• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

That was one of the nice touches I enjoyed about Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014. Some cards like It That Betrays have unique moving art when you zoom in on the card. I'd love to see that happen more often since it looks freaking awesome.

I believe that effect is on the Mythic Rares.
Grave Titan has the zombies in his abdomen area writhing around.

Not exactly the same, but does share some similarities.

Image.ashx

Did a GTC draft today, got a foil one in one of my packs. I was drafting dimir and also got Soul Ransom, Lazav, Diluvian Primordial and Lord of the Void. Super happy.

I have a question about your guys' trade binders.

I'm thinking about building one, and I think I'm just going to go with the route of getting a regular 3-ring binder and putting in the Ultra Pro Silver Series Pocket Page Protectors.

The main reason I want this method instead of a "prebuilt" trade binder, is for one I can have the ease of being able to move pages around if I need to, and I can also add more pages if I fill it up rather than having to buy a whole new trade binder.

Now my question for you guys is how do you guys organize your binders? Do you organize rares to uncommons to commons? Do you organize by color? By set?

I'm trying to get ideas of how I want to organize mine.

I have a question about your guys' trade binders.

I'm thinking about building one, and I think I'm just going to go with the route of getting a regular 3-ring binder and putting in the Ultra Pro Silver Series Pocket Page Protectors.

The main reason I want this method instead of a "prebuilt" trade binder, is for one I can have the ease of being able to move pages around if I need to, and I can also add more pages if I fill it up rather than having to buy a whole new trade binder.

Now my question for you guys is how do you guys organize your binders? Do you organize rares to uncommons to commons? Do you organize by color? By set?

I seriously need a trade binder myself because hauling all of my rares in a fat pack box gets a little old. I'm also leery about having the whole game store just thumbing through cards while I'm talking to someone.

With that said I think it would be beneficial to have them sorted by set, because some people may be looking for Modern while others looking for Standard, etc. Most people will probably want Standard, just based off of my own experience.

If it's sorted by color you could have a ton of older stuff mixed in and if you happen to have newer players looking at it, they could get confused that they couldn't play it.

I also just really care about the rares and maybe choice uncommons. (some uncommons are five bucks or more nowadays)

Just my two cents.

Store by color, then by converted mana cost. That way, if someone knows what they want, they can find it quickly. If someone doesn't know what they want, they can start shopping for what they may need by slots in their mana curve. And it tends to help in your trading because 1-4 cmc tends to be the sweet spot in most formats.

Also, as a tip, if you are building a trade binder, only put cards you will actively give up for any trade in there. The absolute worst thing you can hear from someone when you are paging through their trade offerings is that something is not available for trade. Keep your show-offs in a different binder or something.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";94719454]Did a GTC draft today, got a foil one in one of my packs. I was drafting dimir and also got Soul Ransom, Lazav, Diluvian Primordial and Lord of the Void. Super happy.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you will get lucky and it will see some serious play. :)

Karakand

1. Cards I'm currently using for a deck (e.g. running less than a playset while owning one, alternative sideboard cards, foils / foreign language versions I'm working towards a playset of)
  2. Nonbasic land
  3. Artifacts
  4. WUBRG
  5. Basic land
  6. Tokens
Within each of those sections (excluding #1 above):

1. Cash money cards
  2. Chase cards in the format I primarily play in
  3. Playsets of staples
  4. Cards I have a sentimental attachment to

With that said I think it would be beneficial to have them sorted by set, because some people may be looking for Modern while others looking for Standard, etc. Most people will probably want Standard, just based off of my own experience.

I have all standard cards at the moment, because I just started playing a few months ago, but I guess set would come into play come next year when M14 rotates out.

Store by color, then by converted mana cost.

Are you saying dedicate a single page for each color and each CMC? That seems like that could get out of hand really quickly, and leave a lot of blank spots open.

1. Cards I'm currently using for a deck (e.g. running less than a playset while owning one, alternative sideboard cards, foils / foreign language versions I'm working towards a playset of)
  2. Nonbasic land
  3. Artifacts
  4. WUBRG
  5. Basic land
  6. Tokens
Within each of those sections (excluding #1 above):

1. Cash money cards
  2. Chase cards in the format I primarily play in
  3. Playsets of staples
  4. Cards I have a sentimental attachment to

Sounds like you use your binder more for your own sake of organization and less for trading?

Firemind

Just put all your money cards in one half and fun commander cards in the other half, sorted by colour.

As for the first page, I put nine old border legends, at least one mono legend of each colour. These are: Spirit of the Night, Radiant Archangel, Ascendant Evincar, Arcanis Omnipotent, Multani Maro-Sorcerer, Kamahl Pit Fighter, Volrath the Fallen, Sliver Queen and Mageta the Lion.

Black has all the cool legends.

ultron87

I have the unfortunate habit of keeping my playsets of stuff I'll likely never trade in the same binder I give people for trading. Should probably make a second binder for trades. But it'd be so empty.

Are you saying dedicate a single page for each color and each CMC? That seems like that could get out of hand really quickly, and leave a lot of blank spots open.

No, just go by color. Then 1cmc, 2cmc, etc til the next color. No breaks or anything unless you want to leave room to reorganize. It's a good way for framing the shopping especially if you're trading Modern and Legacy. Another good one is alphabetical order, but that always leaves out the "what would be good at 2cmc" shopping that I sometimes find success with.

No, just go by color. Then 1cmc, 2cmc, etc til the next color. No breaks or anything unless you want to leave room to reorganize. It's a good way for framing the shopping especially if you're trading Modern and Legacy. Another good one is alphabetical order, but that always leaves out the "what would be good at 2cmc" shopping that I sometimes find success with.

Both of those would require a lot of reorganization (i.e. shifting around cards, meaning taking cards in and out to move them around) whenever I want to put in new cards. That amount of work doesn't seem to be worth the leisure of finding cards alphabetically or by CMC.

I think I'm going to settle with just sorting by color, and maybe throw in a twist, like all rares in the front or something. I'm still not sure how I would do sets, as that seems like that would also kinda get out of hand, but it would make it really easy to rotate standard stuff out of the binder.

I like my way of rares and choice uncommons (there are just a few that are actually worth something) sorted by color and format with Standard specifically set aside.

If they need something for Standard and are playing Green and White they know where to look.

I think a trade binder should be pretty lean and fast to go through because from my experience there may be a "line" of people wanting to go through it and there's only so much time between rounds at FNM.

That's a pretty solid card without a real home right now, from what I can tell. It would be a card to build the framework of a deck with if it were 1 cmc less or 1 loyalty more.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Neato. Finally, a UG Planeswalker.

Going to pick up a playset just on principle.

kirblar

Neato. Finally, a UG Planeswalker.

Going to pick up a playset just on principle.
And thus the G/W one is in set 3 to complete all 10 pars.

Looks like BOTG will likely have Allied colored gods at Mythic with the remaining enemy color gold mythics from the Theros cycle.

ultron87

I really don't like the art. It is like, yo, we got this wave and then grey background, I dunno. Woo, Planeswalker!

Every site posting Holiday Cube videos makes me happy.

Haly

The full art is a lot better.

ehipbczbuu.jpg

Obviously meant to evoke:

Given the size of the art box on cards, obviously something was lost in translation.

Haly

What I hate most about her is that her tokens don't have any evasion. They should at least have Trample.

It gets countered by:

Master of Waves
Elspeth

Both of which are highly relevant. Basically, any token maker would shut it down, assuming she even gets to it.

So really, all she is a reusable Explore.

(Youare making me so sad with these art comments, guys, seriously.)

OnPoint

What I hate most about her is that her tokens don't have any evasion. They should at least have Trample.

It gets countered by:

Master of Waves
Elspeth

Both of which are highly relevant. Basically, any token maker would shut it down, assuming she even gets to it.

So really, all she is a reusable Explore.

(Youare making me so sad with these art comments, guys, seriously.)

OK well, let's analyze it.

4 CMC, 2 loyalty - Kinda sucks, makes it less than Modern and Legacy playable. So from this vantage point, it's a standard PW. Could be pretty fun in EDH as well. That's fine.

Ability 1. What permanent are you scared of here? I guess it neuters Boros Reckoner's ability pretty good. Nightveil Specter too. Maybe something out there we don't know about yet? Right now, this looks like kind of a waste of an ability.

Ability 2. Explore. Awesome card. Would kind of suck to Drop her and Explore, bringing her down to one loyalty and near death. Maybe it's useful in a control build to do this?

Ability 3. You already kind of said it. Cool, but the lack of evasion makes it a pretty meatheaded ultimate. These things could be stopped by tripping over a rock. They trigger evolve, right? That's the UG mechanic from RTR block. So maybe it's good in an evolve deck, you know, triggering evolve every turn?

Honestly, right now, I'm not impressed. She's not awful, but she currently doesn't seem to have much of a home in standard. She's probably best used in EDH, where a reusable Explore could be fun, and you could neuter an opponent's commander.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The full art is a lot better.

ehipbczbuu.jpg

Obviously meant to evoke:

Given the size of the art box on cards, obviously something was lost in translation.

That is awesome!!!

Ability
1) Protect my ass, please.
2) lol brb exploring
3) Go, attack useless creature!

Haly

She's too safe.

DAMNIT WIZARDS, WHY MUST JACE BE THE ONLY GOOD PLANESWALKER YOU EVER PRINT?

Anyway I fixed Kiora. Consider this my Christmas gift to MagicGAF.

iBM8s88Rjm7ie.png

ibkJtMzaZRCRI7.png

Lucario

-4 mana
+can protect herself from one creature
+generates card advantage from her -1
-only 2 loyalty
-no immediate impact without putting her to 1 loyalty

I do see the problem with giving her three loyalty. If you protect her, that's a lot of potential ramp + draw! Unfortunately, keeping her at two loyalty means she can't go above 3 on the turn you play her.

Even if you want to just get the 'value' out of her -- -1 as soon as she hits play, hope your opponent has no creatures so you can -1 again next turn -- that's two explores for 4 mana, and it's dependent on you protecting a planeswalker. Compare to what you get out of using Jace AoT's -2 twice, that isn't exactly impressive.

As printed, you'll have to protect her a lot to be able to even get three cards out of her. And virtually every planeswalker ever will do wonderful things for you if you protect them.

This is a bad card, but it is a pretty damn fun design, and will see a ton of casual play. Everyone loves bigass ramp spells that can prevent their opponent's fatties from swinging in!

edit: Reddit loves her, so selling preorders is a good call. They're ranting about how she'll make U/G ramp competitive and downvoting anyone who points out that she only has two loyalty :lol

She seems very solid against mono-black devotion, though. Starting to think I'm underestimating her +1, but she still doesn't have enough starting loyalty to do much.

y2dvd

3cmc for 2 loyalty sounded more fair. 4cmc is so much.

On the subject of organizing. I have a binder for Standards, and a binder for every other rare. I got them split by colors and then set. I throw in whatever crappy rares as I can fit. I had people trade me for the worst of rares.

Crocodile

Starting Loyalty: 2

Excalibur%20Face.png

Everything else about the card seems fine but ugh at that starting loyalty :( Talk about a boner killer. The "dream" is almost always better than the reality when it comes to planeswalkers.

4cc is the sweet spot theoretically for a ramping planeswalker, but I really don't like that loyalty. At the same time, she does kinda protect herself with her plus ability, which historically is a very good attribute for a planeswalker to have. But then she just dies to Lightning Strike... I think this really was a missed opportunity.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
She definitely feels like a Commander card. The problem is that she just needs time, even producing 9/9 Kraken's every turn isn't going to win you the game on the turn you activate it like many other ultimates do. I like her and I'll grab a few copies for various decks but yeah, she doesn't seem very powerful.

An-Det

Nice to finally see Kiora show up. I like it, very flavorful, though she really should have been either 3 cmc or 3 loyalty.

Hex

Banned
I approve and love it, bring on the haters and the elitists

1 Lock down something big and nasty/ protect herself.
2 card advantage and dump land from hand
3 whatever, cute if you get it but whatever.

Top Bottom