• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

rCIZZLE

Boros Charm.
Golgari Charm.
Rootborn Defenses.
All 5 Gods.
Mutavault.
Advent of the Wurm.
Boon Satyr.
Voice of Resurgence.
Obzedat.

Supreme Verdict is good because it forces people to play around it. That makes the already good spot removal even better. I'm sure it feels pretty shitty to hold up Rootborn Defenses mana for Verdict to only get completely blown out by Far // Away.

kirblar

Supreme Verdict is good because it forces people to play around it. That makes the already good spot removal even better. I'm sure it feels pretty shitty to hold up Rootborn Defenses mana for Verdict to only get completely blown out by Far // Away.
The two "poles" of the format are Mono-Red and Verdict-based control. Neither deck is actually that good (Master/Cloak blow up Mono-R) but people will play them anyway.

I've been trying to play a BUG shell, but it can't beat red. Mono-R has too much reach now.

Other than maybe Rootborn Defenses, cards like Boon Satyr, Advent of the Wurm, Voice of Resurgence, Obzedat, Mutavault... are all cards people would be playing anyway regardless of Supreme Verdict.

Is SFM in a format without Jitte really that broken? Wasting your first few turns trying to get a Batterskull on the board doesn't even seem that good anymore. That's not even counting having to fight through removal, discard, and V Cliques to make that happen. Is it really that much more broken than, say, Dark Confidant, a card that rarely comes up in the banlist conversations.

absolutely

searching for batterskull is still very good in legacy. decks that can benefit from searching up a sword and connecting with it is a huge advantage.

SFM replaces herself if she resolves. you have to actually untap with Bob to get an advantage. that's not to discredit Bob mind you

Animal

Banned
I went to my first draft tonight. It was the first time I played anyone at an official event . I was a clueless noob but I had lots of fun thanks to a great group of MTG players happy to explain and coach.

I went to my first draft tonight. It was the first time I played anyone at an official event . I was a clueless noob but I had lots of fun thanks to a great group of MTG players happy to explain and coach.

Having a group of friendly, decent-smelling people is 90% of loving this game. Get to know those guys and the rest will come naturally!

I've been trying to play a BUG shell, but it can't beat red. Mono-R has too much reach now.

Did you ever post a list for your BUG Control? It's my favorite color swirl, so I want to see what good players are doing with it.

Edit:

Here's the garbage I've been toying with. The deck is a ton of fun. It has trouble with opposing big dudes, but I've made some changes to the removal package since then. Either way, it needs some real work still.

BUG Nonsense

4 Sylvan Caryatid
2 Voyaging Satyr
4 Boon Satyr
2 Thassa
4 Deadbridge Goliath
1 Polukranos
2 Reaper of the Wilds
3 Prognostic Sphinx
3 Prime Speaker

2 Jace, Architect
2 Cyclonic Rift
2 Putrefy
1 Doom Blade
2 Golgari Charm
2 Far//Away

4 Breeding Pool
4 Temple of Mystery
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Watery Grave
3 Temple of Deceit
4 Forest
1 Island

Sideboard
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Jace, Architect
2 Domestication
2 Mistcutter Hydra
3 Skylasher
2 Nylea’s Disciple
1 Golgari Charm
2 Ashiok
1 Vraska

Flowcharting a Boon Satyr on something into Prime Speaker is all I really want to do. I also got to block a Blood Baron with a Caryatid and then flash a Satyr onto him to take him out once, which was awesome. I really enjoy the Thassas, but they're probably bad, and Reaper of the Wilds has underwhelmed as well. What hasn't is Golgari Charm. From saving the team, to wiping my opponent's board of elementals or Firedrinkers, to destroying Detention Sphere and -2ing my Jace again, it always does something sweet. I want to play Golgari Charm in every deck right now.

Crocodile

Yo dawg, I heard you like Invisible Stalker so:

grandLapinDansLeRomarin.jpg

For those who can't read French, the card says

As ~ enters the battlefield, choose a player.

~ has protection from the chosen player (Can't be blocked, targeted, damaged or enchanted by a source controlled by the chosen player)

So this guys dies to Edicts, Wraths, mass Bounce (Overloaded Cyclonic Rift, Upheveal), weird corner cases like Curse of Death's Hold, Engineered Plague and Contagion Engine and NOTHING ELSE!

Enjoy :)

I'm not sure legacy merfolk would want him.

their creatures are all utility, or lords. he really doesn't fit in any one of those categories.

you could say his evasion is good, but having islandwalk usually does that for the entire team

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
For Legacy Merfolk, it's competing with a lord.

It's nigh uninteractable especially given Legacy's removal suites but is it really worth a lord?

JulianImp

Are you talking about Stoneforge?

if so, then yes. her comes-into-play is a trigger that can be stifled or responded to.

If he's talking about the new merfolk, though, the answer would be a "no" instead. "As ~ enters the battlefield" effects such as Clone's can't be responded to or nullified with, say, Stifle.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
If he's talking about the new merfolk, though, the answer would be a "no" instead. "As ~ enters the battlefield" effects such as Clone's can't be responded to or nullified with, say, Stifle.

So swords in response to the trigger wouldn't work, for instance

Grakl

after looking at it, really like the design, and even if it doesn't find its place in the legacy meta, it's one hell of an uninteractive beater.

So, Protection from -player- extends to permanents that player controls? Interesting. If nothing else, that merefolk is a virtually unbreakable clock.

rCIZZLE

Wouldn't the great glass spinner be a better card to board in?

Not always. It's nice to have a creature that can skate past goyfs and knights. One that's immune to jitte and batterskull. Plus gets the lord bonuses on top of it all to quickly close out games. I can easily see this being MB even if 3 mana is a little much.

So I traded my Scavenging Ooze for a Thassa, God of the Sea. I don't really have a deck for the Scooze and Thassa fits really well in my Monoblue Merfolk deck and my Azorious deck as well.

I have a quick question, anyone familiar with Grimoire Thief?

I tap Grimoire Thief, exile three cards. Opponent kills Grimoire Thief. Those cards stay exiled, correct?

Thank you!

So I traded my Scavenging Ooze for a Thassa, God of the Sea. I don't really have a deck for the Scooze and Thassa fits really well in my Monoblue Merfolk deck and my Azorious deck as well.

I have a quick question, anyone familiar with Grimoire Thief?

I tap Grimoire Thief, exile three cards. Opponent kills Grimoire Thief. Those cards stay exiled, correct?

Thank you!

yes, that's part of the cost. you wouldn't get the exiled cards back

same with the ooze

G.ZZZ

The card is incredibly good and totally uninteractive. And it's blue while it totally should've been white (and worse). Totally lazy design on top of that.

The worst thing with this card is the lack of care. It doesn't care about the gamestate, the opponent or anything else. It doesn't even need to adapt like f.i. Morphling or Tarmogoyf. It doesn't require design like Delver (to some extend) or Nimble Mongoose. It doesn't even require a splash or is vulnerable to combat like Geist. I hope they just printed a giant middle finger on it, because thats what this creature feels like.

My feelings totally. This card will be a thing for years to come in legacy and i'll hate with all of myself, from the bottom of my heart.

Yeef

I'd imagine that it's designed with Commander in mind and if it makes a splash in legacy it's just an unintended side effect. In a multiplayer game, it's basically Politics, the Card. "Hey, Jim, if you kill that dude for me, I'll cast Ancestral Vision targeting you."

G.ZZZ

I'd imagine that it's designed with Commander in mind and if it makes a splash in legacy it's just an unintended side effect. In a multiplayer game, it's basically Politics, the Card. "Hey, Jim, if you kill that dude for me, I'll cast Ancestral Vision targeting you."

It won't make "a splash". It's a merfolk that will see play OUTSIDE of merfolk. I can assure you that. This card will be loathed for years by players, as an even more absurd Geist that never rotate out.

kirblar

This card is specifically designed with Legacy in mind. It's a 3/1 that's unblockable, has hexproof, and can't be killed with Pyroclasm.

An-Det

What the actual fuck at that guy. Clearly designed for Legacy too. I'll pre-order a set, but I really don't like that card even existing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yup. You have to wrath it or edict it.

Are edict effects common in legacy?

I can't think of anything outside of Pox.

Maybe if Merfolk slows down a bit this can be played in place of the level up merfolk but otherwise I don't see where it can be shoved. Or maybe as strictly sideboard tech.

rCIZZLE

Are edict effects common in legacy?

I can't think of anything outside of Pox.

Maybe if Merfolk slows down a bit this can be played in place of the level up merfolk but otherwise I don't see where it can be shoved. Or maybe as strictly sideboard tech.

Lili is an edict effect.

red13th

When basically asked the same question, Maro said this:

Well, who am I to argue then.
At least with the eternal-only yearly products Maro and company have an outlet for safely printing the cards they design after doing heavy drugs. Should've stuck shit like DRS in one of those.

Top Bottom