• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Hex

Banned
What I hate most about her is that her tokens don't have any evasion. They should at least have Trample.

It gets countered by:

Master of Waves
Elspeth

Both of which are highly relevant. Basically, any token maker would shut it down, assuming she even gets to it.

So really, all she is a reusable Explore.

(Youare making me so sad with these art comments, guys, seriously.)

The green god does give all creatures trample, you do not have to have all of your eggs in one basket.
She is far more than a reusable explore.
Being able to prevent all damage dealt by a PERMANENT is rather handy.
Think about this. NOT combat damage and NOT a creature. damage from an artifact, an enchantment, a land.
This can save your ass.
There are quite a few ways this may be brewed into something.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
A deck that would play this and a deck that would play Nylea are two completely different kinds of decks.

The permanent thing has the upside of hitting planeswalkers like Ral, Chandra and Angry Ajani but, design wise, its so she can use her +1 without needing creatures on the battlefield.

Hex

Banned
A deck that would play this and a deck that would play Nylea are two completely different kinds of decks.

The permanent thing has the upside of hitting planeswalkers like Ral, Chandra and Angry Ajani but, design wise, its so she can use her +1 without needing creatures on the battlefield.

The kind of idiot that would be worried about actually hitting the ultimate would be the type to play it with Nylea.

Hex

Banned
The more text there is on the card, the slower people will catch onto how good it is.

My general experience from the cesspool that is mtg salvation and just the past few years in general since getting back involved is that for the general masses it takes someone else to tell them a card is good or to make a deck for them before they are allowed to have a positive opinion on a card.

kirblar

My general experience from the cesspool that is mtg salvation and just the past few years in general since getting back involved is that for the general masses it takes someone else to tell them a card is good or to make a deck for them before they are allowed to have a positive opinion on a card.
Don't complain about it. Leverage it. I got my Deathrites for 3 each, for instance.

Hex

Banned
Don't complain about it. Leverage it. I got my Deathrites for 3 each, for instance.

Oh I love it, I was tossing LOL trolls and small bits of cash out the door for Deathrites + and Sphinx's Revs at the pre-release.

Spoiler season and pre-release season is always fun no matter how else you feel about the game.

Crocodile

Mostly bad but will probably be brutal in certain matchups (Control Decks are not going to like her played against them.)

Is there such a thing as a PW that's actively bad against control decks? Like the whole card type excels against that deck archetype as the best way to combat planeswalkers is to be proactive (though they have been good about printing more spells that interact with the card type recently).

kirblar

League of Legends trolls?

Anyway, there is no current standard deck to utilize her, so we'll have to see if she fits anywhere.
There is one but it's tier ..3? (Maze's End.)

Some PWs aren't that great- 3cc Ajani is one - his abilities just aren't impactful enough. Or Vraska, who's more of a utility spell than an actual threat.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't think a PW should ever be judged based on their ultimate, which is more of a "cool"/"awesome" thing. The first and the second abilities are whst really defines whether a PW is playable or not.

But then she just dies to Lightning Strike... I think this really was a missed opportunity.

Whoa, I didn't know you could Lightning Strike planeswalker, so I looked it up and I'm still a lil' confused. It says that you can "redirect" the damage, so does that mean you cast Lightning Strike on your opponent and when it resolves you say you actually want it to do damage to the planeswalker? Can the opponent block with a minion? Do they have to redirect the damage, or do they have the choice to take the damage themselves?

Karakand

Some PWs aren't that great- 3cc Ajani is one - his abilities just aren't impactful enough. Or Vraska, who's more of a utility spell than an actual threat.

exeiERw.jpg

y2dvd

Whoa, I didn't know you could Lightning Strike planeswalker, so I looked it up and I'm still a lil' confused. It says that you can "redirect" the damage, so does that mean you cast Lightning Strike on your opponent and when it resolves you say you actually want it to do damage to the planeswalker? Can the opponent block with a minion? Do they have to redirect the damage, or do they have the choice to take the damage themselves?

With creatures, you declare if you want to attack the player or the planeswalker. Each creature can choose to attack one or the other. Creatures can't redirect damage unless it's something like Boro's Reckoner that can target players, but then the dmg can be redirected like how you mentioned with the Lightning Strike.

With creatures, you declare if you want to attack the player or the planeswalker. Each creature can choose to attack one or the other. Creatures can't redirect damage unless it's something like Boro's Reckoner that can target players, but then the dmg can be redirected like how you mentioned with the Lightning Strike.

Yeah, I understand that part, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around the Lightning Strike being redirected. If I cast Lightning Strike on my opponent and then redirect it to a Planeswalker, does the opponent get to choose whether they want it to hit the planeswalker or themselves. Can they block the lightning strike with a creature?

ultron87

When you deal direct, noncombat damage to an opponent you can pick to redirect to a Planeswalker at the time the damage happens. So you technically should say "bolt you" and then when it resolves deal the damage to their Jace instead. But saying "Bolt Jace" is a perfectly valid shortcut that is almost always used.

It is your choice, not your opponents.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, I understand that part, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around the Lightning Strike being redirected. If I cast Lightning Strike on my opponent and then redirect it to a Planeswalker, does the opponent get to choose whether they want it to hit the planeswalker or themselves. Can they block the lightning strike with a creature?

What Ultron said. Basically rather then errata every single previous card that deals direct damage to say "or planeswalker" they changed the rules so that when a planeswalker is out you have the re-direct option. The intent was to make it as functionally close to "bolt Jace" as possible, although there are a few weird interactions with the whole redirect thing where targeting a player at first does matter

Lucario

After thinking about it for a while: new pw is pretty sweet against mono-black devotion. Shuts off Desecration Demon, Nightveil Specter, Mutavault, etc.

Also not the worst card for control mirrors, but her +1 can't really do anything to Obzedat or Aetherling.

Still don't love the card -- having two loyalty severely limits her playability -- but she might have her applications if a deck capable of sideboarding her emerges.

What Ultron said. Basically rather then errata every single previous card that deals direct damage to say "or planeswalker" they changed the rules so that when a planeswalker is out you have the re-direct option. The intent was to make it as functionally close to "bolt Jace" as possible, although there are a few weird interactions with the whole redirect thing where targeting a player at first does matter

Ah, okay, very interesting. I'm guessing one of the interactions you're talking about if if the player has something like True Believer in play?

OnPoint

Shame you can't tag a TNN with that plus 1. Almost makes sense since the ability comes from a PW and not a player. Alas, it's not meant to be.

Wynnebeck

Banned
She can't keep the opponent from devotion. Garbage.

Fanatic of Mogis says hi.

Gray Merchant says hi as well.

The green god does give all creatures trample, you do not have to have all of your eggs in one basket.
She is far more than a reusable explore.
Being able to prevent all damage dealt by a PERMANENT is rather handy.
Think about this. NOT combat damage and NOT a creature. damage from an artifact, an enchantment, a land.
This can save your ass.
There are quite a few ways this may be brewed into something.

Mostly bad but will probably be brutal in certain matchups (Control Decks are not going to like her played against them.)

Lol what? This card does nothing to prevent a good control deck from either countering her, exiling her, or just killing her outright with Hero's Downfall. I think the real decks that will have trouble are aggro decks. Being able to lock down a turn 3 Polukranos or Nightveil Specter is great despite the 4CMC cost. This card seems to be more useful as a ramp amplifier. Overall, not very good, but Id expect it to do some work in EDH.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Hero's Downfall has affected every PW to the point where most of them now just suck ass. I think when that card is gone WotC is never going to reprint it unless they accidentally release another JtMS

kirblar

Hero's Downfall has affected every PW to the point where most of them now just suck ass. I think when that card is gone WotC is never going to reprint it unless they accidentally release another JtMS
J, AoT reealllly needed to start at 3 Loyalty, not 4. He's pretty ridiculous and warped a lot of things.

y2dvd

More dual color PW plz. Kinda weird they gave Gruul 2 PW in the same Standards rotation when there are still plenty of dual colors w/o a PW.

Garba question...
I've been away from mtg for quite some years (last expansion i bothered with was time spiral)..
Sold pretty much all my card, fetch ed quite a LOT at that time so all is good..
I'd like to get back in the gig, and my target is the modern format..
Browser some online list and holyfuck, prices have skyrocketed..
Is there a competitive deck that i can complete with 200-250 eur starting from scratches ?
Tarmogoyf for 100 eur each is a tad too much...

Garba question...
I've been away from mtg for quite some years (last expansion i bothered with was time spiral)..
Sold pretty much all my card, fetch ed quite a LOT at that time so all is good..
Is there a competitive deck that i can complete with 200-250 eur starting from scratches ?

I'm very new to the format myself, however I do love it despite it not really being played in my local town.

Some budget decks I know of are Living End, Soul Sisters, Death Cloud, and Reanimator, but there may be more...

Some of those decks aren't quite budget friendly but not using fetch lands will help out. Also, I'm not sure exactly how competitive they are or how competitive you want to be.
For example, Living End and Reanimator can fail to combo leaving you with nothing. But if they do go off they are pretty sweet.

Others may be able to help you further.

Karakand

Garba question...

Excluding sideboard, Affinity (if you can be patient when hunting for Mox Opals).

f0rk

The problem with budget Modern decks is that while you don't make any compromises (you play the best cards you can in the archetype), they are very narrow and not something you can really add to - if you want to play a top deck at some point you won't use any of the cards you spent that £200-£300 on and will be starting from scratch again. So I'd suggest saving more and brewing some budget jank yourself and play that with the relevant fetches or a few of the staples.

Affinity is probably the exception to this in that it's actually a good deck compared to those blindrocket listed. I think it's still a fair bit of money though.

Firemind

There's U/R Splinter Twin, R/W Spinter Twin, U/R Storm, U/R Delver, U/W Tron, Infect Aggro, The Deck That Shall Not Be Named.

Fetch lands are not as important in two colour decks. Mana base should be fine.

Karakand

Affinity is probably the exception to this in that it's actually a good deck compared to those blindrocket listed. I think it's still a fair bit of money though.

The reprint love it got in Modern Masters helps a lot. 250 EUR is around 350 USD, you can get all the mythics and rares for under that and its commons and uncommons are fairly narrow in their use (i.e. cheap).

Its sideboard choices (e.g. Thoughtseize) will break the cost threshold though.

Even without the Mox Opals I think that Affinity is out of his budget.

Affinity is also called Robots, FYI.

Also, I should have listed monoblack Infect. There's a budget version of that which runs a hundred dollars.

EDIT: Well I didn't catch Euros at first. Okay your money will go further than my stinky American dollars. :D

Karakand

It is kind of funny that a deck that's now without affinity is still called Affinity. It's not even the kind of "missing the point" name G/W Hexproof is, just inaccurate (I guess "Metalcraft" doesn't conjure the same feelings).

kirblar

It is kind of funny that a deck that's now without affinity is still called Affinity. It's not even the kind of "missing the point" name G/W Hexproof is, just inaccurate (I guess "Metalcraft" doesn't conjure the same feelings).
The deck's been called affinity for a decade now. It also does occasionally play Thoughtcast. This one's important due to history. Unlike many Legacy names.

An-Det

Yeah, as Kirblar said it's mostly just the history. Hell, I concede that Robots is much more accurate these days, but it just feels wrong and throws away the legacy of the deck.

Still better than people who call Dredge "Ichorid". That's just stupid.

Firemind

I will never understand why Team America is named Team America.

Here are some estimate prices of these stock lists using tcgplayer mid prices:

Soul Sisters: $150 (budget version) - $225
Living End: $381
Reanimator: $420 - $460
Robots / Affinity: $450
GR Tron: $470 (there's another version that is about $410)
Doran: $486 (I doubt this is competitive)

These are probably the cheapest STOCK decks I know of. You can make them cheaper by substituting cards, such as the lands.

Top Bottom