• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the GAFering |OT2|

Karakand

Okay, I stand corrected. It will never be reprinted in a core/block set.
But it's an iconic card that is infamous, a card that I don't think Wizards likes. hah

But a Legacy Masters set sounds interesting... you never know! I'm sure they like to make money and just as Modern Masters it would definitely do that for them.

I can hear the complaints now though...

Sorry to be pedantic. :)

Arcbound Ravager got a reprint and it too was an infamous banned card, though Affinity's status as the only substantial aggro deck in Modern of late likely drove that more than anything.

RE Legacy Masters - Complaints from whom? In my hypothetical the Reserved List and card values (e.g. reprinting Force of Will at mythic rare) would be respected. A lot of Legacy staples are fairly recent cards because of how stupidly strong creatures are designed now.

Sorry to be pedantic. :)

Arcbound Ravager got a reprint and it too was an infamous banned card, though Affinity's status as the only substantial aggro deck in Modern of late likely drove that more than anything.

No, that is fine. I need some education to help shape my opinion. :)
I tend to say things like that based on Standard being the source of putting cards into the pool, however that isn't always the case. (Modern Masters, supplemental product)

RE Legacy Masters - Complaints from whom? In my hypothetical the Reserved List and card values (e.g. reprinting Force of Will at mythic rare) would be respected. A lot of Legacy staples are fairly recent cards because of how stupidly strong creatures are designed now.

Oh just people that have valuable cards that don't want to see reprints for fear of it dropping values.

For example, see the tweet about Mutavault posted above.

Personally, I'm all for it. I say make a pre con deck with 4x Tarmogoyf and 4x Dark Confidant. :D

My lgs is already reserving for BotG pre-release. They say you have to pick 1 color, which is weird to me because I thought this set was all about duo-colored gods. With no cards spoiled yet, I think I can wait until I see some cards before choosing a color lol.

Maybe the second color is randomized?

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";95633653]Maybe the second color is randomized?[/QUOTE]
Nah, each color probably just has a single god attached. There's 1 Mythic pre-release pack and 7 non-mythic ones. (They aren't actually random.)

rCIZZLE

Is there that much real demand for SFM or are people just panic buying like with Horizon Canopy and other sudden 2x+ spikes? Figured there'd be more than enough supply for 1 format considering it was somewhat recent and cam as a 2-of in an event deck.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Nah, each color probably just has a single god attached. There's 1 Mythic pre-release pack and 7 non-mythic ones. (They aren't actually random.)

Yeah there's only five gods in this set so that makes sense.

I'm curious if they're going to split them ally-enemy or do something less organized

Is there that much real demand for SFM or are people just panic buying like with Horizon Canopy and other sudden 2x+ spikes? Figured there'd be more than enough supply for 1 format considering it was somewhat recent and cam as a 2-of in an event deck.

I blame everything on speculators. It's a flawed outlook, but hey, they are a good target for blame some of the time.

OnPoint

The finance guy at SCG was saying buy them asap for like a month or longer. I don't know if he was ahead of the curve or him saying that created a curve, but either way, the prophecy was true.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";95646007]It seems like it would be in the best interests of a guy running a card shop to tell people to buy cards.[/QUOTE]
You know I would agree. But he is often wrong too.

Oddly enough, Stoneforge Mystic is completely safe to reprint in Standard if the equipment around her isn't very good (like, say, right now). I could totally see a reprint in a core set sometime down the road.

kirblar

Oddly enough, Stoneforge Mystic is completely safe to reprint in Standard if the equipment around her isn't very good (like, say, right now). I could totally see a reprint in a core set sometime down the road.
There's zero chance of it ever happening. The negative memories attached to it are too strong.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";95656927]You're right though, equipment right now is super ass.[/QUOTE]

You don't want to spend four mana to give a creature +1/+2? That's value right there

OnPoint

It's 2014. I'm going to pick my top 10 new Magic Cards from 2013 and put them in a list! Don't rank "the best" cards just to rank the best, rank your favorites, for whatever reasons.

We gotta do something until spoiler season starts!

I apparently like creatures.

10. (tie) Hundred-Handed One / Akroan Horse

HundredHandedOne.jpg
AkroanHorse.jpg

These cards are the pinnacle of hilariously amazing design to me. The perfect flavor is sublime and application of Akroan Horse is something I never thought I'd see. HHO's awesomely creative use of the Monstrous mechanic is great, and while it's almost entirely unplayable in any format other than EDH as a fringe inclusion, I love it. The design on these is amazing! (Haunted Plate Mail could have also gone with these, no lie, that card is also amazing design)

9. Aetherling

Aetherling.jpg

Just a fantastic finisher in the right deck. I love that it's a call back to the former best-creature-of-all-time. Just a fantastic late game card.

8. Advent of the Wurm

AdventOfTheWurm.jpg

A 5/5 for four is already up my alley. Instant speed and Populate/Parallel Live shenanigans put it over the top for me. I love, love, LOVE surprising people with it as a blocker.

7. Assemble the Legion

AssembleTheLegion.jpg

Give me all the tokens. Give them to me. And I will make you pay. It's a threat that needs answering if the game is going to go long. And it's a lot of fun in a slap-dash token build.

6. Blood Baron of Viskopa

BloodBaronOfVizkopa.jpg

Say what you will, the card is an absolute beast. It's an evasive, powerful threat in fun colors. Awesome card.

5. Boros Charm

BorosCharm.jpg

No card has gotten me out of more jams over 2013 than Boros Charm. Making my creatures indestructible has been an defense in so many games, it's not even funny. But I also love attacking into a situation where my opponent thinks they have better blocks than me, and I just decimate their lines. They really should see that coming.

4. Boros Reckoner

BorosReckoner.jpg

A beefier, better Mogg Maniac that shits all over Spitemare's memory. Creature creep is bad, but sometimes, it's just too fun to ignore.

3. Prossh, Skyraider of Kher

ProsshSkyraiderOfKher.jpg

Just a really cool commander, that rewards you for multiple castings in a really creative manner. I appreciate the attention to detail Wizards is taking with the Commander sets, despite it not being a "real" format.

2. Progenitor Mimic

ProgenitorMimic.jpg

Landing this, plus Acidic Slime was just too much fun all year long.

1. Gideon, Champion of Justice

GideonChampionOfJustice.jpg

Just kidding! This card is absolutely terrible, and I have never seen it get used to any success. Ever!

1. Voice of Resurgence

VoiceOfResurgence.jpg

No card I own caused more headaches for my opponents than this one. It was almost never a dead draw. And it always lived up to the hype. It feels cliche to put it here, and I probably had more FUN with Prog Mimic, but man, Voice did real work for me this year.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gary is my COTY 2013.

Second place probably goes to Omniscience.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
1) Boros Reckoner
2) Boros Reckoner
3) Boros Reckoner
4) Boros Reckoner
5) Search the City
6) Boros Reckoner
7) Boros Reckoner
8) Boros Reckoner
9) Boros Reckoner
10) Boros Reckoner

Firemind

I don't really have a favourite card of the year (all the izzet cards turned out to be disappointments), buy if there's a card I used to steal the most games, it's madcap skills.

Favourite art goes to Cruel Ultimatum Commander 2013 edition. Poor Sarkhan.

10. Thoughtseize

KRb89GJ.jpg

The best non-land card in standard?

9. Titan's Strength

beh8ISX.jpg

RB Reanimator Modern-playable!

8. Yoked Ox

sl24V5s.jpg

I got second at a FNM draft with 5 of these, pick one foil yoked ox.

7. Consuming Aberration

5vcWSng.jpg

I love my big creatures, nothing more satisfying than having a 24/24 creature swinging with unblockable off of Thassa or Rogue's Passage.

6. Creepy Sin Collector

December’s-FNM-Promo-–-Sin-Collector.jpg

Runner up for the best art of the year.

5. Ordeal of Heliod

enJRD69.jpg

The most trolling white card since Land Tax. Enchanting your opponent's creature when they're about to win makes heads turn.

4. Akroan Horse

zLfib2f.jpg

I've drafted this guy 4 times, so he had to make the list. Every time I get him, I know it's time to get every flier possible, maybe even a fleetfeather sandals. Hilarious card.

3. Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver

u4w2vEJ.jpg

Probably my favorite planeswalker of all time, in both art and design. The only one I can think of that actually acts like another player, he draws his own cards and casts his own creatures! He's a planeswalker party organizer!

2. Crypt Incursion

Nl5rPin.jpg

I just love this card, it's hilarious. Ultimate annoyance.

1. Vindicate 2013 Judge Foil

AvXA0zx.jpg

Just the best art in the history of magic cards. No coincidence that there's two Karla Ortiz cards in the top 3.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";95734636]5. Ordeal of Heliod

enJRD69.jpg

The most trolling white card since Land Tax. Enchanting your opponent's creature when they're about to win makes heads turn.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if I understand, if you enchant an opponent's creature, do you gain the life when they have to sac Ordeal of Heliod?

MjFrancis

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";95734636]
1. Vindicate 2013 Judge Foil

AvXA0zx.jpg

Just the best art in the history of magic cards. No coincidence that there's two Karla Ortiz cards in the top 3.[/QUOTE]I didn't know about this judge's foil before, so I looked up the price. I still want it, but I'm not as gung-ho about buying one. Beautiful card.

kirblar

convergecrew asked: Hi mark, I know the hype has died down a bit but I just wanted to stress how much I dislike TNN and how much it negatively affects my legacy experiences. The games come down to "how do I prevent TNN from resolving" rather than playing the board state. Is there anyone in Development I can contact to reiterate my opinions?

R&D is well aware of the public’s feelings on True Name Nemesis and I believe it will impact how we act in the future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Kyi0WNg40 Emphasis mine.

Top Bottom