• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

kirblar

The constant thousands I spend on cards every season. I don't want to keep paying this much for cards that mostly aren't good in any other format besides the Standard vacuum.
Thousands? If you mean that literally you need to take lessons from me.

I think I've spent around $350 and have what's effectively a playset of Theros, lol.

Eh, $450. But that's still less than a case, lol.

Question for those turned off by standard:

Why? Is it because its expensive? Card values too volatile to justify investment? No fun? Too restricted?

I don't like constructed as a general rule. I find the lack of variance that you want in constructed decks less fun. I find the fact that you are playing with such a small subset of the cards less fun. It's why the only constructed format I play is commander.

Also, I absolutely loath every aspect of the whole collecting and speculating side of magic.

I think Scry is really cool. They should integrate it more into Magic as a basic thing, makes pretty much everything more consistent.

Or fuck it, just make scry 1 available at any time for 1 mana. Or make it so you could put in basic lands tapped to scry 1.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";87312529]I think Scry is really cool. They should integrate it more into Magic as a basic thing, makes pretty much everything more consistent.

Or fuck it, just make scry 1 available at any time for 1 mana. Or make it so you could put in basic lands tapped to scry 1.[/QUOTE]
I can see the headlines:

Blue decks to never lose again

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I prefer cycling to become evergreen. There is lots of design space surrounding "draw a card", or even one of the other cyclings (as well as cycle cost). Scry is pretty much limited to scrying.

Take Horizon Chimera for example, it's a straightforward beater that would work in every set but would shine in a limited format with cycling. Contrast to Flamespeaker Adept, who only works with a narrow range of cards and even within a scry block she leaves something to be desired.

sammich

and gotta be lucky with some pack opening i assume. Like one of my friends, he CONSTANTLY opens up the most expensive cards in a set, while i open the shit stuff. Sigh

I don't care about combos, I just mean in terms of making the game more consistent and less top decking wars in limited.

card draw feels too strong for something that would be printed on everything.

Haly

Cycling is just another kind of pseudo-card advantage that smooths out consistency.

And it plays well with graveyard shenanigans as well.

A friend of mine actually drafted GB Dredge in Theros recently and went 3-0 in a MODO Swiss game. Would be a lot easier to enable these kinds of off-the-wall decks in both limited and constructed with cycling.

Haly

most people call that card selection

Sure, card selection, fixing, 1/2 CA, whatever floats ya boat.

They are essentially the same thing in limited:

Cycling: Do you like this card in your hand?
Yes - Keep it
No - Pitch it and try your luck at another

Scry 1: Do you like the top card of your deck?
Yes - Keep it
No - Pitch it and try your luck at another

rCIZZLE

mtgo shuffler is bullshit. seems that if i keep a 2 lander then ill not see the 3rd for 4 or 5 turns. maybe once in awhile but 3 times in the same match? nope, not random.

Haly

Clearly.

To appease the RNG god you must make a sacrifice of tix to the Limited Queues every Sunday morning.

Yeah, sorry, not going to entertain any complaints about the shuffler. It's 100% random; in fact, it's significantly more accurate than you could ever be. Variance happens. The fact that you may have observed a run of odd behavior is not in any way an indicator of brokenness.

Yeah, sorry, not going to entertain any complaints about the shuffler. It's 100% random; in fact, it's significantly more accurate than you could ever be. Variance happens. The fact that you may have observed a run of odd behavior is not in any way an indicator of brokenness.

absolutely

if you look how they randomize the array you could never shuffle this randomly.

but i personally like people complaining about online shufflers and how they are worse than actually shuffling IRL

rCIZZLE

I was ranting. And by responding you did entertain my complaint. ;)

I've been tasked to help build a Black and Green casual deck, Legend of Zelda themed. Can't be too complex. Anyone have any suggestions?

I was originally going to splash white so I could run Tolsmir Wolfblood (Link, who can make Wolf Link tokens), and Doran (Deku Tree) but I worry this is already making the deck too complex and expensive.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I've been tasked to help build a Black and Green casual deck, Legend of Zelda themed. Can't be too complex. Anyone have any suggestions?

I was originally going to splash white so I could run Tolsmir Wolfblood (Link, who can make Wolf Link tokens), and Doran (Deku Tree) but I worry this is already making the deck too complex and expensive.

Tree of Redemption?

rCIZZLE

Anybody going to any GPT for DC this weekend? I'm definitely going to one Sunday and possibly another on Saturday if I can get another body in the car to split gas. The one on Sunday is at a shop with a lot of elves, rug delver, and fast combo so I'll probably end up taking uwr delver due to it having pretty favorable matchups and me just getting the last tundra so I can play it in real events. The other is in an area that I've never played at so I'll just stick with maverick if I go.

Anybody going to any GPT for DC this weekend? I'm definitely going to one Sunday and possibly another on Saturday if I can get another body in the car to split gas. The one on Sunday is at a shop with a lot of elves, rug delver, and fast combo so I'll probably end up taking uwr delver due to it having pretty favorable matchups and me just getting the last tundra so I can play it in real events. The other is in an area that I've never played at so I'll just stick with maverick if I go.

unfortunately all the GPTs around here are standard and modern. no thanks

I have UWR delver, minus one geist and one sword. i want to play that at the GP, but I think my buddy will borrow my U/W miracles which means I'll have to play RUG delver

he'll probably want to play RUG himself, but I've been playing this deck for 2+ years now so not gonna happen

rCIZZLE

unfortunately all the GPTs around here are standard and modern. no thanks

I have UWR delver, minus one geist and one sword. i want to play that at the GP, but I think my buddy will borrow my U/W miracles which means I'll have to play RUG delver

he'll probably want to play RUG himself, but I've been playing this deck for 2+ years now so not gonna happen

None of the GPTs are close by but they're all legacy, thankfully.

UWR delver seems like one of the best choices for an open meta so even though I love maverick, it'll be pretty tempting to play delver at the GP.

kirblar

UWR delver seems like one of the best choices for an open meta so even though I love maverick, it'll be pretty tempting to play delver at the GP.
This is the deck I've been told to play, lol.

An-Det

This is the deck I've been told to play, lol.

It's what I would recommend as well. Hell, I'd be playing it myself if I didn't love playing Punishing Jund (and if I owned Geists).

y2dvd

I'll usually throw together a standard deck or two for game day, and then just take it apart immediately afterward. Around here limited is far more popular than constructed (which I'm fine with, because I love limited). When it comes to constructed, the more casual players stick to EDH, which I'm not a fan of, and those that go 60-card typically stick to modern or 'vintage' casual.

I wish my lgs was more into limited. I totally prefer it to standards. Plus, I get to win store credit instead of taking packs and I just use that credit to play in the next draft so I'm saving me some monies.

Hmm, found at store that can do the EDH Grixis deck for £25. Might jump on that, and grab either Naya or Jund later on, since their value will remain low.

noquarter

mtgo shuffler is bullshit. seems that if i keep a 2 lander then ill not see the 3rd for 4 or 5 turns. maybe once in awhile but 3 times in the same match? nope, not random.
This is why I quite playing. Then every time I had 4 lands I would get flooded. Just got to be too frustrating when the odds should have you getting a land in the next turn or two, but instead it is five plus.

If you want though, Momir is cheap to build and you wont ever have a problem with Mana, though my luck is bad with that as well, having seen Leveler two many times, along with the guy that makes you lose if you don't play him from your hand.

rCIZZLE

This is why I quite playing. Then every time I had 4 lands I would get flooded. Just got to be too frustrating when the odds should have you getting a land in the next turn or two, but instead it is five plus.

If you want though, Momir is cheap to build and you wont ever have a problem with Mana, though my luck is bad with that as well, having seen Leveler two many times, along with the guy that makes you lose if you don't play him from your hand.

I don't really believe there's anything wrong with shuffler, just having a rage moment due to losing first round of an 8-4 with an amazing deck that I barely played.

As bad as the EV on drafting sucks and leads to occasional rage moments, one thing I've been liking more and more about mtgo is the triggers happening automatically. That minigame in paper where everybody can't wait to point out your missed triggers is what puts me off the most. It's not a revelation by any means but it just makes the online community seem a lot less hostile due to this one feature.

I don't really believe there's anything wrong with shuffler, just having a rage moment due to losing first round of an 8-4 with an amazing deck that I barely played.

As bad as the EV on drafting sucks and leads to occasional rage moments, one thing I've been liking more and more about mtgo is the triggers happening automatically. That minigame in paper where everybody can't wait to point out your missed triggers is what puts me off the most. It's not a revelation by any means but it just makes the online community seem a lot less hostile due to this one feature.

I can see how you might take a missed trigger as your opponent points it out as an act of hostility, but you have to imagine it from his perspective. He is mentally prepared for the game to stop for you to point out your own trigger. When you don't and continue pass that point, it's like a small victory for them. In close matches, these types of small "mistakes" can really decide a game.

He's not being like Nelson saying "ha ha, you missed your trigger" but it's really like "awesome, that's not going to happen THIS turn".

Playing RUG for so long, I wanted to remove the red for white. Once the UWR delver came out, i liked the inclusion of white for swords specifically. It's absolutely the WORST to lose to a resolved Knight of the Reliquary with zero outs in your deck. At least with white, you won't have that problem

Of course in a tournament atmosphere this isn't the best place to have things pointed out to you. I will say paper forces you to be aware of everything that is happening at all times.

In LGS matches, I'll remind opponents. In real tournaments with money on the line, I won't. Some people will call you a jerk for not letting them take moves back to allow certain triggers/events to happen but placing your blame/anger on your opponent won't allow you to learn from your mistakes and progress as a player.

rCIZZLE

Mostly I'm not talking about me missing the trigger since the decks I play I'm very used to so that almost never happens. It does slow my games down a lot though as I make sure to announce everything. "Living weapon trigger, jitte trigger, delver flip, etc." Just in general though it seems a lot people try to manipulate a non-missed trigger into a missed one. Whenever someone gets a "victory" by talking their way out of, for example, an angel token from Geist that wasn't verbally announced, I feel the game is tainted.

Online community seems a lot friendlier and this seems like it could be part of the reason why.

I just say trigger and point to the card that is triggered.

if someone is passing priority for you, you can go back

say you attack with geist and they immediately move to blockers, you can go back.

if you're talking about going to blockers then to damage, yea, they probably wont let you go back.

as far as the game being triggered, people were running into problems were they'd have to remind their opponent of triggers. it was like you were beating yourself with your opponents deck.

if you didn't announce an opponent missed a trigger (lets say its not a "may" trigger) both players were issued warnings. I think that's much worse

On a tangent, I find a lot of players don't know about main phase 2.

ie. on their turn they attack as their last action. This makes them automatically start to draw their card after MY combat phase is done. I've had countless matches where I've had to stop my opponent from drawing their card because I was going to do stuff in main 2. It gets real awkward when I have to say "Whoa wait I'm not done my turn yet" like 5 times in a row. Makes me seem like a rules lawyer when all I'm doing is making the optimal play.

rCIZZLE

You must play at some pretty awesome shops if you have no idea what I'm talking about. Naturally missed triggers, while a lame way to determine a game, aren't as much of a problem. It's the people who will either try to create a missed trigger or talk a non-missed trigger into a missed one.

On a tangent, I find a lot of players don't know about main phase 2.

ie. on their turn they attack as their last action. This makes them automatically start to draw their card after MY combat phase is done. I've had countless matches where I've had to stop my opponent from drawing their card because I was going to do stuff in main 2. It gets real awkward when I have to say "Whoa wait I'm not done my turn yet" like 5 times in a row. Makes me seem like a rules lawyer when all I'm doing is making the optimal play.

Ya this happens at my local shop during draft sometimes. As I'm writing down life totals they'll reach for their library and I have to stop them. On the flip side there are always some quiet players who basically refuse to say "pass" or "end turn". Constantly having to ask "are you done?" gets tiresome.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I can be a fairly intimidating guy so it hasn't happened to me, but I most definitely have seen that kind of douchey behavior happen at literally every game store I've always been to. Some asshat who is the local big shot player trying to talk some poor schlub playing with the cards he opened in the draft into all sorts of bullshit situations. It's fun interrupting those guys. Only had to intervene 2x. I think DotP has helped a lot of new players at least understand the basic rules.

I honestly can say I haven't ran into that and I only play paper magic. I'd ask you to go into more detail about a specific situation but I don't think that is really necessary

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I honestly can say I haven't ran into that and I only play paper magic. I'd ask you to go into more detail about a specific situation but I don't think that is really necessary

Well, most recently a guy was using a spindown dice and he moved it to like 12 when he was supposed to move it to 14 (not 100 on the numbers) and the experienced player tried to convince him that since he marked the life, that's what it had to be. At an FNM. Me and another player intervened and the dick tried to feign misunderstanding.

Top Bottom