• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Shahar was up 2 games, I don't see why he didn't jam in Thundermaw a turn earlier. He knew Ben had like 2 Spell Snares in his hand.

Shahar's deck just trolled him. The critical turn where it was correct to just go for it, his deck gave him a Sphinx's Revelation and convinced him to do the wrong thing.

Game four turned out to be a non-game and Shahar took down the match anyway, but the last act of game three was painful to watch.

An-Det

Damn that was a good set of games.

Whenever building casual decks for new players, I make a note to stick to peasant deckbuilding rules (commons and uncommons only). I typically also try to limit myself to only two copies of any common and one copy of any uncommon.

All my collection is Vintage, Legacy, and Modern staples. In retrospect, I should have picked up some precons instead.

It hurts to see someone punt away an on-board win, but the top of Josh's deck didn't punish Reid for that colossal misplay.

We've all done it, of course. Everyone makes mistakes - not seeing an on-board win happens to everyone. But you'd think that Reid would see that he trampled for lethal rather than being so focused on offing the Liliana, considering that his deck is based entirely on doing combat math and trampling lots of damage.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I noticed the commentators state why someone would NOT want to play that deck since it is so specific.
It got him really far though.

So do card prices usually fluctuate after a championship?

Oh definitely. Expect deck staples to go up as a bunch of people try to build the decks they saw for FNM.

Oh definitely. Expect deck staples to go up as a bunch of people try to build the decks they saw for FNM.

Any guess as to what some of them would be?

Snapcaster Mage seemed like a frequently used card. (I had it used on me last FNM. In fact, that guy was running one of the decks used at the championship)

Trying to stay in Standard format from now on... so I'm looking through some of my older cards to see what I'd want to trade/sell and noticed that Marsh Flats is priced above average, at least compared to what I was expecting. It's Zendikar...

http://store.tcgplayer.com/magic/zendikar/marsh-flats

Do you guys ever hold onto some cards thinking that they may get reprinted in a Standard format? For example, Blood Crypt was with Return to Ravnica. I'm pretty tempted to offload my non-standard rares to build a good standard deck.

ultron87

On that note, I'm considering trying something like the French team's Blue - White deck for Game Day. Because I'm overly terrified of Burning Earth, and thus I don't want to play my usual Esper (which isn't great these days anyway).

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Trying to stay in Standard format from now on... so I'm looking through some of my older cards to see what I'd want to trade/sell and noticed that Marsh Flats is priced above average, at least compared to what I was expecting. It's Zendikar...

Do you guys ever hold onto some cards thinking that they may get reprinted in a Standard format? For example, Blood Crypt was with Return to Ravnica. I'm pretty tempted to offload my non-standard rares to build a good standard deck.

Couple lines of thought here, you choose what suits you.

1) Look at shocklands. They've dropped a ridiculous amount since being reintroducted into Standard. If the Zendikar fetch lands (Marsh Flats) get reprinted, the same thing will apply. We know they're not in Theros, at least. We know there is another type of dual being introduced in Theros. What if it's better than the Zen fetches and they drop in price? So, if you know you're not going to play Modern/Legacy, sell it.

2) What if it takes them 5-6 years to reprint something that's better or equal to Zen fetches? The value of that card isn't going to go down, it'll only increase. So, keep it. Besides, you may play Standard now, but what if in a year you really want to jump into Legacy/Modern. The mana bases are super important and should never be sold.

f0rk

Never get rid of lands, especially ones as relevant to older formats as fetches.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Is it worth it to run Ghost Quarter in a mono-coloured deck just to blow up your own lands and thin your deck once you have enough mana to play anything?

WanderingWind

Is it worth it to run Ghost Quarter in a mono-coloured deck just to blow up your own lands and thin your deck once you have enough mana to play anything?

My opinion on this is that if your deck requires thinning, you're not really building an optimal deck or you're trying to plan decklists to try to combat inevitable variance and not the meta.

Basically, deck thinning is a response to mana flooding. If this happens often, then you likely have too much mana. If it happens occasionally, just accept that and try to incorporate strategies that will allow you to succeed with variance, rather than try to eliminate it by running non-productive cards in your deck.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
It's not really non-productive though. I mean sure, there's the 1-in-100 case where you need one more coloured mana to be able to play multiple spells with harsh mana requirements (say, 2 Celestial Flares when they have two attacking creatures). On the other-hand, if you're at the stage where the next card you draw decides the game, being able to thin your deck and increase your odds by say 3-4% isn't negligible.

f0rk

Not really for thinning but if your own manabase can handle it and you play against a lot of decks that won't run many basics it should be good.

WanderingWind

It's not really non-productive though. I mean sure, there's the 1-in-100 case where you need one more coloured mana to be able to play multiple spells with harsh mana requirements (say, 2 Celestial Flares when they have two attacking creatures). On the other-hand, if you're at the stage where the next card you draw decides the game, being able to thin your deck and increase your odds by say 3-4% isn't negligible.

Well, if you already have your answer go for it. That's the beauty of the game, what's absolute garbage to me might be an awesome idea for you.

It's fun watching people toy with their opponent only to watch them fizzle out because of a misplay. Longmore just spent 10 minutes with High Tide only to realize she didn't have shit to do with the infinite mana.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fully convinced there is an objective method of figuring out who is right but I'm too lazy to math.

Kacar

Me and my buddies were thinking of buying the online magic game, how easy is it to use? Is it easy to get into booster drafts with it?

kirblar

Me and my buddies were thinking of buying the online magic game, how easy is it to use? Is it easy to get into booster drafts with it?
If you don't know the intricacies of the game, it's going to take some time to get used to. It's an old, antiquated interface.

There are Youtube videos that show how the software works, and even those with drafting.
I watched one by boogie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxRqq7i0Ook

I'd like to get into it eventually, not for drafting but to practice my paper deck that I'd play at the game store so I could practice it daily with live opponents. At least that's an idea that I had.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Playing in a DGR draft.

My P1P1-3 I took gates. Those three packs all had the green gatekeeper. By the 9th pick I have around 5 gates and NONE of the green gatekeepers came back. I ended up getting a 13th pick Fluxcharger lol. I was very mad about having no gatekeepers going into pack 2.

Ended up drafting a very good 4-color gate deck that would've been insane with at least 2 of the green gatekeepers. I'm 2-0 currently and Hold the Gates so far is the MVP of the deck.

1/5 Zhur-Taa Druid with Vigilance, Flying (Thanks to the 3/9 Maze Glider) lol.

WanderingWind

I'm fully convinced there is an objective method of figuring out who is right but I'm too lazy to math.

When it comes to these types of discussions, I fall back on the expert of the pros who do this thing for a living and have infinite time, resources and playtesting to back their winning records. I'm strictly FNM warrior status for now (moving up soon though).

So, let's then look at the decks that contain Ghost Quarter that have won anything.

http://www.mtgdecks.net/decks/index/cards:ghost quarter

The only one that is mono colored really isn't, as they're Eldrazi ramp decks. In that deck, Ghost Quarter is just as good as any land because it produces colorless mana and also can slow down an opponent under certain circumstances. It's important to note that it's a one off in that deck and appears pretty much nowhere else.

That being said, I'm definitely not about only doing what the pros do, but you can search around for the supposed benefits of deck thinning and there is a lot of debate on what that actually does for you. I'm on the side that if you're worried about thinning your deck, unless your deck is specifically built around that, then your deck is less than optimal.

ultron87

Putting a Ghost Quarter in to deal with various troublesome utility lands seems reasonable, especially in a mono colored deck where it won't hurt your mana appreciably. If you occasionally come to the point that you can afford to kill one of your own lands to thin your deck because you won't be missing the mana then that seems like gravy. I guess then the question comes down to whether you'd just be served better by a Mutavault or other man land since it can actually directly impact the board.

Never get rid of lands, especially ones as relevant to older formats as fetches.

Yeah go ahead an offload your rares. That said, I agree with f0rk, always hold onto the lands(play-set of each). You can offload any extras above a play-set if you wish.

Edit: Also in regards to building standard, It depends on the deck but, you need to be really careful right now about rotation. If a deck you are looking at has a lot of cards that are going to rotate in September, it is a really bad investment. It is probably much safer to wait until theros particularly if the price of cards that you are looking to trade out of is stable.

Furthermore, in regards to trading do whatever you wish to for fun of course. But, personally I never like trading older into newer formats.(legacy/modern playable into standard) There are exceptions of course like when a card hits multiple formats, Deathrite Shaman would be an example.

f0rk

Putting a Ghost Quarter in to deal with various troublesome utility lands seems reasonable, especially in a mono colored deck where it won't hurt your mana appreciably.

And in standard right now it can be wasteland against some opponents.

Also in regards to building standard, It depends on the deck but, you need to be really careful right now about rotation. If a deck you are looking at has a lot of cards that are going to rotate in September, it is a really bad investment. It is probably much safer to wait until theros particularly if the price of cards that you are looking to trade out of is stable.

Furthermore, in regards to trading do whatever you wish to for fun of course. But, personally I never like trading older into newer formats.(legacy/modern playable into standard) There are exceptions of course like when a card hits multiple formats, Deathrite Shaman would be an example.

Yes, that is precisely why I want to try and go with some kind of very aggressive deck but try and stick with cards that will remain in Standard at the rotation.

And why don't you like to trade older into newer? I was just curious.

So in general, the advice seems to be trade off old rares I don't see myself using at all, but hold onto my dual/fetch lands.

I was toying around with an aggressive deck idea and thought of these cards:

Bogbrew Witch (for card fetching)
Corpse Hauler (to sacrifice and bring back creatures)
Desecration Demon (cheap with flying, unless they sacrifice their own creatures)
Festering Newt (to sacrifice)
Hellhole Flailer (for attacking / sacrificing)
Rakdos Cackler (attacking sacrificing)
Rakdos, Lord of Riots (cheap with flying/trample)
Tenacious Dead (to sacrifice and rebuild)

Barrage of Expendables (flings creatures)
Brimstone Volley (3 damage to opponent or creature)
Bubbling Cauldron (4 damage to opponent, 4 life to owner)
Dreadbore (creature removal)
Lava Axe (5 damage to opponent)
Mizzium Mortars (4 damage to target creature)
Rakdos' Return (X damage to opponent)
Searing Spear (3 damage to player or creature)

There may be better cards for removal, not sure. My last FNM I went against an elf deck with a crap ton of elves but none were very strong.

This seems like a decent combo.

24182.jpg

23045.jpg

Y
And why don't you like to trade older into newer? I was just curious.

Older cards tend to have stable prices. If you trade a old card that is say $15 into a standard card that is $15, that card could and likely will be worth far less than the $15 in value you traded into it at once it rotates out of standard. There are exceptions to this, such as when a card hits multiple formats. Deathrite Shaman which I mentioned, is one such exception, Snapcaster Mage is another.

y2dvd

Ghost Quarter is worth it if you're playing control. Cavern of Souls is killer to counter spells. I'm at least running two GQ to take care of it. If not that, I hope to hit a Kessig Wolf Run or Mutalvalt or whatever other dangerous utility land.

One last bout of nerd rage here and then I'll leave it alone.

I'm officially done with M14 limited. I'm having some serious nerd rage here. The design of this set for limited is complete ass. I hate that the Auras are so good and the removal is so bad. I haven't been recording my games or anything, but I would be willing to bet money that in 80% of the games that I've played, one of the lethal creatures had an Aura on it. Maindecking Naturalize is actually a real thing in this format, and it's ridiculous.

I just lost in the first round (again) with a sweet UG deck with Trained Condors and Tuskers and beefy green dudes (even a cute interaction with a Verdant Haven and that 2/2 hydra that gets counters for your life gained - actually pulled that off once) because my opponent threw Lightning Talons onto Slivers. It's not like my deck didn't have answers (Hunt the Weak, Claustrophobia, even the maindeck Naturalize), but if you don't draw them, you can't rely on your creatures to be answers. Obviously in the game that I won, I drew one of my two Naturalize and just blew him out in combat, but I couldn't make that happen in two out of three games.

It's so frustrating to watch, because I go back and I look at those tournaments, and the guys I lose to almost never actually win the tournament. They win 1-2 matches, but almost never 3. I'm somewhat obsessive about tracking whether or not I lost to the best deck in the draft, not that it really matters (oh look, the guy I was just talking about just got blown out in two games - I guess his opponent drew the right removal). I've only ever lost to the best deck in the draft once - and it wasn't an Aura deck! It was a properly built limited deck with a good curve and a balance of strong creatures and removal. So these all-in decks certainly end up getting punished by the time it's all said and done, but so far I'm having the good fortune of being their punching bag on the way.

Okay okay I'll stop. I know I'm just being really salty and complaining about variance like every other draft scrub out there. But I have feelings too, okay? Let me get my nerd rage out, and I'll go back to constructed where I belong. :)

WanderingWind

You may have had a bad run, but you've never made it to an on-camera Legacy final and lose a game because you forgot to pay for Slaughter Pact.

Top Bottom