• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Lucario

erebros seems like he's halfway between greed and azure mage

dno how impressed I am with him, but he's cool and will see a ton of EDH play

erebros seems like he's halfway between greed and azure mage

dno how impressed I am with him, but he's cool and will see a ton of EDH play

That will be his home, where there is loads of extra life and mana to play with.

In Standard; I dunno - maybe? 2 life per card actually adds up pretty quickly.

Zocano

Yah I've been thinking over what cards black has at its disposal and even with just Thoughtseize and Read the Bones, (plus shock lands if you're not monoblack) will eat at your life incredibly quickly.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
You're obviously not playing erebos against an agro deck, it's for control mirrors, and in that he's nuts. Also Esper is now officially the shit.

kirblar

140.jpg

Wasn't playable.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yah I've been thinking over what cards black has at its disposal and even with just Thoughtseize and Read the Bones, (plus shock lands if you're not monoblack) will eat at your life incredibly quickly.

Well, read the bones got much less playable. Meanwhile, between Erby and Thoughtseize, I'll have all the cards and they will have none.

All black needs now is a BSZ or Mutilate and we have a deck

Zocano

Well, read the bones got much less playable. Meanwhile, between Erby and Thoughtseize, I'll have all the cards and they will have none.

All black needs now is a BSZ or Mutilate and we have a deck

Next thing you know, they'll reprint Damnation. Black'll have its field day.

And how do you mean it got less playable?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't understand how the Magic card pre-sale market works when literally nobody can agree that any particular card is good, bad, terrible or incredible.

kirblar

do not preorder anything unless

1: it's obvious. See: dragon.
2: you've playtested a ton.
Preorder good cards with tons of text on them asap: Jace 4 and DRS fall into this camp. People have a harder time processing them. I got my DRSes for 4 each.

WanderingWind

Next thing you know, they'll reprint Damnation. Black'll have its field day.

And how do you mean it got less playable?

I can't see running more than one card draw for life card, right? Thoughtseize is an auto 4 of, so you have to mitigate lifeloss.

Between the two 9/10 times, I'll take the indestructible, repeatable, also a hefty beater for 4 vice the Sign in Blood. I know there will exceptions, though I can't think of any where I'd take read over Erby.

And if they reprinted Damnation I'd about cream myself.

And yeah Erebos looks nuts. With the new land and some solid two black CMCs drops, you could generate some nice card advantage.

Think plainswalkers go Nightmare lady then satyr then Elspeth.

Nightmare lady is good due to her mana cost and ability to steadily mill the opponent. Really good way to screw over the people running scryers.

OnPoint

Ashiok is unreal.

In what way? I mean, mill now has a dedicated PW threat I guess. I don't see how this is going to be super relevant, though I've been wrong before.

Also, I'm sick of walkers that mix black. And we already had a black blue one. How about a blue green one? How about a green white one? So stupid.

Because getting rid of 5 loyalty turn 3 is a whole lot harder than getting rid of 5 loyalty turn 4. And with scry, allows her to screw over there rigging and then sac her to cast one of there heavy powerful two to three drops.

kirblar

Ashiok is essentially a mirrored version of my GDS2 planewalker. Same +2 and -X, just inverted onto the opponent rather than milling yourself and reanimating.

Trust me, she's good.

Yeah, look at how hard it is to kill LotV once she got started. Once she got settled in, she could stay forever unless the user saced her themself.

Even if this thing has a one turn presence, being able to steal a powerful three or two drop creature, hell even four drop can be devastating.

Lucario

And this is why you guys are better at evaluating cards than I am.

I thought Tibalt was broken because I was stoned and thought I got to choose the card to discard. I preordered four.

Trust me, I'm not.

kirblar has been pretty on the money with predictions in this thread though

Also I think people are undervaluing Polukranos. His monstrous ability is kinda good and whole lot easier to cast than the others.

Also lets see how the minotaurs/other tribals shape up and then get some mutavaults. Get some solid cheap beasters to go along with reckoner and use the two lords to smash face and it may be a thing.

Also I think people may want to grab up that new legendary land for Modern. May actually give Modern Elves the material they need to appear. With the G/U glimpse of nature from RTR block.

Exokell

Banned
Ashiok is essentially a mirrored version of my GDS2 planewalker. Same +2 and -X, just inverted onto the opponent rather than milling yourself and reanimating.

Trust me, she's good.
it does nothing, the cards horrible.

Edit: at best its a sideboard card, and Jace memory adept is still in standard.

bigkrev

Actually, buried the headline Today

They are getting rid of Saturday registration for GPs. You need to register online or on site on Friday

WanderingWind

The -X is spectacularly good.

If you mill a creature. If the player has zero presence on board and you have a blocker. If he has no burn. If you manage all that, and you milled a decent creature, then it's pretty good. For three mana and two turns you played domestication. Maybe.

Now, with all the scary, the first ability isn't horrific, but I mean...it's mill. Who is really worried about mill?

kirblar

Actually, buried the headline Today

They are getting rid of Saturday registration for GPs. You need to register online or on site on Friday
Team Sealed GPs are now 100% sealed with a new deck on day 2. Playoffs remain draft.

Prize pools are massively raised. Online registration for all GPs. Huge net upgrade.

Exokell

Banned
The -X is spectacularly good.
the problem is the opponent can see what you exiled, so youve already been read. At best this card is a distraction.

If you mill a creature. If the player has zero presence on board and you have a blocker. If he has no burn. If you manage all that, and you milled a decent creature, then it's pretty good. For three mana and two turns you played domestication. Maybe.

Now, with all the scary, the first ability isn't horrific, but I mean...it's mill. Who is really worried about mill?

I would only care if its jace memory adept.

Also I hope theres a mill strategy in theros block, like there was in ISD. Fucking ISD was so awesome. Only MMA made me feel I had fun in a limited environment from the recent released blocks.

Even then, going to pull resources off of dealing damage to the player and if don't then the aggro player will have to deal with one of its own big bodies.

Also 5 loyalty will be annoying to deal with.

It is meant to stall the aggro player, and deny the deck rigging control provides.

WanderingWind

Even then, going to pull resources off of dealing damage to the player and if don't then the aggro player will have to deal with one of its own big bodies.

Also 5 loyalty will be annoying to deal with.

It is meant to stall the aggro player, and deny the deck rigging control provides.

Aggro will have zero problems having multiple threats on board. A bad player will worry about killing her. A good player will manage her into irrelevancy.

Crocodile

I'm 99% sure Ashiok is male. Magic art isn't known for its androgyny, people are usually clearly male or female. I'd just like to know what he is. A Returned?

Anyway, I'm not interested in calling the card SNAP trash/incredible but it certainly is an interesting design. I want to think it over. Erebos seems like a ton of mana/life to work as a card advantage engine, I can't say I'm super impressed. The new hate cycle seems needlessly narrow but they will probably see play. I'm glad the white one is a sorcery, it always felt like Celestial Purge was pushed being an instant.

Haly's reactions are fun to read :p

kirblar

I'm 99% sure Ashiok is male. Magic art isn't known for its androgyny, people are usually clearly male or female. I'd just like to know what he is. A Returned?

Anyway, I'm not interested in calling the card SNAP trash/incredible but it certainly is an interesting design. I want to think it over. Erebos seems like a ton of mana/life to work as a card advantage engine, I can't say I'm super impressed. The new hate cycle seems needlessly narrow but they will probably see play. I'm glad the white one is a sorcery, it always felt like Celestial Purge was pushed being an instant.

Haly's reactions are fun to read :p
Definitely a male, but for some reason the art reads female.

Lucario

lol that's my line too (for a personal playset.)

well, mine's a personal playset too, but 50% because "this is so cool" and 50% "this might be really expensive and it's fun enough to warrant trying even if it isn't"

the only card I spec bought was underworld cerberus, which I'm not about to recommend to the rest of gaf because the potential gain isn't high enough with dragon in the format

y2dvd

I need to get me a set of Dreadbore with all these PWs that's going to be available.

Super friends time! Both Jaces, Ashiok, Elspeth, Supreme Verdict, Cyclonic Rifts, all backed up with counter and removal spells. Planning to go to turns every FNM lol. Now it's a matter of obtaining all those PWs...

Ringo

Is it me or does this set looks like everything is drawn by using the same artist and computer?

Maybe I'm too nostalgic...Rebecca Guay, Phil Foglio, Richard Kane Ferguson, where are thou?

Top Bottom