

Lince said:
haha amazing last domination game on SVER map, we decided to start the "sweeping technique" from the far left bunker and oh boy, 3 SVER quads were there trying to stop us... the reason? no one was trying to take the other bunkers because EVERYONE LEFT, it was only our GAF squad and a bunch of randoms, of course we brilliantly destroyed every bunker and the AA, but the pump stations were filled with too many enemies for us to capture any of them, if Zipper are not gonna fix this "quitters" bullshit I'm stopping playing this otherwise awesome game. FUCK YOU QUITTERS, MAN UP ALREADY.

edit: just ban them a couple of hours from playing any Domination game if they manually selected "exit the game", not a server d/c or PSN error, ok? thx.

Maybe you should try Acquisition, put your awesome GAF skills on display there. Probably be less quitters.

jorma

is now taking requests
BruceLeeRoy said:

To be fair, he is pretty much the only one who still maintains this position.

Top Bottom