• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Wichu

Just noticed the M14 rules changes mean my standard deck now has a neat infinite combo.

Ascended Lawmage (or any other evasive creature, such as Invisible Stalker)
Stolen Identity, ciphering onto Ascended Lawmage
Aurelia, the Warleader

Attack with Lawmage and Aurelia
Trigger cipher, copying Aurelia
Put old Aurelia into graveyard
New Aurelia is a new object, so her ability can trigger again

Repeat until opponent is sufficiently dead

kirblar

Just noticed the M14 rules changes mean my standard deck now has a neat infinite combo.

Ascended Lawmage (or any other evasive creature, such as Invisible Stalker)
Stolen Identity, ciphering onto Ascended Lawmage
Aurelia, the Warleader

Attack with Lawmage and Aurelia
Trigger cipher, copying Aurelia
Put old Aurelia into graveyard
New Aurelia is a new object, so her ability can trigger again

Repeat until opponent is sufficiently dead
Sounds perfect for Commander.

bigkrev

So this is the week we are getting official MM previews on dailymtg. Do we get one tonight, or do they skip it because of Memorial day?

bigkrev

Oh, forgot to mention- I won my (Saturday) Gameday playing the Kibler G/B ooze deck that I updated for DGM (Spoilers- Putrefy is better than Sever the Bloodline).

Played 2 Naya decks (1 humans, 1 Blitz), and a RWB goodstuff deck with Restos, Reckoners, ect. (also had a virtual bye against a 10 year old child playing his first tournament ever with a really bad Dimir deck that I help improved after our match). Playmat isn't as cool as my Gatecrash champion one, but i'll still rock it for a little while

BLInVj1CQAAwT3d.jpg:large

Negator

Arrgh

It hurts watching this Star City Games stream. So much punting in the top 8, I have seen them throw at least three games away due to missed triggers and terrible play :(

kirblar

Arrgh

It hurts watching this Star City Games stream. So much punting in the top 8, I have seen them throw at least three games away due to missed triggers and terrible play :(
Yeah, Sunday Standard is something I hope dies a horrible death. Sealed/Modern are much better alternatives.

Attack on Titan has me itching to do Return of the Eldrazi something fierce right now.

bigkrev

I like that they shifted a bunch of cards from rare to uncommon to make limited better. Dredge looks like it could be a real limited deck, and a G/W token deck will be fun as well (I can't believe they are leaving Cloudgoat Ranger an uncommon though- its totally insane)

Crocodile

They've really got a drafting plan for MM. I like it. I just hope there will be enough product out there for people to draft easily. I gotta say the rare to uncommon (and any uncommon to common) downgrades are a real boon for peasant Cubes :)

This is bad news for Dragon's Maze though. That set is going to be drafted far less than any set in recent history O_O. For some reason it didn't click into my head recently that we won't be drafting it till July but until early next month. I weep for the prices for some of the mythics in that set :(

An-Det

They've really got a drafting plan for MM. I like it. I just hope there will be enough product out there for people to draft easily. I gotta say the rare to uncommon (and any uncommon to common) downgrades are a real boon for peasant Cubes :)

This is bad news for Dragon's Maze though. That set is going to be drafted far less than any set in recent history O_O. For some reason it didn't click into my head recently that we won't be drafting it till July but until early next month. I weep for the prices for some of the mythics in that set :(

If the amount of product were on the level of a real set release I would agree, but besides those specifically saving it I dont expect much product to remain unopened from the first batch after the first week. People are going to eat his release up very quickly, so while it will somewhat take away from opening DGM I dont expect it to have a huge impact.

This will definitely be true for MTGO. Even if Modern Masters is only available for, say, two weeks, that's two less weeks of drafting Dragon's Maze.

I actually really like that they stuck the Thallids in the set. Even though it's almost entirely just a way to justify Doubling Season as a rare, it's still pretty cool.

OnPoint

Here's what I'm thinking on the Dark Thesps deck.

Land (26x)
4 Dark Depths
4 Thespian's Stage
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Bayou
2 Overgrown Tomb
4 Wasteland
2 Verdant Catacombs

Creature (8x)
4 Dark Confidant
4 Vampire Hexmage

Spell (26x)
4 Explore
4 Summer Bloom
2 Expedition Map
4 Not Of This World
2 Crucible of Worlds
4 Crop Rotation
4 Ancient Stirrings
2 Life from the Loam

It's land-heavy, sure. It's possible that could be cut down some. However, it increases your chances of hitting combo pieces with Ancient Stirrings and/or getting Not of this World out of the way of your Bob triggers. I might actually want to cut down NotW because of Bob, or not have Bob in at all in favor of something else, but the rest of the deck is so cheap (highest cost is 3, most everything else is 2 or lower) that it 's almost worth the risk of doming myself for 7.

I can't help but salivate over an opening hand that includes Dark Depths, Thespian's Stage, Bayou, Ancient Tomb, Summer Bloom, Urborg, Not of this World. Obviously that's tier-1 unstoppable God-draw, barring a Stifle or Force from your opponent.

bigkrev

It was posted on Salvation that the product page for MM had been updated from "Limited" to "Conservative"

My guess is the total print run is going to be equivalent to something like Shadowmoore.

kirblar

It was posted on Salvation that the product page for MM had been updated from "Limited" to "Conservative"

My guess is the total print run is going to be equivalent to something like Shadowmoore.
I wonder if they sent it back to print. We know two waves (at least) are coming, and that they bumped it after RTR's sales.

Rosewater's cryptic "it'll be on shelves longer than people think it will" message seemed to indicate that something's up.

Is it even possible to buy Modern Masters at MSRP? Short of paying off my 'local' retailers it seems like the entire allocation is going to be gobbled up into the secondary market faster than you can say 'Ticketmaster.'

I'm not all that keen on buying a box of boosters at god knows what price and unwrap a crapton of awful thallids, a card I got sick of seeing when I was collecting Fallen Empries boosters.

I really hope that the print run ends up being large enough that the price will come down to the level of a normal set, and SCG is forced to sell to consumers at a lower price than they bought their product for second hand.

Probably just a pipe dream, granted; I just dislike their generally shady market manipulation tactics.

I wonder if they sent it back to print. We know two waves (at least) are coming, and that they bumped it after RTR's sales.

Rosewater's cryptic "it'll be on shelves longer than people think it will" message seemed to indicate that something's up.

I really do hope so, it would be nice for the increased supply of modern staples to outweigh the increased demand and interest bought on by MM.

Oh, forgot to mention- I won my (Saturday) Gameday playing the Kibler G/B ooze deck that I updated for DGM (Spoilers- Putrefy is better than Sever the Bloodline).

Played 2 Naya decks (1 humans, 1 Blitz), and a RWB goodstuff deck with Restos, Reckoners, ect. (also had a virtual bye against a 10 year old child playing his first tournament ever with a really bad Dimir deck that I help improved after our match). Playmat isn't as cool as my Gatecrash champion one, but i'll still rock it for a little while

Congrats

Finally got a game on mtgo. How do I view my graveyard? I see it at the bottom left but I can't seem to review it.

You click (maybe double-click?) the graveyard icon (the thing that looks kinda like a tombstone with the number on it indicating how many cards are in there) to make it pop out into its own little window.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Is it even possible to buy Modern Masters at MSRP? Short of paying off my 'local' retailers it seems like the entire allocation is going to be gobbled up into the secondary market faster than you can say 'Ticketmaster.'

It's probably too late now. About a month ago my co-worker and I started calling every gaming/comic book shop in reasonable distance.

We struck gold with the largest comic retailer in the area (they have 3 locations). They told us no one had pre-ordered and we were more than welcome to come in and pre-order.

Needless to say we went during our lunch break and got hooked up. The store manager even gave us a 10% discount off MSRP even though technically the product wasn't eligible. He was just amazed that someone would pre-order magic product - something he had never seen before lol.

TLDR: You might get lucky with a local shop but it's highly unlikely now that all the damn retailers are selling for way over MSRP.

Finally got a game on mtgo. How do I view my graveyard? I see it at the bottom left but I can't seem to review it.

Beta or old client?

ultron87

I really like the idea of Modern Masters limited being an "expert" limited environment kind of like how Time Spiral block apparently was, which I wasn't aroubd to play. I really hope it is available enough to make playing that a few times possible.

I really like the idea of Modern Masters limited being an "expert" limited environment kind of like how Time Spiral block apparently was, which I wasn't aroubd to play. I really hope it is available enough to make playing that a few times possible.

I just hope it's on MTGO for at least a month. I have this fear that it's only going to be there for a couple of weeks, and I'm not going to get a chance to play it very much.

I want to win a draft with Storm so bad. I will probably first pick way too many Empty the Warrens for my own good.

EDIT: And by first pick, I mean first pick after the inevitable raredraft - lol.

I'm not sure how arguing the card is easy to trigger is going to make me dislike it.
It makes me dislike it, because it makes it almost trivial. I don't care about power level as much as I do interesting design, and Blood doesn't do it for me, sorry. Having a trivial trigger condition on a conditional card advantage engine is just silly; it's either triggering pointlessly all the time, or it's abusive. Worse, the trigger condition encourages your opponent to turn passive if they want to have a hope of not triggering the card. On top of which is the ease with which it leads to repetitive board states.

I'm also not sure why you're bothering to list combos with Necromancy. Do you think I don't know those cards exist?

Weirdly enough, I'm bothering to list them because you said:
but if your argument for a card being AT ALL playable is "it's good with broken cards like Memory Jar and Wheel of Fortune" then I don't think I'll be super receptive.

Odd, isn't it. Either way, results are in, and Revenge is the YMTC, so this is over.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Thanks MTG community for voting for a card for discard decks that's WORSE than Liliana's Caress & Geth's Grimore. Good Job!

1291131680_two-thumbs-up.jpg

And this is the guy who made it! Congrats on making your super sweet casual EDH mill card, bro!

"I only play the Commander format and have twenty-six decks that my whole group shares. The decks are strong, but my playgroup (and I, for that matter), would rather have a casual game than a fiercely competitive one. We've recently started integrating Planechase and Archenemy schemes into our games."

Top Bottom