• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Silver border cards are technically illegal even in casual. Definitely ask the other players before the start of the game. If they do allow it and you win expect the following week to be a shit show. There are game breaking silver cards.

^^ Yeah, most groups have differing opinions on Un-card legality, so I'd definitely check it out with them.

Speaking of, I wish Goblin Bookie would see a non-silvered border reprint for my goofy Jhoria deck.

I don't see how the fundamental turn was brought down, unless you mean SnT, and even then i've got my doubts (Grizzly).

DRS let the midrange cards become playable in the format's timeframes and through it's mana disruption. Combo decks -with the help of some new technology and printings-compensated by just going off faster.

I know it's my opinion only that the sign of a unhealthy format is the lack of an creature based aggro deck. But I don't think I'm off at all in saying that the format has really sped up over the span between ACR and now.

My comparison about vintage is that vintage is a place where existing pillars are self-reinforcing and are so strong they largely prevent different approaches. I disagree with your assessment that the decks are either all linears or all hate. Some are definitely the former, but the latter definitely isn't the case.

ultron87

^^ Yeah, most groups have differing opinions on Un-card legality, so I'd definitely check it out with them.

Speaking of, I wish Goblin Bookie would see a non-silvered border reprint for my goofy Jhoria deck.

I want to build a Jhoira deck as my first EDH thing. I'm definitely not going to do the incredibly obvious and boring "Suspend Obliterate -> Suspend Eldrazi" plan. That doesn't sound fun for anyone. I'm guessing you're running a bunch of Scrambleverse-ish things? Don't know if quite that much chaos is what I'm going for. Not quite sure what my actual plan is for actually winning a game besides suspending things that are cool. And using cards to make them come off suspend faster.

Having never shopped for EDH stuff before I am really enjoying getting to pick up cards that have cool effects that I'd never play otherwise ever. Though I really should wait for the new deck's contents to be spoiled so I don't end up with extras since one would presume the Grixis deck would have some stuff I'd use.

I want to build a Jhoira deck as my first EDH thing. I'm definitely not going to do the incredibly obvious and boring "Suspend Obliterate -> Suspend Eldrazi" plan. That doesn't sound fun for anyone. I'm guessing you're running a bunch of Scrambleverse-ish things? Don't know if quite that much chaos is what I'm going for. Not quite sure what my actual plan is for actually winning a game besides suspending things that are cool. And using cards to make them come off suspend faster.

Having never shopped for EDH stuff before I am really enjoying getting to pick up cards that have cool effects that I'd never play otherwise ever. Though I really should wait for the new deck's contents to be spoiled so I don't end up with extras since one would presume the Grixis deck would have some stuff I'd use.

My original design for the deck was to make it as obnoxious as possible with Warp World and Scrambleverse type effects but let me tell you: it gets old quickly. Everyone stopping to read a paragraph of text 3 times, refusing to abide by your abridged explanations, and just the general flow of the game grinds to a screeching halt. Instead, I look for goofier, fun "enabler" effects like blue Braids, or targeted nuisances like Soldier of Fortune.

Virtually any general with R/U gets the job done, but Jhoria gives more room to work around mana screw, plus it can be fun to countdown some crazy effect, but I can see other generals working as well. Waiting for the new Commander decks should be a good idea, the last batch had pretty good value, and were fun to play and customize. No reason to suspect this batch won't be the same.

Karakand

If pure aggro run no answer cards, then you'll never get pure aggro in any format anymore. Red sligh days are long gone.

Even then, Sligh ran mana denial (especially Strip Mine and Wasteland, to a lesser extent Rishadan Port) and janky control cards like Meekstone or Ankh of Mishra.

Goofy red aggro-kinda control decks are far more interesting than what people idealize RDW to be (the original RDW maindecked Pillages IIRC, hardly a pure agro deck).

ultron87

Doubling Season that doesn't break Planeswalkers for everybody!

YSalLT2bpd_EN.jpg

Obviously worse than Doubling Season, but hey, now it can be quadrupling season.

How often are you generating excess white mana? Or drawing cheap spells that aren't doing anything? I almost wonder if something with Extort might be good for you, like a Blind Obedience or Syndic of Tithes or something.

The sad thing is that the white devotion cards just aren't very good in Theros. :( Also, it's somewhat amusing that Heliod isn't in that list.

My new favorite combo in Theros Draft: Aqueous Form on a Flamespeaker Adept.

I'm probably jinxing myself by posting before the finals is played out, but that combo singlehandedly brought me into the finals of this 8-4 against two straight green decks. They both had Bow of Nylea and Nylea's Disciple.

EDIT: We split. Fine by me; I'm hungry and ready for dinner. This was my deck:

xMdhqwm.png

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Doubling Season that doesn't break Planeswalkers for everybody!

YSalLT2bpd_EN.jpg

Obviously worse than Doubling Season, but hey, now it can be quadrupling season.

Yay. Doesn't replace DS in my heart, doesn't work in my Thallid deck (okay, as well) and it removes basically all of the unexpected interactions, but I'll probably grab a few.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
How often are you generating excess white mana? Or drawing cheap spells that aren't doing anything? I almost wonder if something with Extort might be good for you, like a Blind Obedience or Syndic of Tithes or something.

The sad thing is that the white devotion cards just aren't very good in Theros. :( Also, it's somewhat amusing that Heliod isn't in that list.

I'm never drawing excess white. The hilarious part is throwing down a Angel with Nykthos and an extra mana open for protection. The only iffy card in that list that is left over from when it was a devotion/heroic deck (Heliod just isn't very good) is Ethereal armor and Fabled Hero is the board. I don't really like either of those a ton, so I'm open to suggestions on those.

Anyone play vintage in here?

I'm putting together RUG for a tournament in two weeks.

yes, I don't play often here in the mid atlantic but I've smacked around paul mastriano and some other notables in some tourneys over the last year and a half or so.

I played a U/R Gush/Delver tempo list w/ Young Pyromancer at our last event and it was pretty fun. You could run the green for a maindeck grudge or two and nature's claim out of the board vs. shops or oath.

Lighting bolt is still my BFF in this format.

yes, I don't play often here in the mid atlantic but I've smacked around paul mastriano and some other notables in some tourneys over the last year and a half or so.

I played a U/R Gush/Delver tempo list w/ Young Pyromancer at our last event and it was pretty fun. You could run the green for a maindeck grudge or two and nature's claim out of the board vs. shops or oath.

Lighting bolt is still my BFF in this format.

the lists i saw were running goyf as well and allows it access to another mox. grudge main seems sweet.

it 10 proxy tournaments. I would only need 7 or 8 with the deck

joelseph

My new favorite combo in Theros Draft: Aqueous Form on a Flamespeaker Adept.

I'm probably jinxing myself by posting before the finals is played out, but that combo singlehandedly brought me into the finals of this 8-4 against two straight green decks. They both had Bow of Nylea and Nylea's Disciple.

EDIT: We split. Fine by me; I'm hungry and ready for dinner. This was my deck:

xMdhqwm.png

I lost in the finals in 2 4-3-2-2 tournaments last night because of Vaporkin with red ordeal. Both freaking times! Great deck. Did pull a Stormbreath and Reaper of Wilds so no complaints. Love this format.

G.ZZZ

Even then, Sligh ran mana denial (especially Strip Mine and Wasteland, to a lesser extent Rishadan Port) and janky control cards like Meekstone or Ankh of Mishra.

Goofy red aggro-kinda control decks are far more interesting than what people idealize RDW to be (the original RDW maindecked Pillages IIRC, hardly a pure agro deck).

No the original sligh didn't run Rishadan, because original sligh was like 1996. It ran Ironclaw orcs and the likes. RG version used kird (when it still wasn't banned and after it went unbanned), llanowar elves and other things i don't remember.
RDW ran it yeah, it ran 4 wastes + 4 pillage and often (i played it at least) 4 Tangle Wire. There were many variants too.

the lists i saw were running goyf as well and allows it access to another mox. grudge main seems sweet.

it 10 proxy tournaments. I would only need 7 or 8 with the deck

I kind of like some number of goyfs. They get monster real fast in this format. You need the third mox anyway for this deck, so might as well run the green. It's better to have the extra color vs. having the slightly more stable manabase vs. shops.

Oh, one tip-Spell Snare is good in this format. It's really underrated. Run at least one, I ran two and was always happy to see it, vs. spell pierce/flusterstorm which were always much more conditional (though I still like 1 MD flusterstorm).

Animal

Banned
So after spending a couple hours in hearthstone I got the itch to visit magic again.

I found my old cards in a dusty closet and it consists of Worldwake/M10 cards. About 200 of them. On top of that my best cards are band apparently?

It seems they are useless in "Gameday play" as gamedays only allow the last core set plus two most recent expansions I was told.

So I plan on purchasing a booster box and maybe a fat pack to get up to date and eligible to play gamedays and FNM at my local gamestore.

The question is which set do I buy for the booster box? M14 or Theros? Ravnica?

ultron87

I found my old cards in a dusty closet and it consists of Worldwake/M10 cards. About 200 of them. On top of that my best cards are band apparently?

This mean you have Jace, The Mind Sculptor? That could get you a pretty penny if you wanted to sell it.

It seems they are useless in "Gameday play" as gamedays only allow the last core set plus two most recent expansions I was told.

So I plan on purchasing a booster box and maybe a fat pack to get up to date and eligible to play gamedays and FNM at my local gamestore.

The question is which set do I buy for the booster box? M14 or Theros? Ravnica?

And yeah, Game Days are Standard (M14, Theros, Return to Ravnica block) only. If you specifically want to play competitive constructed buying singles is the better way to go as opposed to buying boxes. If you want to get a decent deck as easy as possible to build off of you could try grabbing the Theros Event Deck. And then adding singles to that.

I kind of like some number of goyfs. They get monster real fast in this format. You need the third mox anyway for this deck, so might as well run the green. It's better to have the extra color vs. having the slightly more stable manabase vs. shops.

Oh, one tip-Spell Snare is good in this format. It's really underrated. Run at least one, I ran two and was always happy to see it, vs. spell pierce/flusterstorm which were always much more conditional (though I still like 1 MD flusterstorm).

i own like 8 or so snares. most lists i was looking at contained some number of them so I assumed they knew more than I do about the card

I don't really care for it in most matchups in legacy btw

Animal

Banned
This mean you have Jace, The Mind Sculptor? That could get you a pretty penny if you wanted to sell it.

I wish but unfortunately its Stoneforge Mystic and Abyssal Persecutor.

And yeah, Game Days are Standard (M14, Theros, Return to Ravnica block) only. If you specifically want to play competitive constructed buying singles is the better way to go as opposed to buying boxes. If you want to get a decent deck as easy as possible to build off of you could try grabbing the Theros Event Deck. And then adding singles to that.

I think I'm going to go for the Theros Event Deck then. I never was a complete and experienced magic player\deck builder. I always lost interest early on. I think I need more experience playing and constructing before going full singles. Thanks for the help!

I wish but unfortunately its Stoneforge Mystic and Abyssal Persecutor.
I think Stoneforge sees regular play in Legacy, so there's a chance it's value will start to creep up as time goes on, even more so if R&D does an about-face in the future and unbans Stoneforge in Modern (but don't hold your breath on the latter part, :p). I don't see Persecutor ever going for more than $10, however.

y2dvd

I wonder why Vaporkin isn't in the devotion blue decks. It's one less devotion than Frostburn weird, but it's aggressive, evasive, and gets powered by Master of Waves. I guess the extra devotion and it's defensive body is more valued?

kirblar

I wonder why Vaporkin isn't in the devotion blue decks. It's one less devotion than Frostburn weird, but it's aggressive, evasive, and gets powered by Master of Waves. I guess the extra devotion and it's defensive body is more valued?
The devotion matters, and it doesn't hit as hard, nor can it play Defense.

I remember seeing Vaporkin in at least one of the video deck techs this weekend. I can't pull up any videos right now, but it shouldn't be too difficult to search for them on Wizard's site.

I think Stoneforge sees regular play in Legacy, so there's a chance it's value will start to creep up as time goes on, even more so if R&D does an about-face in the future and unbans Stoneforge in Modern (but don't hold your breath on the latter part, :p). I don't see Persecutor ever going for more than $10, however.

that would be a crazy about-face. Card was already good before NPH, Batterskull breaks it in half.

kirblar

SFM is a straight up broken card.

Anyone who wants it unbanned is a stone cold degenerate. Steelshaper's Gift? Already in the format.

SFM is a straight up broken card.

Anyone who wants it unbanned is a stone cold degenerate. Steelshaper's Gift? Already in the format.

i can't imagine every deck not using her if she was unbanned

it would be a relatively short time before she was banned again.

it will never happen

bigkrev

Rumblings on twitter is that stores are getting their Commander orders cut. People are also forgetting you will be able to go to Walmart and Target a week or 2 later and buy them to their hearts content.

Also, people talking about the fetch lands getting printed in Commander instead of a standard legal set, which actually makes more sense than Magical Christmasland in Stamdard

Geez, even the possibility of fetchlands in the Commander decks has me considering a preorder, but I was probably going to pick up the Jund deck anyways.

ultron87

Fetches in Commander would probably actually make it difficult to find them at Walmarts and Targets, as people would snap them up instantly for value.

And then half of them still wouldn't be legal in Modern.

Jaeyden

Fetches in commander sets would maybe/yes/no awesome lol. The store hype would be bullshit and lots of people would get screwed....again. I got a decent deal on 20 and my LGS still has them but basically you buy a foil Jace and then get 19 cards free.

kirblar

Fetches in commander sets would maybe/yes/no awesome lol. The store hype would be bullshit and lots of people would get screwed....again. I got a decent deal on 20 and my LGS still has them but basically you buy a foil Jace and then get 19 cards free.
This is why they won't be there. They don't want pre-con decks eviscerated by dealers.

rCIZZLE

Is SFM in a format without Jitte really that broken? Wasting your first few turns trying to get a Batterskull on the board doesn't even seem that good anymore. That's not even counting having to fight through removal, discard, and V Cliques to make that happen. Is it really that much more broken than, say, Dark Confidant, a card that rarely comes up in the banlist conversations.

Rumblings on twitter is that stores are getting their Commander orders cut. People are also forgetting you will be able to go to Walmart and Target a week or 2 later and buy them to their hearts content.

Also, people talking about the fetch lands getting printed in Commander instead of a standard legal set, which actually makes more sense than Magical Christmasland in Stamdard

That figures. I just finished buying the fetch lands I needed off of eBay.

Doesn't that thing have a MSRP of only $40?
I wish Wizards would just do a website pre-order deal to avoid the LGS.
I know they are supposedly throwing them a bone or whatever, but it still sucks.

Wow, I just saw the Top 8 Decklists. I really like what Theros is doing to Standard, at least at first blush

It's exciting to see these heavy devotion decks have success. I want standard to have valid archetypes in as many color combinations as possible. Hopefully the junk and esper decks that we've seen in the weeks leading up to the PT are able to compete with Thassa and all, so we aren't still stuck with 4 decks that just happen to be different than what we'd expected.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It's exciting to see these heavy devotion decks have success. I want standard to have valid archetypes in as many color combinations as possible. Hopefully the junk and esper decks that we've seen in the weeks leading up to the PT are able to compete with Thassa and all, so we aren't still stuck with 4 decks that just happen to be different than what we'd expected.

Yeah, that's what I mean at first blush. I'm very excited to see four different mono-color strats (okay, admittedly not that dissimilar) shake things up like this, but if they just become the new dominant archtypes then that's not as interesting.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Red devotion: Racing them with damage
Blue devotion: Card advantage
Black devotion: Quality drops into Merchant

Top Bottom