• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

ultron87

VSp6Cfd.jpg

Fleecemane Lion (MTGS translation) GW
Creature - Cat
3GW - Monstrous 1.
As long as Fleecemane Lion is Monstrous, it has hexproof and indestructible.

3/3

Watchwolf really hit the gym. And the salon. That hair.

So unless Populate becomes a thing this certainly replaces Call of the Conclave in a GW aggro deck (with Voice as the other two drop, presumably). Though Scavenging Ooze probably also has a place.

JulianImp

So... a new card has been spoiled in japanese, it seems.
Fleecemane Lion
Creature - Cat (Rare)
GW
3GW - Monstrous 1.
3/3
Seriously? I remember when everybody was drooling over Watchwolf. Now it isn't that powerful, but it's still perfectly serviceable early on, and becomes nearly unkillable late-game, even if it doesn't get that large.

I'm digging the new PW, but I'm probably not going to be getting too many of them, since I'm kind of bad at opening mythics in packs, much less planeswalkers. The ultimate is ridiculously bad, though, and the card always need at least a turn to set up before it can impact the board at all, so I'm not sure if it's going to be that powerful for now.

EDIT: Beaten!

bigkrev

Fleecemane Lion (MTGS translation) GW
Creature - Cat
3GW - Monstrous 1.

3/3

Watchwolf really hit the gym. And the salon. That hair.

So unless Populate becomes a thing this certainly replaces Call of the Conclave in a GW aggro deck (with Voice as the other two drop, presumably). Though Scavenging Ooze probably also has a place.

iCant

no

why

Stuff like this makes me want to quit

y2dvd

So you can't Wraith, Exile, or put minus counters on it once it's monstrous? It also plays alongside Voice? It's good early and late game? My gawd.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
iCant

no

why

Stuff like this makes me want to quit

He doesn't become a real threat until turn 5, you have all the opportunities in the world to get rid of it (including in response to them turning on monstrous) so it's no biggy.

ultron87

Why does a lion have a mane made out of fleece? I dunno the flavor reason.

I thought that was weird way to translate it too but on further research it seems "fleece" doesn't necessarily have to be wool. The obvious myth they are doing here is the Nemean lion but I guess with the name they could be tossing in reference to the Golden Fleece as well.

And this isn't the official english name, of course.

Grakl

I thought that was weird way to translate it too but on further research it seems "fleece" doesn't necessarily have to be wool. The obvious myth they are doing here is the Nemean lion but I guess with the name they could be referencing the Golden Fleece as well.

And this isn't the official english name, of course.
Gotcha. Didn't know it wasn't the official name, maybe it'll be more clear.

I actually kinda like the cat. It's designed to be upgraded into a vessel that can hold a bunch of Auras, but the opponent still has time to shut it down, creating a sort of tension.

Not a bad design for a potentially constructed-viable card.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ashiok gets better every time I reread her.

Against control, she's a slightly easier to deal with Drownyard that'll cast a win condition from your opponent's deck if left unchecked.

Against aggro, she either 'gains' you 5-7 life or,,, wins you the game.

Against midrange, GG. She just crushes midrange strategies. Cast one of your opponent's creatures -- even if it's something to just chump with -- and you're in an extremely favorable position. As in... you pretty much win. She just gets loyalty too fast for a cheap walker. If you don't dreadbore her, you kind of lose.

Follow her up with supreme verdict, get her back up to 4-5 loyalty from the previous turn's attack, then start casting my opponent's creatures for free? Okay. Yeah.

She's hard to evaluate... but that's a lot of potential from such a cheap walker.

I agree. Definitely getting a playset of Ashiok early because people are seriously underrating the card.

Lucario

I just played a U/R deck -- completely insane, by the way, with ~9 pieces of solid removal and two volcanic geysers -- against W/B Archangel of Thune.

In M14 limited.

Round one took an hour, lost right before time, but holy crap that was the best match I ever played in this format.

I got value out of Young Pyro early on -- because why the hell not -- and baited him into using removal on it.

Then I ran out my big creatures, which he couldn't handle until he played out his archangel + healer combo and stomped me. Even after I got off a claustraphobia. Oh well.

Next game I held shock in my hand for the intimidate 3/2 and Chandra's Outrage to respond to his first +1/+1 counter trigger with.

He casts a tutor on turn 4, so I start holding up mana to prevent myself from losing to Archangel -- I mean, he ran out a copy of the 1/1 healer, so what else is he gonna grab?

After a few turns of him just running out normal creatures, I EOT frost breath his atackers so I can start getting in with my sideboarded copy of Academy Raider. I draw into some more lands, which lets me slowly run out fliers! Super happy about it.

Then I realize he might not have grabbed archangel.

He blows his load on removal spells for my Dragon Hatchlings -- which are insane, btw -- and forced me to play out my fat creatures.

Then he played what he actually tutored for.

Planar Cleansing, with 3 cards in his hand to my 0.

I am fucking impressed.

ultron87

That sounds like a pretty good game.

Searing Spear's death was greatly exaggerated. Sweet art. Sad it couldn't just be Bolt. And their supply of things to name red burn spells continues to decrease.

JulianImp

That sounds like a pretty good game.

Searing Spear's death was greatly exaggerated. Sweet art. Sad it couldn't just be Bolt. And their supply of things to name red burn spells continues to decrease.

A foil one of these probably locks slick!

Hopefully, I'll end up opening enough of these to run in my deck. I seriously only managed to get a single Searing Spear though its stay in standard...

So, my U/R deck will be losing three very relevant cards to rotation soon (Snapcaster, Faithless Looting and Pillar of Flame), but I don't know what I could replace them with. Magma Jet looks like an obvious addition, but so far no cards in the post-Theros standard appear to offer my deck the raw card-sifting power (and double Snipe/Pyromancer triggers) that Faithless Looting afforded me... I guess I'll end up playing less into feeding my graveyard and more into just packing the spells that give the the best bang for my buck, but I'll probably miss the Looting/Snap engine dearly.

Lucario

Searing Spear reprint is pretty huge. 3 toughness creatures just got weaker.

The cat is still, of course, pretty freakin' good. You just wait until your opponent's end step to activate the ability now.

I should also mention that good monsters make cards like Nykthos waaaaaay better, but their own restrictive mana costs make it worse. Oh well. 3 color aggro is a thing in block constructed with just guildgates and shocks.

Domri Rade Naya is going to be a little bit unfair. Just sayin'.

Lucario

And is objectively worse than mono red or GW aggro.

Not even slightly true. A lot of selesnya aggro decks you seen in dailies these days also run red for Aurelia, Domri, Mizziuim Mortars, and the ability to squeeze in Boros Reckoner.

They beat UW less often, but they stomp all over the other aggro decks. I suppose they're more of a "big" build in that they're aggro midrange, rather than straight up aggro, but calling them objectively worse is wrong.

edit: They're also kind of fundamentally different decks, so yeah, I'm wrong to say they're just "running red for extra cards."

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Not even slightly true. A lot of selesnya aggro decks you seen in dailies these days also run red for Aurelia, Domri, Mizziuim Mortars, and the ability to squeeze in Boros Reckoner.

They beat UW less often, but they stomp all over the other aggro decks.

They don't play red at all

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/block

Edit: Since mono red is arguably the best deck in block constructed, you have to prepare your deck against Burning Earth. That's why I think GW is better.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm going to the first post-Theros FNM with mono red and/or R/B control.

It's going to be awesome and I'm going to win all the things.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Do not look at mtggoldfish to get a glance of any meta. The archtypes are at best skewed and at worst completely incorrect or out of date.

http://www.mtgtop8.com/format?f=BL

This is what the format actually looks like.

Both websites collect the same data.

Both websites have Mono Red, GW aggro, Esper, and Grixis control as the most popular decks. I'm not even sure why mtgtop8 includes Esper under Azorius when they've differentiated Grixis.

Lucario

Both websites collect the same data.

Both websites have Mono Red, GW aggro, Esper, and Grixis control as the most popular decks. I'm not even sure why mtgtop8 includes Esper under Azorius when they've differentiated Grixis.

Most popular =\= best performing
Naya aggro is even listed on mtggoldfish, but many of its variants -- which have been taking quite a few top 8s recently -- are misclassified as selesnya aggro. This is true of both MTGGoldfish and MTGTop8, but at least MTGTop8 gives you an easy way to look at recent results and lists.

I'm just saying that three color aggro is a deck that performs reasonably well and is not objectively worse than the straight-up GW version. There's nothing to argue here.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Most popular =\= best performing
Naya aggro is even listed on the website you sent me.

What? There are two different instances of Naya archetypes decks listed on that site. Maybe you missed it because you didn't scroll down to the third row.

Modo players are a bunch of tryhards, block constructed is probably the easiest format to go infinite in. If Naya aggro was the best deck, everyone would've flocked over to it.

Edit: Goldfish also keeps recent data to showcase the current meta, I'm not sure how long until they wipe everything and start over collecting data.

Lucario

What? There are two different instances of Naya archetypes decks listed on that site. Maybe you missed it because you didn't scroll down to the third row.

Modo players are a bunch of tryhards, block constructed is probably the easiest format to go infinite in. If Naya aggro was the best deck, everyone would've flocked over to it.

I said is. Not isn't. I didn't miss anything.

I also never said it was the best deck, or anything that implies such.

the only card I spec bought was underworld cerberus, which I'm not about to recommend to the rest of gaf because the potential gain isn't high enough with dragon in the format

I'm debating running him in my B/R deck... I got sniped out of an eBay auction at the last minute while I was driving home from work. But maybe it was for the better, I am starting to have second thoughts about him..

y2dvd

Oh wow, I misread Puphoros. I thought it was whenever you cast a creature, but its just an ETB check

R/G tokens here I come

Yep, so imagine flickering all of your weenie boros creatures with Legions Initiative or producing a crap load of tokens with Assemble the Legions. It will be interesting to see the first wave of decks when rotation hits lol.

f0rk

attachment.php

Not sure if it's competitively costed but fun idea. I wonder if it not being legendary is deliberate, seems like it would be pretty ridiculous in EDH.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wow, UG actually got something.

Kind of like Seedborn Muse and Yeva had a lovechild.

Lucario

You do not want this as a general.

I do!

But my general is Norin. I need a replacement that does silly things and plays politics.

I'd play zero counterspells, but bluff the fuck out of them. Maybe one force of will which I'd only play when tapped out.

Yeef

attachment.php

Not sure if it's competitively costed but fun idea. I wonder if it not being legendary is deliberate, seems like it would be pretty ridiculous in EDH.
This card is perfect for my Bant creature-only deck I've been planning.

Top Bottom