• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

rCIZZLE

I honestly can say I haven't ran into that and I only play paper magic. I'd ask you to go into more detail about a specific situation but I don't think that is really necessary

I'll give you a recent one which did happen to me. We were going into game 3 with not much time left so we both agreed to play quickly. I had a quick start and around turn 4 I played stoneforge, grabbed a jitte, played it, equipped to thalia, and swung in. Hitting with jitte pretty much ended the game since he was on elves without much board presence. After writing damage, I grabbed a die and, as I was going to put it on jitte, I said pass. He immediately called judge and tried to say the trigger was missed but thankfully the judge wasn't fooled and even gave us a time extension which I believe was unnecessary.

Please let me know what you think about the two decks I brought with me to Gameday last weekend and this other one I'm just futzing with.

The aggro red took second place, only because of a piloting error in the finals by my girlfriend. It was her first time ever playing anyone besides me, let alone in a competitive setting. I'm pretty proud of her and the deck.

The GR Beater deck took 7th and was picked apart by a blue deck, stalled by a B/W deck, and was only beaten by a GW deck because their deck misfired as an aggro deck 2 games in a row, where it was supposed to be a mid-range deck.

The BW deck is just something I'm toying with. I like the white weenie decks I see out there, but I wanted to see what I could do with splashing blue for some more heroic triggers and a couple combat tricks.

I'm open to suggestions. I've built these decks with only cards I own so far.

Here's my profile on tappedout.

noquarter

You guys are making me feel stupid. I regularly give the opponent FNM matches showing them how they can beat me if they are new. I will usually let the game go, then if I see them doing something that will cause them to lose, or me to win, try to show them the outcome and give suggestions on what else they can do. Just feels better to me to have,them learn how to play and be good then to beat them.

In tournaments I don't do that, but I'm pretty easy to get along with and would rather win clean then by missed trigger announcements.

y2dvd

You guys are making me feel stupid. I regularly give the opponent FNM matches showing them how they can beat me if they are new. I will usually let the game go, then if I see them doing something that will cause them to lose, or me to win, try to show them the outcome and give suggestions on what else they can do. Just feels better to me to have,them learn how to play and be good then to beat them.

In tournaments I don't do that, but I'm pretty easy to get along with and would rather win clean then by missed trigger announcements.

I usually wait until after the match to give noobies tips or advice. But if they didn't understand a rule during the match, I have no problems explaining it to them. I do it because I was a terrible noob when I started out. Hell, I still ask questions all the time. Also, I hope that they would want to come back by giving an encouraging environment. The more the better.

I'll give you a recent one which did happen to me. We were going into game 3 with not much time left so we both agreed to play quickly. I had a quick start and around turn 4 I played stoneforge, grabbed a jitte, played it, equipped to thalia, and swung in. Hitting with jitte pretty much ended the game since he was on elves without much board presence. After writing damage, I grabbed a die and, as I was going to put it on jitte, I said pass. He immediately called judge and tried to say the trigger was missed but thankfully the judge wasn't fooled and even gave us a time extension which I believe was unnecessary.

i can see in this situation he was definitely trying to cheat, but as you said, it meant game over for him. i can definitely see how you wouldn't respect your opponent after a call like that and really, no one could blame you for doing that.

this wouldn't turn me off of the game as much as just that particular player as this isn't a normal occurrence, especially for me.

Well, most recently a guy was using a spindown dice and he moved it to like 12 when he was supposed to move it to 14 (not 100 on the numbers) and the experienced player tried to convince him that since he marked the life, that's what it had to be. At an FNM. Me and another player intervened and the dick tried to feign misunderstanding.

that's definitely a dick move, more so that rCIZZLE player.

I've had opponents play extra lands, draw extra cards, etc, but this was in an FNM atmosphere. Same person in question did this to my brother who was going to beat the shit out of him before I intervened. At these LGS events, I don't take it personal or allow to get myself worked up at such a trivial event but I could see how others might.

OnPoint

I once played a guy, like 15 years ago, that didn't believe summoning sickness was a thing. He just wouldn't buy it, no matter how i tried to explain. So I let him play his way, lost the game to his auto-haste stompy deck, picked my cards up and went home.

I never played him again.

I have no problem illustrating rules I understand to people. You guys are right, encouraging people is the way to go and keeps people playing.

I'm open to suggestions. I've built these decks with only cards I own so far.

Here's my profile on tappedout.
I really like your mono-red list. One route you might want to experiment with is cutting the Ordeals of Purphuros and 2 of the Madcap Skills for 1 Mountain, 2 Mutavaults, and 3 Fanatic of Mogis. Fanatic costs 4 mana (hence the additional lands) but since you have so many RR creatures you could potentially drop him in for huge damage.

The Mutavaults would just be additional face beaters. If you don't feel like dropping the cash for them, just proxy them first, or run basic Mountains instead.

And finally, if you do decide to drop the Auras, that makes your Crusader + Titan's Strength + Coordinated Assault a bit weaker. Try dropping them for Burning Earth to punish other people's greedy manabases. You could also run Flames of the Firebrand, Hammer of Purphoros, Chandra, or more Mindsparkers in the side.

Hope this helps!

I once played a guy, like 15 years ago, that didn't believe summoning sickness was a thing. He just wouldn't buy it, no matter how i tried to explain. So I let him play his way, lost the game to his auto-haste stompy deck, picked my cards up and went home.

I never played him again.

I have no problem illustrating rules I understand to people. You guys are right, encouraging people is the way to go and keeps people playing.

I ran into this sort of thing more often when I used to play on magic workstation

/i cast cabal therapy

opponent : what are you naming?
me : does it resolve?

i explain to him that if I name it card, that means it resolves

i name a card, he tries to counter it

lol

OnPoint

I ran into this sort of thing more often when I used to play on magic workstation

/i cast cabal therapy

me : does it resolve?

i explain to him that if I name it card, that means it resolves

i name a card, he tries to counter it

lol
Haha what a jerk

Some people just won't accept that they don't know all of the rules. It's a complicated game, so I often cede that someone might know more than I do. But sometimes, many times, I know my shit lol

Haha what a jerk

Some people just won't accept that they don't know all of the rules. It's a complicated game, so I often cede that someone might know more than I do. But sometimes, many times, I know my shit lol

yes, many people on that have no idea WTF they are talking about.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk. I merely trying to explain how you play out the situation and that you don't want to learn the hard way at a real tournament.

but i did win a game on WS at negative 122 life?

how you say

oh, just a demon that says you can't win the game if hes in play and your opponent can't lose. I used to have a screen shot of it too, but wiped my laptop since then.

OnPoint

yes, many people on that have no idea WTF they are talking about.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk. I merely trying to explain how you play out the situation and that you don't want to learn the hard way at a real tournament.

but i did win a game on WS at negative 122 life?

how you say

oh, just a demon that says you can't win the game if hes in play and your opponent can't lose. I used to have a screen shot of it too, but wiped my laptop since then.
I didn't think you were a jerk. You explained it. I wouldn't let him counter either.

I only insist on strict rules enforcement on constructed events over $5. I figure there's more at stake, and are typically intended for more competitive play. At FNMs and such I'm usually pretty chill about these things, though I do try to politely request proper turn-order and such, since I think these things make for better games in general.

The place I play at isn't a card shop, it's a draft shop. They draft twice a day 7 days a week and it's mostly regulars. The guy that runs it is an official judge on top of that and runs the basics through new players before each game so I haven't seen any rules weirdness like you guys. But I don't go on fridays or the weekends.

8-16 people for 4PM draft pods on a thursday is pretty nuts though.

y2dvd

I did almost snapped at this one player two weeks ago. He would examine every card multiple times or ask what an ability did to the same card multiple times. It wasn't until I did Jace AoT +1 4 turns in a row, and he asked what it does each time, where I convinced he was trolling. After the 3rd repeat, I reply "It doesn't do anything different as the first two times." On his 4th repeat, I just ignored him.

So he's killing all this time asking the same questions and rereading every damn card. He attacks during combat phase and I take a second to assign blockers. He had the audacity to say I was being slow. I damn near flipped. I stare him in the eyes and raised my voice and said "Are you fuckin kidding me? You're telling me I'm the slow one?" I had to remind myself he is probably a troll player and not to let it get to me. Plus we were the last ones playing in that round so most of the players, including the lgs store owner was watching.

It's not like he's a new player either. I've seen him played FNM before. When he finished his next round with another opponent, I heard that opponent asked if there should be a penalty for players playing that slow. I just laughed.

One kid I used to deal with was impatient as hell. I'd barely finish tapping my attackers before he'd start to literally draw his next card for the turn (his permanents still tapped, mind you) I had to remind him each time that he a) still needed to declare blockers and b) I still get a 2nd main phase.

ultron87

The only time I've ever actually felt slightly cheated at a store event was on Game Day when I was playing against someone playing Esper Control and he won Game 1 after 25 minutes. He then took (what seemed like) forrreeevvvveerrrr to sideboard. It's very possible he actually didn't take a long time and I was just antsy, but it felt fishy. And the guy is probably the sharkiest player at our store, so I wouldn't put it past him. In the end it didn't matter because he smashed me in Game Two anyway.

Is there an actual official time limit for sideboarding and stuff between games? I've looked in the MTR and IPG and don't see anything besides "timely". I feel like I've heard three minutes a lot.

An-Det

The SCG Invitational starting on Legacy means the top 8 will be Legacy right?

The only time I've ever actually felt slightly cheated at a store event was on Game Day when I was playing against someone playing Esper Control and he won Game 1 after 25 minutes. He then took (what seemed like) forrreeevvvveerrrr to sideboard. It's very possible he actually didn't take a long time and I was just antsy, but it felt fishy. And the guy is probably the sharkiest player at our store, so I wouldn't put it past him. In the end it didn't matter because he smashed me in Game Two anyway.

Is there an actual official time limit for sideboarding and stuff between games? I've looked in the MTR and IPG and don't see anything besides "timely". I feel like I've heard three minutes a lot.

There is no official time in the rules now, it looks like the Feb 8, 2013 update removed explicit reference to a number. It's built in as 3 minutes in MTGO (which is what the paper rules used to have as well). It's the reason I used to wear a watch while at tournaments, so I didn't get screwed over by an opponent taking excessive time.

What the fuck is up with the ending of DOTP 2014? It has all the charisma of a virtual reality ride and the credits theme sound like it came from a Tony Hawk game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I just play with a handful of friends around a kitchen table like clockwork every Friday. Saves a lot of drama :p

Also one of our guys passed the test to be a rules advisor, so we defer to him on a lot of stuff.

Why does everyone keep telling me I should swap out my slippery bogles for Geists? Bogles are so easy to cast, and any time I could play Geist, I could have cast a a Bogle and had room left over for a Mana Leak or an Explore. Sure you get an extra 5 damage, but cmon. Eldrazi Conscription doesn't really care which it lands on.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";87464479]Why does everyone keep telling me I should swap out my slippery bogles for Geists? Bogles are so easy to cast, and any time I could play Geist, I could have cast a a Bogle and had room left over for a Mana Leak or an Explore. Sure you get an extra 5 damage, but cmon. Eldrazi Conscription doesn't really care which it lands on.[/QUOTE]

A difference of 5 damage is huge. Often that means you're finishing up a turn sooner, which is critical.

EDIT: I don't know if that means drop bogles. You're talking about Modern Bant Auras, right? I thought Bogle was a staple in that deck.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";87465040]Think it's more important than a counter spell or ramping towards the Sovereigns?[/QUOTE]

In a pinch, Geist can close out a game on it's own.

kirblar

God's Beard is playing a Modern version of Mythic Conscription, not Boggles.

Bogle is good in an all-in aura deck that plays more like a combo deck. Conscription is ramp.

After playing UWR on Cockatrice last night, I'm less sure about the deck. I need a lot of practice over the next 4 weeks. (Been playing xBlade for like, the last 2 years.)

rCIZZLE

God's Beard is playing a Modern version of Mythic Conscription, not Boggles.

Bogle is good in an all-in aura deck that plays more like a combo deck. Conscription is ramp.

After playing UWR on Cockatrice last night, I'm less sure about the deck. I need a lot of practice over the next 4 weeks. (Been playing xBlade for like, the last 2 years.)

The only awkward thing I've really found is how SFM prevents the smooth tempo beatdown. Post board feels amazing though just by having access to RiP, Wear // Tear, and Meddling Mage which can present all kinds of problems that RUG can't. STP and equipment also give it some late game which is comforting.

kirblar

The only awkward thing I've really found is how SFM prevents the smooth tempo beatdown. Post board feels amazing though just by having access to RiP, Wear // Tear, and Meddling Mage which can present all kinds of problems that RUG can't. STP and equipment also give it some late game which is comforting.
Meddling Mage naming Rough is sooo goood.

Okay, the LGS broke down their prerelease packs and were selling the card packs at $4 a pop. Bought 4 red and 1 white: 2 Purphoros, 2 Anax & Cymede, and a Gift of Immortality. I wanted to buy all they had. Didn't have cash on me. They had no blues available.

I may go back for the rest of their reds. I need some trade fodder.

2x Liliana of the Veil showed up today in my mail.
I was so excited upon removing her from the envelope because I didn't know what it was going to be, considering I have quite a few cards expected to arrive.

She's sweet, and the cards appear to be mint / near mint as well. I still kick myself for not playing during the Innistrad era but at least I can still get to play her in Modern.

JulianImp

You must play at some pretty awesome shops if you have no idea what I'm talking about. Naturally missed triggers, while a lame way to determine a game, aren't as much of a problem. It's the people who will either try to create a missed trigger or talk a non-missed trigger into a missed one.

Ya this happens at my local shop during draft sometimes. As I'm writing down life totals they'll reach for their library and I have to stop them. On the flip side there are always some quiet players who basically refuse to say "pass" or "end turn". Constantly having to ask "are you done?" gets tiresome.

I hate communication errors (partly due to being a judge and knowing how hairy they can get), so I often gesture my way as I draw, cast spells or block (placing cards on top of their intended targets) and even do an extended hand gesture as I say "go". The less chances my actions have of being mistaken for something else, the better both of us can play. Newbies feel more at ease, and more competitive players realize you know what you're doing, making them care less about playing a game of "gotcha" and more about, you know, actually playing Magic.

Kacar

He doesn't look like a cop, can't be sure though. Looks like he's in his early 20's. He's cool though.

Maybe its fake and just an intimidation factor.

Edit: he is a cop.

Top Bottom