• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Lucario

This is for MODO.

I don't know anything about the MODO economy, sorry :(

I will say that picking up more precinct captains is probably a good idea right now, though. It's been seeing play in U/W control sideboards, white weenie, boros/x midrange, etc.

I'll try to find out what it's selling for on the event site, but it's $1 on tcgplayer right now, with the only seller with quantity having it at ~$2.50

edit: haly, looks like your deck (or something similar) is onstream
edit2: nvm completely different sorry

joelseph

I think a card that is not seeing play in Monsters and is flying well under the radar right now is Arbor Colossus. You can pick up a play set for a couple bucks.

As the meta settles down I can see some form of R/G on top and Arbor Colossus could rise.

kirblar

I think a card that is not seeing play in Monsters and is flying well under the radar right now is Arbor Colossus. You can pick up a play set for a couple bucks.

As the meta settles down I can see some form of R/G on top and Arbor Colossus could rise.
I got a playset of that and Sphinx 2 weeks ago for 1.50 for each of em. :)

Yeef

I feel both excellent and awful. Tonight's draft, a guy that's just getting back into magic passed me a thoughtseize. I took it for value even though I was running [near] mono-green. Did an intentional draw at 2-0 and got another Thoughtseize and a Purphoros in my prize packs.

An-Det

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";85740061]AGHAGHAHG my cards were shipped to the wrong address and the tournament in on sunday :-([/QUOTE]

I know the feeling. I made an order last Wednesday night, figuring the cards would be here for the event tomorrow. It was 2 sellers, same order, same shipping speed, both from CA. One arrived on Monday, the other hasn't had a usps shipping site update in a week and still says "Depart USPS Sort Facility". Not cool.

So I drafted a sweet RW aggro deck with both the Hammer and the Spear. Smashed my opponent in round one. Mulled to five, six, and four in round two just to find lands (obviously did not win round two). I probably could have kept the dangerous seven in game three (it had two mountains, but the other five spells were white), but my opponent was also very aggressive. I'm pretty sure the mulligan was correct, but it felt really bad.

And I know myself - I have to cool down before jumping back in. I can handle my opponent topdecking the nuts, or me bricking on draws, but for some reason mulliganing into oblivion to find lands still puts me incredibly on tilt.

Looking back though, my record so far with Theros has actually been pretty good. Only one 3-0 so far, but I've only done worse than 2-1 in 3 out of the 10 drafts I've done so far (including MTGO and paper).

zoukka

So I drafted a sweet RW aggro deck with both the Hammer and the Spear. Smashed my opponent in round one. Mulled to five, six, and four in round two just to find lands (obviously did not win round two). I probably could have kept the dangerous seven in game three (it had two mountains, but the other five spells were white), but my opponent was also very aggressive. I'm pretty sure the mulligan was correct, but it felt really bad.

And I know myself - I have to cool down before jumping back in. I can handle my opponent topdecking the nuts, or me bricking on draws, but for some reason mulliganing into oblivion to find lands still puts me incredibly on tilt.

Looking back though, my record so far with Theros has actually been pretty good. Only one 3-0 so far, but I've only done worse than 2-1 in 3 out of the 10 drafts I've done so far (including MTGO and paper).

Yeah one shouldn't even dream of going infinite because then that mentality will cause tilts once you lose three drafts in a row for mana screw :) If you happen to stay afloat and not spending tix, great! But we should all face the fact that many games are pre-determined.

On that note, I jumped into 8-4 because I want to get to town early, but I managed to win my first round! With my favourite deck type too, UG ramp. Sea god's revenge is unbeatable yo and my sideboard has hunt the hunter, gainsay, shredding winds and bunch of enchantment removal :DDDD

EDIT: Aaaaaaaaaaand speak of the fucking devil.

Game 2:

First round one island, all my UU cards in hand.
Second round two forests and a satyr. Didn't draw an island during the whole match. Died with 7 blue cards in hand.

Oh and did I mention I mulliganed in both games from 1 lander and 0 lander.

Tilt time once again.

8lfKsc4.png

It's one of the reasons why I often just draft Swiss. I think it's a huge trap (in terms of overall happiness, if that makes any sense) to look at drafts just in terms of their financial EV. The draft itself, including the drafting, deckbuilding, and playing the games - those all have value. They aren't just activities that you do because you can win some money. The game of Magic itself should be something you love doing.

In fact, the only reason I draft 8-4 at all is to challenge myself by playing against better players. The added value can be nice, but the whole "one and done" thing means I don't get to learn as much, play as much, etc. I don't know if my RW deck was a good deck that got screwed, or if it was going to lose anyway because it wasn't that good of a deck to begin with. Et cetera.

I know there are a lot of people who get value from drafting by winning and getting the greatest financial benefit from those wins as is possible. I'm not one of those. I love playing Magic - I love the challenge of drafting, and finding sweet things to do with otherwise "bad" cards. Yes, I love winning. But the prizes I get for winning are second to the experience of drafting, playing, and then winning.

Zur the Enchanter exploded, btw. Pick it up now if humanly possible.

For Commander, I assume? I figured that anyone who played Commander would have known to go out and buy one as soon as they announced Theros as the "enchantment block."

The Adder

Banned
So, I ran a Frankenstein of an exsanguination deck at FNM standard tonight and did pretty well. BUw, 1 Erebos, 2 Crypt Ghasts, and 4 Grey Merchants being the only creatures in the deck.

Gimme the rundown on monogreen!

It has a light red splash. It ramps with Sylvan Caryatid and Voyaging Satyr. Scavenging Ooze because it's good. Uses Nykthos for insane value. Burning-Tree Emissary is basically a Dark Ritual if you have a Nykthos out. Xenagos also provides extra mana since you have loads of mana dudes, or just spits out tokens. Big Garruk cheats out fatties or refills your hand. Nylea will almost always have devotion. Polukranos is awesome, and Arbor Colossus is fat and swats down fliers. Mizzium Mortars is too efficient to not consider. Et cetera.

It's been featured twice on the stream so far; you can catch it on the Twitch archives.

zoukka

It has a light red splash. It ramps with Sylvan Caryatid and Voyaging Satyr. Scavenging Ooze because it's good. Uses Nykthos for insane value. Burning-Tree Emissary is basically a Dark Ritual if you have a Nykthos out. Xenagos also provides extra mana since you have loads of mana dudes, or just spits out tokens. Big Garruk cheats out fatties or refills your hand. Nylea will almost always have devotion. Polukranos is awesome, and Arbor Colossus is fat and swats down fliers. Mizzium Mortars is too efficient to not consider. Et cetera.

It's been featured twice on the stream so far; you can catch it on the Twitch archives.

Yeah so it's a R/G variant, not a monogreen, you got me excited there :)

Yeah so it's a R/G variant, not a monogreen, you got me excited there :)

It's very, very different from the RG decks. I believe the only red cards are Xenagos and Mortars. The RG decks have Domri, Stormbreath, etc.

It's not technically mono-green, but it is a devotion-to-green deck.

y2dvd

Went 4-0 in FNM last night with Team America. Played against Simic which has potential, monoblack which I think is behind mono red and green and maybe even white (with I guess now mono blue). I had high hopes for monoblack but it underperforms so far in playtests. Whip of Erebos was a nightmare to deal with though whenever it was out. Played against G/W aggro in the finals which is scary. Big and cheap creatures. Fleecemane Lion demands an answer by T5. All the flashes like Advent of the Wurm, Boon Satyr, and Selesnya Charm makes me think Swan Song earns a spot in my sideboard. Ratchet Bomb was a great sideboard for their tokens.

Good lawd Jace AoT is now $40. I should've jumped on him when he was only $12.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sad to see Master of Waves dropping despite the decks doing well.

I'm glad Mono-U devotion is a real deck though.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
alright, guys and gals, I need some help making a deck with some interesting limits:

My buddies and I have played Magic for over a decade, but with all of us growing out of adolescence and into traditional family roles, we have grown out of magic. We are trying to remedy this by building all new decks.

The rules are:

1 - playset (4) of any one card allowed
1 - 3-card set of any one card
2 - 2-card sets of any one card
Only singles allowed from there on out.
No planeswalkers (this is MAGIC, DAMMIT!)
No limit on land
has to be at least 60 card deck.

Help me make the best thing ever!

I have a ton of red, since it was almost always my primary deck choice, so that would be an easy way to build without spending a ton of cash, but I don't necessarily want to pigeonhole this deck into any color or style.

Blue/Red would be budget friendly, and would help with counters and tomfoolery, but I am open to anywhere I should look.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Bought my first Theros box. Why do I buy boxes?

1 Foil Stormbreath
1 Foil Elspeth
2 Thassa
1 Erebos
2 Whip
2 Thoughtseize
3 Bidents

That's why

Lucario

it feels so good to be wrong
this meta looks astoundingly fun
I'm sure U/W gets better now that decks like mono blue devotion exist -- verdict is actually something you want to cast now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I congratulate myself on testing at least two of those decks shortly after Theros released on MODO.

Top Bottom