• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Exokell

Banned
http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/gptor12/welcome#dl

Edel won the tournament with it. It showed up once Lingering Souls started being played in "Jundk."

december 2012? thats like half year later, besides he only played it due to lingering(answer to something popular) and he only played 2. Anyway were talking about stormbreath,

Cards cannot be evaluated in vacuums.
You need to look at the most powerful removal spells and creatures in the upcoming format. Then you'll realize why most competitive groups are freaking out over stormbreath.

after rotation: dreadbore, mizzium, doom blade, edicts(far/way, devour),abrupt decay, supreme, celestial flare, turn/burn, putrefy, bounce spells(simic charm) etc. except abrupt and all white cards that target, hes dead to all.

after rotation: dreadbore, mizzium, doom blade, edicts(far/way, devour),abrupt decay, supreme, celestial flare, turn/burn, putrefy, bounce spells(simic charm) etc. except abrupt and all white cards that target, hes dead to all.

The "dies to removal" argument is tired and pointless. Every creature dies to removal. The point is that this guy hoses the color that is best suited to answer him.

Zocano

Sorry, I haven't been posting much (I never do, really), but I've been following the thread constantly nonetheless.

Stormbreath Dragon looks so tasty but dropping $80 for a set hurts me too much so I just bought 2 for now and hopefully can trade for another 1 or 2 during release/afterwards.

I'm planning on switching to Grixis control from the looks of things and from what you guys have said. Or maybe I'll stick to Jund. Jund looks great but removal doesn't seem as strong as Grixis (which isn't as strong as UWx), but I'll play the deck anyway.

Modern says hi.

So those 3 Thundermaws I have lying around aren't going to collect binder dust forever?

edit: And as most people have been saying, I absolutely love the flavor of this set. It's dripping with flavor, it makes me all giddy.

Lucario

The "dies to removal" argument is tired and pointless. Every creature dies to removal. The point is that this guy hoses the color that is best suited to answer him.

especially when most of his removal examples are in colors without much control support, don't work at all (abrupt decay), or are sorceries

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The best removal in modern is Path.

Dodge path = win.

rCIZZLE

I don't know whether or not the new dragon will be as good as the hype, but if it stays at $20 then any that I pull will be placed directly on page 1 of my trade binder.

Exokell

Banned
I only answered his statement: "You need to look at the most powerful removal spells and creatures in the upcoming format"

bigkrev

Number crunch on Salvation has apparently ruled out Nimbus Maze and Horizon Canopy, so those 2 cycles are out.

I haven't looked into it yet, but what are control decks looking like with Theros release?

Click back a page or 2 to see the work Lucario is putting into U/W control

y2dvd

Celestial Flare is the only white card outside of Wraith effects that I could think of that can still hit Stormbreath if it attacks alone. I honestly fear it's going to shut down anything white too well.

Exokell

Banned
Number crunch on Salvation has apparently ruled out Nimbus Maze and Horizon Canopy, so those 2 cycles are out.

Click back a page or 2 to see the work Lucario is putting into U/W control
The rumour wasnt suggesting the cards themselves but horizon/nimbus-esqe lands. I bet its gonna be like devotion, if your bla bla this land produces this mana bla bla. sacrifice to deal 2 damage/draw card/gain 5 life or some shit.

Celestial Flare is the only white card outside of Wraith effects that I could think of that can still hit Stormbreath if it attacks alone. I honestly fear it's going to shut down anything white too well.
yeah its a good sideboard card.

That is good. Works against hexproof as well.

This is the first time I've been at the beginning of a block since I've started playing Standard. I'm kind of excited... but also anxious. I expect that I will be spending a lot of money on the "best" deck.
A positive thing is that the 'investment' will last longer since these cards will have a long time in Standard. Though I did manage to only buy cards that would be good post-rotation.
I'd be happy if I could stick to black / red but I'm willing to try new things.

Lucario

I want my gat dang lands
That is good. Works against hexproof as well.

This is the first time I've been at the beginning of a block since I've started playing Standard. I'm kind of excited... but also anxious. I expect that I will be spending a lot of money on the "best" deck.
A positive thing is that the 'investment' will last longer since these cards will have a long time in Standard. Though I did manage to only buy cards that would be good post-rotation.
I'd be happy if I could stick to black / red but I'm willing to try new things.

B/R is going to be pretty damn good. If you plan on doing any testing with cerberus supplimenting derg as a finisher, LMK how it turns out, because I don't have anything conclusive yet.

bigkrev

Regardless of what these lands are, i'm pretty sure we are getting the Magical Christmasland of Fetches plus Shocks for a few months when M15 comes out

Lucario

Regardless of what these lands are, i'm pretty sure we are getting the Magical Christmasland of Fetches plus Shocks for a few months when M15 comes out

5 color aggro
all day
every day.

Foil out my manabase. Korean OG shocks, japanese foil fetches, like two guru lands.

Then play white bordered reprints of vanilla creatures and flip a table when I go 0-1.

Lucario

t1 island, realmwright (mountain)
t2 nykthos, burning-tree emissary x4, utvara hellkite

make obscene gestures

realize you're santa

bigkrev

5 color aggro
all day
every day.

Foil out my manabase. Korean OG shocks, japanese foil fetches, like two guru lands.

Then play white bordered reprints of vanilla creatures and flip a table when I go 0-1.

yeah. like super grimey 8th edition Suntail Hawk!

Haha. In-color color hosers.

lT6DM7tsYKm_EN_LR.jpg
KXUilSxitbG_EN_LR.jpg
d3naE21OYab_EN_LR.jpg

fTMW4dJvSUI_EN_LR.jpg
GwDIaujEOVN_EN_LR.jpg

And the other planeswalker:

WKUKaH6Fkuj_EN_LR.jpg

And another dude:

IHLxeqqk1jl_EN_LR.jpg

bigkrev

WKUKaH6Fkuj_EN_LR.jpg

While her middle ability is useless, this is a fine sideboard card for control mirrors. Not sure if it's better than Big Jace though.

Also, did anyone else know we were getting a 3rd Walker?

Haly

What the fuck.

He should be at fucking 2 mana for this load of bollocks.

ultron87

Well I guess with Drownyard being gone Blue Black has to have something to kill with.

There's going to be a Grand Prix in Cincinnti next year!

Zocano

I was walking home today and thinking about possible plainswalker color combos that we could see. The one I deduced was most likely was UB. And I got really really excited.

I'm really sad now, though. I really am. He (she?) doesn't look terrible. Just not very... good.

An-Det

WKUKaH6Fkuj_EN_LR.jpg

While her middle ability is useless, this is a fine sideboard card for control mirrors. Not sure if it's better than Big though.

Also, did anyone else know we were getting a 3rd Walker?

I really like her, definitely solid, if different.

What are you planning on playing?

I can't go, but if I were going I'd be playing Punishing Jund. Been playing it for a while, it's so much fun.

Lucario

I like all of these.

Spikey but not even remotely oppressive color hosers

A very silly planeswalker with an obscene amount of loyalty to make up for his bizarre ability set. I need to test with her pretty much immediately, because she's basically 'gain 5-7 life, maybe get a creature for free' against aggro decks. A three mana planeswalker who sits at 5 loyalty the turn you play her? Capable of generating CA?

She's ridiculous in so many ways. Maybe not ridiculously good, but easily playable in certain matchups. One hell of a 'superfriends' walker.

Also, THE MURDER KING.

I didn't even read the card. Just the name.

THE. MURDER. KING.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
"Unreal" meaning "I can't believe they wasted a Planeswalker on this piece of crap?"

I mean, if they made it cost UB instead of 1UB, it would still be terrible, but at least it would be interesting.

It's a drownyard replacement, it means we are in for another year of control deck mirrors slowly milling each other to death and another year of painfully boring competitive tournament matches to watch.

EDIT: The new legend rule makes this even worse.

Ugh. UGH.

bigkrev

The Color Hosers are pretty nice. Gainsay probably replaces Dispel in most sideboards, stopping pretty much anything of note a U/x deck can throw at it. Depending on how the Metagame goes, the red one could end up maindeckable.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Well, that is easily the worst batch of spoilers I've ever seen. More so than the basic lands.

What the unholy fuck were they thinking wasting a PW slot on that piece of shit?

Edit: oh a repeatable sign in blood and life gain hosed for 3 is fucking awesome. Nvm

Haly

WOW.

THAT BLACK GOD.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

ARE YOU SHITTING ME WIZARDS.

ARE YOU FUCKING SHITTING ME.

Exokell

Banned
you still need to tap 2 mana for you to draw 1 card, the erebos seem god or ok.
That opponent cant gain life is intriguing though.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Also I don't think the new PW will be a Drownyard replacement. At least, it won't be nearly as strong, just because it is feasibly possible to actually get rid of the damn thing.

Zocano

That was the fastest swing from disappointment to HOLY SHIT I've had in a long time. I was really anxious about how the Black god would turn out and I'm really really pleased with it.

Lucario

Ashiok gets better every time I reread her.

Against control, she's a slightly easier to deal with Drownyard that'll cast a win condition from your opponent's deck if left unchecked.

Against aggro, she either 'gains' you 5-7 life or,,, wins you the game.

Against midrange, GG. She just crushes midrange strategies. Cast one of your opponent's creatures -- even if it's something to just chump with -- and you're in an extremely favorable position. As in... you pretty much win. She just gets loyalty too fast for a cheap walker. If you don't dreadbore her, you kind of lose.

Follow her up with supreme verdict, get her back up to 4-5 loyalty from the previous turn's attack, then start casting my opponent's creatures for free? Okay. Yeah.

She's hard to evaluate... but that's a lot of potential from such a cheap walker.

Top Bottom