• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

GodofWine

uraldix said:
The 5-9pm EST time slot is kinda lonely.

Yea...I have no idea when RavenGaf is on, at most I get 4-6 others, and only once got into a group with them. Im a 10pm-12am EST kinda guy, thought that would be high times for most people.

Would be epic if there was a way to organize Gaf vs Gaf war.

Lince

Banned
GodofWine said:

we already had one... the "bunkergate" incident, didn't end well though. I don't think we have enough players for a GAF vs GAF game anymore, we should just merge every GAF clan into one (I don't care which faction) and wait for some patch/DLC that would allow groups of multiple squads in matchmaking.

Noshino said:
The problem in that map isn't the right side, its the left side, you can't get that APC out there.

Now, we have taken that side before, but it requires more teamwork. Usually we would send 2 squads through the west side (sometimes using the ships as a cover), then move under the docks and wait there, then we would send the other 2 to attack the middle bunkers, once we had enemy concentrate on those 2, it was easier to take down the left bunker.

The problem is that they can get their APCs right there (by the first bunker from the left), which at times works as an extra bunker

Yeah I have been pinned down by their APCs there numerous times. The good thing though is if we have the right side completely controlled(Which we do). We can still get both APCs through that one gate.

If I get put on a team on the left side I don't even bother with the bunkers:

rk0z10.jpg

First Squad | Red Line
I use my stealth rollout with my suppressor(Though I try to not shoot at all) and run left side around the ship and bunker and set charges on everything. Once I have destroyed the gate and AAA the guys parachute in. I get everyone to land on the shipping containers and shoot toward the bunkers. SVER becomes so consumed with repairing the gate and AAA that they are just fodder for our bullets at which point the second squad can easily take out their bunkers.

uraldix

GodofWine said:
Yea...I have no idea when RavenGaf is on, at most I get 4-6 others, and only once got into a group with them. Im a 10pm-12am EST kinda guy, thought that would be high times for most people.

I get up at 4am EST but would sacrifice sleep to be part of that war. That would be fun.

andycapps

GodofWine said:

Well your best bet is to join any game that it looks like the majority of the online GAF users are in. Once that game's over, everyone can form a group and hopefully get a full squad. Prime time for Raven GAF (for USA anyway) seems to be after 10 PM EST and then continues on for quite a few hours.

question. what type of armor do you mainly roll with?

right now i using the LMG for Valor and debating whether I should put on heavier armor since i die so fast with the default 3 loadout lol.

TheFallen

duracell017 said:
question. what type of armor do you mainly roll with?

right now i using the LMG for Valor and debating whether I should put on heavier armor since i die so fast with the default 3 loadout lol.
Medium armor always. Never enough space for Heavy. Only time I used anything else was on SVER if I had 200 to spare for the preorder armor (which was heavy - a nice bug).

Invest in the increased health, pretty much the equivalent of heavy armor. You'll want the space for a rocket launcher (when attacking) or other tools to help your squad.

TheFallen said:
Medium armor always. Never enough space for Heavy. Only time I used anything else was on SVER if I had 200 to spare for the preorder armor (which was heavy - a nice bug).

Invest in the increased health, pretty much the equivalent of heavy armor. You'll want the space for a rocket launcher (when attacking) or other tools to help your squad.

hmm icic.

okay. will go down that path. thanks.

DidntKnowJack said:
I'm a bit hesitant to even post this, because it's just so unbelievable, and I hope it doesn't completely detour this thread, but...

IGN editors playing MAG

WTF

btw. what about the auto-tk which was introduced during the last beta phase, seems to kick in like... never? I was just knifed by some asshole from another squads 3 times which he did as well to other teammates and I couldn't do anything about it as you can only vote against your own squad.
Actually I kinda hate anyway how you can only see who was in your and the enemy team after a round.

TheFallen said:
Increased health + explosive damage resistance has saved me from so many grenade deaths.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
TelemachusD said:
Increased health + explosive damage resistance has saved me from so many grenade deaths.
I didnt like explosive damage resistance. I still died alot. Trying Chem Resistance now since alot of times people use chem grenades.

TheFallen

I see you've switched to Raven, Lince. Got tired of playing Valor? :lol Must've been quite frustrated, saw you left mid-match.

Corran Horn said:
I didnt like explosive damage resistance. I still died alot. Trying Chem Resistance now since alot of times people use chem grenades.
You should really get both + increased health.

sk3tch

OK, thinking of going down the close combat tree. I did heavy originally and I'm currently doing assault.

Do you guys like the SMG or is it worthless? I would max it out...definitely use suppressor. Then use shotty when I'm base defending (typically I am a support/medic player). Also, in the close quarters tree, how is the PDW gun?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
TheFallen said:
I see you've switched to Raven, Lince. Got tired of playing Valor? :lol Must've been quite frustrated, saw you left mid-match.

You should really get both + increased health.
I plan to eventually. Just respecing around to get certain ribbons/medals atm so kinda going wild with stuff

sk3tch said:
OK, thinking of going down the close combat tree. I did heavy originally and I'm currently doing assault.

Do you guys like the SMG or is it worthless? I would max it out...definitely use suppressor. Then use shotty when I'm base defending (typically I am a support/medic player). Also, in the close quarters tree, how is the PDW gun?

It's not very good, but it is cheap. Really the only thing I was dissapointed by when using it was that the hip fire wasn't really any better the using a LMG.

One thing I did notice while using it though.... While using a LMG I wouldn't always pick up the headshot ribbon when I got the Grim Reaper&LMG ribbon. While using the SMG I would NEVER get the Grim Reaper/SMG ribbon without picking up the headshot ribbon as well.

FYI I was using the SVER SMG.

uraldix

sk3tch said:

I liked the SVER SMG but you run out of ammo fast. I did the silencer with reflex and had the motion detector + jammer. Good for getting behind lines.

_bluemoon

SMG is great for support. Very cheap on the loadout points. You can roll with a suppressor and a sight, with plenty of points leftover for a med kit, repair kit, grenades etc.

Grouped up for one Raven GAF domination match earlier. We defended against SVER but lost with under a minute remaining. I was surprised they pulled off the win since they didn't control any of the letters for long periods of time. Great match though.

I think keeping the AA up along with at least one of the bunkers near it was a major plus.

sk3tch

PedroLumpy said:
It's not very good, but it is cheap. Really the only thing I was dissapointed by when using it was that the hip fire wasn't really any better the using a LMG.

One thing I did notice while using it though.... While using a LMG I wouldn't always pick up the headshot ribbon when I got the Grim Reaper&LMG ribbon. While using the SMG I would NEVER get the Grim Reaper/SMG ribbon without picking up the headshot ribbon as well.

FYI I was using the SVER SMG.

uraldix said:
I liked the SVER SMG but you run out of ammo fast. I did the silencer with reflex and had the motion detector + jammer. Good for getting behind lines.

_bluemoon said:
SMG is great for support. Very cheap on the loadout points. You can roll with a suppressor and a sight, with plenty of points leftover for a med kit, repair kit, grenades etc.

Thanks guys! I will give it a try. I like the sound of "cheap" :lol - and I have always wanted to try more of the electronics (have been using and loving the acoustic locator). I'm S.V.E.R. now so it sounds like your experiences should be pretty spot on to what I can expect.

test_account

XP-39C²
Is it possible to cancel the sensor blocking (or what it is called) that blocks the ability of a squad leader (and maybe a platoon leader as well) to use airstrikes, mortar battery, UAV etc.? If yes, how do you you do it? :)

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Last match with SVER, domination, and it was absolutely bitter sweet.

Was squad leader, got signal jammed from the start. These two guys in some clan start yelling for a frago and then begin to spam kicks to vote me out throughout the entire game. Meanwhile, I managed to take out 3 bunkers by myself while the rest of my team refused to walk further than 3 feet from the APC.

We won in 8 minutes and it was absolutely a miracle...as well as the best I've ever played, all the while I continue to get messages letting me know a vote has been started to kick me.

Lince

Banned
TheFallen said:

no, as I tried to tell you I re-spec'd to get the sniper/shotgun/smg ribbons before switching over to Raven, I'm of no use to the clan now since I'm basically camping with the sniper rifle or going crazy with the (awful) shotgun or SMG, which makes you realize how overpowered and flawless the LMG really is. When you guys switch to Raven I'll be there too, but...

edit: I'm tired of the lag and framerate issues on Domination, the other modes don't interest me, if this isn't fixed soon I see myself quitting MAG for good, I have the best VDSL2+ in my area (50 MB download, 10 MB upload, fast path, 5ms ping in Spanish CS servers, 12ms ping playing Warhawk UK servers) yet MAG with the dedicated servers and stuff has one or two seconds delay when playing Domination, it's so frustrating.

patsu

Just had a Raven game with GAF. It's my third time playing Domination maps. I have no idea what the hell was going on. :lol

Had a lot of fun. Thanks for inviting me guys.

Sniper rifle s*ck in Acquisition. Playing a mixed MG and Sniper (AM50) game in Domination is awesome ! ^_^

theBishop

Banned
patsu said:
Just had a Raven game with GAF. It's my third time playing Domination maps. I have no idea what the hell was going on. :lol

Had a lot of fun. Thanks for inviting me guys.

Sniper rifle s*ck in Acquisition. Playing a mixed MG and Sniper (AM50) game in Domination is awesome ! ^_^

That was a strange game. We were all in the zone. Mostly quiet on the headsets. The other team was putting up a decent fight, but we kept stuffing them back.

patsu

theBishop said:
That was a strange game. We were all in the zone. Mostly quiet on the headsets. The other team was putting up a decent fight, but we kept stuffing them back.

People in the Domination maps don't seem to care or know how to react to sniper. May be they are too lazy to walk all the way to get me.

On the Sabotage maps where I usually play, they'd come look for my *ss.

J-Rzez

Das, you guys really need to buff the xp gained from sniping some how. Right now, i'm going 30-0 for example in games and I'm getting a whopping 200-250pts. That's with picking ppl off at frago's. It really-really sucks. :(

jorma

is now taking requests
J-Rzez said:
Das, you guys really need to buff the xp gained from sniping some how. Right now, i'm going 30-0 for example in games and I'm getting a whopping 200-250pts. That's with picking ppl off at frago's. It really-really sucks. :(

Why would 0 deaths matter when it comes to XP given?

30 kills at fragos would be 300 points, no? Same as anyone with 30 kills at fragos would get. The way i see it you are trading your XP gains for a better KDR.

krioto

I think I miss out on quite a few FRAGO points as I take out the enemy before they get there.

Maybe a small boost to the xp received for an over 120m kill would work (say 7 or 8 points instead of the standard 5)?

Also, I think that the FRAGO area around an objective should be expanded an extra 4-5 metres around the target.

J-Rzez

Well yeah, my example is of a mix, as you're picking off people, stopping them from even getting close enough to do any damage. It's not worth letting them get into close ranges where if you miss they may do their deed. The thing is, you miss out on the frago's from planting, defusing, rez's as well. You're sacrificing a huge amount of points to take that role for your team.

I suggested a while ago that kills at that range should maybe net 2-3 extra xp, I think that's the route to go.

krioto

J-Rzez said:
Well yeah, my example is of a mix, as you're picking off people, stopping them from even getting close enough to do any damage. It's not worth letting them get into close ranges where if you miss they may do their deed. The thing is, you miss out on the frago's from planting, defusing, rez's as well. You're sacrificing a huge amount of points to take that role for your team.

I suggested a while ago that kills at that range should maybe net 2-3 extra xp, I think that's the route to go.

Yeah, I agree.

The sniper role is a thankless task, but so satisfying to hold a choke point or force the enemy to find an alternate route, and then being there waiting for them to come through.

jorma

is now taking requests
J-Rzez said:

yeah i figure that would work.. they seem to be having problems with the 120m stats though

roxya

Lince said:
no, as I tried to tell you I re-spec'd to get the sniper/shotgun/smg ribbons before switching over to Raven, I'm of no use to the clan now since I'm basically camping with the sniper rifle or going crazy with the (awful) shotgun or SMG, which makes you realize how overpowered and flawless the LMG really is. When you guys switch to Raven I'll be there too, but...

You really think the shotgun is awful? Or you mean Valor's one?

I just went from LMG to shotgun (Raven) and I've never felt this strong or helpful before.

uraldix

Lince said:

You would still be of more use than the randoms I have been playing with. They were horrible last night. I ended up rage quitting after 3 games. I actually got yelled at in a Sab match because I was trying to take the letters instead of sitting back and upping my XP. Chalk up another major loss for the record books.

J-Rzez said:

The only problem with this is that it means even more snipers running around. I wish there was a way to reward only the good ones because most people really suck at it.

Billen

Banned
I'd really like some comments on the shotgun aswell, since I am saving up for it. All I have heard is Wes commenting on how he became the Kratos of MAG (my words, not his) when he picked one up.

GodofWine

theBishop said:
Is RavenGAF on right now? I could get in if there's a group. Need to mix a martini though.

Damnit..you guys were just grouping up last night right when I HAD to go to sleep...got two group invites that I had to decline back to back...skigazzi (me) was sad :(

In retrospect, I should have played, cause all that happened in the next 6 hours was my daughter woke up at 3am...and then once that was handled, my cat threw up on the bed at 4am :lol

Lince

Banned
roxya said:
You really think the shotgun is awful? Or you mean Valor's one?

I just went from LMG to shotgun (Raven) and I've never felt this strong or helpful before.

I'm shooting people in the face with the Valor shotgun at point blank and it's random whether I'm getting a kill or they run away like nothing happened and I need 1-2 extra shots to take them down, given the very limited range of this weapon it should be more accurate/powerful at close range, lag doesn't help anyway, actually I think lag is the problem with this weapon, should be fine playing "lag-less" Sabotage.

Also I got a lot of 120m+ kills with the sniper but I didn't get a ribbon (and they don't show on the stats), I guess you can't do it if you're camping around your own spawn point?

Billen

Banned
I have had problems similar to what you are describing with the shotgun, but for me it has been the knife. Getting shot behind walls and so on is quite usual aswell.

uraldix

Lince said:
I'm shooting people in the face with the Valor shotgun at point blank and it's random whether I'm getting a kill or they run away like nothing happened and I need 1-2 extra shots to take them down, giving the very limited range of this weapon it should be more accurate/powerful at close range, lag doesn't help anyway, actually I think lag is the problem with this weapon, should be fine playing "lag-less" Sabotage.

I had the same problems with the SVER one even in games where I didn't seem to have much lag. I had games where I was rolling with the SMG and when I switched to the shotty (typically when the letters opened), I couldn't kill anything. I'll admit that I didn't use it much before I gave up on it so maybe it improves with time.

sk3tch

I echo the recent shotgun comments. I re-spec'd to close-combat/SMG (per my post a few back) and I while I was pleasantly surprised by the Vipera SMG (it works just as well as the top tier assault rifle for me and costs less) - the shotgun was kind of a mess for me. I'm a bit of a "spaz" shooter so that is part of it...but as Lince mentioned - one shot to the face does not equal insta-death every time and that is kind of f'd.

In other news...loving the electronics. Wish I could find some way to use motion sensor AND sensor jammer at the same time (need my med kit).

uraldix

sk3tch said:
In other news...loving the electronics. Wish I could find some way to use motion sensor AND sensor jammer at the same time (need my med kit).

This is the main loadout that used with SMG:

SMG w/suppressor and reflex
Pistol w/ suppressor
Light Armor
Medkit
Motion Sensor
Sensor Jammer

I had the 120 health, explosives/chem resistance also. Even with the light armor, I had some of my best games with this loadout. I definately had fun with it. It comes in at exactly 3400c.

I recently moved to the SMG tree...and man, that thing is a beast with improved stability, suppressor and quick reload...plus it's cheap points wise, so i can usually carry a sensor jammer and grenades or mines.

sk3tch

uraldix said:
This is the main loadout that used with SMG:

SMG w/suppressor and reflex
Pistol w/ suppressor
Light Armor
Medkit
Motion Sensor
Sensor Jammer

I had the 120 health, explosives/chem resistance also. Even with the light armor, I had some of my best games with this loadout. I definately had fun with it. It comes in at exactly 3400c.

Thanks! I was afraid to dip down on my armor. I also only have chem resistance now. Will save up.

*Runs off to go put on pyjamas and fight*

GodofWine

surefire1982 said:
I recently moved to the SMG tree...and man, that thing is a beast with improved stability, suppressor and quick reload...plus it's cheap points wise, so i can usually carry a sensor jammer and grenades or mines.

I keep getting killed by the SMG...I might go that route when I respec.

Also, does anyone know how to equip the damn bipod on the AR (raven)?? I am working my way up the AR skills, plan on skipping to the T3 AR as fast as I can, which meant to spend 2 points on the bipod, but I cannot equip it on the T1 AR...is this right, or am I stupid?

sk3tch

GodofWine said:
I keep getting killed by the SMG...I might go that route when I respec.

Also, does anyone know how to equip the damn bipod on the AR (raven)?? I am working my way up the AR skills, plan on skipping to the T3 AR as fast as I can, which meant to spend 2 points on the bipod, but I cannot equip it on the T1 AR...is this right, or am I stupid?

It's under your loadout...use it instead of the foregrip - underbarrel: http://www.maggametools.com/loadouts.

When I re-spec'd AR I got the bipod instead of the tier 2 AR because it was a point less (and even though I use the foregrip and not the bipod) - since I was going straight to the battle rifle.

Shotguns are powerful, but it's the weapon that makes lag the most apparent. Shoot someone with one shot point black and having them die more than half a second later is really noticeable.

GodofWine

sk3tch said:
It's under your loadout...use it instead of the foregrip - underbarrel: http://www.maggametools.com/loadouts.

When I re-spec'd AR I got the bipod instead of the tier 2 AR because it was a point less (and even though I use the foregrip and not the bipod) - since I was going straight to the battle rifle.

I swear I did that....I'll try taking off the foregrip, saving, then attaching bipod....though the bipod is probably less useful, especially on the T1 AR.

Top Bottom