• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

It took me seven hours to organize my cards but the deed is done. Sorted by color->type->cmc->alphabetical.

Now I can get to some brewing. I want to play voralz and deadbridge chant off each other for my first trick.

So, MagicGAF, I need help. We're doing a rotisserie draft at work with the RTR block and I have first pick. I have no clue what card I should pick. For those unfamiliar, one of each card in the block is available, and you pick any still available card on your turn. I'm generally a Red/Black player, but Boros is strong and it's tempting to go Red/White with Aurelia, the Warleader just sitting there as a pick. I'm actually freaking out about this a little. Haha.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
1 Pack Rat, 39 swamps, counterdraft all the sweepers.

Haly

Can you pump him on your opponents turn, or only your own? I think I passed this guy up for a Supreme Verdict.

Can pump him on anyones turn as long as you have priority.

His first ability lets him "dodge" Supreme Judgement and pretty much any removal you can throw at him, so that was a bad pick on your part overall. He is nigh unkillable once he hits the field.It's okay though, live and learn.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I just won the best game of Magic in my entire life. Down to 1 life, almost scooped, then I remembered what one of the pros said "You don't learn by scooping."

Came back with a strategy that I wholly hadn't planned, Trostani populating Wurms all day. The opponent was friendly throughout and we talked about deck choices.

Magic doesn't get better than that.

I just won the best game of Magic in my entire life. Down to 1 life, almost scooped, then I remembered what one of the pros said "You don't learn by scooping."

Came back with a strategy that I wholly hadn't planned, Trostani populating Wurms all day. The opponent was friendly throughout and we talked about deck choices.

Back in the day, I was playing Monoblack Napster against a monogreen deck. My opponent had a Tangle Wire out and just played a second Deranged Hermit (the first one plus all of its tokens were still out). I was at like 3 life. I would only have three mana available on my turn after tapping to Tangle Wire, so when he played the second Hermit I just scooped in disgust.

I flipped over the top card of my deck. It was my one-of Perish.

From then on, I learned to never, ever scoop until I was actually dead (or the opponent was in the middle of an infinite combo, or there were clock considerations).

WanderingWind

Back in the day, I was playing Monoblack Napster against a monogreen deck. My opponent had a Tangle Wire out and just played a second Deranged Hermit (the first one plus all of its tokens were still out). I was at like 3 life. I would only have three mana available on my turn after tapping to Tangle Wire, so when he played the second Hermit I just scooped in disgust.

From then on, I learned to never, ever scoop until I was actually dead (or the opponent was in the middle of an infinite combo, or there were clock considerations).

Yeah, I honestly think I just learned that lesson. I really, honestly thought I had no outs. But, the deck performed and the cards fell just right.

Now, if I could only work on my anger at losing...lol.

bigkrev

Yeah. I'll scoop only if i'm worried about the clock, or know there is actually no way for me to win and I don't want to show more of my deck.

An-Det

I just realized that MM is releasing at the same time as GP Providence here this weekend. I guess the MM release stuff this weekend is going to be much smaller than I expected, which should help me since I'm rusty.

y2dvd

Shouldn't scoop when it comes down to the wire because you never know if they'll make a mistake. I've won a few, lost a few, and seen a few games won in what looked like a scoop match.

noquarter

I was doing a cube draft on MTGO and had a game go like that. It looked like I was done, think the opponent thought the same as I had about 1:30 left and he had a better board state than me. Ended up getting a Puppeteer Clique and getting a bomb that I milled of his and saced the Clique for something else.

Ended up winning with like 0:02 left on the clock.

Really like the games where it comes down to the wire.

joelseph

I won a 8-4 DGM last night with 1 health left. Opponent was at 16 and I played Gruul War Chant, stopped one of his 2 blockers off a battalion trigger and bloodrushed for the win.

Next event my karma ran out, 1-1 in the semis I could have taken it with a fused toil and trouble both on the opponent but it was late and I cast the toil on me. bleh.

kirblar

I won a 8-4 DGM last night with 1 health left. Opponent was at 16 and I played Gruul War Chant, stopped one of his 2 blockers off a battalion trigger and bloodrushed for the win.

Next event my karma ran out, 1-1 in the semis I could have taken it with a fused toil and trouble both on the opponent but it was late and I cast the toil on me. bleh.
Gruul War Chant is stuuupid. (And constructed playable.)

joelseph

Gruul War Chant is stuuupid. (And constructed playable.)

I am finding removal in limited DGM to be pretty tame and thus enchantments are crazy good. The 3 drop selesnya that gives lifelink and trample 2/2 is bonkers.

I won an 8-4 with 8 gates and all the gate dudes. Loaded them up with enchantments and went to town.

OnPoint

I am finding removal in limited DGM to be pretty tame and thus enchantments are crazy good. The 3 drop selesnya that gives lifelink and trample 2/2 is bonkers.

I won an 8-4 with 8 gates and all the gate dudes. Loaded them up with enchantments and went to town.

Those lucky enough to get that and Ruric Thar in the same pool are going to win.

joelseph

I'm going to try an enchantment control, too bad I didn't get any stab wounds!

-edit- Got dropped during deckbuilding, came back with seconds left. Got almost everything right but was rushed. Had fun the first game but had to mull to 4 in game two and that started the decline. Off to watch the Hawks!

0SdRFN1.png

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So you guys who were working on an izzet deck with those cyclops jobbies, Travis Woo has been playing a variant of it with white so that he can have Boros Charm. Seems pretty good.

You can find the video archive of him playing it here (matches start about 40 minutes in).

EDIT: Damn he won all but like 1 match and this was against real decks like Jund and Junk rights. His deck just kills people out of nowhere, it's pretty nutty.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Co-worker has been trying his best to get me back into the game.

He lent me some cards and I joined tonight's standard daily on MODO and won 4-0, wtf.

I'm playing 4cc reanimator...the deck plays itself.

WanderingWind

So you guys who were working on an izzet deck with those cyclops jobbies, Travis Woo has been playing a variant of it with white so that he can have Boros Charm. Seems pretty good.

You can find the video archive of him playing it here (matches start about 40 minutes in).

EDIT: Damn he won all but like 1 match and this was against real decks like Jund and Junk rights. His deck just kills people out of nowhere, it's pretty nutty.

I don't want to be that guy, but I was doing it before it was Woo. (Ha.) And, I'd like to mention, I did it with my own cards and tix and WITH my shirt on.

Sup.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Co-worker has been trying his best to get me back into the game.

He lent me some cards and I joined tonight's standard daily on MODO and won 4-0, wtf.

I'm playing 4cc reanimator...the deck plays itself.

That's how standard is nowadays. A lot of it is the power creep of creatures. EtB effects are so powerful, sometimes it won't matter if you make a few mistakes or don't play tight enough.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
That's how standard is nowadays. A lot of it is the power creep of creatures. EtB effects are so powerful, sometimes it won't matter if you make a few mistakes or don't play tight enough.

Yea I remember getting rolled in the dailies like five years ago. I did get some awesome hands but i was also aggressive with mulls. Also lost all four die rolls.

Just happy this paid for a few drafts.

Lucario

My limited rating fell from 1830 to ~1740.

It's staying there. I keep 0-1ing 8-4 queues after being able to chain through them like nothing.

I got through all of triple RTR with my original three packs and two tixs, ended up redeeming a full set. Now with the whole block (and even drafting older blocks for some reason) I'm just fucking up constantly. Ugh.

Variance (and sucking at a new format) is annoying. I think I'll quit limited until Theros.

bigkrev

My limited rating fell from 1830 to ~1740.

It's staying there. I keep 0-1ing 8-4 queues after being able to chain through them like nothing.

I got through all of triple RTR with my original three packs and two tixs, ended up redeeming a full set. Now with the whole block (and even drafting older blocks for some reason) I'm just fucking up constantly. Ugh.

Variance (and sucking at a new format) is annoying. I think I'll quit limited until Theros.

I raised my rating to the 1700s (which was a HUGE accompishment for me) while M13 was the format. I loved that format, but squandered a lot of prizes by playing Swiss trying to get QPs (I ended up not getting enough and swore off ever trying to qualify again)

y2dvd

Gonna study up on Modern Masters just in case I draft for it. Got questions on several keywords.

• What's Entwine?
  • What's Suspend?
  • What's Evoke?
  • What's Suspend?
  • What's Persist?
  • What's Prowl?
  • What's Basic landcycling?
  • What's Splice?
  • What's Retrace?
  • What's Dredge?
  • What's Split Second?
  • What's Modular?
  • What's Sunburst?

Haly

What's Entwine?
Either/or cards that let you play both effects for the Entwine cost. Kind of like Fuse.

What's Suspend?
It's a complicated mechanic where you play a card and it sits outside play with some suspend counters on it. You remove one each upkeep and when all the counters are gone, you can play it for free.

What's Evoke?
Lets you cheat a creature into play but you have to sacrifice it at the end of turn, effectively turning it into a sorcery. Evoke creatures all have some sort of ETB effect.

What's Persist?
Same thing as undying except with -1/-1 counters.

What's Prowl?
Les you play cards for the Prowl cost if you dealt damage with a Rogue tribe card.

What's Basic landcycling?
Lets you cycle card, but instead of drawing you search your library for a basic land.

What's Splice?
Let's you tack cards onto other cards as you play them. The cards you tack on are not used up so you can keep splicing the same card onto other cards you play.

What's Retrace?
Lets you play a card from your graveyard if you pay its normal cost and discard a land.

What's Dredge?
Can replace a draw by returning the card to your hand from your graveyard if you mill cards equal to the dredge number.

What's Split Second?
Cards that can't be responded to.

What's Modular?
Artifact creatures that come into play with +1/+1 counters equal to the Modular number. When a Modular creature dies, all is +1/+1 counters can be transferred to another artifact creature.

What's Sunburst?
Artifact cards that come into play with some kind of counter equal to the number of differently colored mana used to play it.

Honestly you should just use this for any questions about... anything: http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Main_Page

Lets you cheat a creature into play but you have to sacrifice it at the end of turn, effectively turning it into a sorcery. Evoke creatures all have some sort of ETB effect.

Evoke actually makes you sacrifice the creature immediately. If you cast a creature for its Evoke cost, it gets an extra ETB trigger that says "Sacrifice this creature." Generally this means that you pay less for the creature so you can just get its ETB effect and not its body. So Mulldrifter is essentially a strictly better Divination.

Speaking of Modern Masters, I've been doing some sample drafts online - and I have to say that the format is daunting. It's like drafting a new cube that you don't know for the first time. Outside of silly niche strategies, like Storm or Dampen Thought, it's hard to know what to really go for.

I know I won't be drafting a lot of it online, but I'm sure I'll be doing my fair share. I'll definitely be taking the opportunity to watch some pros draft it online first to hopefully get an idea of the different places you can do with it.

Haly

Evoke actually makes you sacrifice the creature immediately. If you cast a creature for its Evoke cost, it gets an extra ETB trigger that says "Sacrifice this creature." Generally this means that you pay less for the creature so you can just get its ETB effect and not its body. So Mulldrifter is essentially a strictly better Divination.

Ah, woops.

sgjackson

2-1'd a draft tonight. Considering all the CASH MONEY CARDS I opened, I'm pretty happy, but if anyone has any tips on how they would have drafted or built the deck differently, I'm all ears.

Here's the draft: http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=4c3mi#all

And here's how I built it:
Mla3ZWj.png

Round 1 I played against a guy who ramped into Angel of Serenity both games, which I just didn't have an answer to.

Round 2 I played against a guy who was running Bant. His best cards were two Trostani's Summoners, both of which he got off in game one, but I managed to fight back from a 15 point life defecit with solid blocking for a few turns, and a very opportune Profit//Loss topdeck. Second game I just ran him out with a solid curve.

Round 3 I curved out Screecher-Cluestone-Blood Baron in game 1, and Assassin-Reveler-Gatecreeper Vine-Blood Baron in game 2. He didn't last long.

y2dvd

Thanks for the response Haly.

I searched the keywords in the Modern Masters set and tallied up the numbers. This includes any cards that relates or can benefit the keyword.

Entwine: 4 - G/W
Suspend: 16 - W/U/R/B/G/C(oloress)
Evoke: 5 - W/U/G
Persist: 4 - U/G/W/R/B
Prowl: 3 - U/B
Basic landcycling: 5 - W/U/R/B/G
Splice: 5 - U/B/R
Retrace: 4 - W/B/G
Dredge: 5 - B/G/L(and)
Split Second: 6 - W/U/R/B/G
Modular: 4 - C
Sunburst: 4 - C

Each mechanic is presented pretty evenly. With so many to choose from, I assume drafting for your mechanic should be easier as you'll run into less of a chance of others choosing the same one imo.

WanderingWind

Modern Cube. I'm doing this with MM. Anybody else have a cube going?

And is there anywhere to buy the booze cube cards already done? I don't want to fuck around in arts and crafts land for 2 weeks

Zocano

I tend to pick up really heavy on the gatekeepers (this is probably to my detriment but I find them very helpful for just the 2/4 body). Depending on the draft I will usually have enough gates to trigger their abilities and the saruli +7 life has gotten me through a couple tough stalls. Going through your draft, I would have picked gatekeepers more often than not and I'd also have probably stuck strictly to three colors. Three with a 4th splash would have worked for you though, having picked up 2 other simic guildgates, but probably wouldn't have risked taking a 4th in a draft.

OnPoint

Why Delver? He can be hit or miss in the current standard. Bant Hex or Bant Enchant is pretty strong now.

I have all the cards for all of the decks... I just think being able to flip delver off creatures (Call of the Conclave, Advent of the Wurm), combined with how well that plays with Snapcaster/Runechanter's Pike is really strong.

If you were gonna run a list, do you have suggestions? For anything you'd run, really, in Bant colors.

Top Bottom