• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Im on the fence about quiting..

It was fun at the start but now the community seems to have all just decided to use the LMG.

I kind of expected MAG to have a sense of realism, but I think its almost as arcadey feeling as MW2 and the likes.

Video's Like this are showing me what the community has become and what I will most likely will expect in the next few months as the community become Vets.

http://www.youtube.com/user/pureownagelive#p/a/u/2/4H5mtn0HGfQ

Is this Zippers form of Commando lol
http://www.youtube.com/user/pureownagelive#p/a/u/1/xtiCpRhnCT0

I dont know Im just turned off to the game if its gonna be guys hip-firing LMG's for 8 seconds straight while also zipping around slashing away at people.
Not the gunplay/Infantry type play I was hoping for sadly..

The thing about FRAGO exp is that generally if you're doing well, you're killing people well before they get to the objective and therefore get no points. It's only when your team is struggling and getting pushed back to the objective that you start getting the points. But defending from the objective is a recipe for disaster as eventually when they break through it's over, while if they break the frontlines, you can still recover before they take the objective.

Attacking is a little different, but still you end up breaking through most of the defenses well away from the objective, typically once you start fighting around the objective you're already in the process of rolling them and you quickly take/blowup whatever is the objective is.

Most of my dominating performances result in not making Platoon MVP. I rack up like 70 kills, but they're all from killing people well before they touch the objective. But the other squad is struggling to hold their objective so they end up getting a bunch of kills/revives around the objective and double my EXP despite having a third of my kills and three times the deaths.

Essentially in the games I feel like I'm doing my best and helping out the most, I get less EXP then when I feel that the team and I are struggling.

Sidenote, I saw th4henry(?) in a Sabotage round last night. Too bad you didn't stay, Valor actually managed to take C. I managed over 60 kills in that match and still lost.

sk3tch

GodofWine said:
I swear I did that....I'll try taking off the foregrip, saving, then attaching bipod....though the bipod is probably less useful, especially on the T1 AR.

Yeah...I tried the bipod once (with a sniper rifle I stole off of someone's body) and it was real cool but only useful if a) you're camping a spot and can remain there or b) (really the same thing) you have a choke point you can post up at and shoot and shoot the enemy coming in. So I just foregrip everything. To each their own though...I'm not exactly an offensive powerhouse.

sk3tch

Pkm said:
Video's Like this are showing me what the community has become and what I will most likely will expect in the next few months as the community become Vets.

I dont know Im just turned off to the game if its gonna be guys hip-firing LMG's for 8 seconds straight while also zipping around slashing away at people.

I'm not sure how much you've played...but watching those videos I can easily see why he is having the success he is having. It is called skill and it is called strategy. Notice in the first video he is "owning" people in well-known choke points. Enemies stream in, you just wait (he is defending the entire game).

In the second video, with that electronics package he goes crazy in that obscured area with the jungle foliage. Makes sense. I have personally done real well there with NO electronics.

I personally don't see those videos as indicative of a problem type of gamer or a jackass...it's just your good to great gamer showing off. And there's such a thing as editing, too...he didn't die once in the videos although I am sure he was picked off at some point (if not multiple points).

Inanna said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tG2DCc3NSc

Spawn camping? How is that possible? Don't you get a message about mines when you get close to the enemy spawns? That guy is literally ON Raven's B spawn point.

Funny thing is, he would do even better if he had the suppressor (he would NEVER appear on radar without the gunfire).

Boogat

Zipper never intended anyone to get into any spawn areas (even on sabotage) so they are right now trying to find out how people are getting in and work on the fixes. There's a thread over at the MAG forums started by a dev talking about this.

patsu

Which one is the LMG ? What is the tier-1 MG called ? That's the one I use, and I usually have a good run.

But I go sniper just to cover an empty role. Am not a great sharp shooter, but when it rolls, it's amazing.

If it's sniper vs *MG at close-mid range, the MG usually win if the sniper missed the first shot. Now that I got the variable scope, I usually stay far away so the MG won't hit me (Not accurate enough).

Noshino

Inanna said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tG2DCc3NSc

Spawn camping? How is that possible? Don't you get a message about mines when you get close to the enemy spawns? That guy is literally ON Raven's B spawn point.

Well, sorry but those guys just flat out suck, it took about a dozen to kill just one guy, wth is that. They should have been able to locate him from the respawning screen

And nah, he isn't "on" the spawn point, although I have seen people doing so, you first get one guy lying on the ground, then another on top of him that is crouching, and then a third one jumps on top.... and that's how you get on raven's spawn point.

We have also done the same against SVER's Sabotage, usually you will find a group of three trying to access it from the north west corner :lol

I haven't tried it on Valor's Sabo map, but it should be doable

roxya

Lince said:
I'm shooting people in the face with the Valor shotgun at point blank and it's random whether I'm getting a kill or they run away like nothing happened and I need 1-2 extra shots to take them down, given the very limited range of this weapon it should be more accurate/powerful at close range, lag doesn't help anyway, actually I think lag is the problem with this weapon, should be fine playing "lag-less" Sabotage.

I wonder if Raven has a better shotgun. I get more 1 shot kills than anything else, a fair few 2 shots, but can't remember it taking 3.

We only have a capacity of 5 rounds, so there must be an advantage elsewhere?

I let a friend borrow it for awhile. Next 5 Tuesdays have a game release I want and this game just isn't doing it for me right now. Hopefully by the dog days of summer this game will be up and running.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Noshino said:
Well, sorry but those guys just flat out suck, it took about a dozen to kill just one guy, wth is that. They should have been able to locate him from the respawning screen

And nah, he isn't "on" the spawn point, although I have seen people doing so, you first get one guy lying on the ground, then another on top of him that is crouching, and then a third one jumps on top....
That's why I said *iterally*. At one point he was right on the opening thing where you jump out from after re-spawning. That's what I meant by literally ON the spawn point. :p

No denying that those guys did suck real bad!!

Trevelyan

Banned
Alright, been away from my PS3 for a week now on a vacation. I have a question: Is it possible to equip one of the 2 SMGs as a secondary weapon? I'm on the verge of respeccing and this popped into my mind. Thanks in advance.

uraldix

Trevelyan said:
Alright, been away from my PS3 for a week now on a vacation. I have a question: Is it possible to equip one of the 2 SMGs as a secondary weapon? I'm on the verge of respeccing and this popped into my mind. Thanks in advance.

Not the SMG but you can get a machine pistol as a secondary. I haven't used the Machine Pistol so I have no idea if it is any good.

Violater

uraldix said:
Not the SMG but you can get a machine pistol as a secondary. I haven't used the Machine Pistol so I have no idea if it is any good.

Its good depending on what you are comparing it to.
In a tight situation it makes for a quick weapon swap then headshot before you duck and cover to switch back and reload your main weapon.

How useful are the knife skills? (i.e. extended reach, swipe speed)...

i'm trying to figure out where to put my next few points into...(chemical resist? motion sensor? knife skills?)

Pkm said:
Im on the fence about quiting..

It was fun at the start but now the community seems to have all just decided to use the LMG.

I kind of expected MAG to have a sense of realism, but I think its almost as arcadey feeling as MW2 and the likes.

Agreed, they should have slowed the player's movement and made hip firing damn near impossible with the LMG equipped. The way it is right now renders the assault rifles useless.

celpacius

FlyinJ said:
The motion sensor is absolutely amazing. I wish I could stick it on every kit I have.

as much as i love that thing, it feels totally cheating.

but then i remember how much it cost to get that (5 skill points) and how much CC needed to equip it. then i dont feel as bad.

but imo, equipping that makes you more of a lone wolf type character which is what this game is not about

celpacius said:

but then i remember how much it cost to get that (5 skill points) and how much CC needed to equip it. then i dont feel as bad.

but imo, equipping that makes you more of a lone wolf type character which is what this game is not about

But the motion sensor also relays the position of enemies to your squad right (i.e. enemies appear on your squad's minimap as well)...which in that case, makes you the ultimate scout/cqc guy

theBishop

Banned
uraldix said:

It's definitely more effective than the pistol. The clip is too damn small to use as a primary weapon. I refuse to believe that people are out there getting 30 kills with that thing in one round (for the ribbon/trophy).

theBishop

Banned
celpacius said:

Anyone nearby on your team also gets the benefit of your motion sensor.

The weight of the thing means you can't pack as much heat or armor. So if you're going to carry it, it behooves you to stick with a group.

GodofWine

polyh3dron said:
Agreed, they should have slowed the player's movement and made hip firing damn near impossible with the LMG equipped. The way it is right now renders the assault rifles useless.

....Im still thinking the T3 AR is going to be superior to any LMG..and you can hip fire anything, my evidence:
288912.jpg

Malvolio

polyh3dron said:

I agree 100%. It was the same way with the original SOCOM. Zipper finally nerfed their accuracy when on the move, which would be a good move here IMO. Right now its too easy to just spray and pray and rely on the fact that you've got a near endless ammo clip. The reload speed is absurd as well. It seems to me that a talented reload AR and a talented reload LMG are pretty close to the same speed. That is a mistake when one clip is over 3x larger than the other. I really want to stick with the AR, but it's getting tougher everyday.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
GodofWine said:
....Im still thinking the T3 AR is going to be superior to any LMG..and you can hip fire anything, my evidence:
http://www.pearlanddean.com/mediaLibrary/images/english/288912.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I hate R553.

GodofWine

Can 'friends of GAF' get in a Gaf clan?? I got two buddies (real life friends) who just bought it, and I'd hate to ignore group invites from my GAF clan cause Im playing with them. Both have mics, one of the isn't afraid to use it :)

Inanna said:
I hate R553.

Why? It looks like the way to go 'on paper'....so far someone has said "i hate 'every weapon'"...thank god for respec.

uraldix

surefire1982 said:
How useful are the knife skills? (i.e. extended reach, swipe speed)...

i'm trying to figure out where to put my next few points into...(chemical resist? motion sensor? knife skills?)

I didn't find the knife skills all that useful, they really didn't even seem to make a difference. Maybe if you are a person that tries to knife all the time it would be beneficial.

I liked the chemical resist (could run into the fog and capture/recapture a point before dying) and motion sensor.

I miss being a high level and having the cool loadouts

GodofWine said:
Can 'friends of GAF' get in a Gaf clan?? I got two buddies (real life friends) who just bought it, and I'd hate to ignore group invites from my GAF clan cause Im playing with them. Both have mics, one of the isn't afraid to use it :)

There are some non-GAF people in the clans. My brother is one of them.

Lince

Banned
FFObsessed said:
Downloading the patch and then I'm gonna try and grind my way to level 60.

edit: ohh fuck, I'm only level 39 urghhhhh

don't give up, we still have to play as Raven ! :lol

MrPliskin

Banned
I think the FRAGO bonus needs to be extended into "zones".

i.e. further away from the main FRAGO will still net you points, but not as many points as them getting into the FRAGO point.

Think of it like a dart board, basically rings of different values with the bullseye being the frago point. It doesn't make sense to just "defend the frago" because that means they're already too close and you're losing the damn objective. I think THAT needs to be fixed so people don't just camp out around the FRAGO and them farm kills / revives for points.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
So many times close to 30 side-arm kills then match ends early. FUccccccckkkkkk. Lower this to 20 zipper!

edit
So I played a defending match with Motion Sensor/Sensor Jammer/Stealth/Suppressored KP7 Sidearm/Knife swipe/reach/Sprint recovery/endurance

God damn So easy. Almost felt like MW2 Commando class but I could sneak around to kill people. The only bad part about this combo is not much XP. I got 45~kills and 10 deaths but only like 500xp since barely any of the kills were Frago. Thinking of retrying with Assualt Rifle with Suppressor maybe soon.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
FFObsessed said:
14 levels til this Valor hell is over. I'll decide whether to switch to Raven or just quit then.

I feel the same. When I was nearing the end of Sver lvl 60 I was thinking 'Man, I'm so going to go for all 3 Gold trophies but now even only level 19 in Valor, I don't know if I can be bothered.

Maybe it was just too much too soon and I'm feeling burnt out.

methane47

Hmmmm just jumped into a game of a fellow gaffer (Valor - Sab) 5 minutes left in the game... and it was just sad :(

I was getting Sniped AS I SPAWNED!! Maybe 4 times he got me!! from some guy chilling on the big rock to the right of Valor Spawn ... I could NOT believe that crap.. so i took it upon myself to hunt him down.. I snuck up all the way behind the spawn it was IMPOSSIBLE he saw me.. but i guess he had motion sensor.. because as soon as I rounded the corner (which was supposed to be BEHIND him ... i saw him chilling with the barrel staring straight at me .... boom... i'm dead..

I then try to help take A... that was also a lost cause.. :(

I got killed by a couple gaffers too :(

Playing against a squad of Gaffers is not fun lol

Corran Horn

Feels good to do something positive in domination that helped the platoon. Sneaked by everyone, repaired our bunker and kept that mostly up while repairing AA/Other bunks from time to time with rest of GAF squad and keeping SVER from winning :D

Took a video of that....slowly uploading :(

KZObsessed

Baah! Got f'n dc/d right at the end there so I'm done for the night. Good effort on SVER Domination. Have no idea why at the beginning we moved towards the left Bunker as an 8 man squad but only 2 of us got there because the rest decided to stay and fire rockets and shit from the spawn. Push out of the spawn before taking down the turret with rockets, you're just asking to be spawn camped if you stay back there. Which happened, albeit briefly.

Corran Horn

PedroLumpy said:
Yeah grinding up weapons, armor, health, gear, attachments and whatever else is fucking retarded. Worst trend in shooters ever.
At least the first 40-45 levels seemed to go by quickly. Felt much better than MW2 leveling.

The distance meter for downed teammates is so awesome. It helps me judge whether or not I should go help someone or not. Also helps to figure out if the person that is downed is at A or B, due to the distance. :)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
FFObsessed said:
Baah! Got f'n dc/d right at the end there so I'm done for the night. Good effort on SVER Domination. Have no idea why at the beginning we moved towards the left Bunker as an 8 man squad but only 2 of us got there because the rest decided to stay and fire rockets and shit from the spawn. Push out of the spawn before taking down the turret with rockets, you're just asking to be spawn camped if you stay back there. Which happened, albeit briefly.

I get my face melted if I try to fire a rocket closer up - too many angles to shoot me. From before you drop off the ledge, you can get 3 rockets on the turret without much risk. I killed the turret about 3 or 4 times from that very spot that game.

Anyways, when (if) I hit 60 with Valor, there is NO FUCKING WAY I'm doing it again with Raven. No way. If a new map pack isn't on the horizon, I'll probably just quit. Too many good games in March to keep playing Mag, unfortunately. Hey, I got about 100 hours out of it, so I can't complain too much.

Top Bottom