• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

OnPoint

fiendslayerpaladin.jpg

Ugh. I don't like it at all. Why can't it just have Protection from Black and Red?

Introducing Creature Creep: The Card.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
I'm thinking playing UWR control on MODO may be a mistake. I've timed out 3-times in my last 10 matches even though I feel I had dominant board position.

I'm trying to use F3/F4/F6 more liberally now but I keep missing end triggers.

Anyone got any tips?

Yeef

It's Knight of Meadowgrain. Apparently 1 colorless is good for pro red and black.

I'm surprised that they put the reminder text for first strike and lifelink instead of for protection. Or put reminder text at all, for that matter.

[EDIT] Oh. Misread it. It just has "red black hexproof"

ajf009

I'd much rather have the half hexproof from black & red than full on protection. And if there's not a black counterpart I'll be extremely disappointed

Ken

Is there a place that describes deck playstyles? Also are decks that only use one color non-existent in real play? DotP is my only experience with the game so far.

kirblar

Is there a place that describes deck playstyles? Also are decks that only use one color non-existent in real play? DotP is my only experience with the game so far.
Right now we're on the "rainbow" end of the "what colors can your deck support" spectrum due to the previous 2 blocks (Innistrad/RTR) encouraging multi-color decks. It'll start transitioning the other way over the next two years. We see a multicolor set about once every 4 years, so it tends to ping pong back and forth.

I think mtgsalvation has a wiki. Generally you have "Aggro" (All out Attack!) "Tempo" (Attack, but with a heavy disruptive focus), Midrange (clog the board up!) Ramp (Make more mana, play big dumb stuff) Combo (Oh, you thought we were playing an interactive game?) and Control (The Dhalsim of Magic.) Decks nowadays blend a lot of roles/playstyles, but generally they fall into one of those archtypes.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'd add Reanimator to that list. Dump big scary stuff into the graveyard and then bring it back for cheaper then it's casting cost.

Crocodile

Sorry, I meant mill deck. I always confuse the two. Mostly because the deck that I have in real life uses milling and discarding.

I'm game for older cards. I was just doing standard, because it seems to be what everyone in the lobby is playing, mostly.
I like a good mix, but if you have suggestions, I'm open to them.
My budget is... I'm not sure what I want to to be right now. Still trying to get use to online play and trading before I make any real investment here.
I have a black/blue mill deck in real life, so I could try out a different one.

I have no idea what cards prices are worth online so if I mention a card outside your price range, feel free to ignore me. You say you already have a U/B mill deck so I'm going to avoid suggesting that as well. I think if you wanted to take the deck in a more spell based direction you may want to head towards a more U/R direction and if you wanted it to be more creature centric you may want to head towards a U/G direction.

For a potential U/R spell direction (I obviously haven't play-tested this so I dunno if it holds up to the stress of the casual room or if the numbers are good at all) you could try something like:

4 Goblin Electromancer
4 Archenomancer

4 Though Scour
4 Silent Departure
4 Dream Twist
4 Mind Scuplt
4 Searing Spear
4 Desperate Ravings
1 Mystic Retrieval
1 Increasing Confusion
2 Increasing Vengeance

4 Izzet Guildgate
11 Island
9 Mountain

Thought Scour is a cantrip that help you move thorough your deck, can be used to mill the opponent OR be used to mill you to hit your flashback spells. Searing Spear + Silent Departure help you interact with creatures. Mizzium Mortars may be the way to go if you don't care about burning your opponent at all since it also becomes a Wrath at six mana. Desperate Ravings is another card that lets you move through your deck quickly. Faithless Looting is a suitable replacement and may indeed be better. Mystic Retrieval is another way to rebuy spells. Increasing Vengeance is a way to copy your mill spells. Goblin Elecromancer is an early road bump that can increase you clock by making all your spells cheaper. Seems helpful in the turns you do a lot of flashbacking or returning spells from your graveyard to you hand.

These cards are all standard legal. Moving backwards, you could look into Izzet Guildmage (copies your cheap mill spells) or Izzet Chronarch (another guy who buybacks spells) and probably some other cards I'm not remembering.

A Mono Blue shell using non standard legal cards may look like this:

4 Archenomancer
4 Mnemonic Wall

4 Thought Scour
4 Silent Departure
4 Dream Twist
4 Mind Scuplt
4 Mana Leak
1 Increasing Confusion

Add cards that interact with your opponent to you liking :) The most important thing to remember is to keep your deck focused and to a maximum of 60 cards. If you want your deck to be a mill deck, then focus on milling them out. Jace's Phantasm has always felt like a trap card in that regard unless you're including it in a deck where the plan is to beatdown but mills incidentally with creatures like Consuming Aberration but not spells like Mind Scuplt.Crosstown Courier is loose because it will always kill your opponent with damage before mill. You original deck also had a fair number of creature buss but not enough creatures to justify them. Chronic Flooding is also a loose card if you intend to enchant your opponent because soon enough they can usually avoid tapping the land and then the card is doing absolutely nothing. Finally, it goes without saying that Jace 1.0 and 3.0 also work well in Mill themed deck but I have no idea how much they are worth online.

Is Progenitor Mimic worth a lot online? For a more creature based approach I feel like a lot of clone effects would be useful to abuse those triggers on those Sage's Row Denizens. I'd also include Hedron Crab and some fetchlands (Evolving Wilds are fine and cheap) as those come down early and can start milling quickly. Sword of Body & Mind works well in a deck with a lot of creatures but I assume it costs infinite tix online :(

Because those abilities are really good in a multicolor block.

They just printed Blood Baron of Vizkopa. They aren't afraid to do multicolor protection if they use it sparingly. Personally I'd prefer they waited a year; I'm not sure this type of card NEEDED to exist this year rather than any other :p

Can human knights deck be a thing?

The cards you are looking for are Knight Exemplar from M11 and Kinsbaile Cavalier from Morningtide. War Falcon from M13 is also decent. Fill out your curve with Knights of your liking :p

kirblar

They just printed Blood Baron of Vizkopa. They aren't afraid to do multicolor protection if they use it sparingly. Personally I'd prefer they waited a year; I'm not sure this type of card NEEDED to exist this year rather than any other :p
They specifically printed 1 instance of each "protection" in the set.

An-Det

1257 for GP Miami. Legit shocked at how low that is considering the SCG effect.

They run a good tournament, but the combination of being right after Vegas (aside from the more hardcore or local, people travelling to a big event would choose Vegas) and not doing a Gold Rush this time (which was also a huge draw) would do that.

MjFrancis

I've found that Standard is not for me. Way too rich for my blood.

I guess it's called a Naya deck that I was going up against all night long. Avacyn's Pilgrim + Farseek + Thragtusk. All night long. Depending on the person, Hunstmen of the Fells and/or Restoration Angel or whatever else was also splashed in there. I was also the only one not running dual lands - without that I was at a huge disadvantage. When I add it all up, I just don't have that kind of money to spend on this game.

The other thing that left a sour taste in my mouth was that I went in there telling everyone I'm new, I've only played two other nights and never at a FNM, I was up front that I don't know all the rules - and the first person I went up against took advantage of that rather than helping me out. As an example, I brought in Aurelia and attacked. He kills her and asks if I'm done. I say I suppose so and he takes eight damage. The game continues and I lose. After the game, he told me that even though he killed Aurelia I still get a second combat. So basically instead of taking eight he would have taken sixteen and I would have won? Since he's a regular, I'd rather just not frequent that store against that kind of competition. I know some people consider stuff like that part of the game, but if that's the case, that's not the kind of game I care to play.

bigkrev

I've found that Standard is not for me. Way too rich for my blood.

I guess it's called a Naya deck that I was going up against all night long. Avacyn's Pilgrim + Farseek + Thragtusk. All night long. Depending on the person, Hunstmen of the Fells and/or Restoration Angel or whatever else was also splashed in there. I was also the only one not running dual lands - without that I was at a huge disadvantage. When I add it all up, I just don't have that kind of money to spend on this game.

The other thing that left a sour taste in my mouth was that I went in there telling everyone I'm new, I've only played two other nights and never at a FNM, I was up front that I don't know all the rules - and the first person I went up against took advantage of that rather than helping me out. As an example, I brought in Aurelia and attacked. He kills her and asks if I'm done. I say I suppose so and he takes eight damage. The game continues and I lose. After the game, he told me that even though he killed Aurelia I still get a second combat. So basically instead of taking eight he would have taken sixteen and I would have won? Since he's a regular, I'd rather just not frequent that store against that kind of competition. I know some people consider stuff like that part of the game, but if that's the case, that's not the kind of game I care to play.

My rule of thumb when it comes to new players is that I'll let them slide ONCE on rule based stuff (ie, drawing a card before doing something in the Upkeep), but when it comes to something PRINTED ON THEIR CARD I'm ruthless. Aurelia clearly states you get a second attack phase. Missing that is totally on you, not him

Zocano

I was kind of a dick about a rule yesterday (and I repeated several times I really wasn't trying to be to the guy) but the game was in the last round or so essentially and was a tense one up until that moment.

Anyway, he drew his card and went into his main phase 1 and sat there for a bit. At which point he said he'd cast Terminus for its miracle cost. And I realized that, well, he can't do that. It has to be as you draw the card for you to cast it for the miracle and as much as I hate pining down a rule, the game was in its final crucial moments (we were both low on life) and said that he couldn't do that since he let the miracle card go into his hand after he drew it.

Felt like an asshole the rest of the night even if I did "the right thing".

MjFrancis

Yeah, I just didn't get that you keep the ability even if she dies. He asked if I was done so I assumed he was referring to my post-combat phase. I didn't have anything to play do I assumed that was all I could do. My fault certainly. Doesnt make it less of an off-putting introduction to standard.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
My rule of thumb when it comes to new players is that I'll let them slide ONCE on rule based stuff (ie, drawing a card before doing something in the Upkeep), but when it comes to something PRINTED ON THEIR CARD I'm ruthless. Aurelia clearly states you get a second attack phase. Missing that is totally on you, not him

Yeah, I was trying to not sound like a dick, but I tend to agree. If it was his card, then that's different. But if it's yours...eh. Could go either way, really.

I did play with a "new" player who kept trying to do odd shit. I let him slide. Went back next week and he didn't recognize me (glasses v contacts) and he tried the same shit. "Oh, sorry, it's my first FNM."

On the other hand some people can be dicks, even if they're technically correct.

bigkrev

Yeah, I just didn't get that you keep the ability even if she dies. He asked if I was done so I assumed he was referring to my post-combat phase. I didn't have anything to play do I assumed that was all I could do. My fault certainly. Doesnt make it less of an off-putting introduction to standard.

I do stuff like the pen trick all the time (saying "attacks?" To my opponent while holding my pen over the life pad as if I'm saying I take the damage. Once they attack, I put the pen down and do stuff instead of just taking it).

OnPoint

I was kind of a dick about a rule yesterday (and I repeated several times I really wasn't trying to be to the guy) but the game was in the last round or so essentially and was a tense one up until that moment.

Anyway, he drew his card and went into his main phase 1 and sat there for a bit. At which point he said he'd cast Terminus for its miracle cost. And I realized that, well, he can't do that. It has to be as you draw the card for you to cast it for the miracle and as much as I hate pining down a rule, the game was in its final crucial moments (we were both low on life) and said that he couldn't do that since he let the miracle card go into his hand after he drew it.

Felt like an asshole the rest of the night even if I did "the right thing".

Nah, man, he missed that trigger pretty clearly. That's not on you to feel bad at all.

I do stuff like the pen trick all the time (saying "attacks?" To my opponent while holding my pen over the life pad as if I'm saying I take the damage. Once they attack, I put the pen down and do stuff instead of just taking it).

I dont like that, it's pretty dirty. BUT. If you fool them twice that's on their fault. I'd never let you get away with that on me twice.

The Adder

Banned
Back again after putting the B/W bleed deck I've been working on since Gatecrash through another iteration and I'm looking for opinions.

Black - 13

Basilica Screecher x4
Crypt Ghast x1
Stab Wound x4
Sinister Punishment x2
Victim of the Night x2

White - 6

Blind Obedience x1
Knight of Obligation x1
Syndic of Tithes x4

Multicolor - 16

Kingpin's Pet x3
Obzedat, Ghost Council x2
High Priest of Penance x2
One Thousand Lashes x4
Orzhov Charm x1
Tithe Drinker x2
Vizkopa Guildmage x2

Artifact - 2

Orzhov Keyrune x2

Land - 20

Plains x7
Swamp x11
Orzhov Guildgate x2

In playing it seems to me that Vizkopa Guildmage hasn't done that much work, but I just got Crypt Ghast and haven't been able to test him by playing at all yet.

I've actually got a couple of decently valuable cards that I don't personally have a deck for to use as trading fodder, so any suggestions you might want to give on things to add to my deck don't have to take into consideration a budget. I am aware that shock lands would be a good idea.

Also, my count's off somewhere, still not spotting where.

Just came *this* close to 3-0ing my second Modern Masters draft with UB Faeries. Severe mana screw in M3G3 was my undoing; I probably should have mulliganed the 2-island hand, but I could cast three spells in my hand and my opponent was playing a fairly slow deck (GW Thallids). It seemed risky to mulligan; it also seemed risky to keep:

2 Island
Vedalken Dismisser
Petals of Insight
Riftwing Cloudskate
2x Spellstutter Sprite

Obviously it didn't work out for me, but I'm not necessarily sure that means the keep was 100% wrong.

Regardless, the draft was a ton of fun. I routinely ended games with 5+ cards in hand by recycling with Pilferers and Death Denied, plus drawing cards with Latchkey Faerie, 2x Mulldrifer, Cold-Eyed Selkie (that card put it work against a UR opponent in match one), etc.

I'll be doing it at least once more, and I think I'm going to play the MMA MTGO PTQ next weekend too just for giggles.

rCIZZLE

Then again, so would the players who actually bought the game and go to your LGS to get their copies, only to be told by the clerk that they're all gone. I've gotten ripped off in trades when I was starting out, but I don't think that gives me a reason to rip other people off.

I also am going to play the oozes, and I even collect them (luckily, none of them are particularily rare other than Youle Ooze, but I'd rather forget about it). However, I won't be getting greedy and hog other people's cards, even more so since I'm an established player and many people will get into paper MtG though DotP. To me, cutting potential new players off of their first paper cards doesn't feel right, and if you just wanted the card, it'd probably be cheaper to buy them as singles.

I don't even think the ooze will be that expensive, even. M14 will put lots of copies in circulation, so non-promo versions shouldn't be too hard to find.

I guess. Well, it's too late anyways as I got my playset last night. :p New players already get those core set starter decks for free which is infinitely more helpful than 6 random cards.

Ken

Right now we're on the "rainbow" end of the "what colors can your deck support" spectrum due to the previous 2 blocks (Innistrad/RTR) encouraging multi-color decks. It'll start transitioning the other way over the next two years. We see a multicolor set about once every 4 years, so it tends to ping pong back and forth.

I think mtgsalvation has a wiki. Generally you have "Aggro" (All out Attack!) "Tempo" (Attack, but with a heavy disruptive focus), Midrange (clog the board up!) Ramp (Make more mana, play big dumb stuff) Combo (Oh, you thought we were playing an interactive game?) and Control (The Dhalsim of Magic.) Decks nowadays blend a lot of roles/playstyles, but generally they fall into one of those archtypes.

Seems pretty complicated. I just want to make a deck with humans and angels. D:

The cards you are looking for are Knight Exemplar from M11 and Kinsbaile Cavalier from Morningtide. War Falcon from M13 is also decent. Fill out your curve with Knights of your liking :p

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showpost.php?p=8793471&postcount=5

Would that deck be something to go for? It has the Exemplar you mention but not that Kinsbaile Cavalier. I plan to just play casually.

Sinatar

They spoiled a card at GP Miami. Don't recall the name of it but:

BBB
Enchantment
When a creature you control dies you lose 1 life and draw a card.

Sinatar

Ironically the only deck that would really want that card (aristocrats variants) have too shaky a mana base to run it.

y2dvd

So I caved in and got Dotp. Player on default difficulty and breezed thru Campaign and Revenge mode with just the Garruk deck. Gotta say the interface were fairly quick for me and I rarely experienced getting mana boned. Haven't messed with any other modes or decks to say anything about them yet.

So Iay have learned something new in this one action I had, unless it was something that was looked over. I attacked with a 4/4 creature into Lord of the Unreal and Phantasmal Bear, a 2/2 and 3/3 body. Figure I was going to take only one of them out. CPU blocks with both creatures. I assign damage in the order of LotU, then PB. The game then assigned the first dmg, killing LotU then causing PB to become a 2/2 body. My 4/4 was then able to take out the bear, getting me a 2 for 1.

I always thought the dmg was assigned all assigned out at the same time, but I got to decide what to kill first. Guess I never thought of it as "stacks" of fights.

An-Det

So I caved in and got Dotp. Player on default difficulty and breezed thru Campaign and Revenge mode with just the Garruk deck. Gotta say the interface were fairly quick for me and I rarely experienced getting mana boned. Haven't messed with any other modes or decks to say anything about them yet.

So Iay have learned something new in this one action I had, unless it was something that was looked over. I attacked with a 4/4 creature into Lord of the Unreal and Phantasmal Bear, a 2/2 and 3/3 body. Figure I was going to take only one of them out. CPU blocks with both creatures. I assign damage in the order of LotU, then PB. The game then assigned the first dmg, killing LotU then causing PB to become a 2/2 body. My 4/4 was then able to take out the bear, getting me a 2 for 1.

I always thought the dmg was assigned all assigned out at the same time, but I got to decide what to kill first. Guess I never thought of it as "stacks" of fights.

Yeah, it was changed to this in M10 I think. Damage is dealt all at the same time but the attacking player chooses the order of creatures to whom damage is dealt if multiple creatures block. Usually it's not a huge influence on combat, but when playing with lords (like when I played a lot of Merfolk) being familiar with it helps. That's one thing the AI in DOTP usually fails in, since it only considers current p/t with lords when blocking.

kirblar

It's not. It's just that you're doing 2 to each and then the bear loses the buff, killing it after the lord dies. What you can't do anymore is assign damage 2/1/1/1/1, with the 2 going to say, goblin chieftain, and then 1 to each little token.

Negator

Played in a TCGPlayer Gold event today, managed to place 12th and at least got a playmat. Turns out a lot of decks can't beat Rakdos Cackler into Spike Jester.

We had a 60+ player tournament in an area that could be considered no bigger than my apartment, and it was around 100 degrees outside. Needless to say, playing in that venue was miserable and me and my friend could not wait to get the FUCK out of that place.

JulianImp

If you're playing at a FNM or other regular Rules Enforcement Level event, the Infraction Procedure Guide doesn't apply and is replaced by a way simpler ruleset, since that REL is specifically designed for people that don't know much about tournament rules and procedures.

I mostly point mistakes and optional triggers out, unless there're very specific things going on. For example, last FNM I blocked a 3/3 with my Aetherling, my opponent used a Rampager's bloodthirst and I blinked the 'ling out. He then cast a Searing Spear on the 'ling in response, let it resolve, and soon after said "your Aetherling dies, doesn't it?"; since he's already's trying to "go pro" and is trying out professional play, he himself said "I screwed up, didn't I?" when I pointed out the 'ling would take three damage and still survive and blink out. Even against him, I tend to point out trigger mistakes and illegal stuff simply because he still isn't skilled enough, but is trying hard to get better at the game... if only he didn't boast as much and started listening to others' advice...

I believe that's a fishy practice in higher RELs, and is even more of an asshole play at FNM level. For worse, it's one of the things that make me instantly label someone as a person I can't trust, so I stop being as lax/cool and go straight to silent and strict rules enforcing mode. I hate doing that, but what I hate even more is people doing "tricks" like that, since they'll eventually catch some less experienced players off guard, making the LGS mood less about having fun and more about being paranoid about tricking others out before they trick you.

Now that I think about it, it's similar to how I'd only snake in Mario Kart DS if somebody else did (even though playing random people can't be compared to LGS MtG play). It isn't even fun to do, but what I hate even more is seeing how a single person spoils the mood for everybody else... back to MtG, you are meant to have fun at FNM-level play, for Pete's sake.

Paranoid pro-wannabe communities are what put me off of playing for quite a while, until I finally came across my current LGS, which has a small group of players where we're all experimenting with crazy decks that would go 0-X at any more competitive event, ordering some pizza together and having lots of fun while slinging cards.

Eh... rant mode over.

bigkrev

After hearing that "We are finally making a good Chandra", I feel... whelmed. It's certainly the best Chandra, but I don't know if the card is above average.

The Zero is probably the best ability, giving red decks restriction free card draw. It probably helps more in a control-ish deck (helps hit land drops), but could work well in aggro decks. The +1 is really strange. It just seems really underpowered. Would this ability have been better as "Opponent takes 2 and their guy can't block"? It's never killing anything bigger than an elf.

The Ultimate is the real bummer- It's super weak. The best (realistic scenereo) is finding a Searing Spear with it and hitting for 9? That doesn't sound Ultimate to me.

Ken

What's the best way to get a card deck together; through singles or packs?

Are old duel decks like the Knights vs Dragon one impossible to find now?

Sinatar

You hit for 12 with the ultimate w/ a spear.

It'd only be 9.

She seems alright. Agro decks will love the +1 for getting blockers out of the way (and hate the 4 mana cost) and control decks will mildly enjoy the 0... oh who am I kidding she isn't going in a control deck.

EDIT:

Some other cards spoiled:

JJNcx5nOEV_EN.jpg

Why does this have to be 5 mana, it'd be so good otherwise. At least it turns Chandra's +1 into a searing spear. Does nice things with Ral Zaraks -2 as well.

096Zk4frnP_EN.jpg

Just a straight update to the old Gemhide Sliver.

Image.ashx

Top Bottom