• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

I've been watching some Vintage gameplay coverage, a format I've never seen before. It's interesting... at times it goes very fast, and the Lotus cards among others that allow you to dump your hand turn one is pretty insane. It also seems like a lot of land destruction and just other shenanigans I'm not used to playing Standard.

Here are a couple of videos for example.

BUG vs. Powered Goblins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qCshePi5N4&list=UUoEQBwcDaI5ZsKUZMB9qeRQ

Affinity vs. Terra Nova Shops
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIgyEK9esDo&list=UUoEQBwcDaI5ZsKUZMB9qeRQ

I have no idea what's happening in these videos :3

Firemind

I think I'll be registering the following 75 more or less next weekend:

3 island
1 mountain
4 scalding tarn
1 steam vents
1 breeding pool
2 shivan reef
4 urzas tower
4 urzas mine
4 urzas power plant
1 eye of ugin

2 emrakul the aeons torn
1 ulamog the infinite gyre
1 kozilek butcher of truth

4 expedition map
4 izzet signet
1 prismatic lens
4 remand
2 condescend
1 repeal
1 cyclonic rift
4 thirst for knowledge
2 gifts ungiven
4 through the breach
3 pyroclasm
2 electrolyze

sb:
2 wurmcoil engine (aggro)
2 dispel (control/combo)
2 ancient grudge (affinity)
2 combust (splinter twin)
2 torpor orb (birthing pod/splinter twin)
2 grafdiggers cage (birthing pod/reanimator)
1 spellskite (aggro/splinter twin)
1 pyroclasm (extra removal)
1 burst lightning (extra removal)

Any glaring weaknesses? Blood Moon and Sowing Salt are annoying, but the deck can overcome that with Through The Breach. Jund is always annoying with constant disruption. Nothing that can be done about that. Splinter Twin is probably unwinnable game one, which is why I use up most of my sb slots to have a fighting chance. Melira Pod is okay I think. Any other popular modern metachoices these days that I missed?

An-Det

I went to a local GPT for DC today, playing Punishing Jund.

Round 1: Punishing Jund
We sit down and both pull out a Source playmat. Chatting about it and about getting the new playmat that they're making (that gets around the copyright on the pictures), we discover that we are also playing the Punishing Jund mirror match. I win a quick game 1, but dont have much going on in the other two and lose the match.

Round 2: Grixis Delver
The judge comes up to me before the round starts and tells me that I wrote down 14 cards in my sideboard but indicated 15. I forgot to write down the Scavenging Ooze in there, so I start with a game loss. Fantastic. Since I choose to play, I start off with a Thoughtseize and see him on Grixis Delver, then look at my hand of burn for his Bob and Wastelands for his lands, and I smile. Game "2" wasn't even close. Game 3 my lands are kinda sketchy, and he starts beating down with a flipped Delver. Here I try my hardest to punt and lose the match when I have 2 wasteland, a DRS, and a Badlands in play by Wastelanding his Fetchland, somehow thinking that I could play the Bloodbraid in my hand if I just had lands in graveyards. Despite myself I won the match.

Round 3: UB Tezzeret
I win the die and start off with a DRS, and he starts with an Urborg into Nihil Spellbomb, so I knew immediately what he was on. I disrupt a bit and land a goyf and bob, and on his turn 3 he drops an Ensnaring Bridge using 3 lands. Therefore, with the DRS, a dual land, and 2 Wastelands in play, I play another Wasteland and destroy all his lands, then use my dual + drs to Abrupt Decay his Bridge, leaving his board empty and me with Game 1. Game 2 went similarly, with me Wasting a bunch of lands. He dropped Sword of the Meek and Transmuted up Thopter Foundry, no lands untapped, then my Bob flipped a Maelstrom Pulse and that was that.

Round 4: 12-Post
My main plan of Wasteland + discard ate up everything he tried to do. I won in 2, it really wasn't fair.

Round 5: Affinity
This was the last round of swiss and I'm 3-1, so we draw and both make top 8.

Quarfinals: Omnitell
We didn't get decklists for the top 8, but we all knew what the others were on. I was destroyed in Game 1, it wasn't close. Game 2 he put Leyline of Sanctity in play on turn 0 after mulling, but he didn't have much else going on, so I was able to kill him quickly. Game 3 he did the same, so I Golgari Charmed it on my turn 2, then disrupted him into nothing and won the match.

Semifinals: Belcher
I was 6th seed, he was 1st or 2nd and very happily went first. I kept a decent hand, but knew it didn't matter. He went the Charbelcher route, using his entire hand...and hit his Taiga on card 10. I dropped to 2, fetching a dual and going to 1 and dropping a DRS into Liliana and somehow stealing the game away from him. We realized afterwards that I would have died if he hadn't used the Manamorphose in his hand (which he didn't need to use). Game 2 he was on the play and it went how it actually should.

Game 3 I'm on the play and mull to 3. Every hand before that was awful against Belcher, having no disruption (I boarded in 2 Duress to compliment my 4 Thoughtseize) or lands to cast it (my 4-cards was Duress, Thoughtseize, Wasteland, and a 4th, tempting but no go). My 3 cards was Wasteland, Badlands, and Lightning Bolt. At this point I know I'm fucked and resign to the loss. I play my Badlands, then he shits out 14 goblin tokens turn 1. I say that I need a fetchland and my out (we've played this before and he knows about my 1-of Engineered Plague in the board), and then draw my Golgari Charm, play Wasteland and pass, then drop to 6. I untap and draw a Fetchland, cracking it as fast as I can for a Bayou and wiping his board, much to his dismay. I've only got a Lightning Bolt in hand and am at 5, so we play draw-go for two turns (me getting lands) before he Empties again for 4 tokens. I Bolt one EOT, going to 2, and draw a Bloodbraid Elf. I spin the wheel and out comes a Deathrite Shaman and pass. He has nothing in hand, and I draw another DRS. Now that I've got 2 blockers I start to attack with BBE, gain 2 life with his dead Tinder Wall, and start draining him with both deathrites. I drop a Goyf and get him to 10, which is lethal on this last combat. He chumps with 2 tokens (leaving him with 1), and then draws the Burning Wish that he needed the turn before (to get Goblin War Strike from his born, hit me for 3 and then swing for lethal). I win the impossible match and move to the finals.

Finals: 12-Post (different guy)
He was in 1st going to the top 8 so I'm on the draw to start, but game 1 my disruption does it's job. Game 2 he doesn't draw well after I Thoughtseize away a Show & Tell and I quickly finish it up after a second Bob and a Goyf join in.

So I won. Yay. But I'm not going to Grand Prix DC (working that weekend with no way to get out of it) so I gave the byes to the guy I beat in the finals (so on paper he won the GPT). I had a blast and it was nice to do well with it after my mediocre finish with it at a gpt last week.

bigkrev

I sold my Jace's I'm not going to use this weekend. I'm glad.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1346

ddm-product-shot.jpg

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
If you have Ashioks, I'd sell them. The price on those is going to tank (temporarily). The top 2 Esper decks ran no copies main (only 1 copy in one deck side) and he only made an appearance in one deck in the top 16. I

Kacar

Here's my first ever standard deck I've made, gonna try it out this FNM.

3x Returned Phalanx
2x Nightveil Spector
2x Liliana's Reaver
2x Disciple of Phenax
4X Gray Merchant of Asphodel
2x Abhorrent Overlord

1x Thoughtseize
2x Ultimate Price
4X Doom Blade
4x Devour Flesh
2x Hero's downfall
2x Read the Bones
2x Far/Away
2x Whip of Erebos
2x Dimir Charm

15x Swamp
7x Island
1x Dimir guildgate
1x Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx

Money was an issue building the deck, my Thoughtseize and Hero's Downfalls were from my booster box. There really aren't any good low mana creatures for black devotion i noticed, so I settled on Phalanx. The Dimir Charms are pretty random, but my only options are deathcult rogues or other theros fodder so I don't know if it would be worth it.

Negator

I played mono red aggro yesterday and ended up winning Game Day. Totally did not expect that seeing as I have not played Standard in about two months. Guess you never really lose it if you still know the meta, huh?

Fanatic of Mogis is absolutely insane. With all the burning trees, ash zealots, phoenixes, and reckoners, they just do so much damage it is absolutely ridiculous.

I ran a singleton legendary red hammer and that thing pretty much won every game when I played it. Hasted reckoners, fanatics, and firefist strikers are pretty much the worst thing ever for your opponent.

y2dvd

My buddy made a kitchen deck that was pretty fun. It was a Dimir deck that casted Cipher cards onto Heroic creatures. Double the triggers!

OnPoint

He's a card advantage engine. If left unmolested, he can win games.

Well, there's the name for Jace 5.0

Jace, the Unmolested 2UU

+ 1: Return a non-land permanent you control and a non-land permanent you don't to their owners hands
- 2: Draw a card, then put a card from your hand back on top of your library
- 7: Search your library for a blue permanent and put it directly into play. It is unaffected by summoning sickness.

Man, I hope they start playing around with the Planeswalker formula a bit more. Sarkhan the Mad, Gideon Jura, and Garruk Relentless are the only planeswalkers that push planeswalker design any.

kirblar

Well, there's the name for Jace 5.0

Jace, the Unmolested 2UU

+ 1: Return a non-land permanent you control and a non-land permanent you don't to their owners hands
- 2: Draw a card, then put a card from your hand back on top of your library
- 7: Search your library for a blue permanent and put it directly into play. It is unaffected by summoning sickness.

That +1 is too good imo.

OnPoint

Jace bouncing himself is actually problematic, and we've seen Unsummon be "too good", at least at -1. Not sure how you get it "correct."

Hm... card design is hard haha

Jace, Dreamsifter 2UU

+1: Draw a card, then put a card from your hand on the bottom of your library
-2: Return a non-Jace, non-land permanent you control, and target non-land permanent your opponent controls to their owners hands
-7: Search your library for a blue permanent and put it directly into play. It is unaffected by summoning sickness.

I like designing cards.

Cancel and Gretel UUU

Creature - Human Wizard

• Flash
  • When Cancel and Gretel enters the battlefield, counter target spell.
"The veto power of the court sorceresses of the Matriarchy is no fairy tale."

0/2

bigkrev

Bullshit pricing it at 6.99 when it's unredeemable. Masters Collection wasn't like that.

And lots of this is going to be valueless jank to make it limited playable

Bullshit pricing it at 6.99 when it's unredeemable. Masters Collection wasn't like that.

And lots of this is going to be valueless jank to make it limited playable

Modern Masters proved that people would pay that much if the set was both fun to play and had good money cards.

You can't really call bullshit on the pricing until we know what's in the set.

An-Det

I'm open to it being designed for limited play if it's got the same care as MMA did. It releasing later next year gives me time to learn the interface, since I'll be drafting the shit out of this. Nice timing too, since just yesterday I was lamenting not being able to play Vintage anywhere locally anymore, so with any luck this sparks a decent scene on mtgo.

ultron87

The fact that MTGO has been around for this long and not had Vintage on it is madness. It's the one place the format could actually grow!

Top Bottom