• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Lince said:
edit: just ban them a couple of hours from playing any Domination game if they manually selected "exit the game", not a server d/c or PSN error, ok? thx.

I can see tears over that. 8 GAF going to join a game of Dom as a group but 6 make it into the same squad and 2 others in some other random squad. We've all been in that situation before and usually manually quit back so we can try again to appear as a group.

Oh and lol@the major Raven Teen Squad ownage Valor gave them in Sabo on Ravens map. 1min 59secs. Thanks for coming boys. :lol

krioto

I never quit - and I'm in Raven - more reasons to quit than any others!

I even love the Domination rollovers that the other pmcs perform on the Raven defence map, but it's just so manic and cool to be playing against so many others.

I always go down with the ship.

CryptiK

Sorry but if a ban was implemented over manually disconnecting I wouldnt play any more simply because I don't like getting stuck in squads with screaming idiots or people that dont speak english

Axiom

I don't get to run with GAF much, but when I join GAF games in progress I've never see any GAF quitters on Raven side, even when I was stuck in a squad with two people in it.

uraldix

PedroLumpy said:
Certainly I approve of voicing your distaste for them. However when we start talking about quitting penalties is when I get nervous. No one should tell me me how to play my game. Uncharted's quitting penalty did me in for that game.

It doesn't bother me if they implement penalties because I rarely quit. The only time that I manually back out is if I am in a group that gets broken up.

I really don't get the whole "my game" argument because MAG is a team based game and when people quit the rest of the team gets penalized. Why should the person that quit get a free pass?

GodofWine

1- Quit penalties - yea, totally agree, they shouldn't be monumental, like 50xp at the beginning, 25xp at the halfway point, etc, you shouldn't be allowed to 'not deploy where you are told to'..its not about 'you' anymore.

2- I didn't know you could go from having 2 vehicles defended with a gate up, with 2 minutes to go....to losing the gate and both vehicles and the match with 30 seconds remaining, that must be some unfortunate record...

3- Sony should have made a MAG bundle with mic (with PS3)....this game needs to be pushed to the masses, Im convinced it is the direction FPS will take...so sony should make every effort (along with zipper) to make this the 'Halo' of the next gen of FPSs....

4- Why am I Raven....is Raven the laughing stock of the PMCs? why do people snipe on Sabo attack from positions where they cannot see the objective....fuuuuuuuuuuu

andycapps

GodofWine said:
1- Quit penalties - yea, totally agree, they shouldn't be monumental, like 50xp at the beginning, 25xp at the halfway point, etc, you shouldn't be allowed to 'not deploy where you are told to'..its not about 'you' anymore.

2- I didn't know you could go from having 2 vehicles defended with a gate up, with 2 minutes to go....to losing the gate and both vehicles and the match with 30 seconds remaining, that must be some unfortunate record...

3- Sony should have made a MAG bundle with mic (with PS3)....this game needs to be pushed to the masses, Im convinced it is the direction FPS will take...so sony should make every effort (along with zipper) to make this the 'Halo' of the next gen of FPSs....

4- Why am I Raven....is Raven the laughing stock of the PMCs? why do people snipe on Sabo attack from positions where they cannot see the objective....fuuuuuuuuuuu

1. They need to have some sort of slight penalty for quitting a match, but it shouldn't be anything huge and shouldn't happen if you quit out at the main screen before hitting start before the match. There are numerous times that we in RavenGAF don't all get into the same squad or even the same game so we quit out and go back to the main screen and try again. If we all get a penalty for that, I'd be pissed that the game penalized us for it's own error.

2. Yeah that does sound pretty bad. :lol

3. Somewhat agree with you. It should have had a headset bundled in, but I don't see the game in it's current state appealing to the masses. Maybe the next iteration, but not this. The game is extremely fun as it is, but it has a lot of UI things that need to be addressed, fairly major bugs (gate disarming from inside as an example), and essentially no training level.

4. If anything, I think that Valor (as a whole, not counting ValorGAF) is the laughing stock of PMC's.

uraldix said:
It doesn't bother me if they implement penalties because I rarely quit. The only time that I manually back out is if I am in a group that gets broken up.

I really don't get the whole "my game" argument because MAG is a team based game and when people quit the rest of the team gets penalized. Why should the person that quit get a free pass?

Essentially it's that I am not responsible for you having a good experience. I don't ask you to make my game fun, don't ask me to make yours fun.

It may seem counterintuitive, I know how someone who quits out may be seen as affecting your experience, but by putting in quitting penalties, you are doing that to everyone else. You are trying to force me into a situation I don't want to play in, and thus trying to cause me to have less fun with my game. I can quit out and be in a new match in like 20 seconds. As a result I don't give a shit about teamkillers, people screaming into their mics, people being useless, quitters (lol), lag, or any other problems since I can simply find a new and likely better match in no time. If you put in qutting penalities to solve the 'problem' of quitters, all of the sudden all of those other things become serious problems because I can't escape them.

If they really want to reduce quitting, they should attack the underlying problem, rather than the symptom.

This just popped into my head, anyone think increasing the FRAGO bonus over the course of a match may help? Haven't really thought it through, but similar concept to having a match completed exp bonus.

Lince

Banned
archnemesis said:
Patch 1.02 is up.

39 MB + 115 MB download.

Edit: Got kicked off after three minutes, 3:4 error.

yeah I tried a couple of Domination games and lag was INSANE, rubber banding and people warping around (this with half-filled platoons), the game is unplayable now.

Violater

Lince said:
yeah I tried a couple of Domination games and lag was INSANE, rubber banding and people warping around (this with half-filled platoons), the game is unplayable now.

Fix This Shit Guerrilla!!!

uraldix

PedroLumpy said:
Essentially it's that I am not responsible for you having a good experience. I don't ask you to make my game fun, don't ask me to make yours fun.

No one is saying that you are responsible for making anyone elses game fun (at least I am not). I am only saying that your choice negatively affects the game for others.

PedroLumpy said:
It may seem counterintuitive, I know how someone who quits out may be seen as affecting your experience, but by putting in quitting penalties, you are doing that to everyone else. You are trying to force me into a situation I don't want to play in, and thus trying to cause me to have less fun with my game.

Actually I haven't really advocated them at all. I just said that I am not opposed them. That being said, no one is forcing you to stay in a situation. What penalties do is introduce the question: Is my current situation bad enough that I will accept a penalty to get out. If implemented correctly, it would only have a major effect if you are a serial quitter (e.g. a small xp hit).

PedroLumpy said:
I can quit out and be in a new match in like 20 seconds. As a result I don't give a shit about teamkillers, people screaming into their mics, people being useless, quitters (lol), lag, or any other problems since I can simply find a new and likely better match in no time. If you put in qutting penalities to solve the 'problem' of quitters, all of the sudden all of those other things become serious problems because I can't escape them.

Of all of those problems I personally find quitting to be the worst. Most of the time that I run into TKing it is a mistake by a noob and they are unfortunately unavoidable. I have solved the idiot with a mic problem in the past by starting a vote to kick and letting the rest of my squad know how to vote kick if they are annoyed as well.

PedroLumpy said:
If they really want to reduce quitting, they should attack the underlying problem, rather than the symptom.

And what is the underlying problem? Is it map imbalance, TK's, useless people, people screaming in their mics? How do you even solve any of those problems from a developer standpoint without creating new ones?

PedroLumpy said:
This just popped into my head, anyone think increasing the FRAGO bonus over the course of a match may help? Haven't really thought it through, but similar concept to having a match completed exp bonus.

Personally I would like it because I almost always stay but since match completion bonus doesn't help and most quit before the match even starts, I don't see it helping much.

Lince

Banned
Violater said:
Fix This Shit Guerrilla!!!

:lol

guess server load is peaking with the weird updating system they have in place... should be fine after the half million fools who bought the game are done downloading the patch.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Noshino said:
sorry poly, was playing Risk (first time) and I already had s america, africa, half of europe and half of north america...and then they all ganged up against me and I lost, and Im pissed and now Im off to the sack

They ll continue with the same crap, and if they fail to win, they ll blame the rest, isn't that basically what they have been doing all along? :lol
Pretty much. :p

GodofWine

andycapps said:
3. Somewhat agree with you. It should have had a headset bundled in, but I don't see the game in it's current state appealing to the masses. Maybe the next iteration, but not this. The game is extremely fun as it is, but it has a lot of UI things that need to be addressed, fairly major bugs (gate disarming from inside as an example), and essentially no training level..

Im with ya on this...can't believe there was no proper training level...you really do enter this one clueless (and in my case remain that way and just follow people around).

I figure they'll fix the bugs rather timely if they know whats good for them...but in any online heavy / only only game, you have a few months to establish critical mass / momentum, they need to get this in 1,000,000 homes by April...and have bugs fixed by mid march to avoid being KILLZOWND. (that games user base feel so steeply from week 1 on , it was shocking...and sad since I was so hyped for it...mag I wasn't hyped for, hell I hated the beta...but I now love the game, and am spreading word of mouth on it, Sony owes me commision on 2 copies already! )

I'm thinking of picking it up. I've been playing the Bad Company Demo a lot and I've really enjoyed the squad based gameplay, and I was thinking MAG may have a similar gameplay feel.

I have to ask in general do they ever give any story for the missions in the game and is how is PMC vs PMC combat carried out on a grand scale (can you lose territory) or is it just one match and nothing changes overall (besides stats)?

I was also wondering have people felt that gameplay is heavily squad based, meaning you really work with your squad in achieving objectives? Finally, what are Zippers plans for DLC and other expansion of the game?

Thanks!

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I'm thinking of picking it up. I've been playing the Bad Company Demo a lot and I've really enjoyed the squad based gameplay, and I was thinking MAG may have a similar gameplay feel.

I have to ask in general do they ever give any story for the missions in the game and is how is PMC vs PMC combat carried out on a grand scale (can you lose territory) or is it just one match and nothing changes overall (besides stats)?

I was also wondering have people felt that gameplay is heavily squad based, meaning you really work with your squad in achieving objectives? Finally, what are Zippers plans for DLC and other expansion of the game?

Thanks!

The whole shadow war is basically just a secret war being fought over resources mainly. Not really much story outside of the objective of the map, such as steal opponents new prototype vehicle, take over oil reserves.

The whole shadow war is mostly just fluff for giving the game a setting.

BattleMonkey said:
The whole shadow war is basically just a secret war being fought over resources mainly. Not really much story outside of the objective of the map, such as steal opponents new prototype vehicle, take over oil reserves.

The whole shadow war is mostly just fluff for giving the game a setting.

I figured as much, but I just wanted to double check so I don't go in with unrealistic expectations or something.

andycapps

I figured as much, but I just wanted to double check so I don't go in with unrealistic expectations or something.

Ditto what the previous person said. Don't expect a great backstory, but be sure and have a mic hooked up and play with one of the GAF clans depending on which PMC you pick. And yes, squad play and teamwork is essential for a) winning b) fun. Playing with randoms can be hit or miss, mostly miss. If you have just one person in your clan on, that can be the difference in having a good time or a bad game with all randoms. Having a full clan squad is great and can mean domination.

Shared this a few days ago, but Darvan and I were talking about it another game yesterday, but we had a game last week with a full GAF squad, I believe. We (RavenGAF) held our bunker, the main gate, and another squads bunker next to us by ourselves for the whole game of domination. The other squad had most likely fallen back to their capture point. But yeah, pretty awesome when 8 people are able to hold a gate and two bunkers for the whole game. Awesome, awesome teamwork and one of my favorite times in an online shooter.

uraldix said:
No one is saying that you are responsible for making anyone elses game fun (at least I am not). I am only saying that your choice negatively affects the game for others.

'You' was a bad choice of words, didn't really mean it personally. Meant it more as referring to those who put forward the idea of the penalty. It is unfortunate that quitting might affect someone elses experience, but in the end I'm not going to put that over my enjoyment. Where does it stop if we continue down that train of thought? Say a guy wants to try sniping but he's useless at it, but he is having fun. Everyone else would be better off if he was useful. Is he negatively impacting other peoples play experience? Yes. Do I think he should stop? No, it's his call what he wants to do in the game.

uraldix said:
Actually I haven't really advocated them at all. I just said that I am not opposed them. That being said, no one is forcing you to stay in a situation. What penalties do is introduce the question: Is my current situation bad enough that I will accept a penalty to get out. If implemented correctly, it would only have a major effect if you are a serial quitter (e.g. a small xp hit).

True, but since I feel that everytime I quit out I do so for legitimate reasons, or reasons beyond my control. Therefore I should not be punished for that. It's nice to say that it would only have a major effect on bad people, but I've heard that before, so I would be skeptical. But we are talking hypothetically already anyway.

uraldix said:
Of all of those problems I personally find quitting to be the worst. Most of the time that I run into TKing it is a mistake by a noob and they are unfortunately unavoidable. I have solved the idiot with a mic problem in the past by starting a vote to kick and letting the rest of my squad know how to vote kick if they are annoyed as well.
Personal preference, obviously I feel differently, so moving on ....

uraldix said:
And what is the underlying problem? Is it map imbalance, TK's, useless people, people screaming in their mics? How do you even solve any of those problems from a developer standpoint without creating new ones?

Good question! Exactly what Zipper should be (and I imagine is) considering. Certainly for me I outlined why I occasionally quit matches. Personally I'm content with where it is now. I could come up with some minor tweaks for myself, but it isn't really relevant to the larger scope of why the community is doing this.

Honestly it wouldn't be a huge deal in MAG, since MAG doesn't have many of the problems associated with games that use matchmaking. But while MAG is more or less fine, I would not want to see it in pretty much any other shooter, so I worry about the example a penalty would set.

surefire1982 said:
as in your character has been deleted by Zipper?
I have no idea. I put in MAG today and downloaded some patch. When the game finally pops up I have only the option to create a new character. Can't say this is making me want to keep the game.

uraldix

Thanks!

Haven't played BC2 so I really can't compare but in MAG the squad has to work together otherwise you get beat pretty handily.

Currently there is no transfer of territory, each faction has a defend map for each mode that is split into quadrants. Your squad will be tasked with either defending or attacking a quandrant. There is a Shadow War where depending on how your faction is doing in the various modes you can earn "contracts" that affect the amount of XP you get from matches. The Shadow War is reset every so often (not sure when).

patsu

krioto said:
I never quit - and I'm in Raven - more reasons to quit than any others!

I even love the Domination rollovers that the other pmcs perform on the Raven defence map, but it's just so manic and cool to be playing against so many others.

I always go down with the ship.

You and me.

I just got my AM50 sniper rifle. Once I get the adjustable scope (1 more skill point !), I will join GAF. Am already in the clan but busy levelling up in Sabotage.

Have played very few Acquisition and Domination games.

uraldix

PedroLumpy said:
'You' was a bad choice of words, didn't really mean it personally.

Yeah, me either. Now that I reread my post I used it poorly as well :)

PedroLumpy said:
True, but since I feel that everytime I quit out I do so for legitimate reasons, or reasons beyond my control.

That is where the problem lies. There is no way to distinguish who is leaving for good reasons and who is not. Just figuring out what a is a good reason could be debated for days. I am OCD when it comes to quitting so I am a bad one to be in the debate (as if you hadn't figured that out :D )

PedroLumpy said:
Good question! Exactly what Zipper should be (and I imagine is) considering.

I really wish they would shed some light on what they are thinking! May clear up some of the issues and perceptions.

sk3tch

Just patched and played a quick game of Sabotage...all is well. Played just the same as last night. I love the new distance meter for downed teammates!

Lince

Banned
this level 52 guy was SL and never FRAGO'd anything, I sent him a message "FRAGO Bunker or AA" as to what he replied "frag what nigger?" :lol
then these other idiots kept driving the APCs to some pump stations that were not ready to capture yet, so I spent my time destroying them to drive them back to the pump stations we were swarming... but the best moment was telling the Platoon Leader to send a precision airstrike on a bunker when we took the AA down, he was level 39 and remained silent, never used his abilities, and of course the quitters are more rampant than ever, every Domination game is a 120 SVER/Raven vs 70 Valor affair. Good stuff... never had these issues playing with SVER, seriously this isn't a map imbalance issue or "hey they can defuse C4 from inside the building", it's just a matter of fucking stupidity.

thaOwner

Lince said:
this level 52 guy was SL and never FRAGO'd anything, I sent him a message "FRAGO Bunker or AA" as to what he replied "frag what nigger?" :lol
QUOTE]
:D

Quick question, once you get to L60 you can respec at will right ?

2 little annoyances (still present after the patch):

- the special 800c armors from the PAL CE are still not available for me :(

- despite having several Longshot ribbons (and the medal), the stats show 0 kills over 120m

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Sometimes the stats page has some lag and doesn't load..just exit and retry.

theBishop

Banned
Anyone else having problems with the patch? Uncle_Andy is stuck at 95%. I told him to delete the game data and try again, but it stuck a second time.

_bluemoon

No troubles here in Australia land.

Finally got around to requesting an invite to ravengaf last night. Looking forward to playing with some competant folks for once!

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Lince said:
I've not seen you playing MAG in ages, I'll be switching over to Raven soon... don't you have the game anymore?
I do, but I'm using my old PSN ID these days. That's the reason why you don't see me online much. Not playing much though, shouldn't have spent months playing these maps in the beta. I'd start playing on Fox once Dan gets the game so we can level up together. Hopefully we'd have more maps by then! Would love to play with you then. :D

Lince

Banned
thaOwner said:
Quick question, once you get to L60 you can respec at will right ?

as long as you have the re-spec points needed...

and gg's tonight Valor GAF, hope you noticed how a half-empty platoon will lead us to defeat every time no matter how good we play, specially on SVER maps, damn quitters.

Inanna said:
Hopefully we'd have more maps by then! Would love to play with you then

nice, what's your fav. setup? are you sniping your way through MAG as you did with KZ2?

Lince said:
and gg's tonight Valor GAF, hope you noticed how a half-empty platoon will lead us to defeat every time no matter how good we play, specially on SVER maps, damn quitters.

Great gaming session with you and the group tonite, Lince. Man i appreciate all the res i got that time. lol. Def playing with mics was well worth it. Sorry couldnt game longer, had to work on a proj. I just gotta learn to not rush out there. lol.

darkwing

Server patch incoming

http://blog.mag.com/blog/2010/02/server-patch-february-18-2010/

We will be pushing a server patch during our regular maintenance window at1am Pacific/ 4am Eastern/ 9 am GMT.

Players who are already in-game during this window will receive a message warning them of a server restart. Players not already signed-on when these notices go out will not be able to access the server until the patch upgrade has been completed.

Note: You will not have to download anything additional for this patch, since it is a server-side patch. Additionally, this will not affect the Shadow War or your characters.

Top Bottom