• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
What do you guys think of Swan Song in Legacy?

Image.ashx

Seems like a 1 mana hard counter to a lot of whats going on in that format.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Seems like sideboard material to me. Against fair decks, you really don't want to give them a 2/2 beater, but it's good against unfair decks. If you know you're playing against unfair, then you can board out your softer counters for this.

kirblar

Thoughtseize hasn't crashed yet? How?
It crashed to the 15-25 range. It won't go lower, and will likely rise from here on out. Mutavault's quickly becoming a $20 card again, as is Ooze.

Seems like sideboard material to me. Against fair decks, you really don't want to give them a 2/2 beater, but it's good against unfair decks. If you know you're playing against unfair, then you can board out your softer counters for this.
It's very good IN combo decks to defend against other decks trying to interfere with them.

Lucario

It crashed to the 15-25 range. It won't go lower, and will likely rise from here on out. Mutavault's quickly becoming a $20 card again, as is Ooze.

I accidentally submitted my order for a playset of mutavaults four times.

Super happy about that now!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I still need to get a playset of Voices in MTGO. I keep hoping Fleecemane will drop the price of 'em a bit, but so far, no luck.

y2dvd

Is Voice still $45? I will never own a copy. Augh I wish I jumped on Mutavault when it was $10. Procrastinating got the best of me in life again. I managed to win some foil promo Night Specter or whatever it's called and those are going for $10 each so that's nice.

WanderingWind

Is Voice still $45? I will never own a copy. Augh I wish I jumped on Mutavault when it was $10. Procrastinating got the best of me in life again. I managed to win some foil promo Night Specter or whatever it's called and those are going for $10 each so that's nice.

Yeah, 40 tickets each. Pretty insane.

I still need to get a playset of Voices in MTGO. I keep hoping Fleecemane will drop the price of 'em a bit, but so far, no luck.

I run them in paper Magic but I just can't bring myself to spend that in digital to play the same deck in both worlds.
FL has seen a crash in MTGO if mtgGoldfish.com is to be believed. http://www.mtggoldfish.com/card/Fleecemane+Lion+[THS]

I'm even building a paper Modern Jund deck when really it would be better to play that in MTGO because I'd actually get frequent play out of it.

It's not that I don't mind spending money on MTGO cards... it's just... that much money...

WanderingWind

I run them in paper Magic but I just can't bring myself to spend that in digital to play the same deck in both worlds.
FL has seen a crash in MTGO if mtgGoldfish.com is to be believed. http://www.mtggoldfish.com/card/Fleecemane+Lion+[THS]

I'm even building a paper Modern Jund deck when really it would be better to play that in MTGO because I'd actually get frequent play out of it.

It's not that I don't mind spending money on MTGO cards... it's just... that much money...

It really is. I stuck to my guns and only bought a little bit of Theros in paper. I've got just about everything I need on MTGO in THS though. 130 bucks for 4 cards online is just madness.

It's a good card though...

Welp, I've had good luck in cracking packs (I do this for a dopamine release, not because it's economical). But in a continuing pattern, it's all the luck for the colors I don't want to play. I've got only 1 Nylea, 0 Heliod, 0 Purphorous, 0 Erebos, 1 regular and 1 foil Thassa. 2 Whips, 1 Bident, 1 Bow, 0 Hammer, 0 Spears. 1 Elspeth, 0 Xenagos, 0 Ashiok. 0 Master of Waves, 0 Polukranos, 0 Stormbreath, 1 regular and 1 foil Ashen Rider.

I've got the weirdest luck. And the saddest luck for someone that enjoys playing green decks and black decks splashed with other colors. I feel like maybe I should try to find a group a people to draft with and trade with to help get me to the colors I'd like more. I'm hoping to offload my foil Thassa while she still has some value.

0 Fleecemane. But that follows exactly with my luck in getting any good GW cards. I spent a buncha money trying to get a single voice with no luck whatsoever. I have given up on GW til after Ravnica rotates out.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This is bizarre.

Unexpectedly Absent XWW
Instant Rare
Put target nonland permanent into its owner's library just beneath the top X cards of that library.

Well, this is one way to print removal outside of the usual suspects.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/article.aspx?x=mtg/tcg/commander2013/cig

i never thought I'd own a commander deck. I'll definitely be getting the deck with UA in it.

OW0TIk0s5j_EN.jpg

just thought about this. the deck i'd consider putting this in (u/w miracles) also happens to play misdirection. that would be sweet to redirect that

swan song is super good against omni-tell and sneak attack decks. Caleb Durward wrote a great article about SS and what decks want to play that in the board. very good in vintage as well. ill be sitting on the foil copy i opened indefinitely

The Adder

Banned
So, anyone know how the hydra interacts with cards like "Sphere of Safety?"

Can it just not attack while that's on the field since it has no mana to spend?

Yeef

Not a commander player, but I think I'll pick up a set since I've recently started building a cube and it seems like there's some solid options in there.

So, anyone know how the hydra interacts with cards like "Sphere of Safety?"

Can it just not attack while that's on the field since it has no mana to spend?
The hydra doesn't attack. Instead, at the end of it's turn it deals damage to each player based on the number and types of heads it has (normal heads deal 1 damage, elite heads deal 2 damage). Tapped heads always deal no damage.

rCIZZLE

"Mind Seize" seems to be the winner as far as value goes. If your LGS is preordering at MSRP then you should go for this one. Baleful Strix and the new Merfolk guy will be worth more than 30 easily.

What do you guys think of Swan Song in Legacy?

Image.ashx

Seems like a 1 mana hard counter to a lot of whats going on in that format.

It's excellent. Negate was already an excellent card at 2 mana for basically doing the same thing vs. the decks you wanted to fight on the stack with (combo). That card was underplayed and this one is even more playable. It's even better in Vintage where it protects Oath of Druids for one mana while at the same time turning Oath on for your next turn.

It will never be worth a ton but it will be a format sideboard role player for smart players for a long time.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
So, are any of those Commander decks duds compared to the others? I plan to pick one up for fun (I've never played Commander), and I'm leaning towards the G/R/W because those are my predominantly played colours.

Lucario

Here's a list of everything that is/will likely be worth more than $2 in the new commander decks.

P3K:
Kongming, "Sleeping Dragon" ($20+)
Borrowing 100,000 Arrows ($3-5)
Lu Xun, Scholar General ($20)
Strategic Planning ($25)
Hua Tao, Honored Physician ($55-60)
Spoils of Victory ($12)

NON-P3K:
Karmic Guide ($8)
Eternal Dragon ($3)
Mirror Entity ($5-6)
Wall of Reverence ($3)
Wrath of God ($5)
Azami, Lady of Scrolls ($2.5)
Army of the Damned ($2.50)
Decree of Pain ($4.50)
Endless Cockroaches ($4)
Sudden Spoiling ($2.5)
Inferno Titan ($2)
Avenger of Zendikar ($9)
Harmonize ($2)
Rampaging Baloths ($2.50)
Baleful Strix ($15)
Augury Adept ($2)
Boros Charm ($2)
Divinity of Pride ($3)
Murkfiend Liege ($7)
Mayael the Anima ($4.50)
Sharuum the Hegemon ($2.5)
Sphinx of the Steel Wind ($2.5)
Sol Ring -- 5 copies ($7.50 each)
Thraximundar ($8.50)
Nevinyrral's Disc ($4)
Thousand-Year Elixir ($4)
Well of Lost Dreams ($3)
Command Tower -- 5 copies ($4 each)
Homeward Path ($7)
Mosswort Bridge ($3.5)
Ajani's Pridemate ($2)

NEW, POSSIBLY CONSTRUCTED PLAYABLE:

Unexpectedly Absent
True-Name Nemesis
Toxic Deluge
Widespread Panic
Bane of Progress (combo elves sideboard, maybe?)

NEW, SUPER GOOD IN EDH SO SHOULD RETAIN SOME VALUE:

Restore
Derevi, Empyrial Tactician
Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge
Marath, Will of the Wild
Prosh, Skyraider of Kher
Oloro, Ageless Ascetic
Roon of the Hidden Realm
Shattergang Brothers
Sydri, Galvanic Genius
Angel of Finality
Baleful Force
Ophiomancer

NEW ART, MIGHT BE WORTH MORE THAN ORIGINAL:
Arcane Denial (Original $1)
Goblin Sharpshooter (Original $5)
Night Soil (original $0.25)
Crosis's Charm (original $0.75)
Dromar's Charm
Fiery Justice (original $1)
Lim-Dûl's Vault
Rubina Soulsinger (chronicles $1)
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper (original $0.50)
Basalt Monolith (revised $1)
Propaganda (other printings ~$3)
Phyrexian Delver (original bulk)
Reckless Spite (original bulk)

With all the $0.50-$1.50 cards rounding out these decks, I'd say that's a goddamn bargain.

Currently, the complete set -- not counting any new cards, not counting any P3K stuff, not counting anything below $2, and counting reprints at their original value -- is worth $192!

Notbad. Let me know if I missed anything, but that should be pretty complete. Looks like each deck is completely packed with value, you really can't go wrong here if you're buying these to play casually.

Might just nab the complete set, sleeve 'em up, and not change a single card. They all look like a complete blast to play!

I pre-ordered all five for MSRP at my local shop a couple weeks ago. I plan to sleeve them and just use them for kitchen table play. I'm keeping them fully intact like I do with my Dual Decks I buy.

Lucario

Isochron scepter + unexpectedly absent is one of the meanest soft locks I've seen.

Hope you enjoy never drawing new cards again! Too slow for legacy but makes me pretty glad these aren't all modern legal, I guess.

kirblar

Isochron scepter + unexpectedly absent is one of the meanest soft locks I've seen.

Hope you enjoy never drawing new cards again! Too slow for legacy but makes me pretty glad these aren't all modern legal, I guess.
Unexpectedly Absent and the Merfolk are are cards where I wonder "WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA"

Crocodile

I could give two shits about the Commander decks as a whole but there are a lot of sweet singles contained within. Hopefully I can buy/trade for them on the reasonable/cheap.

Unexpectedly Absent and the Merfolk are are cards where I wonder "WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA"

If you want to shake up Legacy, you gotta go big or go home :p

Lucario

The merfolk is.... ugh. He's just painfully uninteractive -- would've liked him more if he simply had "protection from players". Making him into a mixture of hexproof and babyprogenitus makes me groan more than a little bit. If you're going to push the power envelope, do it with something fun like Shardless Agent or Baleful Strix! I'm not even sure which lists (if any) want to play this guy, so at least we have that. (Fish isn't exactly a top deck right now, replace a lord with this guy and I don't think it's much better.)

Unexpectedly Absent.... Yes. That is a scary card that will be seeing a lot of legacy play the second these decks are released. I guess they thought white needed a power boost in legacy, but that's just overcompensating.

I think Toxic Deluge replaces an entire range of sideboard cards with a single silver-bullet spell (complete with stopping power for teeg!). Three mana is a lot, so you can't kill Empty the Warrens tokens with it, but it's still not seeing as much hype as I would expect.

kirblar

The merfolk is.... ugh. He's just painfully uninteractive -- would've liked him more if he simply had "protection from players". Making him into a mixture of hexproof and babyprogenitus makes me groan more than a little bit. If you're going to push the power envelope, do it with something fun like Shardless Agent or Baleful Strix! I'm not even sure which lists (if any) want to play this guy, so at least we have that. (Fish isn't exactly a top deck right now, replace a lord with this guy and I don't think it's much better.)

Unexpectedly Absent.... Yes. That is a scary card that will be seeing a lot of legacy play the second these decks are released. I guess they thought white needed a power boost in legacy, but that's just overcompensating.

I think Toxic Deluge replaces an entire range of sideboard cards with a single silver-bullet spell (complete with stopping power for teeg!). Three mana is a lot, so you can't kill Empty the Warrens tokens with it, but it's still not seeing as much hype as I would expect.
You already get Infest for 3 mana, though. Golgari Charm for 2. It's not really efficient unless you're paying a LOT of life.

So if I only want to buy one, Mind Seize is the best value?
I already spend so much on singles I don't really feel like investing so much money into all five of the decks. Imagine someone buying four of each just to have play sets.

kirblar

So if I only want to buy one, Mind Seize is the best value?
I already spend so much on singles I don't really feel like investing so much money into all five of the decks. Imagine someone buying four of each just to have play sets.
I don't think buying them is a good idea unless you want to play them.

I don't think buying them is a good idea unless you want to play them.

I do want to play at least one of them. I do not have a Commander deck and it is a format that I would like to play. There is a weekly game at one of the LGS and I'd play it at the kitchen table as well.
I just don't see myself buying ALL of them like many seem to be doing, and that's fine. Regardless if they are playing them or just collecting them or as an investment. I'm sure even if it's for the latter there will be a return on investment if they choose to sell them later.

Top Bottom