• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Karakand

Yeah, as Kirblar said it's mostly just the history. Hell, I concede that Robots is much more accurate these days, but it just feels wrong and throws away the legacy of the deck.

Still better than people who call Dredge "Ichorid". That's just stupid.

I have to smile seeing you and kirblar talk about preserving the history / legacy of a deck that destroyed a Standard season so thoroughly that it had to be banned out of existence. (I understand the point being made.)

I have a soft spot for Torment so I can't be impartial about Ichorid.dec's name. It is very weird to see that card lend its name to a deck--especially that deck--in 2013 and beyond, however.

I will never understand why Team America is named Team America.

IIRC, it evolved from a humorous deck mainly comprised of cards the American Legacy metagame of the time visibly eschewed.

Just won a swiss draft with a self milling green/black deck. I thought I might go 0-3 without a whip, but I splashed prophet of kruphix and polis crusher, then fixed with a unicorn, amulet, and nylea's presence. Prophet just murders people if they don't have a lot of removal.

I learned that rescue from the underworld puts both creatures onto the battlefield in no particular order, so gray merchant hits feed off of each other when you sac one merchant for another.

Best part is that after winning the event I ended up with less stuff than when I entered. 3 packs, worthless cards, and no tickets for going undefeated. Okay...

I'm thinking about finally going out of my normal budget range when building standard decks and trying to build a deck for around ~$100.

I was eyeing mono-black devotion or mono-blue devotion. Do these decks still fair well in the current meta? What is the current meta for that matter?

Both of these are very good, if a little too common right now.

I run mono black and I've won a couple of events recently, and have also placed highly in a few others. It's a very versatile deck with few weaknesses. I don't know if you can build a proper deck for that budget, though. Mutavaults alone are almost your entire budget.

Firemind

I'm partial to Solidarity which doesn't run a single copy of Solidarity and is a monoblue High Tide deck.

WELCOME TO LEGACY

Why not just call it High Tide?!

At least Full English Breakfast sounds funny.

And don't get me started on Canadian Thresh.

I'm thinking about finally going out of my normal budget range when building standard decks and trying to build a deck for around ~$100.

I was eyeing mono-black devotion or mono-blue devotion. Do these decks still fair well in the current meta? What is the current meta for that matter?

I would not go for those decks as they're kind of expensive and dumb to play with. I played mono blue against mono black and it's pretty much luck of the draw.

Personally, I'm going to play Boros in the next PTQ. Here's a list:

10 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Triumph

4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Boros Charm
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix

2 Chandra, Pyromaster

SB:
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Assemble the Legion
4 Toil // Trouble
3 Spark Trooper

Should cost you around $100 excluding sideboard. No Mutavaults. Yay!

I would not go for those decks as they're kind of expensive and dumb to play with. I played mono blue against mono black and it's pretty much luck of the draw.

Personally, I'm going to play Boros in the next PTQ. Here's a list:

10 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Triumph

4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Boros Charm
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix

2 Chandra, Pyromaster

SB:
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Assemble the Legion
4 Toil // Trouble
3 Spark Trooper

Should cost you around $100 excluding sideboard. No Mutavaults. Yay!

That's nearing $150 on TCG Player without the side board! 0_0

Karakand

Why not just call it High Tide?!

At least Full English Breakfast sounds funny.

And don't get me started on Canadian Thresh.

It's not called High Tide because there's another deck with a cleaner line of descent from the old Type 1.x deck that uses the name. (It runs Time Spiral, some other Urza's block "untap X lands" cards, Merchant Scroll, etc.) Solidarity originated from the days when Legacy's banned list wasn't severed from Vintage's restricted list so while it uses High Tide to fuel its wins, its heritage is distinct. (e.g. playing Reset)

RIP FEB you made Phage the Untouchable a playable card.

Wait, Team America isn't a Blue, White, Red deck? That's fucking insanity.

We'll always have Miss America.

To be fair, deck names have been fucking stupid since the dawn of time. Sligh and Ponza immediately jump to mind.

Sligh makes sense, since it's named after one of the first guys to make the deck famous.

And I was rather fond of the era when all the top tier combo decks were named after cereals. That was a fun time.

Even without the Mox Opals I think that Affinity is out of his budget.

Affinity is also called Robots, FYI.

Also, I should have listed monoblack Infect. There's a budget version of that which runs a hundred dollars.

EDIT: Well I didn't catch Euros at first. Okay your money will go further than my stinky American dollars. :D
Not really bro..
Goyf lists for 120..
They lists for 110 eur..
Sigh

Anyway..
Found in an old stash 4x of a LOT of shockland, 4x of every fetch, 4x wog foil, 4x damnation with limited artwork, 4x ravager and most of old style affinity, 14 mixed chn dual, 4x chrome mox and some more kinky stuff..
Apparently i didn't sell everything

OnPoint

Got my 4th and final Underground Sea for Xmas. Also got a Show and Tell and a Liliana from my best friend. Super shocked.

You guys get anything good?

f0rk

Not really bro..
Goyf lists for 120..
They lists for 110 eur..
Sigh

Anyway..
Found in an old stash 4x of a LOT of shockland, 4x of every fetch, 4x wog foil, 4x damnation with limited artwork, 4x ravager and most of old style affinity, 14 mixed chn dual, 4x chrome mox and some more kinky stuff..
Apparently i didn't sell everything

With all those fetches you can probably make any deck without Goyf/Lilliana for your budget. They were definitely good keeps!

With all those fetches you can probably make any deck without Goyf/Lilliana for your budget. They were definitely good keeps!
I'll add.. Found all ita dual land 4x !
I asked my cousin to sell every card when i moved to Milan, apparently he didn't listen..
I'll search my room for more! Brb!

MjFrancis

I came across my second favorite bit of flavor text today:

shrivel.jpg

"Do not weep for the frail. Their time couldn't have been that far off."

Second only to:

finaljudgment.jpg

"The clashing warriors turned to face O-Kagachi, the greatest kami, and their sigh of awe was their last breath."

Which brings me to ask anyone here if they have a piece of flavor text that sticks out for them. There's thousands to choose from at this point, so I know it's hard to pick one or two that are favorites.

Firemind

"To make peace with the forest, make peace with me."—Multani, to Urza
Multani, Maro-Sorcerer

While it's true most Dragons are cruel, the Shivan Dragon seems to take particular glee in the misery of others, often tormenting its victims much like a cat plays with a mouse before delivering the final blow.
Shivan Dragon

"Well, at least all of that arm-waving and arcane babbling you did was impressive."
Remand

"Yes, I think ‘toast' is an appropriate description."—Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
Incinerate

"Catch!"
Lava Axe

red13th

Mine are the Love Song of Night and Day from various cards in Mirage, and the little parables by Karn in stuff like old Bottle Gnomes, old Spellbook and others. Also random flavourful stuff, like Mesa Pegasus, are very nostalgic and evocative.
Recent flavour text is mostly shit since it's either lame attempts at humour or cringeworthy "badass quotes" from named characters.

alternade

Was talking to a friend on how there isn't an official MTG app. Kind of a lost opportunity. He was talking about it being used for decklist at tournaments via qr codes or something else. What would you guys like to see in an app?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Was talking to a friend on how there isn't an official MTG app. Kind of a lost opportunity. He was talking about it being used for decklist at tournaments via qr codes or something else. What would you guys like to see in an app?

There is one, it's called the MTG toolbox or something like that. They haven't updated in a while though.

It's got a life counter and access to the card database to look up rules and such.

ultron87

Werebear and Gorilla Titan constantly battle for my favorite text. They're both soooo dumb and I love them.

Werebear- "He exercises his right to bear arms."

An-Det

I've always been partial to Goblin Welder's flavor text myself.

Image.ashx

"I wrecked your metal guy, boss. But look I made you an ashtray."

Karakand

lol MaRo talked about Reparations' flavor text in the Drive to Work podcast about Mirage. He wrote it while at the office late one night IIRC.

Orcish Artillery is solid
gold

ultron87

Apparently the only deck I'm ever allowed to draft in cube is Green/Black ramp. But hey, this one has Channel/Ulamog.

Also, is Sol Ring the right pick over Black Lotus? I felt like it was.

An-Det

P1P1 absolutely. I think if you're going the Storm route and already have Yawgmoth's Will you could make the argument for Lotus later on.

OnPoint

Man I hate when I'm not doing much on a Saturday and there are no tournaments to watch.

Guess I'll find something else to do with my time haha

Top Bottom