• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

kirblar

How do you poop when you have balls that big? I mean, they must be touching the water unless you sling them over your shoulder or something.
He's in a losing position no matter how he plays that straight. The SnT is his best out to a winning position.

An-Det

Kibler vs Finkel in a mtgo cube match has been awesome so far. Finkel won game 1 even after a crazy punt where he Mystical Tutor'ed Timetwister and then accidentally shuffled it away. Going into game 2 now. Also Drew Levin, Efro, Shahar, and Huey are all in the chat, and maybe more that I dont know/are hidden.

http://www.multitwitch.tv/bmkibler/jonnymagic00

Edit: weird, both Solemn Simulacrum and Memory Lapse are showing as different art for each of them. Is this supposed to be a thing?

kirblar

Kibler vs Finkel in a mtgo cube match has been awesome so far. Finkel won game 1 even after a crazy punt where he Mystical Tutor'ed Timetwister and then accidentally shuffled it away. Going into game 2 now. Also Drew Levin, Efro, Shahar, and Huey are all in the chat, and maybe more that I dont know/are hidden.

http://www.multitwitch.tv/bmkibler/jonnymagic00

Edit: weird, both Solemn Simulacrum and Memory Lapse are showing as different art for each of them. Is this supposed to be a thing?
Custom art.

Firemind

I googled it and copied it to the appropriate folder. Much better now, especially OG Lightning Bolt, Wrath of God, Sol Ring, the Moxes and, of course, Black Lotus.

Watching, as a spectator, Modern format games on MTGO is pretty interesting! You get to see some pretty wild brews.

I was jumping from game to game trying to find a match that featured a deck that I want to play just to see how it works but I didn't really have any luck seeing Jund or anything on that level.

I did see mono black devotion which was neat. Phyrexian Obliterator seems so sweet I don't see why he wasn't that sought after before. Someone attacked with a 7/7 creature, he blocked with the Obliterator and they were forced to sac 7 permanents! Which was... EVERYTHING THEY HAD. Pretty stupid to attack with that thing untapped.

I saw a LOT of Junk and Rock (Golgari colors). A lot of Kitchen Finks, Murderous Redcaps, Restoration Angels.... even an Emrakul that was cast only with enchanted lands.

I saw someone trying to get the Melira, Sylvok Outcast and Kitchen Finks combo going which made me grin.

It's the wild west out there on MODO.

OnPoint

Modern is so intriguing. If I were to get into it, I'd want to play some sort of comboish build. Either MeliraPod or Urzatron. They just seem fun to play.

Modern is so close to being an amazing format. I'm still really bummed about the banning of Seething Song; with Storm and Eggs now gone, the format doesn't have a real "unfair" deck left (other than Twin and Pod, both of which are growing more and more midrangy with each iteration). One of the appeals (to me anyway) of these wider formats is having representatives from different historical archetypes, and missing Storm (or even something Storm-ish) is sad to me.

Lucario

Modern is so close to being an amazing format. I'm still really bummed about the banning of Seething Song; with Storm and Eggs now gone, the format doesn't have a real "unfair" deck left (other than Twin and Pod, both of which are growing more and more midrangy with each iteration). One of the appeals (to me anyway) of these wider formats is having representatives from different historical archetypes, and missing Storm (or even something Storm-ish) is sad to me.

Eggs needed to die, but I agree that Seething Song was a bullshit card to ban.

The format has plenty of unfair decks, though! Storm and Living End can both perform in dailies to some extent. Scapeshift is also pretty unfair and uninteractive, and the more focused Twin decks are still showing up.

I've been playing Living End versus just about anything lately and it's pretty powerful, if uninteractive to an extent.

I let my friend play my Jund deck while I played Living End and I beat him every time.
We swapped decks and he managed to Living End with one life point left. I was at 20 life but dead with his next turn and I had no creatures to attack with. Thankfully casting Chandra Pyromaster I dealt the last one bit of damage to him and won. It was a very close game.

Firemind

Modern is so intriguing. If I were to get into it, I'd want to play some sort of comboish build. Either MeliraPod or Urzatron. They just seem fun to play.

Playing Tron in Modern is the definition of not fun, seeing how much nonbasic land hate everyone and their mother seems to run. Living End runs Fulminator Mages main, Rock runs Tectonic Edges main and Fulminator Mages sideboard. Jund runs Fulminator Mages sideboard. Merfolk runs Spreading Seas sideboard. Hate Bears run Leon Arbiter, Aven Mindcensor and Tectonic Edges main. And so on.

I saw a new deck list that runs Spreading Seas main which would also nerf the Urza land.

My Living End paper deck runs Avalanche Riders since it was cheap next to the $30 price tag of Fulminator Mage. It still destroys land though. :)

The format has plenty of unfair decks, though! Storm and Living End can both perform in dailies to some extent. Scapeshift is also pretty unfair and uninteractive, and the more focused Twin decks are still showing up.

Good point! I wasn't thinking about Living End. I need to buy some Fulminators and put that deck back together again; maybe it will reignite the spark that I've lost with Modern. EDIT: They're $35 on MODO? Never mind!!

Tron and Scapeshift are just ramp decks to me; they're totally uninteresting. And yes; Eggs had to die, but it was the last bastion of the kind of combo deck that I really like to play. Storm is still playable, but it's been nerfed so hard that it's not nearly as fun to play as it used to be, and I hate how inconsistent it feels. The pre-ban Storm list I had felt like a well-tuned machine. Post-ban it just feels lacking.

kirblar

The problem with Seething Song's ban looking weird was because we didn't have access to the data point they used. Every other ban was expected.based on tournament data. But they looked at the G1 win % for storm on MTGO and did not like what they saw. And given that Storm G2/3 usually were "did you draw your hate?" I can understand the ban.

Karakand

Playing Tron in Modern is the definition of not fun, seeing how much nonbasic land hate everyone and their mother seems to run. Living End runs Fulminator Mages main, Rock runs Tectonic Edges main and Fulminator Mages sideboard. Jund runs Fulminator Mages sideboard. Merfolk runs Spreading Seas sideboard. Hate Bears run Leon Arbiter, Aven Mindcensor and Tectonic Edges main. And so on.

And the Urzatron player is trying to ramp into a Karn Liberated, which is a hella unfun card to be on the receiving end of.

lol @ Fulminator Mage being a $30 card. NEW WORLD ORDER Y'ALL.

Fulminators being so expensive is because of supply issues. I'm honestly quite surprised it didn't end up in Modern Masters; at this point we likely won't see it reprinted until Modern Masters 2 (since Hybrid is considered a "mechanic" that eats up a set's allowed "complexity").

Fulminators being so expensive is because of supply issues. I'm honestly quite surprised it didn't end up in Modern Masters; at this point we likely won't see it reprinted until Modern Masters 2 (since Hybrid is considered a "mechanic" that eats up a set's allowed "complexity").

I remember a Youtube channel commentator hoping they would show up in M14, but they didn't. He thought that with all of the non- basic lands being used during standard at that time it would have been really good.

This is what I use for budgetary reasons:

52.jpg

It costs one extra mana though.

Firemind

Man, Avalanche Riders was all kinds of rad the last time it got reprinted. Yes, I'd like to Momentary Blink and blow up three of your lands, please.

The good old days.

Jaeyden

I have a paper deck very close to this. Main difference, I play Tallowisp main which means I can have SotGH on an attacking Geist turn 4 before Zur can start to really hammer things out. It's a great deck and if you get the enchantment on a Geist it's GG against fair decks.

I've been brewing a casual Modern deck that uses Arcanum Wings to swap out for an Eldrazi Conscription onto a Hexproof and/or unblockable creature.

The creatures I've put in are:

Geist of St. Traft - Hexproof and he can win the game on his own
Invisible Stalker - Hexproof and unblockable
Blighted Agent - Deals damage with infect and is unblockable so he can win the game in one attack with the Eldrazi Conscription on him.

Do any of you have any speculation on what may be getting a reprint in the next two sets or cards you would like to see?
Just for fun...

I wouldn't mind seeing a Damnation reprint. The price of the card is pretty steep and it could perhaps fit the god theme of the Theros block.

Magic_The_Gathering_Planar_Chaos_damnation.jpg

I don't know if they would have two board wipes like this in standard at the same time though.

y2dvd

Damnation along with Supreme Verdict is a lot of sweeper options for Esper Control lol.

Finally completed a set of mutavaults. It jumped up to $35 jeebus. Had to trade so many valuables for it.

OnPoint

Rang in the new year last night with a game of commander. Got to drop a Gary for 10 devotion, gaining 30 from my 3 remaining opponents after going to 5 from a sliver swarm coming my way. Good times haha

Lucario

Rang in the new year last night with a game of commander. Got to drop a Gary for 10 devotion, gaining 30 from my 3 remaining opponents after going to 5 from a sliver swarm coming my way. Good times haha

you're making me want to build a devotion EDH deck for every god now, gah :p They're all so swingy and fun.

OnPoint

Damnation along with Supreme Verdict is a lot of sweeper options for Esper Control lol.

Finally completed a set of mutavaults. It jumped up to $35 jeebus. Had to trade so many valuables for it.

Just saw this. Why the hell did Mutavault jump like that?

you're making me want to build a devotion EDH deck for every god now, gah :p They're all so swingy and fun.

It's a lot of fun, and the mana base is easy to construct. I had this Monoblack Balthor deck before the devotion mechanic was known, and the cards slid right in so easily.

Top Bottom